(Post Master Supreme)
09/26/12 05:59 PM
Backsquats

GET SOME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYjdS2ouf1Q&feature=share&list=UU6FEJ9oV1X3_lC64UGpxcEA

FireInTheWhole
(Post Master Supreme)
09/26/12 06:35 PM
Re: Backsquats

Lower.

(Post Master Supreme)
09/26/12 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: FireInTheWhole
Lower.

want to explain the effectiveness of ass to ankles? You hit a deadzone right under parallel and a whole different set of muscles comes in to play to get you right back into the group you used to do anything above *shrugs*

Rob has mobility problems in his left ankle he's working on, I noticed he is not hitting parallel on some of those heavier reps.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
09/26/12 07:06 PM

That looks like a sweet gym

Back 5
(Post Master Supreme)
09/26/12 08:59 PM

I've always felt like full squats were much better for the body versus parallel. Your knees take too much strain on a parallel squat. When you do a full squat your hamstrings fire at the bottom, which helps propel you upwards. Parallel squats will tend to overwork your quads and neglect your hamstrings.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/26/12 10:22 PM

And all you guys screaming go lower, I bet none of you are as tall as that dude... Tall fucks typically just don't have that deep squatting in them... That's for you stubby fucks... ;\)

Back 5
(Post Master Supreme)
09/26/12 10:39 PM

137 isn't that tall man.

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
09/26/12 11:03 PM

Tall is like 6'4". Looks like you could go a lot lower.

I don't backsquat, though, so what the fuck do I know?

(Post Master Supreme)
09/27/12 12:23 AM

I'm 5'8 Rob is 6'2 he gets pretty low for his size. He can lift a lot more but he's also squatting with heel spurs and that fucked up ankle. Just picked up orthodics for his feet today so that should be interesting to see how he adjusts.

He's my main workout partner because he lifts heavy and we have the same schedules roughly. Plus he's not afraid of listening to idea's for new workouts we normally don't do to strengthen area's he sucks at. Lots of joint problems on that guy. While I have no problem going ass to ankles on overhead squats, snatches, etc. I don't like doing them for heavy squats as mentioned. It's too easy to engage muscles you shouldn't be engaging.

Much less rolling forward on your toes to propel the weight back up.

BEEEEFY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=LI_v_Iz4CmY&NR=1

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/27/12 08:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Back 5
137 isn't that tall man.

Wasn't referring to him...

**DONOTDELETE**
()
09/27/12 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Silock

Why not?

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
09/27/12 04:52 PM

I can't do it any more. I have a PARS defect in my spine. One of my lower back vertebrae is essentially just cartilage on one side that never calcified into bone. It basically won't "hook" into the other vertebrae, which, under heavy loads, can shift all the weight forward and cause me to try to compensate for the lack of the spine's foundation with my lower back muscles. Not a good thing.

So, I can't do anything that puts a significant load on my back any longer. Instead of traditional back squats, I do Bulgarian barbell single leg squats. That way I can use about the same amount of weight per leg as I would on a traditional squat with only half the load on my lower back.

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
09/27/12 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: 137
I don't like doing them for heavy squats as mentioned. It's too easy to engage muscles you shouldn't be engaging.

Much less rolling forward on your toes to propel the weight back up

I don't understand how this is an issue from the lowest squat depth. At that point, all the weight should be on the heels, and going back up is simply a matter of driving the power through them.

(Post Master Supreme)
09/27/12 11:38 PM

If doing squats were that easy I'd be lifting 600lbs

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
09/27/12 11:52 PM

No, I just don't get it. There shouldn't be any inclination to lean forward while squatting. If there is, then there should be a form check and an examination of core strength.

(Post Master Supreme)
09/28/12 12:10 AM

No, I just don't get it. There shouldn't be any inclination to lean forward while squatting. If there is, then there should be a form check and an examination of core strength.

I wouldn't be able to tell you the specifics, you're more than free to email bob takano at takanoathletics.com as he loves answering questions like this.

Rumbelstiltskin
(Post Master Sr)
09/28/12 02:23 AM

Olympic vs powerlifting squats maybe?

**DONOTDELETE**
()
09/28/12 05:44 AM

Back 5
(Post Master Supreme)
09/28/12 06:39 AM

137 is and always will be a cross-fit homer. Any trainer with a book published who writes positively about cross-fit can do no wrong.

We've had this discussion with him many times over full squats and other lifting techniques. His answer is always email so and so, he trained this and that person and knows more than anyone.

