free smart thermostat?

http://www.greenon.ca

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/...ew-program.html

Scam? lol

SuPeR-MaRiO
(Post Master Sr)
08/30/17 01:53 PM
Re: free smart thermostat?

Ya, I heard about it on the radio this morning. I don't think its a scam, but who knows what the intent behind it is and how many people will actually get one.

Big Tasty
(Post Master Supreme)
08/30/17 01:56 PM

Hmmm, will give it a shot.

SuPeR-MaRiO
(Post Master Sr)
08/30/17 02:00 PM

Registration went as I should have expected it to. Tried more than once with different browsers \:\(

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
08/30/17 02:04 PM

Nothing is free in this world.

"If you can't identify the commodity, you are the commodity."

Big Tasty
(Post Master Supreme)
08/30/17 02:05 PM

I got through, system is slow as balls though.

This seems too good to be true: https://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=7e00643063fe7410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

HELP allows you to avoid the large upfront cost of home energy improvements and pay for them over time. You could be eligible to receive up to $75,000 for your property.

2. HELP financing is attached to the property, not to the property owner. If you sell the property before the loan is repaid, the new owner will assume the balance of the loan and continue to repay it through the property tax bill.

3. You may pay off your HELP loan at any time, without penalty.

4. You'll benefit from low interest rates and longer repayment terms, compared to conventional financing.

5. You can take advantage of incentives to reduce the cost of your projects. An incentive of up to $650 is available from Toronto Hydro for replacing your furnace and air conditioner with high efficiency units. An incentive of up to $1,600 is also available from the Home Energy Conservation (HEC) Program to qualified homeowners.

Please contact the HELP team for more information at homeenergyloan@toronto.ca or 416-392-1826.

The process begins by completing an online application form. Once the required documentation has been submitted and the application has been approved, the homeowner will enter into an agreement with the City to undertake qualifying energy efficiency and water conservation improvements, based on the results of a home energy assessment.

The maximum funding available is up to $75,000.

The City will impose a charge, which will include the cost of the improvements, interest, and an administrative fee - on the participating property.

The homeowner will then repay the loan over a defined term (5, 10, or 15 years).

The payment obligation will be attached to the property, not the owner, and is secured by the City’s priority lien. If a property changes ownership, the new owner would assume the financial obligation and continue to make payments to the City until the special charge is fully paid.

The loan may be repaid at any time, without penalty.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
08/30/17 02:47 PM

Already 300 posts on RFD about this \:D

Big Tasty
(Post Master Supreme)
08/30/17 02:53 PM

Nice

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
08/30/17 03:55 PM

will try

civic13
(Post Master)
08/30/17 07:52 PM

Just registered for this after seeing it on the news.

Out of ecobee and honeywell which one is better?

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
08/31/17 12:27 AM

Ecobee

Just signed up while in Maui... free shit is free shit lol

furball
(Post Master Sr)
08/31/17 08:53 AM

FWIW, Nest just came out with the Nest E, $100 cheaper than Nest...

https://nest.com/ca/thermostats/compare/

c2k
(Post Master Supreme)
08/31/17 10:55 AM

Originally Posted By: furball
FWIW, Nest just came out with the Nest E, $100 cheaper than Nest...

https://nest.com/ca/thermostats/compare/

what's the difference??? aside from the price saving to get a handy at the massage polar.

furball
(Post Master Sr)
08/31/17 11:09 AM

Looks like they saved money by removing purdy LCD screen...

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
09/02/17 10:33 AM

Signed up. 2018 until they come.......free is free.

CIVIC dude
(Post Master Supreme)
09/02/17 04:36 PM

Has anyone read the fine print for this?

Does getting this free thermostat allow them to control your thermostat during peak usage times?

Seems to good to be true .... need more info!

