Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1196199 - 03/27/07 10:35 AM New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!!
GRIP TUNING Offline

Greetings guys!

I'm the designer for Griptuning.com . We have started working on a lip kit for the 8th gen Civic coupe, and wanted to get your opinions before we move forward!
Please let me know what you think, and which ones you like best!

Thanks!

Videos
#1196220 - 03/27/07 10:41 AM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: GRIP TUNING]
DMA4Ever Offline
Post Master

Loc: Glens Falls, NY
i actually really them. it's very subtle. why not produce all the designs to give people more options? i'd much rather do a lip kit then then bumper replacements. any idea on pricing? will they be urethane or fiberglass? if they are fiberglass i would never purchase them because of how easily they can be shattered and fitment can be tough sometimes without a lot of work.

#1196312 - 03/27/07 11:08 AM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: DMA4Ever]
GRIP TUNING Offline

What would you expect to pay for a kit like this, assuming 4 pieces (front, rear and sides) high quality ABS material, with above average fitment quality (and a superb warranty/customer service)?
#1196386 - 03/27/07 11:23 AM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: GRIP TUNING]
DMA4Ever Offline
Post Master

hmmm, when i did a lip kit on my wrx i believe it was $400ish for a nice quality kit. did u have any idea what u were possibly going to price them as? there should be a price to do them individually and then a price for purchasing the entire kit together.

#1196404 - 03/27/07 11:28 AM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: DMA4Ever]
GRIP TUNING Offline

Originally Posted By: DMA4Ever
hmmm, when i did a lip kit on my wrx i believe it was $400ish for a nice quality kit. did u have any idea what u were possibly going to price them as? there should be a price to do them individually and then a price for purchasing the entire kit together.

Yes, that is correct, available as a full kit, or individual pieces. You paid $400 for front, rear and side skirts?

#1196413 - 03/27/07 11:31 AM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: GRIP TUNING]
DMA4Ever Offline
Post Master

Originally Posted By: GRIP TUNING

Yes, that is correct, available as a full kit, or individual pieces. You paid $400 for front, rear and side skirts?

i did. individually it was more expensive, but when purchased as a kit there was a discounted rate. all pieces were high quality urethane. i don't remember the exact figure, but before shipping it was in the $400 range.

#1196421 - 03/27/07 11:32 AM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: GRIP TUNING]
FijiBlu10 Offline
Poster

Loc: Miami, FL
Well the honda dealership asks way too much money for lip kits but aftermarket for the whole thing should be no more than 700 to 800. If your selling it for that cheap then its probably not that good of quality. What about the Sedan?

#1196426 - 03/27/07 11:34 AM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: FijiBlu10]
FijiBlu10 Offline
Poster

what about pre-painted or primed?

#1196437 - 03/27/07 11:38 AM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: FijiBlu10]
DMA4Ever Offline
Post Master

Originally Posted By: FijiBlu10
Well the honda dealership asks way too much money for lip kits but aftermarket for the whole thing should be no more than 700 to 800. If your selling it for that cheap then its probably not that good of quality. What about the Sedan?

i'll be honest. there is no way i'd pay $700-800 for a lip kit. the hfp kit can be purchased for just over than and they come painted. most i'd ever pay for a lip kit, and it's pushing it, would be $500.

#1196471 - 03/27/07 11:44 AM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: DMA4Ever]
FijiBlu10 Offline
Poster

Thats why I asked if it came painted because if it didn't than I understand why it would only be 400 or 500. No more than that. Not worth it.

#1196498 - 03/27/07 11:53 AM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: FijiBlu10]
FijiBlu10 Offline
Poster

I was wondering if you could do something like this maybe for the sedan and the coupe for the back. I would be willing to change exhaust just to have this look to the back end. I have contacted some custom shops but they still haven't told me a price. Realistically and Obviously I would only need the rear unless honda has a patent on it?

