SuPeR-MaRiO
(Post Master Sr)
03/31/20 03:06 PM
In the market for a 911?

This looks like a good buy. 2001 Carrera 4 - 6spd - 67k kms - $25k

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/porsche/911/north%20york/ontario/5_46808061_20180927170031173

As the title states, "In great shape"!!! it may have had a bumper resprayed

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
03/31/20 03:44 PM
Re: In the market for a 911?

Narrowbody 996 no bueno.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
03/31/20 03:45 PM

Clicked.

Oh.

SuPeR-MaRiO
(Post Master Sr)
03/31/20 04:29 PM

Warning, Spoiler:
06/25/2004 Ontario, Canada Accident reported Involving right front impact Moderate damage reported
06/07/2005 Ontario, Canada Accident reported Involving front impact Light damage reported
04/26/2006 Ontario, Canada Accident reported Involving right rear impact Severe damage reported
12/15/2006 Ontario, Canada Accident reported Involving right front impact It hit a curb Rear center damage reported Moderate damage reported
01/26/2011 Ontario, Canada Accident reported Involving left side impact Light damage
02/13/2013 Ontario, Canada Accident reported Involving right front impact Vehicle was not damaged

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
03/31/20 04:38 PM

Driven by Stevie Wonder?

SuPeR-MaRiO
(Post Master Sr)
03/31/20 04:50 PM

Seems like it ... but wait, he's not really blind.

c2k
(Post Master Supreme)
04/01/20 09:11 AM

why does carfax canada suck so much compared to the US counterpart?

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
04/01/20 08:12 PM

Do these ones have the IMS issues?

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
04/01/20 11:38 PM

Yes. IMS issues were gone after 997.2. Only other 911’s during that era were without IMS issues were the mezger engines found in the turbo and GT3.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
04/02/20 06:13 AM

^ what he said.

The car above has the M.96-M97 variant engine, which is a complete piece of shit (as is the car). You are looking at 15k for a used one which will also fail or 25k for a rebuild which will also fail eventually.

Only option is 997.2 C2S or up from there.

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
04/02/20 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Risky Business

No 997.1 Turbo?

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
04/02/20 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: 87ZCSi

No 997.1 Turbo?

No 997.1 GT3?

Raocorp
(Post Master Sr)
04/02/20 12:30 PM

^ what he said.

The car above has the M.96-M97 variant engine, which is a complete piece of shit (as is the car). You are looking at 15k for a used one which will also fail or 25k for a rebuild which will also fail eventually.

Can't the IMS bearing be done by someone handy with vehicle repairs? I get that the transmission needs to come out and that its many hours of labour, but I can't imagine it being so difficult of a job that a handy individual with decent tools can't tackle this job over the course of a few days. I'd also assume a vehicle such as this would not be the owners DD which reduces the stress/workload of allowing it to take longer to complete the job.

Being married/having kids likely reduces the number of those being able to do such a job LOL.

IMO a lot of mechanic work is remove and replace. Nothing in that is SO complicated that anyone with half a brain can do it. Yes, obviously tools are important. So if you're a genius but you need to buy $2k in tools to do this job then better off having it done. The other half of mechanic work (which most mechanics don't do nowadays) is troubleshooting. Knowing what parts make certain noises and such. Good mechanics (mostly of yester year) can do that. Today's "technicians" plug the car in, read a code and then proceed to remove said part.

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
04/02/20 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Hatorade
 Originally Posted By: 87ZCSi

No 997.1 Turbo?

No 997.1 GT3?

Right, whoops! It's off my radar for no backseat. Kiddo is about to turn forward facing and don't want to eliminate this use case.

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
04/02/20 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Raocorp
^ what he said.

Can't the IMS bearing be done by someone handy with vehicle repairs? I get that the transmission needs to come out and that its many hours of labour, but I can't imagine it being so difficult of a job that a handy individual with decent tools can't tackle this job over the course of a few days. I'd also assume a vehicle such as this would not be the owners DD which reduces the stress/workload of allowing it to take longer to complete the job.

Being married/having kids likely reduces the number of those being able to do such a job LOL.