Big Tasty
(Post Master Supreme)
09/02/17 04:45 PM

From what I read on rfd, they have no access to control the unit.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
09/02/17 05:43 PM

That would suck as I like to stay at the top 10% for usage in my area lol

CIVIC dude
(Post Master Supreme)
09/02/17 09:30 PM

You agree to participate in any follow up surveys, studies, audits, evaluations or verifications conducted by IESO or Ontario Climate Change Solutions Deployment Corporation (“Green Ontario Fund”) and/or their respective agents in connection with the Program, including for the purpose of proper administration, monitoring and verification of your application or evaluation of the Program, and will provide to IESO and Green Ontario Fund reasonable access to the Property for such purposes.

Wildout
(Post Master Jr)
09/05/17 08:34 PM

I signed up just to piss of Wayne lol

Big Tasty
(Post Master Supreme)
10/17/17 09:52 AM

Anyone get a call back on this yet?

SuPeR-MaRiO
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/17 02:43 PM

Just got an email from them. Basically:

Quote:
When you are contacted will depend on when you submitted your application and the availability of installers in your area. You may hear from us as early as within a few weeks, or it might take a few more months. This program is very popular, so we thank you for your patience.

I also need to decide between:

ecobee3 lite
Honeywell Lyric™ T6
Nest Thermostat E

Beats me

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/17 03:46 PM

Nest or ecobee

I've got a first Gen nest so getting a free newer one FTW. I got the same email as well.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/17 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO
Just got an email from them. Basically:

Quote:
When you are contacted will depend on when you submitted your application and the availability of installers in your area. You may hear from us as early as within a few weeks, or it might take a few more months. This program is very popular, so we thank you for your patience.

I also need to decide between:

ecobee3 lite
Honeywell Lyric™ T6
Nest Thermostat E

Beats me

I got the email as well...so basically decide on one and wait for their call.

https://www.ecobee.com/ecobee3-lite/?utm...0-48255-288852-

https://getconnected.honeywell.com/en/ly...0-48255-288852-

https://nest.com/ca/thermostats/nest-the...0-48255-288852-

ok csi high end lavish only buy the best shit...which unit do we choose??

spd-dmn
(Post Master)
10/19/17 05:51 AM

Looks like these are the cheaper units of each brand... i dunno which to choose. Leaning toward nest e.

c2k
(Post Master Supreme)
10/19/17 12:43 PM

ecobee 3 lite is without the sensors and you can buy to add the sensors. No?

Denis Si
(Post Master)
10/19/17 12:48 PM

I thought CSI was all ballers?

Giving away all your personal info for 300$ lol

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
10/19/17 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Denis Si
I thought CSI was all ballers?

Giving away all your personal info for 300$ lol

Cheap gotta cheap yo

SuPeR-MaRiO
(Post Master Sr)
12/08/17 02:32 PM

Just got a phone call from "GreenOn". That's how it will appear on your phone so don't ignore it thinking its spam, I almost did.

They had appointments available tomorrow (Saturday) and all next week. I figured they would be booking a few months out.

They only have a white (circular) Nest and a black (squarish) Ecobee. Not knowing anything about either product I went with the Nest as I don't want a black eyesore on the wall.

Big Tasty
(Post Master Supreme)
12/08/17 04:27 PM

Damn, I ignored a call that came in this afternoon. What's the number that showed up for them?

SuPeR-MaRiO
(Post Master Sr)
12/08/17 04:48 PM

1-888-618-4611

Big Tasty
(Post Master Supreme)
12/08/17 05:07 PM

ok, not the same number...thx

SuPeR-MaRiO
(Post Master Sr)
12/09/17 08:32 AM

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to not give Big Brother the opportunity to spy on me. A smart thermostat is a novelty I would never pay for. It just doesn't appeal enough for me to pay money for one. The only reason I signed up was to get it for free. But if that allows them "into my home" whenever they choose, then yea, perhaps not.

civic13
(Post Master)
12/09/17 09:11 AM

Just curious in how "they" would gain access?

Would this also apply to any smart thermostat installed diy or contractor?

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
12/09/17 10:32 AM

They sell tin foil hats too.

A thermostat is the least of your worries. Better ditch that smart phone and never use a computer again.

Wildout
(Post Master Jr)
12/09/17 06:55 PM

If you're worried about big brother should have went with the Ecobee

CIVIC dude
(Post Master Supreme)
01/05/18 09:39 PM

Anyone read the terms for this program:

3. The Participant confirms that they have not removed (or have not permitted the removal of) the thermostat currently in use at the Property at the time of submitting the Participant’s Program application, and Participant agrees not to remove (or permit the removal) of the thermostat currently in use at the Property prior to the in-home installation.

Hmm that's odd. But wait there's more....

4. The Participant acknowledges and agrees that all right, title and interest in and to all benefits or entitlements associated with decreased environmental impacts now or in the future, direct or indirect, arising as a result of, relating to or in connection with the electricity savings or demand savings for which the Thermostats or other energy efficient devices and products have been provided, and the right to quantify and register these, including without limitation, any energy efficiency certificate, renewable energy certificate, credit, reduction right, offset, allocated pollution
right, and emission reduction allowance (collectively, the “Environmental Attributes”) are hereby transferred and assigned, or to the extent transfer or assignment is not permitted, held in trust in favour of Green Ontario Fund. Green Ontario Fund shall be entitled, unilaterally and without the Participant’s consent to deal with such Environmental Attributes in any manner it determines. The Participant further acknowledges and agrees that Green Ontario Fund may direct the Participant to take such actions and do all such things necessary to certify, obtain, qualify and register with the relevant authorities or agencies such Environmental Attributes for the purpose of transferring, assigning, or holding in trust, such Environmental Attributes to and for Green Ontario Fund. The Participant shall comply with any such directions, and will be entitled to reimbursement of the cost of complying with such direction, provided that Green Ontario Fund, acting reasonably, has approved such cost in writing prior to the cost being incurred by the Participant. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Participant may market, report and publish the environmental benefits and savings results associated with participation in the Program.

SuPeR-MaRiO
(Post Master Sr)
01/05/18 10:08 PM

#3 You actually have to relinquish your thermostat to them when they install the new one as part of the program. This is their way of preventing people from reselling the new thermostats

#4 Cliff Notes?

CIVIC dude
(Post Master Supreme)
01/05/18 10:17 PM

#3 is you need to have the same thermostat at install vs the time you applied for this program. So if you have a decent thermostat now you change it for a really cheap one that will be taken away at install time.

#4 basically any savings as a result of your new thermostat or energy upgrades will be signed over to the green ontario fund company.

No thanks.....this shit is getting complicated.

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
01/05/18 10:19 PM

Damn....that's a mouthful and a half. What the F is it saying?

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
01/05/18 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: CIVIC dude
#3 is you need to have the same thermostat at install vs the time you applied for this program. So if you have a decent thermostat now you change it for a really cheap one that will be taken away at install time.

#4 basically any savings as a result of your new thermostat or energy upgrades will be signed over to the green ontario fund company.

The $100ish for the smart thermostat isn't worth signing all the savings away.

The Postman
(Post Master Sr)
01/05/18 11:10 PM

Meh, I had me Ecobee installed this week lol.

loudsubz
(Post Master Supreme)
01/06/18 07:43 AM

Originally Posted By: CIVIC dude

#3 does that mean any government incentive in the future or just those through the green on program?

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/06/18 09:22 AM

Does everyone here understand that you won't save any money switching to these thermostats compared to a regular one?

It's a piece of novelty on your wall.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
01/06/18 09:39 AM

Yup I just did it for ease of programming.

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
01/06/18 10:39 AM

I did it to keep up with with Hatorade.

loudsubz
(Post Master Supreme)
01/06/18 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
Does everyone here understand that you won't save any money switching to these thermostats compared to a regular one?

Well I'd like to see a study that shows you don't save any money compared to a regular programmable one. If you have your programmable one locked down pretty good with a schedule and you are bang on with the schedule I don't see much of a savings but the smart feature to not have the home up to regular temps when you're not ther would definitely be a benefit, something a regular programmable one wont do automatically.

I feel you're talking about ROI then yes it would probably take a while to break even but with this program it's a no brainer as long as that terms and conditions is clarified a bit

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
01/06/18 10:51 AM

True. My programmable one is programmed weekly and our routine doesn’t change. After the wall bling, it’s probably going to be programmed the same as it is now.

SW20_MR2
(Post Master Sr)
01/06/18 11:18 AM

I did the Ecobee for pure convenience. My wife normally works from home, but she goes to the office twice a week (different days each week). I set the unit to be "away" during 9-5 M-F, but the sensors detect when she's home and automatically set it to "home" as long as it detects that someone is in the house. That feature alone is worth the cost of the unit. I couldn't care less if I get energy savings from it.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/06/18 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By: loudsubz

Well I'd like to see a study that shows you don't save any money compared to a regular programmable one. If you have your programmable one locked down pretty good with a schedule and you are bang on with the schedule I don't see much of a savings but the smart feature to not have the home up to regular temps when you're not ther would definitely be a benefit, something a regular programmable one wont do automatically.

I feel you're talking about ROI then yes it would probably take a while to break even but with this program it's a no brainer as long as that terms and conditions is clarified a bit

What you are describing equates to literally pennies over a year and because there are so many variables at play (outside temp being the biggest one) there is no good prior data for any sort of baseline.

Like i said, it's just a novelty item. From a value add POV these things have zero relative to an ordinary thermostat. The only redeeming feature is the data aggregation which allows better understanding of usage, but it doesn't change a damn thing otherwise.

loudsubz
(Post Master Supreme)
01/06/18 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: loudsubz

What you are describing equates to literally pennies over a year and because there are so many variables at play (outside temp being the biggest one) there is no good prior data for any sort of baseline.

Like i said, it's just a novelty item. From a value add POV these things have zero relative to an ordinary thermostat. The only redeeming feature is the data aggregation which allows better understanding of usage, but it doesn't change a damn thing otherwise.

Can you link me to some articles that show that smart thermostats don't save any money at all?

Everything I read shows some savings, maybe not as much for those going from programmable to a smart unit VS those going from a traditional set once basic unit.

If you can show me some data that shows it only saves pennies a year I may change my mind \:\)

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
01/06/18 12:22 PM

I like collecting leafs to show how green I am. Dat carbon footprint!

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
01/06/18 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
I did it to keep up with with Hatorade.

LOL bet you can't keep up with my usage!

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
01/06/18 12:32 PM

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/06/18 12:35 PM

We should start with an article quantifying the savings and work backwards from there with the assumptions, most articles make the assumption that programmable thermostats aren't set to lower the temp automatically M-F when everyone is away...so of course it will skew the results.

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
01/06/18 12:51 PM

My house is a 17 degrees when I am not at home. 20 - 21 when I am. Smart thermostat won't change that much. When we get home, it goes to 20 pretty quickly. /small house problems.

The Postman
(Post Master Sr)
01/06/18 04:19 PM

Wife can change the temps from an app on her phone. Mission accomplished. And it does look cool too.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
01/06/18 10:50 PM

got the email and did the process. waiting for call.

Big Tasty
(Post Master Supreme)
01/07/18 12:54 PM

Same, waiting on the call to schedule install date.

spd-dmn
(Post Master)
01/07/18 06:21 PM

The big benefit to me is wi-fi connectivity.

I can pre-set it to 17 when away from home, but if I know someone will be home early, or home during the whole day, I can override it from my phone.

The convenience/comfort is worth it to me more than whatever savings... since I have an "eco" schedule already pre-set with a programmable I'm sure the savings won't be much.

All bout dat pre-heat life

SuPeR-MaRiO
(Post Master Sr)
01/07/18 09:40 PM

I had my Nest installed last week. I didn't do it for any savings as I acknowledge there wont' be any considering I don't use a schedule. We just leave it at a constant temperature. Maybe that will change. Its a tech gadget/novelty that I would not pay for so I figured I'd take advantage of the promo.

To those who set their homes to 17* when they're away, that seems awfully cold to me. In fact one day I had accidentally turned off the furnace (bumped the switch) and the temp went down to 17.5* and the house was FREEZING. I figure the energy required to bring it up to at least 21* would counter any savings.

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
01/07/18 10:15 PM

https://www.directenergy.com/learning-ce...settings-winter

Quote:
We do have general recommendations for winter thermostat settings:
If someone is at home in the daytime, 72° F (22° C) is a good start, but aim for 68° F (20° C).
If everyone is away from home in the daytime, or you're asleep at night, we feel 66° F (19° C) to 62° F (17° C) is best.

My 5 yr old townhouse is 1800 sq ft and the temperature comes up pretty quick. For the baller Csi guys with bigger houses, I can see how dropping to 17 would take a while / use a lot of energy to bring temperature back up.

Wildout
(Post Master Jr)
01/08/18 04:41 AM

I got the email, have to fill it out still. Hoping to grab the ecobee & then give my current thermostat to my mom.

SuPeR-MaRiO
(Post Master Sr)
01/08/18 10:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Wildout
I got the email, have to fill it out still. Hoping to grab the ecobee & then give my current thermostat to my mom.

If that's your plan, switch out your mom's thermostat with yours before they arrive for the installation. You have to relinquish your thermostat to them when they install the new one as part of the program. This is their way of preventing people from reselling the new thermostats.

c2k
(Post Master Supreme)
01/08/18 01:24 PM

If that's your plan, switch out your mom's thermostat with yours before they arrive for the installation. You have to relinquish your thermostat to them when they install the new one as part of the program. This is their way of preventing people from reselling the new thermostats.

Shit, thanks for sharing that info.

Wildout
(Post Master Jr)
01/09/18 03:29 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll grab the one the builder installed from the basement when they come

SuPeR-MaRiO
(Post Master Sr)
01/09/18 06:45 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll grab the one the builder installed from the basement when they come

Make sure you install the builder's thermostat before they arrive. You can't just hand them it in place of the one on your wall.

Big Tasty
(Post Master Supreme)
01/11/18 04:36 PM

Just got mine installed. I called their 1-888 number yesterday cause it's been awhile since i got their email with no further action (and i was bored at work). They were quite nice on the phone and booked an appointment for me today between 4-8, guys came at 4 and set everything up. They asked a few questions about other things I would update in the future and also age of appliances.

All done in about 30 mins.

civic13
(Post Master)
02/05/18 06:24 PM

Got a message to call to make an appointment. On their website it says that they will need access to certain areas of the home and that it will take 2hrs. Did any of the installers go around your homes checking things?

The Postman
(Post Master Sr)
02/05/18 09:12 PM

Nope. Thermostat to the furnace and back a few times.

iamfob
(Post Master Supreme)
02/06/18 12:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Tasty
Just got mine installed. I called their 1-888 number yesterday cause it's been awhile since i got their email with no further action (and i was bored at work). They were quite nice on the phone and booked an appointment for me today between 4-8, guys came at 4 and set everything up. They asked a few questions about other things I would update in the future and also age of appliances.

Do you get to pick which brand of thermostat to install or the installer picked for you?

civic13
(Post Master)
02/06/18 04:55 AM

Originally Posted By: The Postman

Did you get an audit/review of how you can "improve" your home's efficiency or anything like that?

SuPeR-MaRiO
(Post Master Sr)
02/06/18 08:09 AM

Originally Posted By: iamfob

Do you get to pick which brand of thermostat to install or the installer picked for you?

You get to pick. Unless you really prefer one unit over the other, Nest is white, Ecobee is black. One might go with you decor better than the other (ie not stand out as much).

SuPeR-MaRiO
(Post Master Sr)
02/06/18 08:09 AM

Originally Posted By: civic13
 Originally Posted By: The Postman

Did you get an audit/review of how you can "improve" your home's efficiency or anything like that?

I'm pretty sure I didn't.

spd-dmn
(Post Master)
02/06/18 10:35 AM

Got mine.

meh

Big Tasty
(Post Master Supreme)
02/06/18 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: iamfob

You get to pick. Unless you really prefer one unit over the other, Nest is white, Ecobee is black. One might go with you decor better than the other (ie not stand out as much).

Yup, got to pick which one I wanted.

civic13
(Post Master)
02/06/18 04:38 PM

Guys who got the Ecobee3 tstat...do you have issues with it dropping wifi connection?? Been reading ppl having issues with that.