Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 09:22 AM
Chevy Bolt pricing announced

$30k plus tax after $14k Ontario rebate(s), almost 400km of range on a single charge. Who needs a Tesla?

First drive:
http://doubleclutch.ca/first-drive-2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev/

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 09:40 AM
Re: Chevy Bolt pricing announced

Wow, really can't complain too much about those prices.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 09:47 AM

not bad obama

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 10:12 AM

interdasting

f22b-dohc
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 10:39 AM

alternative tesla

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 10:40 AM

Isn't the Tesla going to be bigger?

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 11:00 AM

10yr/160K warranty, and guaranteed 65% battery capacity at the end of the warranty. Seems like a real no-risk proposition.

Now when does the 0%/84mos offer come out?

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 11:16 AM

I wonder if they are running these batteries conservatively like my wifes Volt where it never depletes below 20% and never charges above 80%.

Wait for wynne to offer more incentives to go green. All she needs to do is add another gas tax and were set for 0%/84 months!

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 11:26 AM

To get 383km of range, you'd have to think they're going much deeper into the battery cycles.

The problem with the huge incentive (33% of the price of the car) is that if and when it goes away, no one is going to buy one. At least not until GM can sell it for closer to $30k without the rebate.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 11:53 AM

that's also prob summer mileage, i'd be curious to see real-world winter mileage

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 12:00 PM

Rule-of-thumb seems to be 10-15% hit in the cold months. That's still 325km of range if 15% is the number.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 12:05 PM

It's more like 20%. Battery isn't as efficient and the use of heat kills range.

Big Tasty
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Screamin DC2R
not bad obama

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 02:18 PM

iamfob
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 02:18 PM

Good diu

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
01/24/17 03:07 PM

Once they get one I can try, I may cancel my Model 3 order.

4age
(Post Master Sr)
01/24/17 03:35 PM

why u guys no a3 etron tho

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 04:15 PM

Range is shit that's why. Can it even do highway speeds pure electric?

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: eddie_82
Rule-of-thumb seems to be 10-15% hit in the cold months. That's still 325km of range if 15% is the number.

Tesla owners claim it's close to 30% in the winter months and a good 20% in the summer with A/C on.

Regardless, this Bolt is awesome and the pricing is great! Hate GM with a passion, but i'd consider this for a daily.

4age
(Post Master Sr)
01/24/17 06:21 PM

I am not understanding the excitement. Is this what we call generation gap? Pretty sure risky is the same age tho. Wut dat markham life do

spd-dmn
(Post Master)
01/24/17 07:24 PM

A3 e-tron balances more toward gas than electric. It can do 130kph max on electric, but max range is only 26-30km. Pales in comparison to the Bolt or even the Volt.

Total range is 550-600, though, so there's a bit more flexibility there if you do long trips (compared to the Bolt). And with both powertrains running together, the car does 200hp and 258lb-ft so it feels a bit sportier than either the Bolt or Volt.

Really depends what your driving needs are, at the end of the day. If you can charge at home and at work, and commute within 30km, you'll barely touch the gas engine.

If you just want higher priority on electric, the Volt is a much better option (18kwh battery vs 8.8).

No mistake about it, tho, the Bolt is an amazing accomplishment from GM. Can't wait to try one.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 07:59 PM

At what rpm does the etron make 258lbs? Is it combined or electric only? The volt makes something like 260lbs from a dead start. It kills everything I have ever driven in terms of pick up from a dead start.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: 4age
I am not understanding the excitement. Is this what we call generation gap? Pretty sure risky is the same age tho. Wut dat markham life do

You don't understand why an all electric car that gets almost 400km on a single charge for 30k is exciting? I mean let's start by looking at all the comparables out there....

/thoughts from the velodrome

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Risky Business

/thoughts from the velodrome

Just Milton things

The Postman
(Post Master Sr)
01/24/17 09:05 PM

Call me uneducated, naive, etc, but what is the benefit of such a vehicle? Wife has a pretty long commute, so a more fuel effecient car might be a good iead.