EDIT: Not trying to take away anything from the progress 137 is making though. He looks great compared to how he did last year.

(Post Master Supreme)
09/28/12 07:00 AM

I've done backsquats like this my entire time in a gym since high school, I am not new to backsquatting and read books about what I'm doing wrong I also never make any posts about how I have knee pain, back pain, or joint pain like a lot of people on this forum do.

I am not an expert I am just a different person. This has nothing to do with crossfit, nor did anything in this post have to do with crossfit so I don't even understand why that was brought up?

Bob Takano is a United States Olympic Weight Lifting Coach like the real deal not all of you CSi'ers and your starting strength books who can point out what they feel is incorrect. I simply said I'm not the person to ask or justify why I don't hit my ass cheeks with my ankles nor did I say anyone told me what I'm doing is right.

What I'm doing is working for me, I'm at parallel and it's going back up, essentially that's how squatting works. If I want big hamstrings I'll do good mornings, sumos, straight legs, etc. If my core was an issue I wouldn't be squatting 330+ to begin with!

I don't know why everyone has to get into some spastic conversation on this forum about who's right and who's wrong like you get forum karma points for being correct in all of your postings.

I simply shared me doing some backsquats, I don't look like dogshit doing them, it's a fairly heavy weight.

What's the disconnect here CSi?

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
09/28/12 11:09 AM

If my core was an issue I wouldn't be squatting 330+ to begin with!

Not at all trying to be a dick, but this isn't true. Your core strength must go up proportionally with the weight you're moving. So, your core strength may be just fine for a lower weight, but be inadequate for higher weight. This is where accessory work comes into play to fix the deficiencies so that the main lifts may continue to rise.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/28/12 11:16 AM

You're fighting a losing battle Wayne cause even if you were biomechanically limited in some fashion they'd still tell you you're wrong...

I'm sure everyone here could be nit picked on their form on nearly every exercise unless they are lifting weights that aren't heavy enough to promote progressive overload...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
09/28/12 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: DieZel
You're fighting a losing battle Wayne cause even if you were biomechanically limited in some fashion they'd still tell you you're wrong...

I'm sure everyone here could be nit picked on their form on nearly every exercise unless they are lifting weights that aren't heavy enough to promote progressive overload...

Biomechanics can usually be fixed, especially if it's a flexibility issue or core strength issue.

And I'm not personally picking on his form. I just still don't understand how anyone can want to lean on their toes more just because they go low on a squat. That seriously just sounds like a form issue, that again, can be easily fixed.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/28/12 03:39 PM

it's likely a flexibility issue, at least from my experience... flexibility can certainly be increased, but takes a long time...

i consider myself a generally flexible person, but when it comes to my hip flexors and getting down into a deep sqaut, my body is like "hey fuck off dick, i don't move like that"...

i could could attribute it to the 2 6" steel screws in my hips, but i'm pretty sure it's just tight hip flexors...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
09/28/12 03:47 PM

Most people also don't want to work on flexibility. I know I don't. It sucks. It's boring as shit. And for it to be effective, you have to do it many times per day.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/28/12 04:43 PM

yeah who has that kind of time...? \:D

since i've stopped doing cardio i've pretty much cut out 90% of the stretching i was doing afterwards...

still trying to get some rolling in a few times a week but even that has slacked off unless i feel i "need it"...

**DONOTDELETE**
()
09/28/12 05:25 PM

137 - good stuff

(Post Master Supreme)
09/28/12 07:29 PM

Most people also don't want to work on flexibility. I know I don't. It sucks. It's boring as shit. And for it to be effective, you have to do it many times per day.

Yeah my workout partner is all about this shit now.

Also did some front squats this morning. This is why I don't like going below parallel. You can say what you want about people not rolling forward, I can find plenty of video's where your weight will transfer to your toes and back to your heels to get out of the defecit/hole on below parallel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2uhg3F25ss&feature=share&list=UU6FEJ9oV1X3_lC64UGpxcEA

FireInTheWhole
(Post Master Supreme)
09/29/12 11:20 AM

Originally Posted By: FireInTheWhole
Lower.

want to explain the effectiveness of ass to ankles? You hit a deadzone right under parallel and a whole different set of muscles comes in to play to get you right back into the group you used to do anything above *shrugs*

Rob has mobility problems in his left ankle he's working on, I noticed he is not hitting parallel on some of those heavier reps.

I was mostly kidding around - you know every time there is a squat vid someone has to say to go lower.

