Cheesegoggles
(Post Master Supreme)
09/01/12 01:43 PM
Marathon training

I guess I will try to keep track of my progress here. Training for the Walt Disney World marathon (same one Monkeydias is entered in) in January. I am doing the Hal Higdon novice program and that will "officially" start on September 11 (I've been running as time and the 100 degree temps have allowed). It has me running a half on November 4 which, coincidentally, is the same day as a half put on by the local track club so I will enter that as well. I've run three half marathons over the last few years so this should be doable.

Wife is running with me and this will be her third full. I would really like to get under 4:00, but I think that could be optimistic. We will see though. If I do that November half in less than 2:00 - and I think that I can - I might feel better about my odds.

Ran an easy 7 miles today at 9:14 pace. Leaving the jogging stroller at home shaved about 25-30 seconds/mile off my pace

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
09/01/12 04:16 PM
Re: Marathon training

I did my 7 today at a 9:37 pace. It was pretty warm for 7:00 in the morning. What does your schedule look like? I'm running four days a week, monday, wednesday, thursday at Saturday. Right now I'm doing 3,4,4,7. I'll be doing the 3,4,4 for a few more weeks but slowly increasing my saturday run each week. I'm actually planning on doing a full 26 miles roughly 3-4 weeks before the Disney race.

slackereg6
(Member)
09/01/12 07:20 PM

Good luck. I had exactly the same goals for my first half and full marathon earlier this year but only meet one.

Duc
(Post Master Supreme)
09/02/12 09:16 AM

good luck bro. might start HM training again in about two weeks

Ampsman in Extremis
(Post Master Supreme)
09/02/12 11:16 PM

I wouldnt recommend doing a full 26 for training, especially that close to the race.
My recommendation would be do an extra 20 somewhere, not sure how many your plan has you doing but I would aim for 3.

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
09/03/12 12:23 AM

My thought? Running for an hour is enough.

I'd like to be more badass, but I'm not.

Cheesegoggles
(Post Master Supreme)
09/03/12 08:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Monkeydias
I did my 7 today at a 9:37 pace. It was pretty warm for 7:00 in the morning. What does your schedule look like? I'm running four days a week, monday, wednesday, thursday at Saturday. Right now I'm doing 3,4,4,7. I'll be doing the 3,4,4 for a few more weeks but slowly increasing my saturday run each week. I'm actually planning on doing a full 26 miles roughly 3-4 weeks before the Disney race.

I am doing the Hal Higdon novice training plan. Basically a long run every Saturday, a medium length run on Wednesday, and short runs on Tuesday and Thursday.

And I agree with the person who said not to do 26 ahead of time. My wife did a more advanced plan for her second and it had two 20 mile runs but nothing longer.

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
09/03/12 11:23 AM

CN of the program?

I doubt I'll be running a marathon anytime soon, but I typically only run 8-11k and I'd like to maybe stretch that further on occasion.

Cheesegoggles
(Post Master Supreme)
09/03/12 11:42 AM

Here is the program: http://halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

At halhigdon.com there is training for a variety of distances and different programs work in varying amounts of speed work if you want something more than just go out and run x miles. Worth checking out.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
09/03/12 07:02 PM

Yeah....recovery from anything longer than 18 or 20 is going to really eat into your training time and give you a better chance of getting injured.

Serendipitous
(Post Master Supreme)
09/04/12 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Impetuous
My thought? Running for an hour is enough.

I'd like to be more badass, but I'm not.

I'm cool with running for half an hour or so.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
09/06/12 10:29 AM

Originally Posted By: CrayCrayCrayCrayCray

I am doing the Hal Higdon novice training plan. Basically a long run every Saturday, a medium length run on Wednesday, and short runs on Tuesday and Thursday.

And I agree with the person who said not to do 26 ahead of time. My wife did a more advanced plan for her second and it had two 20 mile runs but nothing longer.

I was wondering if I should do one or not. I figured I should just do it to see if I can. I think i'll adjust my plan to not do it.