IMO a lot of mechanic work is remove and replace. Nothing in that is SO complicated that anyone with half a brain can do it. Yes, obviously tools are important. So if you're a genius but you need to buy $2k in tools to do this job then better off having it done. The other half of mechanic work (which most mechanics don't do nowadays) is troubleshooting. Knowing what parts make certain noises and such. Good mechanics (mostly of yester year) can do that. Today's "technicians" plug the car in, read a code and then proceed to remove said part.

I agree with all of this. I also did rod bearings in my M3 alone in my garage, I figure they're likely similar in terms of effort etc. I wouldn't shy away from this work on a Porsche myself other than I just so happen to have no interest in any of the cars affected.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
04/02/20 05:07 PM

You just need to know which IMS version you have. Early 997 could be swapped outside the motor with the transmission off. Later ones requires a motor disassembly lol

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
04/02/20 07:13 PM

eh can't be that hard to drop a engine out of a porsche

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
04/03/20 05:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Raocorp
^ what he said.

I agree with your logic, but Porsche is different because the engines are not easy to work on, they are actually a major pain in the ass and parts are very expensive. Couple that with information being hoarded by Porsche so the technical resources on clearances, tolerances, etc on something as complicated as an engine rebuild form the ground up are hard to find.

Replacing the IMS isn't the issue, it's the dice you roll with the potential damage that could've already been caused prior to replacing it. It's not a binary problem, fix this, it will fix that. It was a shitty design, hence why when they moved to DFI engines they reduced the components of the motor by 40% apparently making it much more simpler and reliable.

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
04/03/20 07:57 PM

From what I recall, 2007 and up, generally you are in the clear.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
04/03/20 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: A2B-Lexus
From what I recall, 2007 and up, generally you are in the clear.

Not really, it’s still a crap shoot. Less likely for IMS failure, but still happens. And then there’s the DFI motors in the 997.2 that are prone to bore scoring LMFAOOOOOOOO

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
04/03/20 08:58 PM

Screw it. Buy a couple of watches and grab an used Fiat 500 Abarth and toss that around until it breaks.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
04/03/20 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: A2B-Lexus
Screw it. Buy a couple of watches and grab an used Fiat 500 Abarth and toss that around until it breaks.

Just need to buy a turbo or GT2 or GT3 :P

What watch you want now LOL

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
04/03/20 10:07 PM

Nothing really....just speaking in hypothetical. Dropped most of my cash in the house anyway. Will be a couple of years before any new toys.....gotta get pass C19 before I can yolo it.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
04/03/20 10:16 PM

C19 is the wake up call!!!

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
04/03/20 10:28 PM

Had I known, would have got the SQ5....dealerships are probably happen to reduce inventory to reduce their interest payments.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
04/04/20 01:58 PM

Yup I'm sure there will be deals now. Car sales are in the shitter huge currently.

c2k
(Post Master Supreme)
04/05/20 10:53 AM

more than 15-20 years ago, we were talking about doing motor swaps in the civics.

today, here we are - talking about getting a Porsche.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
04/05/20 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: c2k
more than 15-20 years ago, we were talking about doing motor swaps in the civics.

Is that not a good thing?

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
04/05/20 08:00 PM

I wish I kept my EP3. $3500 for a 100k 15 year old manual car with no rust and working AC.

SuPeR-MaRiO
(Post Master Sr)
04/06/20 09:52 AM

Typically a thread is started on a serious note and goes sideways. In this case, the thread started off as a joke and became serious \:\|

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
04/06/20 10:57 AM

LOL well I own one so I took this serious :P

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
04/06/20 07:58 PM

I wanted one so I chimed in. lol

Raocorp
(Post Master Sr)
04/08/20 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: c2k

LOL true say.... Don't we have a lawn "detail" thread somewhere too?!

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
04/08/20 10:26 PM

i am paying someone to do my lawn now.....145 deep lot.....I don't want to be doing yard work all day. \:D

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
04/11/20 10:34 AM

I need to buy a ride on mower.

c2k
(Post Master Supreme)
04/11/20 11:10 AM

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
I need to buy a ride on mower.

did ya buy a farm?