I do like to go a little lower though. I define parallel as the top of my leg being parallel while the ass and hammies are much lower.

(Post Master Supreme)
09/29/12 02:31 PM

<3

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
09/29/12 04:52 PM

Yeah my workout partner is all about this shit now.

Also did some front squats this morning. This is why I don't like going below parallel. You can say what you want about people not rolling forward, I can find plenty of video's where your weight will transfer to your toes and back to your heels to get out of the defecit/hole on below parallel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2uhg3F25ss&feature=share&list=UU6FEJ9oV1X3_lC64UGpxcEA

That's why you are supposed to raise your ass first when coming out of the hole. It keeps everything driving through the hips and heels.

(Post Master Supreme)
09/30/12 04:43 AM

That's why you are supposed to raise your ass first when coming out of the hole. It keeps everything driving through the hips and heels.

Look bud, I know how to do them. Plain and simple I don't like to do them, no need to throw every excuse in the world at csi the weight would go up either way ass to ankles, pause at my knee's I feel safer mentally knowing I have room to ditch then to get stuck in a hole with 300+ on my back without a spotter again. Last time it wasn't so pleasant and I was able to explode just enough to behind the neck jerk-ditch it.

And I know you don't squat so I can personally tell you getting propelled to the floor against 300lbs when throwing it off of you really hurts ones tailbone.

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
09/30/12 09:34 AM

It's not like I haven't done heavy back squats before. I just can't do them now.

Again, I'm not trying to make you out to be an idiot for not doing them lower. I'm just trying to understand how it isn't a form/core strength issue for people to want to roll forward just because they go past parallel.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
09/30/12 10:29 AM

Quote:
I'm just trying to understand how it isn't a form/core strength issue for people to want to roll forward just because they go past parallel.
it is.

FireInTheWhole
(Post Master Supreme)
09/30/12 10:47 AM

I sometimes tend to roll onto my toes a bit when going heavy. In my case it isn't my core strength, it is that I feel like I don't have the power in my ass to get out of the hole and I get a little scared. LOL. I'm a pussy now and super cautious because of my disc issues. When this starts happening I know to take some weight off the bar.

(Post Master Supreme)
09/30/12 03:15 PM

I'll post a perfect example in a few. And if anyone can poke at the guys form I give up.

http://youtu.be/SR6ty8Z-GiA

Don't make any excuses about the weight the kid is using because his form is godamned perfect, you can see his heels raise slightly at the bottom of each rep and he has to rock himself back onto the heels. The olift shoes provide somewhat of a solid heel and that's most likely how he keeps his balance. Without those shoes I'd doubt he'd be doing his heavy's that proficiently.

Squatting requires core strength and leg strength but also coordination and balance and I'm sure you would agree because you have to coordinate the contraction of every muscle involved to do them properly.

no mater what depth it is you're hitting.

18 seconds into this video once he's coming back up most of his mass is forward he is on his toes.

http://youtu.be/yV6sKV8nMq0

and in this one when his left quad is all over the place he's all over the place with his foot as well.

http://youtu.be/QsvPp6cGn4U

Mind you I'm just using him as an example, if you guy can post a video of you doing squats to full depth with your maxes or 80 percent of such without rolling around other areas of your feet I'd love to see them but I'm sure like most you're going to roll forward onto your toes.

It's just something that is unavoidable unless weightlifting is first nature for you like our buddy Art =P

**DONOTDELETE**
()
09/30/12 03:43 PM

Quote:
It's just something that is unavoidable unless weightlifting is first nature for you like our buddy Art
You talk a ton of shit for somebody with bitch tits.

(Post Master Supreme)
09/30/12 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Artvandelay
 Quote:
It's just something that is unavoidable unless weightlifting is first nature for you like our buddy Art

How much do you bench bro?

**DONOTDELETE**
()
09/30/12 03:54 PM

Quote:

edit - more than you ever will, bitch tits.

(Post Master Supreme)
09/30/12 04:17 PM

Quote:

So you post constantly with videos of your super dude-bro crossfit crew, you've talked constantly about fitness for like, idk, 10 years now? And you're still fucking fat. Still fat, bitch tits, high BF, weak lifts.

Yeah you have the audacity to talk shit to me? GTFO.

I wasn't talking shit, it was a joke. And you never answered my question bro! <--- not serious question also was a joke. Don't seriously answer it!

And lets get something straight right now before you continue on the path of omg I'm 6'13" too cool to be 7 foot tall strong as an ox, a genetic freak, and I think humans are stupid ants.