A Tesla I can see as its very tech filled and performance oriented in some cases, but a near $40k Bolt that doesnt seem much more fuel efficient that a Fit or other subcompact econobox.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/17 09:08 PM

There you have it, a rational analysis from downtown Binbrook.

4age
(Post Master Sr)
01/24/17 09:33 PM

Risky, at that point the car becomes a pure appliance. I thought we are car enthusiasts here. What fun is it to flog an over weight and silent car with characterless power delivery? All electric cars will be of the same feeling--that is, instant torque from zero. Pure silence and no drama. And trust me, it is most advantageous for me to go EV since there is priority parking and free charging at the velodrome :p but I give no fucks. Not excited. Would rather spend 30k on a used 964 10 yearsago

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
01/25/17 06:42 AM

Risky is already at that appliance phase though, ask him about the shitbox that he enjoys commuting in.

Fack I commuted in a subaru outback for a few years and thought it a proper car. A bolt would have been amazing for that.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
01/25/17 07:54 AM

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
01/25/17 10:31 AM

Going to test drive one tonight. Brand new, just arrived a few minutes before I started writing this.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
01/25/17 10:41 AM

Cookie?

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
01/25/17 10:52 AM

Well, I was going to write up something about it tomorrow. But with your attitude?

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
01/25/17 10:53 AM

Just living up to his username Make sure to take some pics.

f22b-dohc
(Post Master Supreme)
01/25/17 11:04 AM

alternative troll

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
01/25/17 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Just A Troll
Going to test drive one tonight. Brand new, just arrived a few minutes before I started writing this.

Are there any hybrid or electric cars that you have driven that you can compare it to?

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
01/25/17 12:20 PM

Well, I was going to write up something about it tomorrow. But with your attitude?

Like I need your stupid opinion?

iamfob
(Post Master Supreme)
01/25/17 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: The Postman
A Tesla I can see as its very tech filled and performance oriented in some cases, but a near $40k Bolt that doesnt seem much more fuel efficient that a Fit or other subcompact econobox.

When you get your Tesla service, you get a Kia SUV as rental. Dat luxury lifestyle doe

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
01/25/17 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Hatorade

Like I need your stupid opinion?

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
01/25/17 01:10 PM

Are there any hybrid or electric cars that you have driven that you can compare it to?

Volt (2 gens), Camry hybrid, Accord hybrid, Prius plug-in, Tesla S. i3 is also on my to-do list.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/25/17 06:22 PM

So how was it?

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
01/25/17 07:24 PM

Pretty peppy off the line. Actually very quick off a red light. Surprisingly good handling although the steering felt a bit "loose". That regen button on the left of the steering is a good idea but I can see it getting annoying after a while. I think there's a way to put it in "tesla mode" which is regen as soon as you lift off the throttle. The sales guy and I just couldn't find the setting in the menu.

The displays are pretty good but a bit clutered. They're trying to show too much info all at once. And I can do without the animations of the Bolt spinning around when going in-out of the menu.

One very cool feature is the rear-view mirror. In normal mode it's like any other auto-dimming rearview. But flip the switch below it and it switches to the rear camera which gives you a very good view of what's behind. You can see angles to the sides which you just can see with the normal mirrors. But you do see even wider angles with the back-up camera which you can leave on. It also has a top-down 360 view. Just cameras under the side mirrors and another one in the front which can be used separately when parking.

Visibility is pretty good but you need to use all those cameras to overcome the very narrow view out the back.

Interior room is pretty good. Far better than the Volt for example. Tall drivers and rear passengers will have no problems. It did fell a bit narrow. The rear seats are very upright and put you in a "stadium" seating position so you can see over the front passengers.

Rear cargo, with seats up, is typical of what you'd get with a subcompact. And there's no spare tire so there's a movable shelf instead.

In the end it's still just a Chevy spark. It's slightly taller than the spark, slightly longer than the spark and almost the same width. They say it's a "mini crossover" but no. Not even close! It's just a subcompact wagon.

The one I tried was a white Premier model with all the driver assists (lane keep, scross traffic etc.). They're asking $50k (before incentives and taxes).

Verdict: I'll leave my deposit with Tesla for a model 3. Sure the bolt might beat the tesla in range (slightly) and probably in price too. But from what I've seen and heard, the 3 will probably be more like a $50K car than just an expensive econo-car.