Cheesegoggles
(Post Master Supreme)
10/01/12 08:37 AM

3 weeks in for a total of about 40 miles. Since I've run a few half marathons this isn't especially challenging mileage for me. Biggest issue is running three days in a row on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Even though they are short runs, my knees are always a little sore the day after a run. I usually avoided back to back days and had never run back to back to back until a few weeks ago. So far not bad. Overall pace has been about 9:15 which includes some runs with a jogging stroller and some intervals where the overall pace is higher than what we normally run. We would really like to finish in less than four hours which requires 9:10 or better. We have a half in a month to gauge how we are doing.

Next long run on Saturday is 9 miles. That will be the longest I have run since a half marathon summer of last year. Should not be a problem, though.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
10/01/12 06:13 PM

Go get it buddy.

This may sound crazy, but one thing that I have done several times in the past and am doing again this month, is to do a month long stretch of running every day. Follow your plan, but even on your recovery days, still go out for at least a 3 mile run.

It's fantastic for getting your body used to the beating it will take during the race, not to mention you'll get faster. I found that after the first 5-7 days of soreness, it didn't bother me again.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
10/02/12 02:12 PM

Go cray cray! I did a 15k last weekend at a 8:57 pace which I was really happy with. Last two weekends prior to that I was doing 9 miles at a 9:30-9:40 pace. Although the weekend after the 15k I tried to go out on a saturday morning after drinking a bit to much friday night. That was brutal!

Back 5
(Post Master Supreme)
10/02/12 04:44 PM

My gf just ran the tower of terror 10-mile run. She said it was horrible. 10k+ participants with most of them being walkers. There were choke points along the course where you could not pass the walkers and you'd literally have to walk yourself until you could pass.

I hope the Disney marathon races aren't the same.

Cheesegoggles
(Post Master Supreme)
10/02/12 04:47 PM

Thanks all.
 Originally Posted By: Back 5
My gf just ran the tower of terror 10-mile run. She said it was horrible. 10k+ participants with most of them being walkers. There were choke points along the course where you could not pass the walkers and you'd literally have to walk yourself until you could pass.

I hope the Disney marathon races aren't the same.

I am a bit worried about this. They do stage you for the marathon and, if I understand correctly, require you to submit a prior 10k or longer time to support not being in the very last corral. We will see how all of this shakes out.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
10/02/12 05:56 PM

Corralled races usually go pretty smoothly, but you still get a few tards in there who clearly overestimated their abilities. The wife and I passed a large number of people who were in our corral at the San Diego RnR marathon. They at least did a good job of separating the half runners from the full.

Back 5
(Post Master Supreme)
10/02/12 06:45 PM

The 10-mile race was corralled start. Gun went off every 5 minutes. There were still people who were walking the entire event and were in corral A.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
10/04/12 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Back 5
The 10-mile race was corralled start. Gun went off every 5 minutes. There were still people who were walking the entire event and were in corral A.

I have a feeling that is how it will be. There are going to be a shit ton of people there.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
10/07/12 10:33 AM

I went out this morning and met up with a friend who runs with a tri training club. We did the longest run I've ever done. 18 miles! I'm pretty damn beat. We ran it pretty slow, 10-11 minute miles but it felt good to know that I can go that far.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
10/07/12 01:23 PM

Nice job!

I had the cub scouts out on the Long Beach marathon course this morning handing out Otter Pops. People loved it! The wife ran the half in 1:45 on very little training, damn her!

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
10/07/12 04:17 PM

That's a great time your wife put up.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
10/08/12 08:15 PM

That's a great time your wife put up.

Yeah...she was 22nd out of almost 1100 in her AG. That was being 3 minutes off her PR for that distance. Makes me sick how much natural talent she has.

micah
(Post Master Supreme)
10/09/12 02:50 PM

Here's some motivation or demotivation for y'all. This guy ran a 2:35 in a suit like it was no big deal. Funny video, dude seems like a typical super freakin' nice canadian guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jhTIhV33P-s

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
10/09/12 03:45 PM

Fuuuuu...

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
10/12/12 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Ironmom
Fuuuuu...

Shicken
(Post Master Supreme)
10/13/12 11:20 PM

Me and my g/f were hoping to enter this next year, but I just don't seem to have the heart for running like I did 10 years ago. I can do any type of cardio for over an hour. When I run, I'm ready to be done by the time I hit a mile. I just get bored, and tired. Granted I've mostly been running indoors since weather never co-operates when I can go out for a jog.

Best of luck with the marathon. Hopefully I get the motivation. Running a marathon has always been a life goal.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/12 09:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Shicken
Me and my g/f were hoping to enter this next year, but I just don't seem to have the heart for running like I did 10 years ago. I can do any type of cardio for over an hour. When I run, I'm ready to be done by the time I hit a mile. I just get bored, and tired. Granted I've mostly been running indoors since weather never co-operates when I can go out for a jog.

Best of luck with the marathon. Hopefully I get the motivation. Running a marathon has always been a life goal.

I've noticed that when running on a treadmill it's much harder to go further than it is to run outside. It's very boring on a treadmill.

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/12 09:49 AM

I find outdoor running harder in the physical sense, but treadmill running is much more mentally intensive. Time stands still and in most of the places (i.e. hotels) where I use them, they are in hot, poorly ventilated rooms.

Cheesegoggles
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/12 10:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Shicken

I've noticed that when running on a treadmill it's much harder to go further than it is to run outside. It's very boring on a treadmill.

My limit on the treadmill is about 4 miles. Between it just being boring and the insufficient air movement, I hate it.

5 and a half weeks in with a total of 85 miles run. Also dropped about six pounds in that time. Would like to drop a few more before running a half on November 4.

12 mile run this weekend. Would like to average about 9:00/mile. Temp should be about 50 degrees when we go out Saturday morning, which should be plenty comfortable.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/12 01:26 PM

Nice job man...sound like you're following that plan to a t.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
10/19/12 12:16 PM

I'm going to do a half this tomorrow probably. I've pretty much forgotten about the plan since I did the 18 a few weeks ago. I'm just doing my own thing now. I have noticed i've been getting a pain in my right leg though. Starts at about my hip down to my knee on the front side of my leg.

Cheesegoggles
(Post Master Supreme)
10/21/12 08:07 AM

12 miles yesterday in 1:48. Wife and I were a little sick yesterday, too. I also skipped my three miler on Thursday which may have helped - my knees needed the break.

Next weekend's long run is only 7 miles (and will be run in Cancun ). Then we run a half in two weeks.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
10/23/12 09:31 AM

Looks like I'm right there with you cray. I did 11.75 in 1:45 on Sunday. Also, I think I figured out my problem with my leg/knee. I was reading that if you have weak hips it can cause your form to break down as you run and lead to those injuries. I've started doing exercises to help with it and so far it seems to be working.

Cheesegoggles
(Post Master Supreme)
10/23/12 10:46 AM

Looks like I'm right there with you cray. I did 11.75 in 1:45 on Sunday. Also, I think I figured out my problem with my leg/knee. I was reading that if you have weak hips it can cause your form to break down as you run and lead to those injuries. I've started doing exercises to help with it and so far it seems to be working.

Yeah, I really need to get in some core work and lifting a couple of times each week. I think that would help to some degree.

Cheesegoggles
(Post Master Supreme)
11/04/12 05:14 PM

Wife and I ran a half today. Our goal was to finish in less than two hours. Course was basically five miles out, three mile loop in a park, and then back the same five mile stretch we started with.

Started strong and felt good early on. At the halfway point I told my wife we were on pace to "destroy" our two hour goal. It wasn't quite 57 minutes yet so we were on pace for under 1:54.

Should have kept my mouth shut.

The first half was a net elevation loss. We had to make it up going back. And most of the climbing was in the last three miles.

Still made our goal though. Finished in about 1:57. Wife probably got have dropped me and beat my by a few minutes. Happy with my result but should have paced myself a little better early on.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
11/04/12 05:27 PM

Nice job man...pacing usually takes lots of racing to nail down.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
11/05/12 02:42 PM

Great run. Sounds like you are trying for under 4 hr full. I did 11 yesterday at a 9:25 pace. I'm going to have to pick it up if I want to try and hang with you at the race.

Cheesegoggles
(Post Master Supreme)
11/05/12 04:15 PM

We would really love to go sub 4 hours, but I've never run longer than a half in my life. I'll be really happy if we finish under 4 hours, but I think under 4:15 might be a more reasonable expectation and I would still be satisfied with that.

shamrok
(Post Master Sr)
11/05/12 08:24 PM

practice the turbo crap move at mile 18 - or anus strength training so you don't become a famous reddit star at the finish line.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
11/08/12 11:09 AM

Anybody done the RnR Arizona course? Thinking about making a BQ attempt there on Jan 20th. Supposed to be really flat and cool temps.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
11/18/12 10:22 AM

Cheesegoggles
(Post Master Supreme)
11/18/12 01:21 PM

Nice. W ran 15 yesterday at 9:25/mile. Felt good cardio-wise at that pace. My joints are feeling it, though.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
11/18/12 03:06 PM

Yeah my knees were aching pretty fierce when I was done. Took two Tylenol and a couple hours later the pain is pretty much gone. The one thing that I noticed since I've been running so much is that I'm not nearly as tired after the long runs as I used to be.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
11/22/12 07:32 PM

Did five miles this morning at a 7:30 pace. That's a personal best.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
11/25/12 09:50 AM

Only 9.2 more miles to go.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
11/25/12 11:14 PM

Nice job man.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
11/27/12 04:40 PM

Welp.....I went full retard and signed up for the Surf City Marathon in Huntington Beach on Feb 3. Gonna shoot for a 3:05 Boston qualifier. :scared:

gamby
(Post Master Supreme)
11/27/12 05:14 PM

Jesus--those are some serious runs.

Dumb aside question--how do you post MapMyRun (I use mapmyride) workouts to CSi?

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
11/27/12 07:22 PM

It looks like he's just taking a screenshot and uploading it.

Cheesegoggles
(Post Master Supreme)
11/28/12 08:21 AM

Only 9.2 more miles to go.

Good job. Far better than my 16 miler went over the weekend. I totally bonked with about two miles to go. I shuffled through those last two, but it was miserable. I need to add some calories for the next one.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
11/28/12 03:32 PM

Are you running in the morning? Do you eat breakfast before you go?

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
11/28/12 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: g@mby

Dumb aside question--how do you post MapMyRun (I use mapmyride) workouts to CSi?

Just take a screenshot of my phone.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
11/28/12 03:34 PM

Welp.....I went full retard and signed up for the Surf City Marathon in Huntington Beach on Feb 3. Gonna shoot for a 3:05 Boston qualifier. :scared:

That is an insane time. What is your best pace so far? Good luck!

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
11/28/12 03:42 PM

My PR's this year are:

1:30 half marathon
3:31 marathon (ran this fairly easy with my wife for her BQ
19:58 5k
40:20 10k

Those were all earlier in the year and I was doing quite a bit less running at the time.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
11/28/12 07:12 PM

What is BQ? I see people mention that a lot. Based on your previous runs it looks like you'd be able to meet your goal.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
11/28/12 09:43 PM

BQ means Boston Qualifier.

gamby
(Post Master Supreme)
11/29/12 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: g@mby

Just take a screenshot of my phone.

Ah. I still only do that by accident on my Samsung Fascinate. It'll ocasionally take a screenshot when I close out. No idea how to do it intentionally

**DONOTDELETE**
()
11/29/12 12:39 AM

My PR's this year are:

1:30 half marathon
3:31 marathon (ran this fairly easy with my wife for her BQ
19:58 5k
40:20 10k

Those were all earlier in the year and I was doing quite a bit less running at the time.

Your 10 seems fast for you 5k. Not used to the short race?
You've hit all my lifetime goals, congrats. I need to step up my game and do the same.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
11/29/12 09:16 AM

The 5k was on a course with some big hills, and was also part of a reverse sprint tri, so I may have held back a little. The 10k was on a very flat course.

Oh, and you're probably right considering I've never done any kind of speed work or even ran as little as 3 miles training in like 2 years.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
12/14/12 06:43 PM

So how are you coming with your training cheesey?

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
12/16/12 08:38 PM

Great run yesterday.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
12/17/12 04:53 PM

Nice!

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
01/07/13 07:32 AM

So the marathon is this Sunday. I haven't heard from Cheesey in a while, so I'm not sure where he is at in his training. The furthest run I completed was the 18 miler a few posts up. After that I got sick for a while. I was able to continue running but not get up to the 20 mile mark that I wanted to before the race. In any case, I'm still shooting for a 4 hour or less time. I have a very good feeling about being able to complete it in that time.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
01/07/13 07:52 PM

Go get it man! You'll do fine, don't sweat it.

I'm a little pissed/depressed right now. Finished off a 64 mile week, then the next day I go on an easy 6 miler and start getting some weird pain in my right knee. Bad enough that I couldn't run (I can usually run through anything.) Taking a few days off with lots of ice, motrin and rest, but of course I'm imagining the worst case scenario.

Hopefully Ill take the first part of this week off and be able to do my last 10/20 mile weekend this saturday/sunday.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
01/08/13 08:54 AM

That sucks. Hopefully it's nothing major and passes quickly.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
01/14/13 11:43 AM

Well I didn't meet my goal, but I finished running across the line with a smile on my face. Not sure if cheesey ran or not. I haven't heard or seen anything from him in a while.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
01/14/13 11:45 AM

Total finishers for the race was 20,647 and there were 998 in my division.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
01/14/13 12:28 PM

Congrats man!

Ionfyst
(Post Master Sr)
01/14/13 02:15 PM

My buddy just did that this weekend as well. His wife was signed up for the half on Saturday and made him do that too. I haven't talked to him but I bet he's hurting bad today.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
01/14/13 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Ionfyst
My buddy just did that this weekend as well. His wife was signed up for the half on Saturday and made him do that too. I haven't talked to him but I bet he's hurting bad today.

They said that 10,000 people did the Goofy, the half marathon and the full. I'm thinking of doing it next year.

Cheesegoggles
(Post Master Supreme)
01/22/13 09:54 AM

So I did run the marathon (most of it anyway) but was not super happy with my time. Good job to Monkeydias on finishing with his time!

I started running into problems about five or six weeks out. During the 18 mile run, I started to have pain in both my right ankle and my right hamstring at about 10-11 miles. Enough that I didn't really have much ability to push off and both my form and pace deteriorated as time went on. So I called it quits after trying to push through for a couple more miles. I took about a week and a half off, ran a couple of short runs, but the same thing happened again about 10 miles into the 20 mile run and I shut it down. Going into the marathon I took two and a half weeks off and then did two short runs on the treadmill on Wednesday and Thursday before the Sunday marathon.

While I was a little worried about how I would fare, things went reasonably well for a while. Through 16 miles we were on pace for about 4:20 with the 4:30 pace group several minutes behind us. During the 17th mile, I noticed my right insole had moved to the outside and the inside edge was under the middle of my big toe - it was not comfortable and it recurred a few times before the end.

I ran 21 plus miles before I had to shut it down. The right hamstring and ankle hurt again (I had taken some Alleve before the run). And I had nutrition issues. Left instep area started to hurt too. Oh yeah, it was also fucking hot. There were a couple of short but steep inclines around miles 22 and 23 where I just didn't have it. The 4:30 group had passed us but was still in site when I told my wife she should go chase them down. I walked most of the last five miles and ran through the finish as I gave Donald Duck a high five.

My wife ran down the 4:30 pace group and finished ahead of them. The course was great - mostly flat and never totally boring for any long stretch.

I'm glad I did it, but not sure I want to do it again. Training turned something fun to do into work. I could be happy just to stick to half marathons and shorter from here on out.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
01/22/13 11:50 AM

Way to stick it out on a tough day!

micah
(Post Master Supreme)
01/23/13 12:11 PM

Nice work! I walked a lot in my first marathon too. Agree about the training, although honestly I got the itch to do the next one after several more months. Trained up from normal running shape to marathon in about 8 weeks (long run of 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, and 20, with a couple of lost weeks to sickness/worn out).

Really drives it home, if you didn't believe it before: the marathon starts at mile 20.

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
01/23/13 01:09 PM

And again at 21, 22, 23, etc.

I'm hoping my three 20 milers in the last 6 weeks will help with that though.

MonkeyStillAlive
(Post Master Sr)
01/24/13 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: micah
Nice work! I walked a lot in my first marathon too. Agree about the training, although honestly I got the itch to do the next one after several more months. Trained up from normal running shape to marathon in about 8 weeks (long run of 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, and 20, with a couple of lost weeks to sickness/worn out).

Really drives it home, if you didn't believe it before: the marathon starts at mile 20.

It really hit me at 18. I had to do a lot of walking after that.