Voltron
(Post Master Supreme)
01/03/13 11:06 AM
Picked up a new gig

Across the street from where I live is the ball field for the George Washington University baseball team. I emailed one of the liaisons for GWU to see if I could take pictures for them in exchange for field access/media credentials. I got an email back today from the liaison saying that I'm confirmed! I'm so stoked!! I'm hoping that getting some NCAA sports in my portfolio will help me move up to the big leagues (MLB, NFL, etc). Now I have to work my angle to get Georgetown lacrosse; my neighbor is friends with the head coach, who also lives in my neighborhood. Sweet!

Lafora
(Post Master Sr)
01/03/13 07:40 PM
Re: Picked up a new gig

taking pictures for them in exchange for credentials?

so where's the pay in this?

I don't want to sound harsh, but why the FUCK would anyone want to take pics in exchange for "credentials" is beyond my understanding.

chef
(Post Master Supreme)
01/03/13 07:47 PM

Pay is access. I did the same at the dirt track. Got some shots for my portfolio that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Maybe you wanted him to answer that though...

Voltron
(Post Master Supreme)
01/03/13 08:00 PM

Exactly, pay is access for shots I wouldn't have had otherwise. According to the website they only give out access to people who work for a publication. I'm bartering my pics for access that I probably wouldn't otherwise get. I'm trying to get the experience and turn this into something. Besides, the ball field is literally across the street from my place, so it's not like it's out of the way or inconvenient. Hopefully I can make something out of this that I can send out and maybe get a paying, credentialed job with the Nationals or something. The Capitals hockey would be really cool too.

Bigggggant
(Post Master Sr)
01/03/13 08:11 PM

Congrats

Voltron
(Post Master Supreme)
01/03/13 08:46 PM

thanks

Lafora
(Post Master Sr)
01/03/13 10:25 PM

As someone who's had experience with this type of stuff, I hate to break it to you; access isn't payment. Doesn't matter how you want to spin it.

If you want access that'll lead to something, shoot spec. Shooting purely for access isn't exactly the best practice (not financially; but photographically)

Have fun at the ball games.

Voltron
(Post Master Supreme)
01/04/13 11:19 AM

oh, I shall have fun. Not like I'm committed to shoot all of them anyway, I just want to shoot a few.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
01/04/13 11:24 AM

I'm with Lafora on this one. Access is great, but the novelty runs out fast when you're not making any money.

Voltron
(Post Master Supreme)
01/04/13 11:44 AM

meh, not everything is about making money

chef
(Post Master Supreme)
01/04/13 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Lafora
As someone who's had experience with this type of stuff, I hate to break it to you; access isn't payment. Doesn't matter how you want to spin it.

If you want access that'll lead to something, shoot spec. Shooting purely for access isn't exactly the best practice (not financially; but photographically)

Have fun at the ball games.

How do you get hired for a fashion shoot if you have no fashion images in your portfolio? I wouldn't expect to shoot for access forever, but in the beginning you've got to have something that shows you can do what you're trying to get paid to do, no?

Simon_the_Pieman
(Post Master Sr)
01/06/13 08:17 PM

congrats bud.
you gotta start somewhere right? i see no wrong in that.