stickaz_old
(Post Master Supreme)
10/10/12 12:28 PM
new personal best on my bike commute

notes: this is a 36# freeride mtbike (nomad) on knobbies, and it doesn't have the 'big ring', swapped for a bashguard. So it's not terribly fast, I'm spinning pretty cray to hit about 18 mph.

In this area you will hate on me for commuting on my mtbike instead of a roadie

Not bad for a commute full of lights, traffic, etc all. Plus over the same route as the light rail I beat the train by 10 minutes, holy hell! If you look at the second graph I'm slowing/sitting for about 9 different lights over this route

Ares
(Post Master Supreme)
10/10/12 12:31 PM
Re: new personal best on my bike commute

lol did the cliff hurt at 32minutes?

stickaz_old
(Post Master Supreme)
10/10/12 12:44 PM

I started feeling gassed around 30m also, I remember feeling it. I did sorta skip lunch because of meetings, probably had something to do with it

Ares
(Post Master Supreme)
10/10/12 12:59 PM

well I mean, the elevation is pretty smooth, then you take a 15foot drop for a second. probably a glitch, but I wanted to make a bad joke.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
10/10/12 01:00 PM

If you ever hop on a road bike you'll feel like you're flying. \:D

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
10/10/12 02:24 PM

I ride a mountain bike and average 15 mph on trail rides (lots of steep up and downs). 18mph on relatively flat rides. I should buy a damn road bike though.

stickaz_old
(Post Master Supreme)
10/10/12 10:28 PM

super big improvement on the biggest hill on my route, tied the QOM time on my MTB \:\)
I was super gassed after that effort lol and was cruising for like the next mile after that. Fun though \:\)

Ares
(Post Master Supreme)
10/11/12 11:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Impetuous
I ride a mountain bike and average 15 mph on trail rides (lots of steep up and downs). 18mph on relatively flat rides. I should buy a damn road bike though.

if the goal is exercise... I dont see why you would want to make it easier. hell, hang some weights on the bike, up the resistance.

Unless its a race, or your really doing it for transportation ONLY, what benefit is a road bike?

gamby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/11/12 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Ares

Unless its a race, or your really doing it for transportation ONLY, what benefit is a road bike?

Going faster is always more fun.

Commuting on a freeride bike is a little nuts, though. Props for commuting on any bike though.

stickaz_old
(Post Master Supreme)
10/12/12 05:49 PM

I think there's more than one way to define 'fun', to me 'fun' is being able to bomb down some stairs, bunny hop some curbs to take the sidewalk over a particularly sketchy traffic environment, also there's 2 trails I can jump on for about 1-2 miles ea (coyote creek and guadalupe creek trails), plus I dont have to worry about blowouts, gravel, instability or any of that crap and I plain prefer riding a mtbike, has a much more comfortable stance

pretty much the least fun thing to me is riding a roadie with bike shorts clipped in while maintaining a tuck.

I understand probably 95% of bike commuters do it on a roadie or a hybrid though, but I don't think it's for 'fun', rather speed is the main variable. No argument from me on that one.

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
10/12/12 08:34 PM

I'd just increased my distance and work just as hard. I just hate pushing it at 100% and getting passed.

Relix
(Post Master Supreme)
10/13/12 02:53 AM

Pretty cool program I can't wait to test it out Monday. Do I need any attachments for my phone to get a readout like you have in this tread?

stickaz_old
(Post Master Supreme)
10/15/12 12:31 PM

no, it just leverages your built in GPS

gamby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/15/12 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: stickaz
I think there's more than one way to define 'fun', to me 'fun' is being able to bomb down some stairs, bunny hop some curbs to take the sidewalk over a particularly sketchy traffic environment, also there's 2 trails I can jump on for about 1-2 miles ea (coyote creek and guadalupe creek trails), plus I dont have to worry about blowouts, gravel, instability or any of that crap and I plain prefer riding a mtbike, has a much more comfortable stance

pretty much the least fun thing to me is riding a roadie with bike shorts clipped in while maintaining a tuck.

I understand probably 95% of bike commuters do it on a roadie or a hybrid though, but I don't think it's for 'fun', rather speed is the main variable. No argument from me on that one.

No hate here. If I commuted, I'd be on my singlespeed, which can still hop curbs (700x35 tires) and I know I wouldn't be hucking down any stairsets on the way to work.

You'd be STUNNED at how fast you'd go on a road bike after getting conditioned to that freeride bike, though. \:\)

stickaz_old
(Post Master Supreme)
11/13/12 08:57 PM

I passed 100 miles today (missed a few runs), and seemed to have dropped about 3 minutes in the ET. woot, some of that is shaving ~0.2 miles off the route, tho

had about 2 weeks downtime due to an epic dual-flat scenario and a coupla business trips

gamby
(Post Master Supreme)
11/13/12 11:56 PM

That's a pretty massive jump in average speed. That's a respectable average speed for a road bike, for crying out loud.

Props for sticking with it.

stickaz_old
(Post Master Supreme)
11/14/12 11:41 AM

so close to my first KOM this morning:

I think I just need to roll-into that segment at a higher speed and I got it. 1 second! Spinning pretty ridiculously in the middle ring (bash gear mtb on 2.1 knobbies)

stickaz_old
(Post Master Supreme)
11/30/12 11:28 AM

2 months in, shows just crossed 200 miles this morning riding/100 miles jogging from this app: not showing pool time/surfing which is ~3x/week
still haven't KOM'd that Oscar guy on the recumbant , I don't think I've commuted by car more than once or twice in 2 months

gamby
(Post Master Supreme)
12/01/12 12:10 PM

Maybe you should think about a cyclocross bike instead of a road bike. They can take a lot more of a beating. It would be a VERY fast commuter that could still hop curbs with ease.

You would then pwn Oscar. STRAAAAAAAAVAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!11!!!

stickaz_old
(Post Master Supreme)
12/06/12 11:52 PM

minor update: first reasonable effort on the new bike (2010 specialized sirrus sport)
It looks like it's 1:19 seconds quicker than my best mtb commute above (34:11) and the average mph is ~0.6 better. I think I hit an extra red light or two so not super-comparable. I'm guessing it's maybe almost 2 minutes quicker on avg
which seems like less than you'd expect. I'm definitely not working as hard tho lol and there are a ton of sections I have to slow/hesitate that I just bomb on the mtb
on a side note my electric bike did this route in 29 minutes and change (it basically sits at 19-20 on the flats and I pedal assist starting from a stop or any little hill)

stickaz_old
(Post Master Supreme)
12/12/12 11:42 PM

noticed I'm a bit faster unloaded
on my lunch hour I pushed it a little on a hill I don't usually ride and managed a good steady ~21 mph up the ~80' creek overpass near where I work, fulltime clipons now. I tied most of the sprint segments on my ebike already with the sirrus (and carrying commuter-gear, backpack/etc), notbad. Of course the ebike is about to be 2x faster heh