#1196506 - 03/27/07 11:55 AM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: FijiBlu10]
GRIP TUNING Offline

Where did you find a urethane WRX lip kit for 400 bucks?
#1196512 - 03/27/07 11:57 AM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: FijiBlu10]
HabaneroSedan Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
the HFP kit is really quite a good deal. Most good quality kits I've seen in the past were like 900-1200 painted.

#1196522 - 03/27/07 12:00 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: GRIP TUNING]
DMA4Ever Offline
Post Master

Where did you find a urethane WRX lip kit for 400 bucks?

this was almost 3 years ago, i can't even remember. i'll see what i can find.

#1196529 - 03/27/07 12:02 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: DMA4Ever]
GRIP TUNING Offline

I just searched the internet and any full lip kit, for a new, popular car seems to be 700+ (Unless it's fiberglass).
#1196540 - 03/27/07 12:04 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: GRIP TUNING]
SinFL Offline
Post Master

Is the wing on the green version something you are thinking of producing as well?

#1196550 - 03/27/07 12:05 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: SinFL]
GRIP TUNING Offline

Possibly....the kit would be first...
#1196559 - 03/27/07 12:07 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: GRIP TUNING]
DMA4Ever Offline
Post Master

I just searched the internet and any full lip kit, for a new, popular car seems to be 700+ (Unless it's fiberglass).

u asked for our input. i personally think companies overprice their kits, which is why i haven't bought one yet. i'll probably just end up buying a used kit if i can't get a new one for a respectable price. $700+ is way too much for a "lip" kit, not a full bumper replacement. be a company that sells the kit for a fair price. hell, even make a special price for csi members.

#1196580 - 03/27/07 12:12 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: DMA4Ever]
GRIP TUNING Offline

Right, I appreciate the input...typically, consumers have no idea what real world costs are involved with producing a real quality kit (present company excluded), and $400.00 for a 4 piece, urethane kit means that they are probobly loosing money on it (either that or they are selling 5000 units)

I just wanted to feel out what you guys on the forums thought was the median price for a comparable kit.

#1196673 - 03/27/07 12:33 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: GRIP TUNING]
DMA4Ever Offline
Post Master

Right, I appreciate the input...typically, consumers have no idea what real world costs are involved with producing a real quality kit (present company excluded), and $400.00 for a 4 piece, urethane kit means that they are probobly loosing money on it (either that or they are selling 5000 units)

I just wanted to feel out what you guys on the forums thought was the median price for a comparable kit.

not being an ass here, so don't please don't take it the wrong way. explain to us how much it costs to produce a kit. what price did u have in mind to see a profit? were u thinking $700, $800, $900?

#1197046 - 03/27/07 02:06 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: DMA4Ever]
Bjam99 Offline

I've seen full bumper replacement kits for 800 - 1200 around the internet. If this is just a lip kit i wouldn't want to pay half that. I know the HFP kit online is at $1000 (even more at a dealershit) and i can understand that since its painted and and already overpriced coming from Honda.

#1197061 - 03/27/07 02:12 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: Bjam99]
DMA4Ever Offline
Post Master

Originally Posted By: Bjam99
I've seen full bumper replacement kits for 800 - 1200 around the internet. If this is just a lip kit i wouldn't want to pay half that. I know the HFP kit online is at $1000 (even more at a dealershit) and i can understand that since its painted and and already overpriced coming from Honda.

pretty much the point i was trying to make. spending $700-800 on an unpainted lip kit is ridiculous in my opinion. if a company is really interested in making a lip kit then the price should be reasonable enough to want to purchase. the kits in the sketches look great, but not $800 great.

#1197073 - 03/27/07 02:15 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: DMA4Ever]
GRIP TUNING Offline

I have still yet to find a quality full lip kit for 400 dollars.....
#1197085 - 03/27/07 02:20 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: GRIP TUNING]
DMA4Ever Offline
Post Master

for all i know the vendor is no longer is business. it's been so long i just can't recall. u asked our opinions, obviously very few, if any, would be willing to spend $700-800 on a kit that's not oem quality like the hfp kit. so sell it for what u want. why even ask? the are nice kits, but there is not a chance in this world i'd buy one new if u are going to go any higher then $500. sorry, i'd spend that kind of money on performance parts.

