DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/06/12 02:50 PM
My 2013 contest prep log...

I'm just putting this up here for my own purposes and to give me thoughts on the pogram as I progress through it...

I have decided to use the Periodization Bible scheme as seen in the book... I'm a guy that responds to more accessory work and I like a variety... I think this will work for me...

My training maxes to start will be as follows

Military - 145
Deadlift - 250
Bench Press - 220
Squat - 230

I'll be training On M/W/F/Sat...

I'll post up before stats with some pics and then update after each 4 week cycle...

**DONOTDELETE**
()
03/06/12 02:56 PM
Re: My 5/3/1 log...

Tell me more about this program? Links?
Advanced?

Are those your current maxes? or your starting?

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/06/12 03:32 PM

Your "training max" is 90% of your actual max... For example my military 1rm was about 160 so 90% of that is 145.

If you google Wendler 5/3/1 you'll get the nuts and bolts... I think it's a better program on paper than the 5x5 FOR ME... I get bored easily and squatting 3x a week is not in my wheel house anymore...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/07/12 01:06 PM

My bench max today was 245 with spot on form...

i think i could have gone up another 10 but my left shoulder still isn't "right"...

65_289
(Post Master Sr)
03/07/12 01:29 PM

So why are your big 3 maxes so close? Mine are quite spread out, with deadlift being well above squat, which is well above bench.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/07/12 01:45 PM

they are cause that's where i tested... there's no ryhme or reason why, and it's been so long since i've really trained, so i'm sure my leg strength will increase more dramatically then the 2 upper body lifts...

of course i use the best form I can to reduce risk of injury which may limit some amounts I'm lifting... quality over quantity has always been my motto...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/19/12 05:59 PM

So i'm up in the air on starting this thing, cause i'm not finished with my cutting yet...

i don't want to jeopardize this program by starting it on a hypocaloric diet... i'd much rather be doing this on a maintainence or a slight surplus...

anyone have any input on this...?

65_289
(Post Master Sr)
03/19/12 06:09 PM

I've never tried it on a cut, only at maint or a lean (350-500 cals) bulk.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/19/12 08:32 PM

well maybe i'll hold off another 4 weeks and see if i can get down to 200 and start from there...

i would be still trying to lose some fat during this, but just not at such a deficiet that I have been running on... maybe a 2500 cal deficiet for the week vs. the 10000 - 12000 a week i have been on...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/19/12 08:52 PM

on the 5/3/1...?

i'll post up my plan for it when i get to my workout sheets... i have them at home...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
03/20/12 03:46 AM

The first few weeks, it shouldn't matter if you're in a deficit. You shouldn't be working close to your maxes at this time, anyway.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/20/12 08:16 AM

True and I did consider that aspect of it...

mrnismo
(Post Master)
03/20/12 08:37 AM

This calculator kicks ass: http://www.strstd.com/

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/20/12 05:10 PM

This spreadsheet shows my assistance exercises... i plan to switch these up every 4 week cycle...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/20/12 05:15 PM

I think i decided to train my current split 2 more days then take a mini 3 day break and start my 5/3/1 next Monday...

So this is my starting before pic... down a total of 42 pounds since I started this stuff... currently sitting at 210...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
03/21/12 07:40 AM

Why is your assistance work so low volume? The point of the assistance work is to get higher reps in.

65_289
(Post Master Sr)
03/21/12 09:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Silock
Why is your assistance work so low volume? The point of the assistance work is to get higher reps in.

+1. I use maybe 50% of my 1rm and do 5 sets of 10. Not saying everyone should do it that way, but I think that's kind of what Wendler had in mind. Low reps, high weight for the big lifts, lower weight, higher reps on assistance. I think on pull-ups and dips, he recommends >75 reps a week. I don't recall if that includes added weight or not though. I'll have to re-read that part.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/21/12 10:25 AM

there's no weights associated with my assistance work... you're looking at Week 2 5/3/1 weights there... i just put the assistance exercise names in the sheet so i know what I will be doing... wieghts will be not be recorded and will be decided upon throughout the workouts...

i will be doing sets of 10-20 for a total of 5 sets on the assistance exercises...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
03/21/12 01:29 PM

Ah, I misread it. I was looking at the Week 2 reps and didn't see the "Week 2" header.

20 is way too much. 15 should be absolute max for a rep range, but Wendler much prefers 10. 10 is good. 10 works very, very well.

HX_Guy
(Post Master Supreme)
03/21/12 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: DieZel

I think i decided to train my current split 2 more days then take a mini 3 day break and start my 5/3/1 next Monday...

So this is my starting before pic... down a total of 42 pounds since I started this stuff... currently sitting at 210...

Big difference man from the last pic I remember seeing of you. Nice job.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/21/12 05:26 PM

Ah, I misread it. I was looking at the Week 2 reps and didn't see the "Week 2" header.

20 is way too much. 15 should be absolute max for a rep range, but Wendler much prefers 10. 10 is good. 10 works very, very well.

i've typically been a 8-12 rep guy, and will likely remain very close to that range...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/21/12 05:27 PM

Val, you didn't even see my "fat" pic yet... lol... i'll be revealing that at the end of the Biggest loser challenge...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/26/12 01:22 PM

Started my program today...

Did Overhead press with the weights listed, last set with 125 I did 9 reps

Bent over BB rows - 125x10x5
Incline DB press - 55x10, 60x10, 65x10,10,9
DB shrugs - 80x10x5
Triceps pressdowns 5 sets various weights and attachements

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/26/12 05:42 PM

quick question for anyone that's run through this previously...

how do you determine your accesory weights...? I was just doing what i felt i could get...

did Wendler say that you should use a certain % for these lifts or what...?

65_289
(Post Master Sr)
03/26/12 07:10 PM

I started at 40% of my 1rm and adjusted accordingly. If it was easy or even moderately tough, I added 5lbs the next go.

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
03/26/12 07:38 PM

50% of 1rm. However, if that's too much, then back it off. He notes that you shouldn't major in the minors by pushing too much on accessory work. Too much can negatively impact your main lifts.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/26/12 07:55 PM

gotcha... kinda hard to gauge these weights though, as i don't know my 1RM on alot of these lifts... think the 1st 4 weeks will shed alot of light on it though...

65_289
(Post Master Sr)
03/26/12 08:07 PM

You can estimate it until you get a better idea.

His formula in the book is 1rm = weight*reps*(1/30)+weight. So if you did 200 for 8 reps, then your 1rm estimate is 200*8*(1/30)+200 = 253.3

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
03/26/12 09:08 PM

gotcha... kinda hard to gauge these weights though, as i don't know my 1RM on alot of these lifts... think the 1st 4 weeks will shed alot of light on it though...

Yah, it's definitely not a huge deal right now since you're just starting it.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/26/12 10:35 PM

Hey Drew, you know of a good place online to find a video for a full body foam rolling session...?

i got mine today, but not really sure where to start with it, and want to get into a routine each night before bed of doing this thing...

Thanks...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
03/26/12 10:55 PM

Not sure about videos. Maybe Eric Cressey has something in Magnificent Mobility. I thought Wendler put some stuff in the eBook about it.

mrnismo
(Post Master)
03/27/12 02:09 PM

Diesel if you don't find what you need let me know I can make a quick video. I feel like a preacher spreading the gospel of foam rolling as I love it so much. It seriously has improved my quality of life over the last year dramatically.

I roll front, side and back of legs (hamstrings and glutes done seperately. Hip flexors also done seperately but you could also roll them with quads in one motion from knee to hip.

For upper body I roll lower back (which many say not to but it feels good to me) and upper back starting as whole upper then moving to one side at a time by holding my arm crossed in front to put more pressure on just the one side. Then I turn on my side and roll from upper to lower armpit to hit the upper/lower lat tie ins and the lat itself.

I actually roll my calfs with a stick as I never got the foam roller to feel quite right. I also dont roll my chest but probably should.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/28/12 12:12 AM

Foam rolling hurts like a mofo... Does it get easier...? I assume you should drink plenty of water like after receiving a massage?

**DONOTDELETE**
()
03/28/12 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: mrnismo
Diesel if you don't find what you need let me know I can make a quick video. I feel like a preacher spreading the gospel of foam rolling as I love it so much. It seriously has improved my quality of life over the last year dramatically.

I roll front, side and back of legs (hamstrings and glutes done seperately. Hip flexors also done seperately but you could also roll them with quads in one motion from knee to hip.

For upper body I roll lower back (which many say not to but it feels good to me) and upper back starting as whole upper then moving to one side at a time by holding my arm crossed in front to put more pressure on just the one side. Then I turn on my side and roll from upper to lower armpit to hit the upper/lower lat tie ins and the lat itself.

I actually roll my calfs with a stick as I never got the foam roller to feel quite right. I also dont roll my chest but probably should.

I'd like so see it. I'd be intrigued, I've never tried it, but I'm intrigued.

mrnismo
(Post Master)
03/28/12 08:51 AM

Yeah, it does get easier and you need to try your best to relax which can be tough when it hurts so goddamn bad when you start. For instance one of my major pain points was the lat/armpit area so if I'm rolling my right side then I use my left arm to push down on the roller or floor to take weight off so I can try to relax.

Some areas though, like my quad/hip flexor tie-in always have and probably always will be painful to roll but it definitely goes from a hateful to a likeable pain \:\)

I'll make a quick vid tonight running through all the areas I roll.

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
03/28/12 10:06 AM

Yeah, it gets easier.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/28/12 11:28 AM

Definitely like to see the vid... Yeah the upper lat area was tough but my IT band was BRUTAL... Lol it hurt but it felt good too...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
03/28/12 12:50 PM

Once you start rolling the IT band daily, it will get so much easier. Mine used to hurt to almost the point of tears. Now, I hardly even notice the pressure.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/28/12 01:12 PM

Cool, i'll be keeping this routine going for the long term...

Today I did my Deadlifts 3x5 sets - last set of 5+ i did 10, prolly could have done more, but figured this is warmup weeks why overdo it...