I said I wanted to get skinny plenty of times, plenty of times that happened and I didn't immediately report here to show me in a size 32 jeans. I wear size 32 jeans now and my quads don't fit in them, my legs are 26inches. you can call it fat or you can call it mass I could care less. I am not insecure about how I look without a shirt on. I carry a little fat or a lot of fat depending on who you ask. You say I got the bitch tits, hey it's genetic I'm benching up a storm and the only way I see them going away is 6% body fat. There is just not an exercise to burn fat on your Seratus anterior there is just NO FUCKING WAY!!! So until I man up and hit under 10% bf I'm stuck with em dude.

Do they suck and shit, sure whatever.

taken last night, doesn't help I have big ass nipples too so I have them nice supple banana manties. So having you with a completely different set of genetics or everyone else who is 140-150lbs trying to gain mass besides OB1 who's skinny now also trying to put mass in that area talking about titty fat doesn't know what I deal with. I've been down as far as 160lbs when I got married in 2004 and still had the fucking titties dude so you can bring em up all you want. It's my genetics I was destined to be a man bitch in the eyes of csi and I can't do anything about it but try to play with my diet and put on size and ditch body fat.

Another shot to give you a profile and this was after crushing a 14 inch corn dog, a cupcake and a half, some thai tea, and a macaroni and cheese sandwich. I'm sitting at 196lbs doing leangains. You want a profile of my macros or to follow my diary go check it out.

I again am thwarted by genetics and I am working my ass off daily, lifting, doing pilates, doing supplemental training, walking 5 miles a day, not eating for 16 hours, drinking protein shakes with my dinners to get them macros in. Because I don't want to lose strength.

I don't get to start out skinny like you guys and get all cut and ripped and eat pizzas and shit and not have it hurt me. So every time you come with the hoo hah that I've come and shared advice, I'm coming from the perspective of a fat dude trying to cut down and keep the muscle and that's a bit harder than you guys who cry about having to eat 4lbs of chicken just to have your chest stick out further than your ribs in your diesel shirts.

Lets keep my thread on topic now that I've addressed the age old you can't share an opinion because you're not genetically on my level shit because my lifts do the talking, and only a few other people here crossfit, globo, home gym whatever are pushing over 200+lbs over head, squatting 50% over their body weight, deadlifting double their body weight and change, cleaning over 200lbs and benching over 200 without any injuries with the ability to run an 8minute or less mile, and a 10k in an hour do pull ups with their own body weight and then some etc. etc.

I can do all of that shit but I can't model for ambercrombie, boo fucking hoo hoo.

I still appreciate all of the input you guys give and what you all share because everyone wants to share shit when they're a bad ass but nobody wants to share shit when they're a fat ass. Or a weak ass.

And I hope someday I can push 3 plates but I'd rather have a sweet big ass chest like yours and have my bench stuck at 220 than be able to push 3 bills and have the tits so it's a constant science and yes the fair was a couples thing, cupcakes and sweets and all that bullshit are not a part of the diet anymore.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
09/30/12 04:33 PM

Quote:
don't get to start out skinny like you guys and get all cut and ripped and eat pizzas and shit and not have it hurt me. So every time you come with the hoo hah that I've come and shared advice, I'm coming from the perspective of a fat dude trying to cut down and keep the muscle and that's a bit harder than you guys who cry about having to eat 4lbs of chicken just to have your chest stick out further than your ribs in your diesel shirts.
I'm 230 pounds, I wear and XL or XXL shirt, not some naturally skinny high metabolism dude.

As for genetic advantages, we've seen your pictures before you got fat. You weren't always fat. You're not "genetically fat" (nobody is).

Personally, I think you're doing good but, your attitude annoys the fucking shit out of me. You don't know everything, your friends don't know everything, plenty of people right here have been doing this shit for years and years. You're one of the more "outspoken" about it yet, you're the one with the least results, so, maybe you still have something to learn, or maybe you should stop eating cupcakes. IDK, I was totally friendly and encouraging in this thread until you tossed my name into it.

(Post Master Supreme)
09/30/12 04:35 PM

wanna hug it out, but not fully torqued?

140lbs still got that titty meat dude

**DONOTDELETE**
()
09/30/12 04:44 PM

That's just your shape, add lean mass from that picture and you'd be as "magazine ripped" as anybody else. I don't have some perfect shape either, I just work with what I have.

