lunchbox
(Post Master Supreme)
10/16/13 04:39 PM
Shooting human action (trail running) advice wanted

I am going into the woods this weekend (weather permitting) with my wife to shoot some shots of her trail running. These will be staged shots, not event photography, so I will have lots of flexibility. I am going to be using my simple Fuji X10 and will have a speedlight strobe with shoot through/bounce umbrella.

I really loved chefs photo's from the cyclocross event and want to go for a similar "gritty look"

these are the photos I have been looking at for inspiration:

I am thinking shoot the tough triangle of wide angle/fast shutter/skinny aperture. I want to freeze the motion and see the environment. So crank up the iso a bit a lean on my strobe to light my wife.

any tips or should of could of would of's from previous shoots I should know about?

Sir Salty A F
(Post Master Supreme)
10/16/13 05:02 PM
Re: Shooting human action (trail running) advice wanted

Originally Posted By: lunchbox

I am thinking shoot the tough triangle of wide angle/fast shutter/skinny aperture. I want to freeze the motion and see the environment. So crank up the iso a bit a lean on my strobe to light my wife.

if you want to get this picture you're not going to want to shoot wide open/shallow DOF/"skinny aperture". i'd say mediumish ISO, no smaller (greater) than f5.6 (i'd personally do f11), maybe like 1/160 (just a total guess, depending on lighting, to freeze the action). your strobe will def help with a fast shutter and f11. it's going to be a bit of trial and error to get the exposure right.

lunchbox
(Post Master Supreme)
10/16/13 05:20 PM

hmmm, maybe I am using the term wrong... When I said "skinny aperture" I meant high Fstop, like F8 or F11. Is the correct definition of "skinny" a more open aperture like f2 of f2.8?

But, as far as the look I want, yep, that picture is what I am going for for sure. Minus the mountains \:\( But we should have beautiful color in the leaves.

Sir Salty A F
(Post Master Supreme)
10/16/13 05:20 PM

gotcha. well, to be fair i've never heard the term skinny aperture so i just figured it was a skinny focal plane lol.

Huggy
(Post Master Supreme)
10/16/13 08:52 PM

Here's a friend's (ex co-worker) website. I believe he has some tutorials as well. I think he left my work about 6 years ago to solely do his photography.

http://ricklohre.com/blog/portfolio/

Not sure if it will help you or not, but I pass his page on along in hopes it can.

chef
(Post Master Supreme)
10/17/13 04:57 PM

These are the type of shots I want to add to my portfolio too. I've been mostly unsuccessful at races, need to work on this

lunchbox
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/13 02:17 PM

I found a video on youtube showing this picture:

I linked to the important stuff, the beginning is just them driving to the location. They don't talk specifics, but you can at least see the shoot.

http://youtu.be/XP1ZBPLGvro

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
01/22/16 08:15 AM

Someone HDR'd the fuck out of that.

tylerdurden
(Post Master Supreme)
01/22/16 11:49 AM

I was honestly surprised to find out the runner in that shot wasn't composited in.

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
01/22/16 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: tylerdurden
I was honestly surprised to find out the runner in that shot wasn't composited in.

Same here.

2000CheetahStud
(Post Master Supreme)
06/22/16 07:05 PM

lol fuck you