Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1213187 - 04/01/07 09:03 PM Brake Pads
civicsi52 Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Tulsa, OK
Anyone have an opinion on Hawk HP pads vs. HP Plus? All I do is autocross and driving to work so I think the Plus is too much pad for me. Any other pads you guys recommend?
#52 G-Stock
NeOkla Region

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#1214036 - 04/01/07 11:52 PM Re: Brake Pads [Re: civicsi52]
eye-5 Offline

Loc: Chicago
For autocross, I've found Cobalt Friction GT Sports to be the best. They don't have to heat up for bite like many track only pads. Many of the autocrossers around here swear by them.
05 RSX Type S. Chicgo Region SCCA #688 STX. TSSCC #688 STX. MCSCC #88 B Modified.

#1216495 - 04/02/07 05:58 PM Re: Brake Pads [Re: eye-5]
farfrommugen Offline
Poster

Loc: NW Burbs, IL
I completly agree! I using the Cobalt GT-S on the front only and its very nice
Sometimes racing is like taking a cold shower while tearing up hundred dollar bills ||-|| (()) ||\\|| ||)) //\\ 2006 Civic Si Taffeta White w/ Navi <traded in>1998 Civic Ex Cypress Green Pearl (So Long, And Thanks For All The Shifts) www.scca-chicago.com www.tsscc.org

#2272851 - 01/29/08 01:51 PM Re: Brake Pads [Re: farfrommugen]
civicsi52 Offline
Jr Poster

Bringing this topic back from the dead... I think I might try the HPS pads first. While I have heard great things about the Cobalt's, I think I will go with somthing a little less aggressive, at least to start with. I have heard other complaints about the stock pads so I figure anything with more bite should stop better than stock.
So here's my question... should one replace front and rear pads or just the front? The car only has 13k miles on it. Also, would one have the rotors surfaced or just get some Brembo blanks?
#52 G-Stock
NeOkla Region

#2274379 - 01/29/08 08:13 PM Re: Brake Pads [Re: civicsi52]
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Does the car have koni's or R comps yet? Brakes are the last place to get time.

I've autocrossed with HP+, Axxis Ultimates (similar to HPS?), and a street biased Cobalt pad. By far I liked the cobalt's the best, followed by the HP+. The cobalts have the best street manners and softer engagement than the Hawk's. The HP+ throw off a lot of dust, squeal on slow stops and when they're cold, bite like hell, and have great modulation. It took some effort to not overbrake with them, but once you get used to them they were definitely more "racy".

#2275576 - 01/30/08 07:25 AM Re: Brake Pads [Re: skierd]
civicsi52 Offline
Jr Poster

Yes the car will be on R-Comps this year. I realize the tire is definitely more important than the brakes. Konis are not available yet. I just really hate the way the pedal feels on hard stops. It's like there are no brakes at all. Are the Cobalts easy to get used to? I have never driven on R-comps and I hate to do too many things at once. Thanks for the input.
#52 G-Stock
NeOkla Region

#2275579 - 01/30/08 07:30 AM Re: Brake Pads [Re: civicsi52]
CivicRacerExR Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Landisville, PA, USA
 Originally Posted By: civicsi52
I just really hate the way the pedal feels on hard stops. It's like there are no brakes at all.

Have you tried flushing the brake fluid? Or even replace it with Motul or Valvoline Synpower brake fluid?
Buy my Civic parts!

#2283288 - 01/31/08 11:38 PM Re: Brake Pads [Re: CivicRacerExR]
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

What kind of R-comps? I say leave the pads alone and save for the koni's that will be available in a few weeks/months. More aggressive pads will only lead to locking up the brakes easier, flat spotting those nice new tires into oblivion.

Try flushing/changing the fluid, that helps a ton with pedal feel. You want the pedal to be hard, to the point that you modulate them with pressure, not pedal travel. It takes a few times to get it right, but its so sweet when it is.

#2283802 - 02/01/08 08:10 AM Re: Brake Pads [Re: skierd]
civicsi52 Offline
Jr Poster

Kumho V710's. I have thought about flat spotting those tires with a more aggressive pad. Especially since I've never driven on sticky tires. I appreciate the advice guys and I will try some new fluid this year.
No Koni's this year. I am not trying to upgrade the car to be faster, the driver needs more work than the car. I just want the brakes to feel firm. They are kinda scary sometimes.
#52 G-Stock
NeOkla Region

#2284421 - 02/01/08 12:04 PM Re: Brake Pads [Re: civicsi52]
SFSD Si Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Sioux Falls SD
For the fluid, the guys I raced with last year and I all used the Valvoline Syn Power brake fluid. We didn't have anyone boil the fluid all year. I highly recommend it for stock component braking systems.
#2286981 - 02/02/08 07:15 AM Re: Brake Pads [Re: SFSD Si]
CivicRacerExR Offline
Post Master Sr

And to chime in about the pads. I had HP+ and HPS on my EM1 and personally I loved the HP+ over the HPS. Yeah there is some squealing but I turned up my radio and really pissed off people with their windows down \:\)

They did really dust but as long as you rinse off your wheels every other day or so you are good.
Buy my Civic parts!

#2286982 - 02/02/08 07:17 AM Re: Brake Pads [Re: skierd]
CivicRacerExR Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: skierd
What kind of R-comps? I say leave the pads alone and save for the koni's that will be available in a few weeks/months. More aggressive pads will only lead to locking up the brakes easier, flat spotting those nice new tires into oblivion.

Try flushing/changing the fluid, that helps a ton with pedal feel. You want the pedal to be hard, to the point that you modulate them with pressure, not pedal travel. It takes a few times to get it right, but its so sweet when it is.

I agree on my 91 Civic Si which was an awesome STS car. When I first got it the brake pedal was mush, pedal went to the floor at the one huge autocross we held - SCARY! Didn't think it would stop.

Took it to my sponsor who flushed the entire system and the pedal was rock hard \:\)
Buy my Civic parts!

#2288412 - 02/03/08 12:10 AM Re: Brake Pads [Re: CivicRacerExR]
AX-NY'06Si Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Southern NY State
I have HPS which are only a mild improvement, mostly on initial bite. Will be getting HP+ for track and if they are that much of an improvement, I will leave them on for Autocross. I have heard alot of talk about the SynPower. Anybody use it at the track?

#2288632 - 02/03/08 03:27 AM Re: Brake Pads [Re: AX-NY'06Si]
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

Synpower is good fluid. Nice high dry and wet boiling point, meaning it doesn't need to be changed as often since it'll still maintain performance as it ages and absorbs water. Its also available everywhere.

HP+ are NOT track pads. Great initial bite and friction range, but once you overheat them they're worthless. That means you going off course quickly.

#2291645 - 02/04/08 10:24 AM Re: Brake Pads [Re: skierd]
AX-NY'06Si Offline
Jr Member

Originally Posted By: skierd
HP+ are NOT track pads. Great initial bite and friction range, but once you overheat them they're worthless. That means you going off course quickly.

A couple of experienced friends swore by HP+. Are you sure they aren't good for track? What would you recommend instead?

#2293323 - 02/04/08 05:18 PM Re: Brake Pads [Re: AX-NY'06Si]
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

I can't remember where I saw on Hawk's website now, but they mentioned what I said above. Its easy enough to swap pads, why not do it and be sure you're safe?

If I still had a car for track racing, I'd be using these:
http://bhpbrakes.com/

#2294076 - 02/04/08 08:53 PM Re: Brake Pads [Re: skierd]
AX-NY'06Si Offline
Jr Member

Sounds great, will call. Hopefully not too pricy.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Runnin@Redline Jr, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads