Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/13/12 04:58 PM
Bike show - Did anyone go?

I picked up a demo bike, Specialized Roubaix expert SL3 with Ultegra components.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
10/13/12 06:18 PM
Re: Bike show - Did anyone go?

Ultegra nice. No dura ace for the elitist?

zaius
(Post Master Sr)
10/13/12 06:44 PM

how much was it?

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/13/12 06:45 PM

Durace = $$$ for marginal weight savings, and almost negligible difference for a non competitive rider. I am not planning on racing, gonna see if I can hookup with 355-SI to hit that century mark.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
10/13/12 07:15 PM

Nice bike. Is it KFC red, white and black?

Alpha-Trion
(Post Master Sr)
10/13/12 07:33 PM

OT... speaking of bikes, who was that douche with the e-bike and the BMW who used to post here before? I miss everyone bashing that guy lol

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
10/13/12 07:34 PM

ASNG

Alpha-Trion
(Post Master Sr)
10/13/12 07:43 PM

Naw, ASNG had the STi and he was cool even though he kept getting banned in OT

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
10/13/12 07:50 PM

ASNG was the fucking man. When I was a kid he posted up here about giving away his ITR AEM CAI (mint condition) for free to whoever pmed him first. 5 hours later I had an AEM CAI in my LS hatch for free. Back then they were like 200+

I still owe him.

The guy you are thinking of was Chris L or Chris something, didn't he have an Acura TL and an e bike?

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/13/12 08:02 PM

^^ Yes, it was Chris L, originally Zeuser from back in the day. Some of us have been on here way to long Hatorade's been on here since '99.

Alpha-Trion
(Post Master Sr)
10/13/12 08:08 PM

Chris L! LMAO, didn't he have that fit in the gas station or something because the guy gave him back his change 10 cents short? Too funny.

phildc238
(Poster)
10/13/12 10:59 PM

Tons of great deals on bikes, if only I was in the market for a new bike....

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/14/12 08:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck
Durace = $$$ for marginal weight savings, and almost negligible difference for a non competitive rider. I am not planning on racing, gonna see if I can hookup with 355-SI to hit that century mark.

In. I've been looking for people in the Durham Region who are interested in riding.
That said, I still go back to Toronto to participate in the Donut on occasion. The Bayview/Sheppard pickup point is just a few minutes ride from my parents' house.

p.s: nice bike \:D

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 08:50 AM

OP makes thread about bike show and buying a bike but doesn't post any pics of the bike. fail.

the bike show is also such a joke, most of those deals can be had in store. All bike manufacturers slash prices significantly on remaining inventory at the end of the year or in the spring time. LBS here was just recently selling 2 sworks tarmac, you GTA guys would probably shit if I told you the price though since i'm sure everything is MSRP up there.

OP what did you pay before tax and is it a 2011 or 2012?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/14/12 09:24 AM

I get my stuff for between 20 and 25% off the sticker price, which is pretty good.

Robbby is right though, pics are of the necessary.
I usually go to the Spring show...

Next year, I'm planning on buying a new mountain bike (probably just at my LBS)

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 09:35 AM

Originally Posted By: robbbby
the bike show is also such a joke, most of those deals can be had in store.

I find the ability to shop at all the stores in one place pretty convenient. Especially when you need a smaller or larger size and a lot local shops don't have a website with their inventory posted. There's also enough cheap accessories at the show that you usually come away with something for a decent price (chains, tires, helmet, shoes, CO2 cartridges... and so on).

Garest
(Post Master Sr)
10/14/12 09:53 AM

i didnt go but my cousin went. He just got me some derailleur cables because mine exploded after i jumped off my bike at glen eden and it tumbled down a steep rock face, and some new grips because half of mine have worn away.

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 11:57 AM

I picked it up for $2100 tax in. MSRP was 3800, show price new was $2499 + tax. Its a 2012 demo bike with Ultegra 6700 components, full carbon (fact 10r)

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 01:04 PM

wow baller

You don't need the x5 anymore, sell it to me \:D

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 01:13 PM

^^ you couldn't handle the torque in an oil burner. After driving Hondas all your life, you'd freak out

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 01:28 PM

^^ you couldn't handle the torque in an oil burner. After driving Hondas all your life, you'd freak out

I still have to let you drive the M3 (since you are delusional ;\) ), I can't take a single turn without the rear coming out with the cold weather. Come for a test drive ;\)

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: eddie_82
the bike show is also such a joke, most of those deals can be had in store.

I find the ability to shop at all the stores in one place pretty convenient. Especially when you need a smaller or larger size and a lot local shops don't have a website with their inventory posted. There's also enough cheap accessories at the show that you usually come away with something for a decent price (chains, tires, helmet, shoes, CO2 cartridges... and so on).