(Post Master Supreme)
09/30/12 04:48 PM

well like I said anyone else is more than free to add video of themselves doing backsquats in here. I know val started a thread on this a while back, doesn't need to be anything bad ass but it's always nice to discuss things without an insult fight time to time!

**DONOTDELETE**
()
09/30/12 05:25 PM

I don't have anything aside from a few dumbells and a pull-up bar at my new apartment and I work out at the gym at my job, which I won't be posting videos of.

I can probably work something out though

FireInTheWhole
(Post Master Supreme)
09/30/12 07:44 PM

I don't go nearly as low as that kid in the squat vids. He is going to have some problems when he gets older, me thinks. He bounces out of the bottom like a madman. Impressive strength, but scary. I go until my thigh is parallel.

Wayne just keep doing what you're doing. I know how you feel with the weight because I have to diet pretty extremely to lose fat. You've made a ton of progress, just keep it up.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/30/12 08:39 PM

Fat storage in the titties is certainly genetic... No one can deny that... Everyones body is a little different in how / where we store fat...

Could be something that requires surgery to get rid of too... Gyno isn't just a steroid thing...

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
09/30/12 10:32 PM

You guys take shit too seriously. We're all working pretty fucking hard in the gym and honestly, most of us look pretty decent, if not very good - but none of us are going to be on the cover of a fitness magazine.

It's just good to see people putting in the time.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
10/01/12 05:26 AM

I could be. Easily.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
10/01/12 05:17 PM

I could be. Easily.

ell-o-ell

(Post Master Supreme)
10/08/12 06:20 PM

hit a 140kg triple today. fuck yes. vids later

http://youtu.be/ievU6HFuCNc

(Post Master Supreme)
01/03/13 12:15 AM

130kg/286 for 5 reps Haven't been squating as much as I was when I was doing conjugate 2 months ago. Been working more on HIIT training

http://youtu.be/g49asH0isiw

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/03/13 11:08 PM

Looks good man... Better depth than me... I'm still working on mobility... I did 4 sets of 5 @320 today then 4 sets of 3@330 and 2 sets of 2@340...

Vid of 320 is in my YT channel...

(Post Master Supreme)
01/03/13 11:49 PM

Watching your video there are a few things you can do, since you're trying to build strength I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about your depth since you're going for more for a cosmetic look.

You should widen your stance a bit more and lower the weight. You're tall as shit so it looks like your feet are about shoulder width but you have long ass legs. Probably don't feel balanced when going down. If your torso is coming that far forward with your knee's so close I don't see how you're not on your toes at that point trying to roll yourself back. If you have ankle flexibility issues then check this out and do some mobility work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwLM5n-rYmA

That also looks like it's indicated when you start rocking your elbows everywhere. That's one thing you should practice is locking those fuckers into place, mine barely move.

Your bar starts off on your traps and the heads of your rear delts but it looks like it's transitioning from high bar to low bar mid lift and back to the top of your traps.

I was going to look for another video as an example for hand positioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNPNvayz0CU

Katie is locked in really good you see her back is erect, strong proud chest and the bar doesn't move at all. To get that stability upstairs you need to lock that bar in first otherwise it's just going to get worse as it gets heavier dude. Trust me!

Still I think it's impressive how far you've come in your return back to the gym, just work lighter to dial in your form and scale up to heavier weight to try out you new tricks.

I always am getting feedback in between my sets at my gym at what I may have done wrong. And those slight adjustments make things so much easier!

mrnismo
(Post Master)
01/04/13 07:44 AM

130kg/286 for 5 reps Haven't been squating as much as I was when I was doing conjugate 2 months ago. Been working more on HIIT training

http://youtu.be/g49asH0isiw

Nice f'ing work man, very good set and good effort.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/04/13 02:59 PM

That shit is too damn technical bro... Lol if the weight goes up and down and I can progressively increase the weight my legs will grow... I am continuing to work in Mobutu but that's a long road...

Apparently my ankle flexibity sucks cause I cannot get into the pistol position from a full squat position with feet close together...

My height does give me some disadvantage and I do have forward lean but Layne norton has a shit ton of forward lean as well and fucker is hooooge...

I'm all about putting on as much size as I can in the next 12 weeks before I start my prep... But I will continue to work on my mobility...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/04/13 02:59 PM

Mobutu...? Fuck it's MOBILITY...!!

(Post Master Supreme)
01/04/13 05:38 PM

Haha i was about to googlr that shit lol

WNDYCTYone
(Post Master Supreme)
01/05/13 06:11 PM