ScottStaypuff
(Post Master Supreme)
11/11/12 10:43 PM
Is less really more? (transmission talk)

I'll admit, up until a few days ago I didn't know what a Powerglide was really was, other than they were popular with the drag racing crowd.

As I work on my Neon I'm planning out my Maverick build which will include a turbo LS (goal of ~600hp +/-). I've been eyeballing the "Pro Street" C4 by Performance Automatic which seems like it would get the job done and fit like stock (because the car has a c4 currently herp derp). It can be made to work with an off the shelf adapter bellhousing and a custom torque converter. Its $1800 but rated at 750hp and has a lifetime warranty. (Building my own c4 myself is also an option to save some dough)

But recently I was eyeballing the th400 which would work great but is huge, then the th350 which doesn't seem to be any stronger than a c4 and finally the Powerglide. It seems like guys with big power are making them work and they are fairly streetable, maybe I'd keep the rear end gears around a 3.20. You lose a gear but gain about 10whp across the board vs the c4. And even if the c4 has a warranty, it'll still be a huge pita if it breaks. I think most would say a well built PG would be stronger. If anything the PG is smaller too. WWCSI do?

UglyValiant
(Post Master Sr)
11/12/12 01:06 PM
Re: Is less really more? (transmission talk)

For the purposes of pure drag racing, sure...

scootergeek
(Post Master Supreme)
11/12/12 04:28 PM

T56

ScottStaypuff
(Post Master Supreme)
11/12/12 07:12 PM

Scott, I have the Neon(s) I wanna row gears. \:\) I kinda like the idea of the auto for the Mav, in fact the PA "Pro Street" is still fully auto even though it handles 750hp (probably why its $500/more than the fully manual version) I do want to do a lot street driving, supposedly guys are doing just fine with PG's but maybe I should just stick with the C4 (KISS). Keeping the shifter on the column will help keep a sleeper status too, bonus. I'll waiver 5 times until I have it put together. lol

scootergeek
(Post Master Supreme)
11/12/12 07:21 PM

I guess.

But it'd be cool as hell to throw a 6 speed in it.

ScottStaypuff
(Post Master Supreme)
11/12/12 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: cousin Scott
I guess.

But it'd be cool as hell to throw a 6 speed in it.

I totally agree. I'll give it some thought.

stickaz_old
(Post Master Supreme)
11/14/12 06:45 PM

problem with the 'glide is you throw streetability out the window and off the cliff

ScottStaypuff
(Post Master Supreme)
11/14/12 06:53 PM

I think I'm sticking with the c4 (maybe a chevy 3 speed). Denmah had pretty awesome results with a 3 speed and granny gears, hope my imitation flatters him!

denham
(Post Master Supreme)
11/14/12 07:09 PM

powerglides are beasts

**DONOTDELETE**
()
11/17/12 08:17 PM

I don't see the benefit of keeping a C4 behind ellis other than it's a ford trans in a ford car. For simplicity I would think a GM glide, three speed, or 4L80E would be better suited for ellis. I picked up a 4L80E for $700 from a junk yard, pulled and put on my trailer by the yard.