True, probably a little different for you guys since the GTA is so large and there is more than 1 bike store carrying the same brand. Windsor is so small and there are only 5 bike stores, each of them carries different brands so there really isn't any shopping around when you know exactly what brand of bike you want.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 03:46 PM

I picked it up for $2100 tax in. MSRP was 3800, show price new was $2499 + tax. Its a 2012 demo bike with Ultegra 6700 components, full carbon (fact 10r)

Nice pink bike \:\)

You need to take off that testbike sticker and change that bar tape to black, looks way to hipster/loud with such a contrast.

p.s. does not look like a carbon bottle cage, switch out asap before hardcore roadies see you and laugh.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: 355-Si
I get my stuff for between 20 and 25% off the sticker price, which is pretty good.

Robbby is right though, pics are of the necessary.
I usually go to the Spring show...

Next year, I'm planning on buying a new mountain bike (probably just at my LBS)

ya, ya, i've heard that story before. Didn't you tell me last winter you were definitely going to do some XC racing? I didn't see you at a single race!

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 04:17 PM

p.s. does not look like a carbon bottle cage, switch out asap before hardcore roadies see you and laugh.
At least the rear wheel doesn't have a chain guard. I didn't know how n00bish that was until I broke mine off and started searching for a replacement

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 04:18 PM

^^ Colour is actually fire engine red, stupid iphone under flourescent lights...

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 04:46 PM

It will look better in my shed. Trade you a Freestyle BMX for it.

I can probably get to work faster on that bike than by car.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 05:10 PM

At least the rear wheel doesn't have a chain guard. I didn't know how n00bish that was until I broke mine off and started searching for a replacement

are you talking about that plastic piece between the cassette and wheel? if so that's hilarious, I can just imagine the reaction of the guys at the bike shop.

^^ Colour is actually fire engine red, stupid iphone under flourescent lights...

i was being sarcastic \:\) Did you get a specialized jersey to match? You should also invest in an aero helmet asap \:\)

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
It will look better in my shed.

bikes do not go in a shed, they go in the house.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 05:19 PM

But my shed is baller...

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 05:28 PM

The accessories are freaking expensive. Shoes, pedals, helmet, wireless computer, jerseys and shorts, bike stand, even those CF bottle holders are $$$.
Fack me, I just want to ride to get some excercise

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/14/12 05:38 PM

*ahem*... you mean bib shorts. you definitely mean BIB SHORTS.

Speedplays are good pedals.

Robbby, I swear i will be at race next year lol. or else there is no point to buying \:\)

and on an unrelated sidenote... i'm not getting lunch today at work. i"m done at 7pm and i'm at east gen.... my stn at lawrence and brimley... haven't had a shot at a break.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 05:39 PM

if you have a lot of stuff to buy jensonusa.com cannot be beat, especially after you price match everything at qbike.com. They charge you hst at checkout so no brokerage fees. Only thing is that base shipping is a bit pricey and it goes up depending how large/heavy your other items are, but if you have a few things to buy it's definitely worth it.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 05:46 PM

*ahem*... you mean bib shorts. you definitely mean BIB SHORTS.

I can see it now, 355si and chocolate canuck riding together, both wearing bib shorts without a jersey over top, stopping to take a break, sharing a water bottle and possibly rubbing sun block on each other...

Euphoricuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 05:54 PM

op tries way to hard to be white.
bro blackies will never be good cyclists.
thats way to far n shit. short sprints are where its at.

*kenyans arent black*

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
op tries way to hard to be white.
bro blackies will never be good cyclists.
thats way to far n shit. short sprints are where its at.

*kenyans arent black*

What about ethiopians? Gotta break the stereotype, can't live under it forever \:D

Euphoricuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 06:18 PM

nah they not black either.

youve got island blood. aint gonna change shit. good for sprinting with tvs under your arm.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
nah they not black either.

youve got island blood. aint gonna change shit. good for sprinting with tvs under your arm.

In his defense the smartest and most successful black people that I've met are from T&T.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/14/12 07:53 PM

Quote:

bikes do not go in a shed, they go in the house.

Truer words have not been spoken. Mine are in my dining room... also known now as The Bike Room.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/12 08:03 PM

Post up your shed first before you say that ;\)

If it's a shitty shed I wouldn't put them there either \:D

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
10/15/12 08:43 AM

Nice bike!

civic13
(Post Master)
10/16/12 09:57 AM

Went to the show also and being my first time there I expected the line up to be huge. Got there around just after 8am and was pretty much at the start of the line. By the time it was 9 the line was pretty long.

I wasn't planning on getting much. Basically wanted to see what deals there were for clothing and stuff.

After about an hour there I left with this \:D

Anthem X 29er 2

Now I have a dedicated trail bike and one for XC.

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/16/12 10:01 AM

^^ Nice bike! Cantilevered suspension and lots of front travel eh?

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/16/12 10:43 AM

Originally Posted By: civic13
Went to the show also and being my first time there I expected the line up to be huge. Got there around just after 8am and was pretty much at the start of the line. By the time it was 9 the line was pretty long.

I wasn't planning on getting much. Basically wanted to see what deals there were for clothing and stuff.