Followed up by:

DB reverse lunges 25x10x3
Stiff legged deads 135x10x3
Arm curls - did 2 triple drop sets of various exercises
Hanging leg raises 10x5

mrnismo
(Post Master)
03/29/12 08:52 AM

Ok, I ran through my normal foam rolling routine as quick as I could. Didn't realize how hard it was going to be to talk while hitting some of my trigger points haha.

I did not cover lower back but if you do it, be careful, go slow and keep your abs flexed so you aren't putting pressure on your spine. Also did not cover calves as I use a stick for those. I've never found a way to roll the chest effectively other than using a lacrosse ball so I skipped that too.

Most vids I've seen say to spend 30-60 seconds on each targeted area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMjAsGP9zdU

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
04/04/12 05:10 PM

Week 2 of my 5/3/1 is going well...

Monday I did my OHP last set was 135x3+, i got 7 or 8, i'd have to look at my sheet...

Today was deadlift day, my last set was 225x3+, i got 10... i could have done a few more, but i figure if i make it to 10 on these + sets, that's enough as in the upcoming weeks, i highly doubt i'll be able to pump out 10's...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
04/09/12 01:12 PM

Start of week 3, overhead press my 1+ set today was for 140... i got 7 reps, which seems like alot more than what i should be getting but i'm sure the reps will start to fall over the next months...

accessory work was nice too, my shoulders and tris were blowed up, still feeling it in my tris several hours later...

next week is a deload, which i'm not looking forward to, because i'm liking this so far... but it'll be good to reset for the bump in weights the following week...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
04/11/12 10:48 AM

Deadlift day...

my 1+ set was 240... i did 10 reps...

then did 5 sets of 10 at 60%...

leg curls, standing calf raises, hanging leg raises, and finished off with some bicep and forearm work...

wasn't looking forward to this today, cause my knee has been weird since yesterday... was digging out some bushes yesterday morning, so i guess it was from that, but i felt good through the workout...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
04/13/12 01:19 PM

Did my bench workout last night so i could sleep in this morning...

I think my shoulder is going to be a pain in my ass going forward, cause it seems my bench press numbers are lagging behind my other lifts (sqaut, dead), but that may have been an understimation on my part, when determining my max for those 2 lifts...? i only got 5 for my 1+ set last night, and thought maybe could have done 1 more, but i was afraid i'd hurt my shoulder, cause i could "feel" it through the lifts...

did 70# db presses for 5x10 then, 5 sets of pullups for 8 each, rear delt flyes, couple chest flye sets, and 5 sets for tris...

was a good workout overall and when this semester is over, i may move my training to night time cause the gym is dead, and i like the fact that i can sleep in later if i want to...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
04/13/12 05:35 PM

Maybe try pulling your hands in a bit closer? Where does the bar hit your chest when you are benching? You shouldn't be able to feel it *too* much in the shoulder. I know that after my dislocations, I've really had to come in on my grip. My pinky rests on the rings of the bar. I know that shifts away from chest a little bit, but it's what I had to do in order to decrease the pain in my shoulder. I'm slowly trying to work my way back out, though.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
04/13/12 11:00 PM

I take a pretty narrow (by most standards) grip... The insides of my hand right where the knurling starts... The bar touches at the nipple or just below it when I bench... I allow my elbows to tuck and don't keep them flared...

It's just this nagging ache in my anterior part of my delt... I've removed dips cause this movement on the down ward motion I can really feel that...

Next week is my deload so maybe the week of "rest" might help... It's nor affecting my lifts at this point but may go to the dr to see what they say...

Squat day tomorrow though...!!!

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
04/14/12 11:34 PM

Squat day went pretty well...

Last week on my 3+ I only did 8, this week on my 1+ I got 10...

Then repped out 10x5 squats with about 60%...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
04/16/12 01:19 PM

week 4 into the 5/3/1 and this is the deload week...

feel wierd cause it's almost like an "off week" for the big lifts, and i dropped the weight on my accesroy work by quite a bit but was sweating like crazy today, cause i did alot of supersetting with the accessory stuff and kept rest periods short between the sets...

still losing weight, felt somewhat "weak" this morning during training but i was supersetting so that could be related...

cals are up to about 1900 and next week i'll make sure i'm getting 2000 each day and see if i can continue to lose 1lb / week on that...

then up another 100 per day for the following week until i find my maintainence level...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
04/16/12 02:46 PM

Don't do too much on the deload week. Be careful.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
04/16/12 03:03 PM

i didn't feel like anything i was doing was "hard"... didn't push anything to near failure...

I assume as the 4 week cycles progress you will almost look forward to the deload week just to recover... kinda use it as an active recovery week...?

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
04/16/12 03:57 PM

For the deload week, I just combined squat/bench and dead/military into two workouts instead of 4.

I pushed it harder than 5x60% numbers, but nothing to failure. I also did a lot less of the additional exercises (1-3 sets vs 4-5) and not to failure.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
04/22/12 07:00 PM

Start of cycle 2 tomorrow... Excited the deload week is over and starting a new week...!!!

Here's a progress shot so far... 204 as of this pic, but it's late in the day...

EDIT: I added a before photo from December... HEY FATSO...!

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
04/23/12 01:59 PM

Week 5 starts and was pretty damn good... my 5+ on OHP at 130lbs I got 10...

It was nice to have someone to push me and to also help me get a few extra reps on some of the accessory work we did... i know he got alot out of it... it's only 6 hours later and he said he's sore already...

i said give it a couple weeks and that'll go away...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
04/23/12 05:05 PM

Nice

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
04/26/12 07:43 AM

Wednesday was Deadlift day... Felt great and banged out 13 reps with 225 on my 5+ set... Probably could have squeezed a few more but I would have used my lower back vs firing my hips through the end of the move so I stopped...

Upper middle back feels nice today... Not "sore", just I know it got work...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
04/28/12 12:31 PM

Good week of training...

Today was squat day, last set 5+ was for 205 and I ended up doing 12... Then banged out 5 sets of 10-12 with 155... Weight seemed light but just easing my way back in and followed the prescribed 60% on the accessory sets...

Definitely had the heart rate up which was good as well...

Should be around 198-199 Monday morning... Gonna go over my calories today purposely and then tighten it up tomorrow and hit my macros...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/02/12 01:30 PM

Still hanging around 199.5 but don't want to drop cals... just going to add a little more cardio to create the deficit necessary...

Couple ass kicking workouts on Monday and today...

OH press for my set of 3+ this week i hit 7-8 @ 135...
Deadlift today for my set of 3+ i hit 14 @ 235 and could have squeezed out another couple, but could tell i was starting to use the back vs glutes again...

lunges finished off the ass and was sweating balls by the end of the workout...

Seacrest, OUT!
(Post Master Supreme)
05/02/12 02:44 PM

Start of cycle 2 tomorrow... Excited the deload week is over and starting a new week...!!!

Here's a progress shot so far... 204 as of this pic, but it's late in the day...

Damn dude. Now it makes sense. When I saw on mfp that you were down 53 I was confused because you always seemed pretty cut up.

Why the change in December? Bulking? Stopped lifting? Life change?

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/02/12 03:25 PM

I had quit lifting for the better part of 5 years... I had a few stints where I started working out for a month or 2 in that time but just never stuck to it...

I was about 200 like 3 years ago during my time of trying to get a law enforcement position but after that didn't come to fruition I just got straight up lazy...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/03/12 09:37 PM

Bench press tomorrow...

had a 4 hour sitting today on my tattoo, decided i wanted to add a background and damn my fucking shoulder / pec area hurts now... hope this doesn't affect my workout tomorrow... not even sure what the cause of this is... i guess could be the way my arm was sitting for an extended period of time...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
05/04/12 02:35 AM

Cowboy up!

HX_Guy
(Post Master Supreme)
05/04/12 02:42 AM

Holy fuck man! That is a huge transformation...I had no idea you were that big! Your head looked so small! \:D Seriously though, amazing progress.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/04/12 10:01 AM

Today's workout...? In a word...?

BANGING...

Felt string today and my lifts proved it... Squats tomorrow... Actually looking forward to it...!!!

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/04/12 10:03 AM

Yeah Val that's me at 252 so if you don't think I know what works well I can always refer to the pics... ;\)

And yeah I have a "smallish" head in general... Lol

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
05/04/12 01:24 PM

Well, to be fair, any kind of caloric restriction when you're that overweight will work well ;\)

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/05/12 03:09 PM

Sqauts today went very well...

my set of 3+ was for 220 and I did 10 reps with good form... last 1-2 did start to get really heavy to keep my upper body from moving forward... need some more core work but that'll come as my deads increase and got alot of core work with my 5 sets of 10 with 155...

did some lower back and ab stiff with some biceps curls... felt really good again...

i think after the next week (which will be my 5/3/1 week), during my delaod week, i may just use that formula to test my maxes and reset my numbers cause i feel i can be lifting more, but want to get my new numbers for when i start my bulk last week of May / beginning of June, as my cals will go up and i don't want to be held back by the low numbers i tested with 8-9 weeks ago...

according to my lifts this week, my theoretical maxes should be as follows...

New Theoretical 1RM ------------- Previous test 1RM
OHP - 170 ----------------------- 160
Dead - 345 ---------------------- 280
Bench - 260 --------------------- 240
Squat - 295 --------------------- 255

so it looks like the 2 lifts that have increased the most are the Dead and Squat which I would have expected from the start of this... so maybe i'll test those on my deload and reset those 2 lifts...

OHP seems like it's pretty inline, and the bench looks like it has increased but not nearly as much as the lower body lifts... lower body work will increase upper body lifts as well, so i think that's my plan for the week following the next...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/07/12 01:23 PM

another good workout this morning...

OHpress my set of 1+ was 145 which i got 6... that was a slight overall improvement according to Wendlers formula to calculate your 1RM...

then banged out some DB shoulder presses, lateral raises, incline db presses (3 sets just to stimulate), bent over rows / shrug superset then just a few sets for triceps... about 65-70 minutes, followed by 30 minutes on the treadmill for 325 calories...

again, hoping to make a small drop this week and then will drop my carbs down next week in hopes of sparking a bigger loss for the week...

i'm kinda hanging around 199-200 for the last 2 weeks, but have kept a caloric deficit over that time... only taking in an average of 235g of carbs per week over that time, so it's not like i've been high on carbs... according to MFP i had a 4700 calorie deficit over these 2 weeks as well, so i guess it's not like i expected to lose 3-4 pounds...

bodyfat number on the scale continues to fall slightly though...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
05/07/12 02:58 PM

That's all that matters!

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/07/12 03:32 PM

I really don't think it's possible for me to have added any size while losing fat while on a deficit but it sure seems like I have...

And I am an experienced trainer so it's not like it's noobie gains... I'm not bitching though...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
05/07/12 03:37 PM

You'd be surprised. I've gained muscle on a deficit many times before. Doing it right now, actually. 1/4" on my arms in 8 weeks! w00t!

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/07/12 04:46 PM

really...? i didn't think that was scientifically possible...?

anyhow, looking at my numbers again, i actually had an additional 7000 calorie deficit over the last 2 weeks, cause my MFP goal has me setup to lose 1lb per week, which i hadn't accounted for when i added up my weekly deficits...

either way my lifts have gone up, so it's all good in da hood...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
05/07/12 05:28 PM

It's absolutely possible. If you are giving the body enough protein, and it has the ability to draw extra energy from somewhere, like body fat, it will build muscle. The caloric surplus doesn't always have to come from your diet.

Now, the rules change the leaner you get, because at a certain point, your body doesn't want to surrender any more fat, but that point appears to be pretty low.

Muscle gains are far more training-related than they are diet-related, so long as you're getting adequate protein.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/07/12 06:01 PM

i've been averaging about 170-180g per day... kinda basing my needs off of LBM vs just BM... obviously still a little more than the 1g per pound of LBM so maybe it is possible that I have added some muscle size...

that'd be cool as fuck... LOL...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
05/07/12 06:11 PM

You should check out John Barban / Brad Howard's latest blog posts. Their goal was simply to prove an increase in LBM and a reduction in BF% with a caloric deficit. They measured before and after in a pod. Pretty cool stuff.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/08/12 11:28 AM

Nailed a final this morning at school, and had tons of free time, so i hit the gym for 35 minutes on the treadmill for 425 calories burned...

no school after this week is going to allow me more time for cardio in the AM...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/09/12 07:43 AM

Heading in for Deadlifts day... Feeling energetic, ready to blast some then too...

This Withings scale is really annoying the fuck out of me though... Reads 198.1 @ 20% lol, fuck your 20%... I know I'm far from hydrated when I woke up so I'll check the BF reading later but fuck I bought this thing looking for more accuracy, and I know DAMN WELL I'm far below 20, prolly approaching 13ish...

I'll post a pic after I shower today...

**DONOTDELETE**
()
05/09/12 09:13 AM

I'm doing deads today too

Here's a clip from my routine yesterday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q57qB6Kwroo&feature=related

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/09/12 02:02 PM

yeah nice vid there Art, you're a beast...

my 1+ set today was for 250... i ended up getting 12, and then did 175x10x5, which was probably more than i needed to do cause my current training max is only 260, so my 5 sets should probably be more like 135ish... but i am going to reset my training max on this lift for sure...

anyhow, here's a pic about 1.5 hours after my training, and no food intake for about 13 hours, so i look pretty flat... i did blow out my air, and my abs were like 50% flexed, but i can see them without even having to flex them at this point... still would like to lose 5 more pounds before the end of the month, but it's not imparitive... don't like the way my leg looks, cause of the angle... my leg looks alot wider from straight on instead of the camera being off to the side...

so like 198ish in this pic...

i gotta think my BF is under 15% at this point...

**DONOTDELETE**
()
05/09/12 02:14 PM

Good stuff

The tattoo looks a lot better when you're jacked

What are your goals right now?

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/09/12 02:23 PM

short term (end of May is to keep cutting, and get to 195 or below)...

starting June i want to do a 6 month bulk, but only looking to add like 10-12 pounds over that time, because i then plan to do a VERY slow cut (6 months), and compete in a show in June (Keystone Classic)... I'm not looking to blow up my weight, and will need to monitor my numbers closely, cause i don't want to have to lose a shit ton of weight to get conditioned...

i figure if i can get to 205-208 and maintain about 15%BF, then i would have to cut down (lose 18 pounds over 6 months) and end up around 190 @ 7% for the show... i feel i'd be carrying plenty of muscle to be somewhat competitive... my height my be a disadvantage (74"), but I think at 190 i will look big and conditioned enough to at least get noticed...

**DONOTDELETE**
()
05/09/12 02:54 PM

Nice.

You're only an inch or so shorter than me. I thought you were like 5'10 or something. You carry 195-200 a lot better than me, I look small at that weight.

Competing should be interesting. Are you gonna get all tan and shit?

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/09/12 03:17 PM

Well I'd use the pro tan lotion or whatever that shit is. I don't want my ink to get faded by baking in a bed. I'd likely do some tanning but will use sunblock on my arm...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/10/12 06:53 AM

Huh, wasn't expecting that this morning...

Scale read 196.7... Big drop from yesterday's number... Took 2200 cals in too...

(Post Master Supreme)
05/10/12 07:14 AM

wasting away! don't go hx guy on me bro lol

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/10/12 01:21 PM

lol, no worry about that... my goal was 195 and if i reach that before the end of the month, no worries... i'll continue my cut through the month and then start increasing my cals or just reducing my cardio a bit per week (200 cals), until i start making slight gains, then level off at that calorie level through my bulk...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
05/10/12 01:24 PM

How tall are you again? I seem to remember you being about my height (5'11"-6').

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/10/12 01:29 PM

i'm about 6'2"... probably more like 6' 1 5/8" if you want to get technical...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/11/12 06:04 PM

and another kick ass workout today...

my bench press strength has always been pretty sad even when i was in great shape... today my 1+ set was 215, and I got 7 reps, then attempted the 8th but needed help in the middle of the rep...

moved up to 70# dbs for my 5 sets of 10... got 10 each time, and will move up again to 75# the workout following the deload week...

pullups got 5 sets of 8 and will add some weight starting the week after the deload as well...

db rear delt flyes - 30x12x3 last set only got 11 though...

weighted dips, did 3 sets of 50# for 8-10 reps each... i think i went 10,10,8... may go ahead and move up to 60# then right away...

strength continues to improve and weight loss is still happening...

going low carb next week during deload for one last attack on some bodyfat before i increase caloric intake to 2400 a day the following week, then 2500, 2600, 2700 etc... until i reach the point where i am gaining about .5#'s per week...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/12/12 01:13 PM

Squats today... 1+ @ 230 I got 11 solid reps...

So I will definitely retest that lift next week and get a new training max for the next cycle...

Then did 5 more sets of squats, followed by step ups, seated calf, biceps work and finally some stuff for grip... I'll be going in this afternoon to get my cardio and abs in as I didn't have time this morning...

(Post Master Supreme)
05/13/12 02:55 AM

Good job Cory, I mean it, every time I fall off track or so something shitty and go to log my shame I see you still kicking ass and sticking to your plan and it's really motivating for me even though I can't lift anything until I see a dr about my lat. Really depressing not knowing what in the fuck is going on back there so it's hard to stay on it but I'm not off by too much these days.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/13/12 06:02 AM

What did you do to your back...? Hurt it lifting or otherwise...?

Hopefully you can get that taken care of soon and get back on the horse...

Just gonna hit some cardio today... Looking for a 400 calorie burn and doing that low carb thang next week... Not looking forward to it but gotta see how I react to it again... Light weights next week so not worried about "feeling rundown"...

(Post Master Supreme)
05/13/12 07:17 AM

I don't know whats wrong with it, its right in my infraspintas or teras minor/major area. I haven't looked in a mirror to touch but it's almost like a tendinitis flare up or something, my back in that area for no reason will just catch on fire. I think it's just how I have my hands positioned when I work at night that's causing it because I can workout just fine but just being idle and not doing something is when I feel the pain. So I can't really assume I'll most likely need an mri.

I don't want to assume it's minor and then turns out to be something a lot worse and I go on fucking it up even more working out. So I'll have to stick to jogging for the time being.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/13/12 08:17 PM

well get it looked at... no sense in letting it go on unchecked...

kinda not looking forward to this coming week... i want to lift, but it's a deload week... i am at least going to retest my dead and squats so that's something to look forward to...

i will hit the prescribed weights on everything else, but may throw in one "heavier" accessory exercise just to do something... i know as i progress with this, i'll need to use these deloads as recovery weeks, but at this point i'm lifting so "light" i don't need a recovery week at this point...

mrnismo
(Post Master)
05/14/12 01:53 PM

Hey 137, I have a ton of pain in that area from keyboarding jockeying all day. I have to foam roll the living shit out of that area or it starts making the whole shoulder and upper back area hurt like hell.

Not saying it'll work for you but if you get it checked out and all is 'ok' structurally then something to think about anyway.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/18/12 07:41 PM

Ok tomorrow is the end of week 8 on my 5/3/1... Finishing up my deload week and aside from the main lifts (did the prescribed reps and weights) but hit it pretty good on the accessory work... My body said go for it, no need to take it too easy this week...

Here's a pic from tonight... I'm settling at about 195 pounds on this cut, not sure of bodyfat but im guessing about 15% at the moment... Now it's time to put on size... Big areas of focus for me are going to be chest and legs... My back grows pretty well as well as shoulders and arms... See how things are going after 8 weeks and reevaluate where I need to add more focus...

Hoping to cut some bodyfat over the next few weeks as I start a maintenance level then start to increase cals ever so slightly over the next 8-10 weeks...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/21/12 11:29 AM

Well I don't know if it was all the bullshit carbs I had over the weekend but I didn't feel explosive in the gym today...

My OHP went good and my set of 5+ I got 9 @135...

Then DB shoulder press I struggled as well as incline DB press... DB laterals I did 3 sets of 10 @ 30...

Banged out 5 sets of rows, shrugs then 6 sets for triceps...

Was a good day just felt weak doing the DB pressing movements...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
05/21/12 03:23 PM

Nice job on the ohp.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
05/24/12 11:27 AM

Deadlifts yesterday... Set of 5+ @ 255 I did 11... Prolly could have gotten a few more but I'd have been using lower back to finish move vs hips / flutes...

Leg press, leg curls, donkey calf to finish off legs then some bis and abs...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
06/04/12 11:48 AM

Reall ticked myself off today...

My set of 1+ on my OHP was for 150lbs... So I get under the bar and only manage 3 reps... Tried 4th but didn't go...

So I'm taking the weight off and realize, drrrrrrrr, I had 160lbs on that bitch... FUARK ME...

Anyhow I was shooting for 5-6 reps cause last 1+ set I got 6... At the end of the workout I was so annoyed I went back and put 150 on the bar and squeezed out 4 reps... Definitely think I had 5-6 if I had 150 on originally... Ugh...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
06/10/12 10:12 PM

Deload week coming up... Will do the prescribed reps and weights for the main lifts but will still be hitting the accessory work hard...

This is the end of my 3rd cycle of the 5/3/1 and looking coward to the next...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
06/10/12 11:20 PM

\:\(

Jrobski
(Post Master Sr)
06/11/12 02:21 AM

D

How do you like the 531 as opposed to the 5x5 or Madcow? What are the differences that you've seen? I'm half way through the 5x5 and I really like it. I'd like to keep going but I think I'll take a month to change it up a bit before I go back to it.

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
06/11/12 04:52 AM

One month is not enough to reap any benefit from the 531. Stick with the 5x5.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
06/11/12 11:20 AM

Having used both I much prefer the 531... It's allows for more of the rep ranges that I enjoy... I mean you can certainly do more on the 5x5 but then you're kinda really badtardizing the essence of it which could make you say bad things about it later...

And yeah if you're going to go 531 commit to it... 1 month isn't going to anything for you cause it takes 2-3 months to work up to what your original max lifts were...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
06/18/12 01:42 PM

Start of the 4th month on my 531...

Today OH Press...

140 for 5+, I got 8 reps, tried 9th but failed... that puts my 1RM at about 178...

DB presses afterwards 60 x 10,8,7
DB incline press 75 x 10,8,8
DB laterals - 30 x 10,10,10
Barbell rows - 170 x 10,10,10
Kroc Rows - 90 x 10,10
DB shrugs - 95 x 12,12,12
DB rear delt laterals - 30 x 12, 35 x 10,10
Vbar pressdowns - 3 sets of 10-12
DB kickbacks - 3 sets of 10

good workout but the db shoulder and incline presses felt really heavy today... I contribute it to the 5+ set on the OHP that kicked my ass...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
06/20/12 01:01 PM

Deadlift day today was excellent...

my set of 5+ @ 265 I got for 15 reps which was 4 more than i got in my previous 5+ workout... that was pretty sweet deal even though i'm not pulling a ton of weight, but by the calculator that would put my max up around 400lbs with that today...

Did 5x10 @ 185 then after the 5+ set...

Leg press - 3x10 @ 500
Donkey calf - 5x10 @ 310
Seated leg curl - 3x10 @ 190
DB curls - 5 sets of 8-10 reps, pyramid down from 55 to 40

Skipped my hanging leg raises but will hit them up tomorrow after cardio...

Dropped back down to 194.3 today after being 196.3 monday morning, @ 3000 cals...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
06/20/12 01:10 PM

I tried a new preworkout today, so i don't know if that had something to do with the 15 reps on deads...

My typical preworkout i've been using has been...

1 scoop Jack3d
6g citruline malate
4g ALCAR
3g beta alanine
5g BCAA
300mg acetyl l-lyrosine

Today I tried Scivation's Novem which has beta alanine, caffeine, and acetyl l-tyrosine in it already along with some creatine (not sure why they put this in any preworkouts), along with some other ingredients that aren't in my typical preworkout...

So i didn't have any of the 1,3 dimethyl that's in the jack3d but that didn't seem to affect my workout at all, almost made it better... so i'm gonna do this combo again friday and see how my bench reacts to it...

I think my 5+ set is for 200... hoping to beat my last 5+ set by a couple reps this time...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
06/25/12 07:16 PM

Start of week 3, overhead press my 1+ set today was for 140... i got 7 reps, which seems like alot more than what i should be getting but i'm sure the reps will start to fall over the next months...

My 3+ set on OHP today was 145, which I knocked out 8 reps so strength is definitely improving with this program...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
06/25/12 07:30 PM

Word

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
06/27/12 10:15 AM

Deadlift today 280 for 3+... I pulled 13 reps double overhand no straps...

Felt pretty damn good too...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
07/05/12 11:26 AM

Been battling an elbow / grip issue in my left arm the last week...

Deadlifts yesterday my 1+ set was @ 295... I used my partners straps to start the set but made my grip feel even weaker so after 6 reps I under them and pulled 4 more reps for a total of 10...

Skipped the 5x10 reps then and replaced with hack squats with feet high on platform... Felt pretty good and will be adding these in for the next 2 cycles... Last set was 230x10...

Deload week upcoming but will hit accessory work hard then we have a full week off for vacation... Should do me good...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
07/09/12 10:41 PM

Update on weight... 197.5 this morning, but i expect that to fall a bit the next couple of days... kinda went hog wild over the last 5 days as I was off work...

Here's a shot from this evening...

(Post Master Supreme)
07/09/12 11:55 PM

dat chest! hope your elbow/grip heals up dude. I had a nasty strike of tendonitis that started in the wrists from shit seating position at work, made it's way up the elbow and into the middle of my lat/traps. and anything I gripped would cause stinging pain in my mid back. tingly fingers and all that shit.

all better now, but man that was scary.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
07/13/12 03:26 PM

1 more squat / leg session tomorrow then I have a week off... Not sure how I feel about that but I know it will be beneficial to me physically...

Just hard to drop everything for a week after going hard for the last 4 months...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
07/23/12 11:20 AM

Back from vacation, back in the gym today...

Ate like a fucking champ over the last 7 days and oddly enough i didn't gain any weight from my weigh in before i left... i definitely look more smooth, likely from the sodium intake over the last week, but i was expecting to add some scale weight...

First day back at the gym, and weight did feel "heavy", but felt good to get in and get back into the groove... probably be til the end of the week before my strength level is back... left elbow still bugging me though... guess i'll need to go get that looked at eventually...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
08/03/12 01:50 PM

Deadlift today 280 for 3+... I pulled 13 reps double overhand no straps...

Felt pretty damn good too...

3+ @ 290 on Wednesday, knocked out 14 reps double overhand no straps... deads are definitely improving the most of all my lifts...

Bench still sucks though... today for 3+ @ 220, i got 7 reps... but that was an improvment over my last 2+ week where I only got 6, so making gainz there too...

Bodyweight is around 198.7-199.5 day to day... Body mass is increasing slowly, and hope to be above 200 daily by the end of the month... caloric intake currently is around 3400-3800 with most days around 3500...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
08/03/12 01:50 PM

macros i'm trying to hit are 95/425/210ish...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
08/12/12 02:20 PM

Starting my 5th deload week this week... last weeks workouts were pretty half assed, as I hurt my lower back the prior week on my 3+ set of sqauts... it was 260lbs, and on the 8th one, i felt something in the lower back... worked through it and did my 5 sets at 170, but really was sore until like Thursday / Friday this week...

Felt "pretty good" up until today, had football practice (TE), and kept having to block this short fucker off the corner, couldn't get any leverage against him, and now my lower back is tight again... i'll be using this deload week to really get back into my full body stretching after every workout... no squats or deads this week, unless I feel good about them... they are light anyhow, but i need this lower back thing to be resolved before 8/26, as games start, and i don't want to go out there half assed...

Hanging right around 199 still, figure i'll creep up to that 200lb mark within the next week... not as lean as I was 2 months ago, but still showing abs, so i'm ok with the rate of weight gain so far...

(Post Master Supreme)
08/13/12 07:02 PM

Good job man, foam roll and lacross ball the shit out of your lower back

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
08/14/12 01:28 PM

I was under the impression that foam rolling your lower back was a big no no... i'm going to see the chiro tomorrow and get some xrays... i'm pretty sure it's a muscle issue, but better safe than sorry... lower back is TIGHT AS FUCK...!

65_289
(Post Master Sr)
08/14/12 08:02 PM

Yeah, I have read the same. I had some lower back issues after a mishap with poor deadlifting form. I started foam rolling the hamstrings, glutes, and piriformis, and that helped me feel much better. I'm a believer in rolling after that. Good luck, back issues fucking suck!

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
08/20/12 04:37 PM

Back to my 5's week today, and the back is feeling "better"... still not where it should be, but did not hinder my performance today...

my 5+ set on OHP for 145, i got 9 reps... last one was rough, but managed to eek it out... then moved onto db shoulder press... started with 70's and got 10,8, then had to drop to 65 and got 8 on the 3rd and final set...

other highlights were the 90lb db flat bench for 10,9,8, then had to drop to 85 and got 2 more sets of 8...

t-bar rows with 170lbs, for 5 sets of 10... man these felt "easy", and will definitely move up to 180 (4 plates) next week... not sure why but i can row like a mofo, yet my back is not that wide or particularly thick, but of course i can't really see what's doing back there... lol...

deadlifts on the table for wednesday and i think i'm going to give them a go...

i am HOWEVER removing squats from the program for the next month... i will replace them with leg press, and do the same progressive 5,3,1 routine with them... i can still build mass as long as i'm lifting progressively heavier, and it's save my back until i can get it "right"...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
08/20/12 05:04 PM

Leg presses can be harder on your back than squats, especially the lower back.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
08/20/12 05:35 PM

that's assuming you allow your ass to curl up at the bottom of the movement though, correct...?

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
08/20/12 05:38 PM

I think it's more a matter of how the weight of the machine is transferred directly to the lower back instead of to the hips due to the way you have to sit on the machine.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
08/20/12 06:04 PM

i wonder if some sleds are different than others... i did leg press on Saturday (not very heavy) but had zero discomfort when doing them... i think my last set was like 450 for 12 reps...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
08/21/12 12:40 AM

They are. I think it's more of a repetitive stress injury than something that's acute.

I prefer single leg squats over the leg press. I have a defect in my spine and can't do regular squats any more, but the single leg lets me do the movement and doesn't impact my spine at all. Leg press is a big no-no for me.

(Post Master Supreme)
08/25/12 02:35 AM

speaking of squatting, hit 315 in the globo for 1 rep, wanted to go for a second rep but didn't want to freak everyone the fuckout if it wasn't coming up and had to ditch lol. Should be a lot higher, but squatting in front of a mirror is godamned distracting as fuck.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
08/25/12 06:28 AM

Only cause you're so god damn sexy...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/03/12 10:05 AM

531 week...

OHP 1+ @ 165 I got 4 reps, then did 3 sets of seated DB press 70x8...

Ill be going for 315 deadlift for 1+ Wednesday... Shooting for 10 reps...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
09/03/12 09:47 PM

Question: Do you use a spreadsheet to track your programming?

If so, which one do you use?

I ask because the one I use tracks your 1RM based upon the reps you do for each exercise each week, and I've noticed that if I get 12 reps on the first week's max, and then, say, 8 on the next, my 1RM is a lot lower based upon the formula.

Not that it really matters where progress is concerned. It's just something I noticed and thought was interesting. I wonder if that difference will get lower as I get back up into good weights over the next few months, and the rep ranges are a lot less varied from week to week.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/03/12 10:26 PM

I'm just using a homemade excel sheet... I don't track my theoretical maxes on it but do calculate them after my workouts from time to time...

Makes sense that it jumps around like that but I can see how that can be a point of frustration... Probably why I don't track it and only track rep number and attempt to equal previous workouts number... Only comparing the 5+ weeks to each other, 3+ weeks to each other etc...

Like today my last 1+ reps was 4... So I wanted to get 4 if possible... That 4th one was hard as fuck but I eeked it out... Next 1+ I highly doubt I'll get 4...

(Post Master Supreme)
09/05/12 02:45 AM

how did the deadlifts work out? how's your back doing?

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/05/12 06:00 AM

Going in this morning... Back has not been an "issue" for last 2 weeks but it's still tight at times...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/05/12 10:59 AM

315 felt heavy as fuck today... was dissapointed cause i only did 8 reps... i probably could have gone for a few more but didn't want to hurt myself, and my grip started to fail at 6, so i just called it quits at 8...

banged out 5x10 with 200 then, and hit hammie curls, calf raise, shrugs, and biceps...

good workout aside from the 8 reps on the deadlift 1+...

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
09/05/12 03:11 PM

I'm not sure how your 1RM set is netting 8 reps. Over estimating?

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/05/12 03:30 PM

It's not a 1RM. It's a 1+... Your goal is to at least get 1... As the program advances your reps will fall... Last 1+ I got 10, and before that 15...

So I'm advancing at a decent pace... I could bump my training maxes higher than the normal 10 I do for deadlift to up my weights but progressing slowly is better than
stalling out to early... I feel the 531 is at least a year long progression if you start conservative and make incremental increases in your training maxes each week....

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
09/05/12 03:49 PM

But it's based on an actual 1RM x 0.90 to start. Even at that, I'm not yanking 10 reps. So you must have started lower or be progressing like a mad man.

I've been able to get more than 1 rep, but it's still usually 3-5 to start then after about 5 months, it's more down to 1-2.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/05/12 07:05 PM

It's not based on a 1RM to start... You're supposed to pick a weight that is like 80% of your guesstimated 1RM then do as many as you can and plug it into the formula to get your theoretical 1RM, then yeah x .90 to get your training max...

Needless to say I was weak as nuts when I started this that's why my 1+ and 3+ sets I'm still able to pull multiples... So I am progressing very nicely and will likely bump my dead and squat training maxes by 15 or 20 next cycle vs just 10...

I stick with the 5lb bumps on the OHP and BP cause my reps aren't as high as the lower body...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/17/12 09:36 AM

Start of month 7 on my 531 and still making dem GAINZ...

OHP for 5+ today at 150 I got 9 which matched my last 5+ set of 145...

One thing everyone needs to remember is keep yourself hydrated... Rest of my workout today I really struggled... Weights felt heavy as fuck had no endurance and my mouth was dry as fuck, couldn't get enough water... Yesterday I hardly drank any water, just say around after flag football watching the NFL and my water intake was sporadic at best...

I contribute my lackluster performance today to a lack of hydration... I managed to still bang out the weight but my reps were lower than I was shooting for...

OH DB press 70x9,8,7
Tbar rows 190x11,11,10,8 then dropped to 135x12
DB flat press (where I started to struggle) 95x9,8,7,6 dropped to 80x9
Close grip bench was fail 175x9,7,6 was shooting for 3 sets of 10
Killed my lateral and bent over lateral raises though 35x12x3

Still making ALL KINDZ OF GAINZ... <tmw> those guys crack me up, just good comedy...

65_289
(Post Master Sr)
09/17/12 11:02 AM

Originally Posted By: OB1
I still don't understand this routine. \:\(

His specific exercise choice or 5/3/1 in general?

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/17/12 11:06 AM

It's so simple and customizable... It's a fucking no brainer for anyone who is looking to make strength and hypertrophy gains... Other programs work too, but I just like the way this one sets up for me...

Week 1

Day 1
OHP 3 sets of 5, last set is 5+ (do at least 5 but continue until failure or just prior to failure)
Then you can choose to do 5 sets x 10 at 55% of your training max... What's your training max...?

You can determine your trainIng max by taking your real world 1RM and taking 90% of that... OHP max is 170? So your training max is 153, round up to 155...

Week 1 of 4 week cycle has you doing a set of 5 with (don't quote me on these figures cause I have them built into an excel sheet and just plug in my training max each month and it self populates for me) 60% TM, set of 5 with 70% TM, set of 5+ with 80% of TM...

Got that...?

Move to week 2 you do a set of 3 with 70% TM, 3 with 80% TM, set of 3+ with 90% TM
Move to week 3 you do a set of 5 with 75% TM, 3 with 85% TM, set of 1+ with 95% TM ( hence the name 5/3/1)
Move to week 4 (deload week) you do 3 sets of 5 with 40,50,60% TM

After week you'll go back into your spreadsheet and up your training maxes 5# on OHP and bench press, and 10# on deadlift and squat (im doing leg press as I'm taking a break from squatting as I hurts back squatting several weeks back)...

Start over on Week 1 of your 2nd cycle...

What I'll do is attempt to match the number I hit on my previous week 1 5+, but as you progress and your weights continue to increase that's not likely to happen... If you start out conservative and make small increases 5-10 pounds each month on training maxes you should be able to make consitent gains...

You can set this up on a 2,3,4 day work week but I'd recommend the 4 day, 3 day seems doable but if you can only train twice a week it can work on that schedule but it's not for me..

Accesory work is at your discretion... You could literally just do the 4 main lifts and be done... Some people do the 5 sets of 10 after the + sets but I typically only do those on the lower body lifts... I throw in more DB work on upper body days and typo ally go for 5 sets of 10 with the heaviest weights I can do... Once I can consistently hit those 5 sets of 10 I'll bump weights and maybe get 5 sets of 8 then 9 then 10 etc...

EASY SCHMEEZEY...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/17/12 11:31 AM

Oh a better way to determine your training max is to estimate what your max may be and then take 80% of that number and rep til failure...

You estimate your bench max is 250... X .8 = 200...

You rep 200 for 10 reps...

Then use this formula to determine your " theoretical max)...

Weight (200) x reps (10) x .0333 + weight (200)

200x10x.0333+200 = 266 x .9 = 240 training max...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/17/12 11:37 AM

Example of gains i've made to date...

first OHP day my 5+ set looked like this...

125x9 theoretical max from that would be 125x9x.0333+125 = 162

todays 5+ looked like this...

150x9 theoretical max from that would be 150x9x.0333+150 = 195

GAINZ, MO GAINZ...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/20/12 05:42 PM

Deadlifts yesterday for 5+ @ 290 did 12 and stopped... could have done a few more, but i told myself if i hit 12 i'm done... if i keep hitting these high ass rep numbers i will continue to bump my training maxes by 15 vs 10 pounds fromn month to month...

tomorrow my 5+ bench is 215... really hoping to get 10... may not seem like alot to you big benchers, but my bench has always been shittay...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
09/20/12 10:33 PM

Better than my bench . . .

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/21/12 09:10 AM

Well got 9 @ 215... 1 more rep than my last 5+ set so ill take it... Gainz is gainz...

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
09/21/12 09:42 AM

Exactly. My gains seems pretty minor right now, but I think the whole point of the 5-3-1 is that even small gains are gains, so any progression matters.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/21/12 11:00 AM

No doubt...

(Post Master Supreme)
09/21/12 11:56 PM

Deadlifts yesterday for 5+ @ 290 did 12 and stopped... could have done a few more, but i told myself if i hit 12 i'm done... if i keep hitting these high ass rep numbers i will continue to bump my training maxes by 15 vs 10 pounds fromn month to month...

tomorrow my 5+ bench is 215... really hoping to get 10... may not seem like alot to you big benchers, but my bench has always been shittay...

I'd love to hit anything over my body weight for reps. Slowly getting there! Chest is going to look awesome one that bottom tit fat melts away!

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/24/12 10:23 PM

OHP today for a set of 3+ @ 160 I got 7 reps...

According to that formula I could press nearly 200 overhead...

I noticed today importantly that I actually bring the bar down to damn near my chest... Here I thought I was stopping at parallel, didn't even realize I was going down that far...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
09/28/12 01:32 PM

Deads on Wednsesday 3+ @ 310 = 10 - (i think)... maybe 12, i don't have my paper in front of me, but leaning towards 10...

Bench press today 3+ @ 225 = 7

I will definitley be using the upcoming deload week to actually deload... have yet to really use it in it's true fashion, but feel the weights are starting to feel a bit heavy, although i'm still making gains...

last week on incline db press @ 90 i did 9,8,7 dropped to 80 for 8,7
this week on incline db press @ 90 i did 9,9,8,7 dropped to 80 for 9

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
10/01/12 09:47 AM

OHP for 1+ today @ 170 I was shooting for 3 ended up getting 4...

Looking forward to deload next week... Shuts starting to get heavaaay soooonnnnnn...

http://youtu.be/m0x8peqX0t8

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
10/03/12 09:47 AM

Deadlift today 1+ @ 325 I got 8 reps...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
10/24/12 03:09 PM

Deadlift today for 3+ @ 315 hit 10 reps... Might have pulled 1-2 more but lower back was stiff last few days so didn't go all out...

I think this is the last cycle ill be doing of the 531 for the next 7-8 months... I plan to start my contest prep at end if December and want to get more volume in vs trying to jam push and pulling into same days so I'm gonna go to a 5 day workout week and follow a push, pull, legs split... Days off will me Tuesday and Thursday...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
10/28/12 03:28 PM

last week of my 531 run coming up... made some good strength gains with it, and will go back to it again after my contest prep, but want to bump the volume for the next 6 months...

updated pic at 205... still have some abs going, but definitely added a bit of fat weight, but also some lean mass... i store alot of fat on my lumbar (love handle) region...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
11/01/12 03:59 PM

Last week of my current attack on this 531... wednesday my 1+ on deads was @335, which i pulled 10 reps... may have been able to do 1-2 more, but i didn't want to get crazy, considering i had like 25 more sets of other stuff to do...

tomorrow i will be doing 1+ @ 250 on the bench press... really hoping to bang out 4 or more, but we shall see...

looking forward to moving onto new program, but will definitely revisit the 531 in my next "offseason"...

I will continue my progress updates here, but will be using a different protocol... i have decided to continue with a "bulk" phase through the end of this year, and then start a 28-32 week cut and compete in October 2013...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
11/09/12 08:15 PM

First week of my new training program is nearly in the books... (ran out of time today, and didn't get my calf work in so i'll do them tomorrow)

First 2 workouts are strength based (3-8 rep range)
-Day 1 is upper body
-Day 2 is lower body

Next 3 days are more hypertophy work (8-20 rep range - varies on the movement)
-Day 3 is pushing
-Day 4 is pulling
-Day 5 is legs - I fucking annihilated my shit today... high reps really does fuck your shit up when you're not used to it...

Today's workout
Squat - 3x10-15
Hack squat - 2x10-15
Walking lunges - 3x30-40
Leg extension - 3x10-25
Lying leg curl - 2x10-15
Seated leg curl - 2x10-15
SLDL - 2x10-15

I hit the upper rep range most of the time, except for leg extensions, i knocked out 13,14,15... my quads were shot after those lunges, but improved on each successive set... I do them single leg so try and keep them symetrical...

Looking forward to the next week, and pushing some bigger weights on Sunday and Monday...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
11/09/12 08:17 PM

current macros

training days
500c/75f/210p = 3515cals

off days
360c/80f/220p = 3040cals

Saturday refeed
680c/55f/175p = 3915cals

Currently only hitting 1 off day on macros, as Saturday is off training, but is the refeed...

65_289
(Post Master Sr)
11/09/12 08:55 PM

current macros

training days
500c/75f/210p = 3515cals

off days
360c/80f/220p = 3040cals

Saturday refeed
680c/55f/175p = 3915cals

Currently only hitting 1 off day on macros, as Saturday is off training, but is the refeed...

Can you post more details on your diet? Like maybe an example day? I am up 400 calories per day and have not put on a pound. I'm thinking I will need to be up near or above 3000 to gain any weight.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
11/10/12 06:48 AM

If you're on Myfitnesspal you can look me up at ckneasel...

If not I can post up a typical day here for you...

What's your current weight...?

65_289
(Post Master Sr)
11/10/12 07:14 AM

If you're on Myfitnesspal you can look me up at ckneasel...

If not I can post up a typical day here for you...

What's your current weight...?

I have an account, I'll check yours out. Thanks!

This morning I am 138.9. I used to be about 10 lbs heavier until I started 4 days a week of BJJ. Currently I am eating 2400 per day with about 22/37/41 f/c/p. I was eating about 1800 per day and strangely I haven't gained any weight since upping it. I have better recovery and can train harder now, but no weight gain. Now I can also lift decently on 2 of my off days.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
11/10/12 09:58 AM

You must have some high activity level to be maintaining at 2400... What's BJJ...?

Your protein intake seems like overkill... At 140 pounds you certainly don't need 240g protein...

65_289
(Post Master Sr)
11/10/12 01:26 PM

You must have some high activity level to be maintaining at 2400... What's BJJ...?

Your protein intake seems like overkill... At 140 pounds you certainly don't need 240g protein...

BJJ is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Technically 2 days a week is MMA with striking, takedowns, and ground work, and 2 days are straight BJJ in the gi. And 2 other days I lift 5/3/1, so I am fairly busy.

You think 240 is too high for trying to gain lean mass?

65_289
(Post Master Sr)
11/10/12 01:42 PM

I'll stop hijacking your thread now. \:\)

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
11/10/12 03:00 PM

For you weight 140 it's definitely overkill... Personally I'd drop it to 150 and add some more carbs and fats...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
11/11/12 03:56 PM

Some gym vids from today...

Incline DB Press 100x5
http://youtu.be/feSP-VzbEfk

DB rows 130x5
http://youtu.be/ljuMvSD5GZQ

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
11/11/12 03:58 PM

Tried doing the 110's today... Lol no dice... Couldn't even get the first one up... I wish my gym had 105's... I'm supposed to be doing 3-5 reps without going to failure... I can do the 100's for 5 but that jump to 110 is just too much... Prolly have to move to a barbell press to be able to make weekly increases...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
11/19/12 12:58 PM

Just started week 3 of my new training, and it's going pretty well...

Squat today was 3 sets of 3-5... I hadn't done squats for a few months do to jacking up my back a few months earlier, but decided it was time to give it a go again...

I never was a good deep squatter... i always felt if I got close to parallel that was good enough to get the job done... I'd like to get lower, but either I'm a pussy and afraid to get lower, or my body simply doesn't want to get down there... I'm sure there are 6+ footers that can go ATG but for me, i just don't see that happening...

Here's a depth check vid I took today at 275... the last set was @ 285 and was nearly touching the spotter bars so I'm happy with that... Looks like i'll be able to get up beyond 300+ pounds again here soon... taking baby steps, but want these legs to grow, so gotta push it too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQHd_eKddeo&feature=share&list=UUqmuxgc4ruXcmwFUaO7fpUw

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
11/19/12 01:54 PM

Oh yeah new macros...

training days
525c/80f/210p = 3660cals

off days
400c/80f/220p = 3200cals

Friday refeed - moved to Friday so it fell on a training day...
700c/65f/175p = 4085cals

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
11/19/12 01:54 PM

weight sitting at 203-204 still... should increase with a bump in cals...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
11/20/12 05:34 AM

Just started week 3 of my new training, and it's going pretty well...

Squat today was 3 sets of 3-5... I hadn't done squats for a few months do to jacking up my back a few months earlier, but decided it was time to give it a go again...

I never was a good deep squatter... i always felt if I got close to parallel that was good enough to get the job done... I'd like to get lower, but either I'm a pussy and afraid to get lower, or my body simply doesn't want to get down there... I'm sure there are 6+ footers that can go ATG but for me, i just don't see that happening...

Here's a depth check vid I took today at 275... the last set was @ 285 and was nearly touching the spotter bars so I'm happy with that... Looks like i'll be able to get up beyond 300+ pounds again here soon... taking baby steps, but want these legs to grow, so gotta push it too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQHd_eKddeo&feature=share&list=UUqmuxgc4ruXcmwFUaO7fpUw

Not bad. I think you definitely need to go lower, but it looks like more of a flexibility issue than anything else.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
11/20/12 08:56 AM

Yeah I have been working on my hip flexors more recently... Really trying to be able to open up more as well... I think I'm a little hesitant to really "go for it" cause of the back but am gaining more confident with each workout...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
11/20/12 09:25 AM

I know that feel, bro.

(Post Master Supreme)
11/21/12 12:10 AM

as far as working on getting more depth out of your squat cory, you can do a few things if it's really important to you.

1. wall squats without touching your knee's or hands against the wall and having a target to fixate that "up" for you.

2. in the chained weight belt thread I posted some squats using a dip belt. hanging at the bottom will help your ankle flexibility, balance, and stretch out all of those stiff bastard muscles that cause you to get stuck in a hole.

I won't recommend the worst of them all because it doesn't seem like getting more depth out of your squat is important to you currently but it's pretty much putting the bar on the spotters bar and only doing positive's from the hole.

example vid of what things to work on if you're interested.
http://youtu.be/djtJORnu_sE

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
11/23/12 02:44 PM

http://youtu.be/5g1Oky5U5xQ

New vid from today's workout... This was my 3rd set of 10-15... I chose to do 3 sets of 12...

I lowered the spotter bars another peg and feel I got lower than last workout... Will continue to progress...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
11/24/12 06:55 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjlSVOGu4II

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
11/24/12 08:12 AM

Lol...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
11/30/12 11:13 AM

http://youtu.be/hnF17xDRaYs

Bumped to 225 for hypertrophy leg day... Felt pretty good... This was 2nd set of 3...

(Post Master Supreme)
12/01/12 12:18 AM

your knee's start to cave inwards at the bottom so you must be coming off of your heels a bit to get that low. try pushing the knee's outwards like I mentioned before and opening the hips to get back up. Otherwise that looked pretty monotonous and unfun as any high rep squat does lol.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
12/01/12 12:33 AM

God in some of those it looks like he's lift his hips than using his back to actually move the weight. Like it's two motions. I'm a bit surprised by that video. I feel like that exact motion is what I'm doing when my back starts hurting. Up with the hips then up with the upper body. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

(Post Master Supreme)
12/01/12 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta

God in some of those it looks like he's lift his hips than using his back to actually move the weight. Like it's two motions. I'm a bit surprised by that video. I feel like that exact motion is what I'm doing when my back starts hurting. Up with the hips then up with the upper body. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Mark Rippatoe or whatever the fuck has a good squat vid. I've linked it somewhere on here before he likes low bar but his vid shows him instructing high bar.

You don't necessarily want to do a deadlift with weight on your shoulders. you're keeping your torso nice and straight and tight and driving up with your ass and then bringing your hips through to stand up straight rather then extending back to stand if that makes sense.

Also when going down people tend to go down like they're putting a box down when instead you want to squat through your legs. that's why I think wall squats are important to teach you how to get the mechanics down before adding weight.

http://youtu.be/ievU6HFuCNc

you can kind of see what I'm talking about when I go for the 140kg triple on the 2nd and 3rd rep. I am pushing up with my ass and bring my hips through to stand back up.

Here is actually a pretty decent video although his barbell is gay

http://youtu.be/w79bznm0wy0

you see how he drives up with his ass, that's what you want to do and bring the hips forward to finish.

You may also incorporate some light or barbell only good knee bent good mornings to your routine to help strengthen your lower back and hamstrings.

sorry for the thread jack Cory!

Adam G
(Post Master Supreme)
12/03/12 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: 137
your knee's start to cave inwards at the bottom so you must be coming off of your heels a bit to get that low. try pushing the knee's outwards like I mentioned before and opening the hips to get back up. Otherwise that looked pretty monotonous and unfun as any high rep squat does lol.

I've had the knees caving inward problem for as long as I've been squatting. My trainer friend said it's because I'm not getting my glutes activated.

Diezel, you might also have poor ankle flexibility like I do. This is a good article on getting deeper and the supporting exercises that might help.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_arti..._a_deeper_squat

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
12/03/12 05:23 PM

Yeah my main thought when doing squats at this point is keeping the knees out... I by no means am an expert squatter... Just trying to improve the poundages I can move... Obviously I want to use the form that is going to translate to bigger lifts as bigger lifts means bigger muscles (my goal)...

On a side note I used my buddies belt today... Never used a belt in my life and was gonna try it on my last warmup set (275) but forgot... So I started my working sets (300) and did 4 then 4... On the last set he said try it out... I was skeptical cause i figured it would fuck with me and mess up my set...

Well I may be sold... Not sure how to explain it but my lower back felt like there was a board pushing against it and allowed me to power out of the hole much easier, which in turn have me a little confidence to drop drop more... I ended up doing 5 on my last set...

No video as I used him as a spotter today on my first 2 sets and then again on the last but ill be bumping to 305 on my power day next Monday and will get some vid...

(Post Master Supreme)
12/03/12 07:00 PM

it's because you're able to press against something. it's like a water ballon. a river flowing down a creek isn't going to generate any power than what it's already capable of as it grows, put a damn in there and boom!

(Post Master Supreme)
12/03/12 07:01 PM

but try not to rely on a belt, and just try to lift at capacity and use it when you are going for more than you normally can lift.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
12/03/12 07:17 PM

I only plan to use it on my low rep days...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
12/07/12 03:34 PM

I have a love / hate thing with Mutha effin leg day...

Squats
Hack squats
Walking lunges
Leg extension
Seated leg curl
Lying leg curl
SLDL'S
Standing calf
Seated calf
Leg press calf

Got it all in in 95 minutes though... Total of 21 working sets...quads felt like they grew 2" intra workout...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
12/10/12 08:30 PM

Squats today @ 305 for 3 sets of 5... went up pretty good, and will move to 315 next Monday... been A LONG time since i was under that kind of weight...

will try and get video of the lift, but i'll be wearing a belt... egads, i'm a pussy, but my back will thank me for it...

no belt for friday though when i'll knock out 240 for 12's...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
12/12/12 04:37 PM

Macros for this week...

training days
580c/90f/220p = 4010cals

off days
490c/90f/220p = 3650cals

Friday refeed
750c/80f/185p = 4460cals

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
12/17/12 07:41 PM

New macros, no refeed day...

Macros for this week...

training days
620cy/95f/220p = 4215

off days
540c/95f/240p = 3975

Squat vid from today @ 315... Still needs work but the weight didnt seem super heavy... Still working on flexibility in the hips... Also see my torso wants to go forward on the decent...

http://youtu.be/pLgy3jS6iSc

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
12/19/12 01:51 PM

Got my Inzer lever belt yesterday... will test it out on sqaut day friday, although it's the "light" day, i want to make sure I have the fit right for Monday's squat day, when I attempt 320 x 5 for 3 sets...

(Post Master Supreme)
12/20/12 12:31 AM

beefy, glad to see you've come back to the forefront here as the heavier squatter lol, I've been doing so much hiit training lately that I never get to squat, 300 felt god awful the other day.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
12/20/12 06:53 PM

Yeah feels good to be back but I'm really starting to wonder if squatting isn't in my wheelhouse anymore... Gonna keep working at it but am really considering going to 1 leg leg press as my main heavy lower body lift... We'll see how it progresses...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
12/24/12 06:15 PM

Put up 3 sets of 5 @ 320 in the squat rack today...

Hack squat 2 sets of 5 @ 320 as well...

SLDL'S 2 sets of 6 @ 305...

Weight is hovering between 206-207 currently...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
12/24/12 06:19 PM

This weeks macros...

training days
640c/95f/240p = 4375

off days
560c/95f/240p = 4055

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
12/28/12 02:11 PM

picked up a pair of Rheband knee sleeves, which came in today... wish i would have had them for this mornings leg training, but will have to wait until the Monday session...

todays training...

squats - 245x13x3
hack sqaut - 245x12x2
walking db lunges - 45x30x2
leg extensions 2 sets of 30 reps - did a drop set then a rest / pause to hit 30
lying leg curl - 3x12
seated leg curl - 3x12
SLDL - 210x15,12
standing calf - 240x24,19
seated calf - 135x20 - rest pause to reach 20
leg press calf 410x30 - rest pause to reach 30

I was SMOKED by the end of that session which took almost 110 minutes... guess i was taking a little longer rest sessions and took a good 15 minutes to do plenty of warming up before sqautting...

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
12/28/12 06:28 PM

Wendler would not be pleased with that volume!

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
12/29/12 11:44 AM

Lol no he would likely not... Luckily I'm not bastardizing his program... This was given to me by my prep coach... ;-)

(Post Master Supreme)
12/31/12 01:04 AM

The knee sleeves are a great way to warm your knee's up. I personally feel after a certain point they really don't too much besides making the temperature in your knee's high. Plus they tend to stretch if used for high volume repetition work. One of mine always sags after a few squats =(

I have the older blue ones and the thinner grey ones. I don't really have a preference either way.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
12/31/12 03:06 PM

Yeah I bought them for the warmth of the joint factor... They really helped keep my knees comfortable on Sunday...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/07/13 03:16 PM

Leg day yesterday...

12 sets of squats

5x5@320
4x3@340
3x2@355

4 sets of leg press, 2x30 reps and 2x25 reps
6 sets of smith maching calf rasies 5 reps per set... ended with 405 on last set...

then today was 12 sets bench press (i hate benching)
5x5@230
4x3@245
3x2@260

followed by deadlifts

2x5@340
2x3@375
1x2@405 - heavy as balls, but got them up with no hitch... definitely want to try and improve this lift over the next year, cause for my bodyweight (207-208), i should probably be able to pull alot more than that...

finished with some BB OHP...

1x5@150
1x3@160
1x2@170

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/07/13 03:17 PM

oh the bench press went better than expected... the last set of 260 i needed a little help out of the hole, but overall i felt i did a good job considering my bench press strength is not great...

(Post Master Supreme)
01/07/13 06:07 PM

oh the bench press went better than expected... the last set of 260 i needed a little help out of the hole, but overall i felt i did a good job considering my bench press strength is not great...

might want to look into getting a slingshot! stupid as they look they work.

http://www.howmuchyabench.net/

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/10/13 03:09 PM

In today's workout i lifted a total of 19,965lbs... LOL

fucking 12 sets of deadlifts (correction 11, i skipped the final set, i was SMOKED, by the time i got to my 10th set...

Today's workout...

Weight x reps x sets

Deadlifts
345x5x5
375x3x4
392x1x2 - wasn't going to be able to pull that last set, and this was supposed to be for doubles, but i did singles...

I had planned to pull 405's on my last 3 sets, as i pulled that on the previous workout, but only did 5 sets that workout, and started with the same weights this one... was not a good idea, too much volume to be able to pull those 405's at the end... next cycle, i will decrease the sets of 5 by a bit, and hopefully will be able to pull the 405's or a little more on the final 3 sets...

Bench press
235x5x2
250x3x2
265x2x1

OHP
160x5x1
170x3x1
180x2x1

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/14/13 01:44 PM

got 270 for 2 today on the bench press with no help... woot... next up 275... and they were full reps, all the way down to the chest, with my long ass arms...

macros are the same aside from a bump of 25g carbs... so they look like this...

training days
665c/95f/240p = 4475

off days
585c/95f/240p = 4155

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/14/13 01:45 PM

oh weigh in this morning was 209.9 but that was odd... was expecting more like 209.0... i'm sure it'll fall back down to around 209 by tomorrow... had pizza yesterday... sodium FTW...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/14/13 01:49 PM

Had some blood work done last week too, which turned out pretty decent...

181 : total cholesterol
111 : LDL
57 : HDL
3.2 : Ratio
65 : Triglycerides
94 : Glucose
124/78 : BP - this may be the best number i've EVER seen personally

This coming after before i started this journey my numbers were...

281 : total cholesterol
196 : LDL
53 : HDL
5.3 : Ratio
160 : Triglycerides
87 : Glucose
145/96 : BP

Big fucking difference between like 18 months...

(Post Master Supreme)
01/14/13 06:55 PM

heh, no longer 5/3/1 eh, see you added way more volume into your program.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/14/13 07:15 PM

Yeah I stopped the 531 in November and moved to a more traditional bodybuilding split but still utilizing some lower rep stuff also...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/21/13 01:02 PM

Update for this week...

Macros stay the same, average weigh ins increased to 209.4 last week...

Started back to week 1 of my bulking routine, and made good increases on all lifts from previous week 1 cycle... (3 weeks in cycle)

Squats yesterday:
335x5x2
355x3x2
370x2x1

SLDL
315x5x2
335x3x2
355x2x1

One legged press
340x6x2
360x4x1

Those were the highlights...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/25/13 01:33 PM

ordered a pair of squat shoes yesterday... been going back and forth if i wanted to get them or not for months... as much as i've been squatting (frequency), i figured what the hell... if it can help with my form "at all", it won't have been a bad investment...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/13 06:23 PM

some updated pics @ 211...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/13 06:27 PM

gamby
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/13 09:37 PM

Cripes, that's impressive!!! Amazing progress.

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/13 09:44 PM

Question....you went from low 200 lb squatting to almost 400 pounds in a matter of 7-8 months. Obviously, reps are different....but all normal/ natural gains?

Seems amazing to me. Obviously, you have your shit together.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/28/13 06:01 AM

When I started squatting again I started REALLY conservative... I had squatted larger weights years prior to quitting and taking up golf...

I've always been natural, but the more I learn the more I'm tempted to try dat dere shit, BUT, I wouldn't know where to go and I don't know enough yet to even attempt it...

Euphoricuck
(Post Master Supreme)
01/30/13 11:58 AM

he has a pretty seasoned base hes starting on here. its not like he was a 400lb fatty with zero workout history.

nice blood work,progress and bp...i cant get my upper number down no matter what. its alwasy been high even with mmy cray cardio routine(hereditary ftl)i should really get to the doc to get it back down \:\/

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/30/13 03:06 PM

I'm just glad I was able to get it under control via exercise and diet... My dad jerked over at 44 of a heart attack but he was a heavy smoker and drinker... Lean though...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
02/03/13 07:41 AM

Heading into the gym this morning to try my new squat shoes... Top set today is gonna be 380 for 2... At least that's "the plan"... Lol...

Back 5
(Post Master Supreme)
02/03/13 08:27 AM

I've always been natural, but the more I learn the more I'm tempted to try dat dere shit, BUT, I wouldn't know where to go and I don't know enough yet to even attempt it...

You're thinking of juicing? Why?

(Post Master Supreme)
02/03/13 08:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Back 5

You're thinking of juicing? Why?

I think he mentioned that he's contemplated it, you can do more work with less downtime. But he doesn't have a connect and wouldn't even know how to start, so it's best not to.

If he was in nor cal, vegas, or jersey. I could point in him in a bunch of directions lol.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
02/03/13 11:23 AM

I've thought about it many times but its just not for me... Too much shit to deal with and I'm not into all that additional chemistry...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
02/03/13 11:25 AM

380x2 went up quite well... I mean it was balls heavy but I hit parallel and the shit came back up so I was pleased...

415x2 on sumo deadlift went up without a hitch as well... Dem gainz....

(Post Master Supreme)
02/03/13 01:17 PM

wow you deadlifted and squated in the same day. you definitely hate yourself haha.

98V-TeC
(Post Master Supreme)
02/03/13 01:26 PM

Are you still doing a show? Hows your posing?

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
02/03/13 02:35 PM

My first show is October 2013... Posing is coming along... Practicing in a limited fashion right now... When I start my cut ill up it to 2x a week and increase that throughout prep...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
02/03/13 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: 137
wow you deadlifted and squated in the same day. you definitely hate yourself haha.

Well it was low volume today... Only 3 working sets of each...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
02/10/13 05:00 PM

Hit 385x2 on squat today... Inb4 your form sucks, etc...

http://youtu.be/QFh9RxJQAnU

FireInTheWhole
(Post Master Supreme)
02/10/13 09:27 PM

You look great, man. Huge progress!

That being said, that squat is not nearly low enough. Sorry, had to. Try dropping about 50 lbs off that bad boy and get that ass down.

FireInTheWhole
(Post Master Supreme)
02/10/13 09:52 PM

That being said, that squat is not nearly low enough. Sorry, had to. Try dropping about 50 lbs off that bad boy and get that ass down.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
02/10/13 10:29 PM

Same form with 135, 225... It's low enough to promote growth and that's all I'm concerned with at this point... Maybe after I compete ill look into some powerlifting shows and will try and correct my mobility enough to reach proper depth... Until then... Ehhh...

But thanks for props brah... I'm trying to catch up to your tree trunks... ;-)

(Post Master Supreme)
02/10/13 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: FireInTheWhole

Don't forget he's got robot hips dude.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
02/13/13 06:06 PM

still hanging around 212... may have to up the cals a little more to keep gaining...

current macros

training days
680c/90f/250p = 4530

off days
620c/90f/250p = 4290

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
02/13/13 06:10 PM

updated pic with a mugshot berd...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
02/13/13 06:10 PM

(Post Master Supreme)
02/13/13 07:36 PM

More hamstrings. More chest.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
02/13/13 07:49 PM

hey man, lay off my chest... lol... it's my worst bodypart, IMO...

i'm ok with my hammies... it's all about presentation there... i still have about 9 weeks until i start my cut... hopefully i can keep gaining on my progression and even if i can add another half pound to a pound of muscle in that 9 weeks i'm cool with that...

should just hit the sauce and gain like 6 over the next 9 weeks... lol...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
02/23/13 04:05 PM

Took today and tomorrow off from the gym... body is getting beat the fuck up and need a little break...

back in the gym monday for a grueling week, then have a full deload week, before i smash out these last 6 weeks before i start my prep...

plans for this week are a bunch of PR's...

390x2 squat
465x2 deadlift
280x2 bench
190x2 ohp

back and forth between 211-212 all this week...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
02/24/13 01:27 PM

was over 213 this morning, but took another piss and was back down to 212.7... lol

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
02/27/13 07:58 PM

fucking battling an abdominal strain since last Friday... really fucked my workout on Monday, and again today...

i managed to hit a PR on the bench of 280, but rest of the workout was lackluster...

in the words of Kenny Rodgers, "gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em"...

looks like i'll be taking the next several days off to rest this shit otherwise it's going to be a thorn in my side (no pun intended) for the foreseeable future... \:\(

FUCK...!

98V-TeC
(Post Master Supreme)
02/27/13 08:33 PM

Shit blows. I know the feeling. I think I'm dealing with bursitis in my shoulder. It hasn't been right in over 2 weeks. I can't do anything heavy for back, chest, or shoulders, just fucking around with lower body and accessory shit. I'm getting BORED!

How did you strain it? Squats?

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
02/27/13 08:50 PM

no i must have done it doing deadlifts, cause i felt good all last week (aside from just everything really starting to feel "heavy"), and hit a PR on deads of 455 and then got hero balls and tried for 475... it didn't go, but i didn't even get it off the floor, must have done it then, but didn't feel shit until sometime late the next day...

98V-TeC
(Post Master Supreme)
02/27/13 09:17 PM

lol that's exactly how I was with my shoulder. Zero pain while working out. I woke up the next morning and it felt like I pitched 9 innings.

(Post Master Supreme)
02/28/13 12:28 AM

I think they call that a murph... and I have no idea why. And not the underwear stuck in your ass kind.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/16/13 06:11 PM

Basically bagged the last 2 weeks due to an ab strain and then got sick late last week... Did a deload protocol this week and planning to get back on the horse Monday as well as back on my macros...

(Post Master Supreme)
03/17/13 12:03 AM

no wonder you've been real mean. haha, pent up carb rage.

FireInTheWhole
(Post Master Supreme)
03/17/13 12:34 PM

Same form with 135, 225... It's low enough to promote growth and that's all I'm concerned with at this point... Maybe after I compete ill look into some powerlifting shows and will try and correct my mobility enough to reach proper depth... Until then... Ehhh...

But thanks for props brah... I'm trying to catch up to your tree trunks... ;-)

Dude, I think you've surpassed my legs. I don't squat nearly as much as you do anymore, and your legs look bigger than mine when I look in a mirror. I don't knw what it is but I always think my legs look small. I have a barrel chest, so it might just be the relative size compared to my rib cage, but I dunno. Just saw Waynes post about your hips- I forgot you were bionic.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/29/13 08:56 AM

About 4 weeks left until I start my prep which I am looking forward too, cause I'm tired of being a fatty...

Guys I know have been dropping out of shows at an alarming rate... Contest prep is not for the faint of heart, and hope I can make it to the finish line... It's those last 8-10 weeks that seem to break you down and crush your spirit...

98V-TeC
(Post Master Supreme)
03/29/13 09:39 AM

lol, my friends go mental about 8 weeks out. They turn into moody divas.

Do you have someone helping along the way? How will you go about drying out? Clen? Prep H all over?

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/29/13 09:46 AM

I have a guy handling my prep... There will be no drugs nor any voodoo bro shit along the way...

I imagine ill be unbearable cause I'm already a moody cunt... Lol

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
04/08/13 11:42 AM

Went to Snap City yesterday while dead lifting... 420x3, hit first 2 and then in the decent, something in low back pizzopped... Ugh

Just gonna work around it this week and see how it goes... Managed a decent chest and bis session this morning...

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
04/08/13 11:43 AM

Average weigh in this last week was 214.8...

Diet starts in 3 weeks...

(Post Master Supreme)
04/08/13 11:59 AM

well hope your faggot back is okay Cory! haha, squats you can have a depth pass all day, but deadlifts with shit form scare the crap out of me. Probably only why I barely made it to 451 after everyone else surpassed me into the 480-500 range. I'm not down with fucking my back up for bragging rights.

98V-TeC
(Post Master Supreme)
04/08/13 12:35 PM

Average weigh in this last week was 214.8...

Diet starts in 3 weeks...

Will you be logging everything on here? Contest prep? Posing?

Enjoy the Protan!

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
04/08/13 01:39 PM

Dream tan... ;\)