#1197088 - 03/27/07 02:21 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: GRIP TUNING]
Bjam99 Offline

and you may not.

I like the rear ends in those sketches but the front ends arent too appealing to me.

#1197115 - 03/27/07 02:30 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: DMA4Ever]
GRIP TUNING Offline

for all i know the vendor is no longer is business. it's been so long i just can't recall. u asked our opinions, obviously very few, if any, would be willing to spend $700-800 on a kit that's not oem quality like the hfp kit. so sell it for what u want. why even ask? the are nice kits, but there is not a chance in this world i'd buy one new if u are going to go any higher then $500. sorry, i'd spend that kind of money on performance parts.

Not OEM quality? I wouldn't say that just yet... ;-) I value opinions. Honestly, I'm not sure where our pricing is going to end up, but I'm not sure it's even actually possible at all to make a quality kit, for peanuts.

Edited by GRIP TUNING (03/27/07 02:32 PM)

#1197145 - 03/27/07 02:36 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: GRIP TUNING]
DMA4Ever Offline
Post Master

Not OEM quality? I wouldn't say that just yet... ;-) I value opinions. Honestly, I'm not sure where our pricing is going to end up, but I'm not sure it's even actually possible at all to make a quality kit, for peanuts.

peanuts? i wouldn't call $500 for no-go parts peanuts. sorry, but that's a lot of money to me. i'm just telling u, $700-800 is just too much for an unknown company such as yourself. sorry, just never heard of u. now, wings west, fine, they are a very reputable company and very well established. if i'm going to spend $700-800 on a kit i'd go with them before u because of their reputation and the fact that i've owned ww full body kits, lips, and wings.

#1197156 - 03/27/07 02:38 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: DMA4Ever]
GRIP TUNING Offline

http://www.griptuning.com

Just because we are only a few years old, does not automatically mean we are junk. How many times has "wings west" traded hands the past 5 years?

The fact of the matter, all I did was ask what you guys think comparable kits are selling for. You may, or may not be a potential customer. Our idea was to do a service to the enthusiasts by asking them what they thought before we proceeded with manufacturing.

Not only that but 7-800 dollars from my exhaustive research is very reasonable for what you get. Razzi kits are generally 7-800 depending on where you purchase them. They are one of the lower-cost mass producers of add-on type kits. You can typically expect 50-80,000 worth of tooling/development to produce an ABS kit. Urethane tooling is at, or above $100k typically.

We very much pride ourselves on superior fitment (as evident by 2 awards at SEMA last year for our Neon hood, and our Design Excellence award from DCX in 2005 for our 300c kit). That being said, quality is one area we won't skimp on.

Edited by GRIP TUNING (03/27/07 02:47 PM)

#1197183 - 03/27/07 02:44 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: GRIP TUNING]
DMA4Ever Offline
Post Master

http://www.griptuning.com

Just because we are only a few years old, does not automatically mean we are junk. How many times has "wings west" traded hands the past 5 years?

take offense, that's fine. i wasn't trying to start a war. look, u asked for opinions and i give u props on the designs, definately something i would run on my si and i am actually looking to do a lip kit in the near future. i'm just telling u, i personally will not spend over $500 for a kit, just won't happen. i'd buy a used kit, just like i have in the past and save some money. i wasn't saying u weren't reputable, but i've been in the import scene for 6+ years and i have never heard of u. i have owned si's, wrx, wrx sti, mazda 3, and scion tc just in those years and have dealt with many different companies. i've just never come across your company in all my research and part buying experience.

#1197184 - 03/27/07 02:44 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: FijiBlu10]
FijiBlu10 Offline
Poster

I was wondering if you could do something like this maybe for the sedan and the coupe for the back. I would be willing to change exhaust just to have this look to the back end. I have contacted some custom shops but they still haven't told me a price. Realistically and Obviously I would only need the rear unless honda has a patent on it?

I guess that my post was ignored? I asked to see if you were going to develop any lip kits for the sedan and if you were to take this picture into consideration. Your prerogative whether or not you want to take my advice.

Honestly, everyone is asking how much does it really take to manufacture such a lip kit. Your response was that they (other manufacturers) can sell it for 400 or 500 because they make 5000 units. What are your intentions for production? Do you just want to make 100 or 200 units? Do you want to satisfy your customers while making a profit? or do you just want to make money? How are you planning to advertise? Word of mouth? Internet? Magazines? Are you thinking nationwide or globally? Think of how many cars honda makes each year. The 06 and 07 are the same car. You have a specialty product that people are willing to buy.

People can tell the difference in product quality. If you were to manufacture a high quality product with an affordable price then you would be able to make your profit and satify the customer. Sometimes you sacrifce in the short run to gain customer loyalty in the long run. I'm not saying to give it away but also don't overprice because then we (the consumer) feel like we're getting taken advantage of. I'm sure that you've taken a lot of the topics that I stated here into consideration but maybe you haven't and should. Let me know about the sedan.

#1197222 - 03/27/07 02:53 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: FijiBlu10]
GRIP TUNING Offline

I guess that my post was ignored? I asked to see if you were going to develop any lip kits for the sedan and if you were to take this picture into consideration. Your prerogative whether or not you want to take my advice.

Honestly, everyone is asking how much does it really take to manufacture such a lip kit. Your response was that they (other manufacturers) can sell it for 400 or 500 because they make 5000 units. What are your intentions for production? Do you just want to make 100 or 200 units? Do you want to satisfy your customers while making a profit? or do you just want to make money? How are you planning to advertise? Word of mouth? Internet? Magazines? Are you thinking nationwide or globally? Think of how many cars honda makes each year. The 06 and 07 are the same car. You have a specialty product that people are willing to buy.

People can tell the difference in product quality. If you were to manufacture a high quality product with an affordable price then you would be able to make your profit and satify the customer. Sometimes you sacrifce in the short run to gain customer loyalty in the long run. I'm not saying to give it away but also don't overprice because then we (the consumer) feel like we're getting taken advantage of. I'm sure that you've taken a lot of the topics that I stated here into consideration but maybe you haven't and should. Let me know about the sedan.
The sedan is definately being considered. The goal is to create an affordable, quality kit first and foremost. If you want to take a look at some of our advertising (which we have been running for well over a year now) pick up the newest HCI, Dub, Rides, (previously we have run ads in Celebrity car) Restyling, SEMA News, ATRN, etc.. (Many trade magazines) as well as purchasing an episode of 2 guys garage, where they installed one of our 300c kits. Our presence is known in other markets, but the "tuner" market is one that we are trying to penetrate. Just tryign to be informative. I figured I'd take our designs to the enthusiasts to get their input first.

#1197259 - 03/27/07 03:07 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: GRIP TUNING]
FijiBlu10 Offline
Poster

If your goal is to make it an *affordable & *quality kit then why are you thinking of making the retail price 700? Honestly, I do like the kits because they appeal to different types of enthusiasts. If you had describe what type of company you are which would it be?
#1197377 - 03/27/07 03:32 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: FijiBlu10]
Hondasareneat Offline
Poster

Loc: Country
I like them. I'd buy them. You get what you pay for, that's how I see things.
If you can afford it why not. I think people have a problem with prices when they cannot afford it.

#1197809 - 03/27/07 05:09 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: Hondasareneat]
OMFGPWND Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
Is it me or do some of those pics make it look like A Tc ???

#1197821 - 03/27/07 05:19 PM Re: New Body Kit! Input needed!!!!!! [Re: GRIP TUNING]
Design Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC

I would expect a quality kit for about 800-1200. I understand that some companies like Wings West reproduce their mold stamps after so many "presses." Will you do the same?

How durable are your kits compared to factory urethane?
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Design, A_Mantis, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts