4age
(Post Master Sr)
01/17/17 09:22 AM
Anyone have to work/travel to the states often? TN Visa?

Learn me on TN visa - anyone.
Not even sure if this is what I need, but I've been flagged and turned around at the border twice now.

The first time was because I cannot perform client work in the US without a visa. OK no problem. The next time I was turned around despite going in for internal only purposes - and this is because I have direct reports in the US. Apparently, I cannot go to the states on biz even for internal purposes because I will be managing folks by nature of my role. WTF. Pls halp.

Any consultant types up in here who encounter this and have found ways to make it work?

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
01/17/17 09:25 AM
Re: Anyone have to work/travel to the states often? TN Visa?

What do you do again?

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
01/17/17 09:26 AM

My dad has needed a TN visa for many years, I believe they issue it with sufficient backup from the US based employer for 1yr at a time (best you check the US GOV website of course) and then you renew as needed. I'm surprised you would need a TN visa just to 'work' for say a few days or a week or something down there, but i guess it covers all?

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/employment/nafta.html
http://canadiansinusa.com/Working-in-the-US/tn-visa.html

When we head down to the US we always just say "attending meetings" and they let us right through (99% of the time it is the truth) because going for meetings are fine, as soon as they hear you're going to "work" in the USA they deny you. See if your company lets you get away with just saying something like that, then no need for the whole visa deal.

4age
(Post Master Sr)
01/17/17 09:32 AM

Thanks Screamin - that's good info.
I have attempted the "meetings" thing many times and it has been fine for 6 years \:D But it takes just 1 time to be flagged - and I have been flagged electronically. Now I am scrutinized at the border and always go through additional security each time. I am always screwed at this point.

@ Choco I am a consultant........who happens to run a team consisting of folks in canada, us and uk. I have no problems with flying to anywhere in europe. but usa is a pita.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
01/17/17 09:35 AM

Ahhh yeah. Crap...that's annoying.

The next option then is to get a letter from your company (the US side) to show at the border each time you cross stating your business there (since the "meetings" thing won't fly lol). Have someone from their compliance dept. sign it with their direct contact info in case the border agents are being dicks and actually want to call them.

We've had similar issues for US workers from our plants wanting to come up here to "work". So we're trying the letter thing for them. We'll see how it goes.

Mexico guys won't even bother as it's like 3-4 weeks for a visa and our end doesn't want to even bother with a letter for them lol.

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
01/17/17 10:38 AM

TN1 is issued per year, and is not guaranteed upon renewal time. Best bet is H1B if you are going to be doing this long term

4age
(Post Master Sr)
01/17/17 10:52 AM

Sick thanks Choco. I will look at H1B.
Annually issued would not work for me.

SW20_MR2
(Post Master Sr)
01/17/17 05:32 PM

I go 5 or 6 times a year and always say I'm going for meetings or a conference. No problems so far.

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
01/17/17 06:23 PM

Look up the guidelines of a B1 visa.

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
01/17/17 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: 4age
Not even sure if this is what I need, but I've been flagged and turned around at the border twice now.

The first time was because I cannot perform client work in the US without a visa. OK no problem. The next time I was turned around despite going in for internal only purposes - and this is because I have direct reports in the US. Apparently, I cannot go to the states on biz even for internal purposes because I will be managing folks by nature of my role. WTF. Pls halp.

Any consultant types up in here who encounter this and have found ways to make it work?

And you're telling this to the border agents?

Just say: "Conference" or "taking training" or "attending a sales meeting" etc.

I go on a regular basis and never get turned back.

Unless you're staying for many months, the little white lie will get you in everytime.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/18/17 08:06 AM

It's pretty simple to get, why is this a question Your company can do it, it's like a 30 minute ordeal.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/18/17 08:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Just A Troll

Unless you're staying for many months, the little white lie will get you in everytime.

Did you miss the part where he is flagged?

Doesn't matter what he says, the US agents are heros by nature so good luck with that once you are flagged.

4age
(Post Master Sr)
01/18/17 09:11 AM

Originally Posted By: SW20_MR2
I go 5 or 6 times a year and always say I'm going for meetings or a conference. No problems so far.

Problem has been I go more than 20x a year.
Was fine for 6 years, then got flagged once. Screwed up ever since.
Even if It's for internal/training/sales meeting etc, no bueno.
Can't do it. I have direct reports in the US and I cannot be there in person even if it's pure meetings, as by nature, I will potentially manage folks...which = "working" in the US. Which is apparently bad and illegal and horrific.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
01/18/17 09:26 AM

You weren't setup right by your employer to begin with, that's the real issue.

20x year, I am surprised that even lasted.

Rule of thumb is if it's more than once a month you will have issues. I went from once a month to once every 2 months have not been flagged (yet).

4age
(Post Master Sr)
01/18/17 09:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Risky Business

It's pretty simple to get, why is this a question Your company can do it, it's like a 30 minute ordeal.

Yeah I have HR looking into if this is even the appropriate one to get.
I'll find out on that end as well. I just don't want to get all docs together, waste a few hours and drive to the boarder to apply, only to find out it not even applicable or whatever.

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
01/18/17 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
 Originally Posted By: Just A Troll

Did you miss the part where he is flagged?

Doesn't matter what he says, the US agents are heros by nature so good luck with that once you are flagged.

Oh yeah. Flagged. Ooops too late!