To me, it's a big expensive for a small car to just drive around town. Save yourself a lot of money and get the Spark, or a Honda fit. There's not enough gas savings to justify the up-front costs of the Bolt. I'll sit down and do the math to compare. Chevy's website says: "$1600 savings/year in gas". But I doubt those figures are accurate to begin with and if they are, it'll take you well over 10 years to make up the difference.

It's a good attempt, much better than the Volt but Chevy isn't quite there yet. If you're looking for value-for-money, there are better options. But if you want a decent range electric car and insist on being full electric, the Bolt is a better choice than say, the Nissan Leaf.

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
01/25/17 07:29 PM

You should go test drive a kia as well, at least then you'll be familiar with the controls

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/25/17 07:35 PM

Pretty peppy off the line. Actually very quick off a red light. Surprisingly good handling although the steering felt a bit "loose". That regen button on the left of the steering is a good idea but I can see it getting annoying after a while. I think there's a way to put it in "tesla mode" which is regen as soon as you lift off the throttle. The sales guy and I just couldn't find the setting in the menu.

The displays are pretty good but a bit clutered. They're trying to show too much info all at once. And I can do without the animations of the Bolt spinning around when going in-out of the menu.

One very cool feature is the rear-view mirror. In normal mode it's like any other auto-dimming rearview. But flip the switch below it and it switches to the rear camera which gives you a very good view of what's behind. You can see angles to the sides which you just can see with the normal mirrors. But you do see even wider angles with the back-up camera which you can leave on. It also has a top-down 360 view. Just cameras under the side mirrors and another one in the front which can be used separately when parking.

Visibility is pretty good but you need to use all those cameras to overcome the very narrow view out the back.

Interior room is pretty good. Far better than the Volt for example. Tall drivers and rear passengers will have no problems. It did fell a bit narrow. The rear seats are very upright and put you in a "stadium" seating position so you can see over the front passengers.

Rear cargo, with seats up, is typical of what you'd get with a subcompact. And there's no spare tire so there's a movable shelf instead.

In the end it's still just a Chevy spark. It's slightly taller than the spark, slightly longer than the spark and almost the same width. They say it's a "mini crossover" but no. Not even close! It's just a subcompact wagon.

The one I tried was a white Premier model with all the driver assists (lane keep, scross traffic etc.). They're asking $50k (before incentives and taxes).

Verdict: I'll leave my deposit with Tesla for a model 3. Sure the bolt might beat the tesla in range (slightly) and probably in price too. But from what I've seen and heard, the 3 will probably be more like a $50K car than just an expensive econo-car.

To me, it's a big expensive for a small car to just drive around town. Save yourself a lot of money and get the Spark, or a Honda fit. There's not enough gas savings to justify the up-front costs of the Bolt. I'll sit down and do the math to compare. Chevy's website says: "$1600 savings/year in gas". But I doubt those figures are accurate to begin with and if they are, it'll take you well over 10 years to make up the difference.

It's a good attempt, much better than the Volt but Chevy isn't quite there yet. If you're looking for value-for-money, there are better options. But if you want a decent range electric car and insist on being full electric, the Bolt is a better choice than say, the Nissan Leaf.

Interesting review, thanks.

As far as gas savings, my rule of thumb is for a car doing 10L/100 or so, a fully electric is about 1/4 of the cost with electricity charging off peak.

So if you get 400 km on a tank and it costs you $40, the electric will get you 400km on $10. The fraction becomes smaller as the more inefficient the gas car is, etc.

The Postman
(Post Master Sr)
01/25/17 07:54 PM

So how is this better then a Fit at half the cost?

Or the token CSI Ont $3k beater.

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
01/25/17 08:26 PM

It's got more "toys" like the cameras, lane keep assist, Qi charger for the phone and so on. It's probably quicker to 100km/h than a fit too.

But does that justify a $35K premium for a car which is basically the same size? Nope. So like in my review: It's not really worth the difference.

But... if you INSIST on getting a full electric car, the Bolt is probably your best bet, at the moment, for less than $80k.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
01/25/17 08:43 PM

You lost me at the much better than the volt comment. They are 2 completely different designs. One that can actually do road trips and the cannot

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
01/25/17 08:54 PM

'17 Accord Hybrid is best in class fuel economy (real world and on paper) thus far for sedans. it's just off mark of a prius even lol.

we have a '15 Plug-In Accord (PHEV) hybrid from the USA as a test mule and it gets amazing mileage. i think battery on that lasts about 45-50km's in summer but in winter it drops to like 15km's lol.

fcx clarity Plug-In is coming here 2018, verrryyyy curious to see what it'll do and it's bigger than an accord. then some truck as well, no idea what doe.

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
01/25/17 09:17 PM

Here's the big differences:

Volt: back seat for kids. Bolt: back seat for adults
Volt: uncomfortable seats. Bolt: Slightly more comfortable
Volt: Large trunk space. Bolt: Small trunk space
Volt: Short range on battery. Bolt: Long range on battery
Volt: Long range on gas. Bolt: N/A
Volt: Sedan with a silly hatch (bad angle). Bolt: proper wagon
Volt: based on Cruze. Bolt: Based on spark
Volt: more refined as a car. Bolt: More refined as an EV.

This is the 2nd gen Volt. I tried the 1st gen Volt and it's a bit of a joke. No wonder they're dirt cheap ($10K for a 2012) on the used market these days. 2nd gen is a huge improvement.

Both cars are targeted at the electric car crowd. Even Chevy calls the Volt an electric car with a range extender.

You want a road trip car? Get a real road trip car? Why get the uncomfortable Volt?

Here's a fact: you should only get a Volt or Bolt as a second car.

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
01/25/17 09:23 PM

'17 Accord Hybrid is best in class fuel economy (real world and on paper) thus far for sedans. it's just off mark of a prius even lol.

we have a '15 Plug-In Accord (PHEV) hybrid from the USA as a test mule and it gets amazing mileage. i think battery on that lasts about 45-50km's in summer but in winter it drops to like 15km's lol.

fcx clarity Plug-In is coming here 2018, verrryyyy curious to see what it'll do and it's bigger than an accord. then some truck as well, no idea what doe.

For 4 adults, i'd be looking at an Accord Hybrid instead of a Bolt. The Accord touring is about the same price as the Bolt Premier (after government incentives). Way better road trip car than a Volt. LOL

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
01/26/17 08:47 AM

For 4 adults, i'd be looking at an Accord Hybrid instead of a Bolt. The Accord touring is about the same price as the Bolt Premier (after government incentives). Way better road trip car than a Volt. LOL

Yup.

And the V6 Accord gets great mileage if you drive it decent.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
01/26/17 09:07 AM

Who drives 4 adults around regularly?

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
01/26/17 10:20 AM

A troll.

hyper-s2k
(Post Master Supreme)
01/26/17 11:41 AM

A troll.

iamfob
(Post Master Supreme)
01/26/17 03:41 PM

A troll.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
01/26/17 04:11 PM

Oddly enough, a co-worker of mine who DD's a Volt is going to test drive a Bolt tonight.

Hmmmm.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
01/26/17 04:36 PM

Oddly enough, a co-worker of mine who DD's a Volt is going to test drive a Bolt tonight.

Hmmmm.

For the money and range it's not bad for someone that never needs the extended range. My wife loves never needing to worry about filling up. She always hated going to the gas station.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/26/17 04:46 PM

A troll.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
01/26/17 10:05 PM

Hmmmm.

For the money and range it's not bad for someone that never needs the extended range. My wife loves never needing to worry about filling up. She always hated going to the gas station.

Theoretically, you can go nearly 700km in the Bolt if you leave with a full charge and get a quick-charge when the battery is out. The quick charge takes an hour, and of course you have to find a quick-charge station along the way. Seems very reasonable for someone who can plan their journey well. That'll get you to Montreal with plenty to spare (562km from Mississauga).

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
01/27/17 12:57 AM

I'm not sure I'd drive it to Montreal. Range anxiety is real, so are traffic jams, hot days, cold days. Blue mountain and back is about 320kms, but when skiing with my friend we don't take his Tesla P85 rated for 426kms. Range on the display doesn't drop dramatically, it just drops 1.1-1.3 or so kms for ever km driven in the winter, less so in the summer but he tells me it's never 1:1.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 07:14 AM

yep 1.1 - 1.3 is totally normal, but he most like isn't driving in Tesla version of the "eco" mode, but 1:1 is achievable, some anecdotal evidence:

I had a P85 for a trip to Kingston and back to Toronto, forgot to charge it the night before Barely made it to the supercharger in port hope, etc etc

But, if you drive 95km/h with the AC off, yep 1:1 is possible, in fact at some points I was actually extending my range than what was projected. I got home covered in sweat (from heat and range anxiety), but it's totally doable if you are willing to put yourself in some voluntary discomfort

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
01/27/17 08:31 AM

Who drives 4 adults around regularly?

Carpoolers!

Saves me $4500/yr. Worth it!

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
01/27/17 09:19 AM

Once in Port Hope why were you not able to drive it like a gas car with normal speeds and conveniences?

I'm not sure how the range calculator works but rather than reset to stated range all the time it should be based on how you drive like on gas cars. Don't reset it so it's based on long term average then you'll have a meaningful number rather than starting over each charge. I think the problem with this is people would start posting their full charge distance to empty numbers and consumers will realize stated numbers are only possible if you drive it like you're afraid of a car. This is in contrast to how I drive my cars like I want to and actually get the published numbers.

I wouldn't mind an EV, but with no daily commute it makes no sense whatsoever.

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 09:40 AM

That doesn't sound like a very fun way to get great highway mileage, lol. Range anxiety would definitely bother me.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 09:43 AM

Anxiety is a thing of the past.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-chargers-ontario.shtml

xza8
(Sr Member)
01/27/17 09:43 AM

Hmmmm.

Theoretically, you can go nearly 700km in the Bolt if you leave with a full charge and get a quick-charge when the battery is out. The quick charge takes an hour, and of course you have to find a quick-charge station along the way. Seems very reasonable for someone who can plan their journey well. That'll get you to Montreal with plenty to spare (562km from Mississauga).

No way... I have a 75 kw battery and I struggled with going to Niagara Falls. I had access to 2 superchargers (Grimsby and Buffalo) but nowhere near anxiety free.

Left Markham with 100%... got to Grimsby with 40%... charged up to 70% (because it'll take a hour to charge to 100% from 80% and I figured I can just charge at the hotel)... arrived at Sheraton On the Falls with 20%.

Charged at a Level 1 charger Casino Niagara @ 5 km/hour... meanwhile the car drives 2.5 km for 5 km stated.

We planned on staying at the Falls so I didn't need the car so just charged the whole day.

I could've hunted for a Level 2 charger @ the Travelodge but I didn't feel like walking 10 minutes back to the hotel.

I DEFINITELY had to top up at Grimsby. Left Grimsby with 80% and arrived Toronto with 20%.

Meanwhile the navigation estimated 20% roundtrip to Niagara without charging.

xza8
(Sr Member)
01/27/17 09:44 AM

There are quite a few Level 2 chargers but many times they are used up and the L2 charges 20-30KM/hour. The Supercharger at Lawrence is ALWAYS full... I don't bother trying anymore (even when going home from Yorkdale, which is a 10 minute detour) unless I'm coming from Downtown).

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 09:47 AM

Until the ranges are double or triple of what they are today, I don't see it being anxiety free at all.

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 09:54 AM

or at least the range not being so drastically affected by weather.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 09:55 AM

Originally Posted By: 87ZCSi
Once in Port Hope why were you not able to drive it like a gas car with normal speeds and conveniences?

I'm not sure how the range calculator works but rather than reset to stated range all the time it should be based on how you drive like on gas cars. Don't reset it so it's based on long term average then you'll have a meaningful number rather than starting over each charge. I think the problem with this is people would start posting their full charge distance to empty numbers and consumers will realize stated numbers are only possible if you drive it like you're afraid of a car. This is in contrast to how I drive my cars like I want to and actually get the published numbers.

I wouldn't mind an EV, but with no daily commute it makes no sense whatsoever.

I was running short on time and because I lost 30 mins on my way to Kingston charging at the Port Hope charger, I was also screwed on my way back since I had to charge up again. I didn't have time to let it charge enough.

If I had charged it the night before I would've been able to drive like an ass and stop for a 15-20 min top up on my way back ( which was the original plan ). I've done the same trip with the car when it was charged and drove it like I stole it \:D

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 09:56 AM

Originally Posted By: phoenixrage

Yeah, that's a killer.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 09:56 AM

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
That doesn't sound like a very fun way to get great highway mileage, lol. Range anxiety would definitely bother me.

There is no range anxiety, only if you don't plan like my dumbass self not charging the car before a road trip.

Other than that I've never had an issue and I have a lot of wheel time behind the p85.

xza8
(Sr Member)
01/27/17 09:58 AM

+1

You'd get slaughtered doing 100 on the 407... you need to do 120 + winter tires + heat/defrosters + snow

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 09:58 AM

Originally Posted By: xza8

Hmmmm.

No way... I have a 75 kw battery and I struggled with going to Niagara Falls. I had access to 2 superchargers (Grimsby and Buffalo) but nowhere near anxiety free.

Left Markham with 100%... got to Grimsby with 40%... charged up to 70%... arrived at Sheraton On the Falls with 20%.

Charged at a Level 1 charger Casino Niagara @ 5 km/hour... meanwhile the car drives 2.5 km for 5 km stated.

We planned on staying at the Falls so I didn't need the car so just charged the whole day.

I could've hunted for a Level 2 charger @ the Travelodge but I didn't feel like walking 10 minutes back to the hotel.

I DEFINITELY had to top up at Grimsby. Left Grimsby with 80% and arrived Toronto with 20%.

YOu must be omitting some pretty critical variables in the way you drive/electricity you were using, etc to be getting half the stated mileage.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 10:00 AM

Yeah, that's a killer.

It's not that bad, as long as you forget that the car comes with climate control (no ac in summer, no heat in winter) it's perfectly fine

/tesla apologist

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 10:03 AM

xza8
(Sr Member)
01/27/17 10:04 AM

Originally Posted By: xza8

Hmmmm.

Left Markham with 100%... got to Grimsby with 40%... charged up to 70%... arrived at Sheraton On the Falls with 20%.

YOu must be omitting some pretty critical variables in the way you drive/electricity you were using, etc to be getting half the stated mileage.

I drive an X so it's worse mileage than your S

I'm on super grippy Hakkapeliitta 2 instead of the typical Scorpion/Sotto Zero

I never accelerate faster than 100 watt hour/km (autopilot accelerates way faster than I do)

I try to drive with 1 pedal, hardly touch the brakes unless to come to a full stop

I have a kid in the back, so the heat in the back is set to 22*

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 10:07 AM

What was your average speed, like 130? I can see it then.

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
01/27/17 11:13 AM

Sort of my point with the Bolt: Way more expensive than a Spark and you get range anxiety. So why not just get the Spark if you're looking for a car that size?

But as a second car for commuting, I can see it working for some people who don't mind paying way too much just to get an electric car.

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
01/27/17 11:40 AM

I think a plug in hybrid is best given the current infrastructure. A volt with a larger battery is a pretty good compromise. 300kms real world is just too little for me regardless of what charger I have at home. As a second car that gets a small commute each day it could be a full size SUV. 50/week or every 2 weeks takes a long time to make up any savings and convenience.

/back to my appliance 4Runner

4age
(Post Master Sr)
01/27/17 11:51 AM

Sort of my point with the Bolt: Way more expensive than a Spark and you get range anxiety. So why not just get the Spark if you're looking for a car that size?

But as a second car for commuting, I can see it working for some people who don't mind paying way too much just to get an electric car.

+1
at what point does it even make sense to spend the extra for the bolt?
even factoring in gas price for the spark, it is like half the cost...and is miserly on gas

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 12:15 PM

I think a plug in hybrid is best given the current infrastructure. A volt with a larger battery is a pretty good compromise. 300kms real world is just too little for me regardless of what charger I have at home. As a second car that gets a small commute each day it could be a full size SUV. 50/week or every 2 weeks takes a long time to make up any savings and convenience.

agreed. this is our test bitch from the US here and it gets great mileage and still has "accord feelz"

also, forgot about the '13 Fit EV...the US got it, we didn't.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/33905.shtml

http://insideevs.com/honda-reduces-the-fit-ev-lease-from-389-to-259-moves-to-unlimited-mileage/

I bugged them to bring a test one up here too, no luck. I'd rock an EV Fit DD for commute (change out the seats though, i find them lacking in comfort).

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 12:19 PM

That's some ugly gaudy looking shit.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 12:40 PM

The new refreshed accord is actually hawt fire

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 12:40 PM

+1
at what point does it even make sense to spend the extra for the bolt?
even factoring in gas price for the spark, it is like half the cost...and is miserly on gas

I agree, it's probably not worth it, unless you drive a lot (like 40km+ a year).

I think at the moment the prius is the best bang for the buck.

4age
(Post Master Sr)
01/27/17 01:02 PM

i think it's pretty decent!
better looking than the bolt XD XD XD

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 01:04 PM

....said your wife seeing you at the alter on her wedding day.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 01:15 PM

17 hybrid looks nice, close to reg accord. plug-in has the funky front end as usual only, still looks decent. better than that shit for ToyoTER! lol uuugghh

https://preview2.netcarshow.com/Honda-Accord_Hybrid-2017-ig.jpg

I'm very curious to see what this planned hybrid truck model is for 2018

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 01:21 PM

I like the way the new accord looks

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 01:46 PM

New Ridgeline though... wtf Honda? lol

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 01:56 PM

New Ridgeline though... wtf Honda? lol

lol yyeeaahhh. well it's basically a pilot with the rear roof cut off. drive/handles nice though since it's SUV based and not true pickup. but i'll tell you that bed can take a beating. towing i think it still only 5000 lbs doe?

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 02:06 PM

It reminds me of the Chevy trucks sold in South America. 5000lbs isn't all that bad for that size of truck.

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
01/27/17 02:23 PM

i think it's pretty decent!
better looking than the bolt XD XD XD

+1

Note to self: add Accord hybrid to list of cars to try.

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
01/27/17 02:30 PM

agreed. this is our test bitch from the US here and it gets great mileage and still has "accord feelz"

also, forgot about the '13 Fit EV...the US got it, we didn't.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/33905.shtml

http://insideevs.com/honda-reduces-the-fit-ev-lease-from-389-to-259-moves-to-unlimited-mileage/

I bugged them to bring a test one up here too, no luck. I'd rock an EV Fit DD for commute (change out the seats though, i find them lacking in comfort).

Any reason you're "testing" this right now? I thought you said the PHEV would be the Clarity from now on. Why "test" a 2013 Accord PHEV at your job?

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 02:38 PM

Why did you buy the RDX if you need a hybrid?

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/17 02:45 PM

^^ We have a test fleet and we'll get special cars from American Honda that are not sold in Canada, test reasons vary but it's basically to share results from long term driveability/etc/etc. I think they 'planned' to sell the plug-in here but they pulled it last minute. So we just get the regular hybrid FHEV.

2018 FCX clarity - I think it's going to be an FHEV regular hybrid (what does the internet say??) and not a PHEV plug-in. I assume they're tossing the Accord FHEV motor into it with slight tweaks.

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
01/27/17 02:56 PM

Thinking of "giving" the RDX to the G/F.

I love the RDX but that's a thirsty V6 powering that thing! We'd use it to go mountain biking, skiing etc. The commuter (hybrid, electric whatever) would just be for me to carpool to work (120km/day).

The Postman
(Post Master Sr)
01/28/17 08:20 PM

So will it have the reliability of $40K GM econobox?

The CRZ was a fun little car for a hybrid. But man were they ever slow lol.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
01/28/17 09:18 PM

hyundai joining the party too wow....

http://www.hyundaicanada.com/pages/about/Ioniq.aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Ioniq

and you can choose from hybrid setup, plug in or electric. could be a contender...

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
01/29/17 07:19 AM

Will the batteries explode like Samsung?

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
01/29/17 09:16 AM

Thinking of "giving" the RDX to the G/F.

I love the RDX but that's a thirsty V6 powering that thing! We'd use it to go mountain biking, skiing etc. The commuter (hybrid, electric whatever) would just be for me to carpool to work (120km/day).

Your trolling attempts are weak. You make zero sense needing something with better gas mileage since you car pool. Fucking troll.

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
01/30/17 10:29 AM

Once again your hatred trumps your logic. Carpool or not, a more fuel efficient car is well... more fuel efficient.

Besides, we're looking for a second vehicle these days anyway. So why not go for more fuel efficiency?

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
01/30/17 10:32 AM

So why buy the rdx to begin with? You make no sense with your non-sense. For one hybrids are the most inefficient at highway speeds. Keep trolling idiot.

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
01/30/17 11:09 AM

The RDX suits one of our needs, we just need a different vehicle to suit another. I was looking primarily at a battery electric, hence the Bolt test-drive.

Or did you not pay any attention to that?

Hey look, there's a bird on your car. Go spread some hate.

4age
(Post Master Sr)
01/30/17 12:02 PM

i can understand the desire for fuel efficiency when one's commute is 120km!
Is that 1 way or both ways?
I do 120km both ways all the time XD car ends up being worth nothing in no time due to the mileage.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
01/31/17 08:41 AM

inderdasting. heard about this last week, wasn't sure where would be announced for Honda and GM...

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1305610

Lafora
(Post Master Sr)
01/31/17 07:11 PM

14k km of hybrid ownership, my thoughts

1) it sucks when it's cold
2) i treat it like an appliance
3) something having more pwoer may suck less, but the one i got is SHIT. (prius V)
4) it's awesome in traffic
5) for some reason it sucks going WB 401 from durham to scarborough, but it's GREAT going EB.
6) efficiency has a lot to do with how you drive it. I average better mileage than my wife overall, and even when she mostly does city driving and I do a shit ton more 401 mileage, i still come out ahead.
7) i never used to pay much attention to the small grade changes on the roads and tire pressure changes due to temp in my prev cars, I do with this. every tiny bit makes a difference in how soon / fast the petrol power kicks in.
8) get something with power (from both gas engine and the electric motor).

4age
(Post Master Sr)
02/01/17 08:11 AM

wow that sounds terrible.
would not pay money for that experience

"i never used to pay much attention to the small grade changes on the roads and tire pressure changes due to temp in my prev cars, I do with this. every tiny bit makes a difference in how soon / fast the petrol power kicks in. "

ZOMG NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO AIR PRESSURE, HUMIDITY, ROAD GRADE, WIND DIRECTION. FUCK.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
02/01/17 08:21 AM

He does bring up a good point, the tesla mileage is affected by wind direction (something tesla owners have to take into account before road trips) \:\|

4age
(Post Master Sr)
02/01/17 08:36 AM

He does bring up a good point, the tesla mileage is affected by wind direction (something tesla owners have to take into account before road trips) \:\|

not sure if srs. but if srs, i have no words XD

4age
(Post Master Sr)
02/01/17 08:37 AM

brb going to manufacture some aero wheels for electric cars now.
gonna be the next gary vaynerchuck

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
02/01/17 08:38 AM

It is amazing how much #7 and also road slope can factory into those kinda cars for mileage. Eco-tires also make quite a change too.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
02/01/17 09:48 AM

Uphill kills battery life at Hwy speeds. Electric cars are still a far cry from being the only car you need.

Lafora
(Post Master Sr)
02/01/17 11:24 AM

not sure if srs. but if srs, i have no words XD

dead serious.

whenever the wind comes from the north and I have to drive 412 NB, the mileage gets fucked. So I can imagine on a pure electric, the range gets quite the hammering.

edit: 4age: simple physics really. road speed and airspeed is not necessarily the same; and drag is affected by the square of velocity.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
02/01/17 02:10 PM

The same physics apply to gas cars, they just don't quantify the changes needed in gas when you drive into a headwind like an electric car does.