After about an hour there I left with this \:D

Anthem X 29er 2

Now I have a dedicated trail bike and one for XC.

dedicated trail and dedicated xc? what is the difference, we live in southern ontario.
what is the other bike you have? I'm trying to figure out if that giant you just bought is your trail bike or your xc.

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/16/12 11:12 AM

His cross country bike is probably less hardcore.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
10/16/12 11:34 AM

who's riding today???

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
10/16/12 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Hatorade
who's riding today???

Tomorrow night, walker woods.

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/16/12 11:52 AM

^^ Getting fitted today.......

civic13
(Post Master)
10/16/12 11:57 AM

My other bike is a '11 Trek Mamba 29er. Yes it is less "hardcore", although I changed the brakes and have a new wheelset, and I'll mainly use it when I'm riding with the wife on paths and and such (she doesn't go off road). The Anthem is for when I go riding on trails with my friends and co-workers.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/16/12 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Hatorade
who's riding today???

Durham Forest fairly frequently these days.

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/16/12 06:33 PM

So I got fitted by D'ornellas bike shop in Scarborough (Warden and Lawrence area). The owner (Eon) did the fitting, he used to be cycling champ in the 70s and 80s, he's from Guyana. It took about an 1 1/2 hours, but we were shooting the shit too. I never knew a fitting was that detailed. Everyting from seat height, seat position, bar height and extension, to the angle. I even needed extensions for the pedals, because I could clearly see that my knees were going out when he used a laser to show me. I just wasn't putting down power in a vertical plane.

Then the guy went for a ride a with me to ensure that everything was good. He gave me some pointers on proper form, and even pointed me to some good online resources for learning proper technique etc. Great experience dealing with them

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
10/16/12 07:47 PM

4age
(Post Master Sr)
10/16/12 09:02 PM

So I got fitted by D'ornellas bike shop in Scarborough (Warden and Lawrence area). The owner (Eon) did the fitting, he used to be cycling champ in the 70s and 80s, he's from Guyana. It took about an 1 1/2 hours, but we were shooting the shit too. I never knew a fitting was that detailed. Everyting from seat height, seat position, bar height and extension, to the angle. I even needed extensions for the pedals, because I could clearly see that my knees were going out when he used a laser to show me. I just wasn't putting down power in a vertical plane.

Then the guy went for a ride a with me to ensure that everything was good. He gave me some pointers on proper form, and even pointed me to some good online resources for learning proper technique etc. Great experience dealing with them

wait. you're a noob but you ride a full cf race bike? o.O /elitistroadie
jokes aside, saddle time is everything. enjoy the new rig! it's sweet

Euphoricuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/16/12 09:11 PM

hes like a jap tourist on the ski slopes. decked out in the latest sick gear...riding the bunny hills crashing while snow plowing ;\)

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/16/12 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: 4age

wait. you're a noob but you ride a full cf race bike? o.O /elitistroadie
jokes aside, saddle time is everything. enjoy the new rig! it's sweet

Never did a full bike fitting before, adjust seat height, go riding. I've always bought used and was too cheap to pay for a fitting.

Did a quick 10k tonight to feel out the new bike \:D

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/16/12 10:01 PM

and???

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/17/12 06:59 AM

and???

Its a badass bike!

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
10/17/12 07:20 AM

How quick was your 10k?

/street racer

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/17/12 07:22 AM

I didn't time it, I'm sure it wasn't fast. Thats what the trainer over the winter is for. My legs were tired after the ride, but I wasn't sore or anything. My wife did have a good laugh at me in bib shorts \:D

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/17/12 10:23 AM

Thats what the trainer over the winter is for.

good luck with that.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
10/17/12 10:32 AM

Thread backfire.

4age
(Post Master Sr)
10/17/12 11:55 AM

good luck with that.

Oh man I second this.
Trainer in doors blows.
I thought that if I went to rollers, it'd be less boring...but even still, it still blows.

Maybe I can ride it hard for 30 mins at a time, but I'm so bored by the end that it's difficult to keep wanting to continue doing it. I've now given up and have succumbed to other forms of cross training \:D

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
10/17/12 01:10 PM

good luck with that.

Oh man I second this.
Trainer in doors blows.
I thought that if I went to rollers, it'd be less boring...but even still, it still blows.

Maybe I can ride it hard for 30 mins at a time, but I'm so bored by the end that it's difficult to keep wanting to continue doing it. I've now given up and have succumbed to other forms of cross training \:D

The training videos help a ton. And I keep the trainer rides short (no more than 1 hr). I have a 3hr one that I still haven't bothered to try.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/17/12 03:04 PM

I have the Kinetic Road Machine at home with Spinervals.
The novelty wears off after a month and then sorta collects dust. I rode it a couple of times in the winter after the novelty wore off, but that's it.

I ride outside until 0 degrees... basically when my mountain bike gloves no longer work on my fingers.

4age
(Post Master Sr)
10/17/12 03:39 PM

WTF! how many closet cyclists are there in the ontario forum O.o

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/12 07:29 AM

Cycling meat?

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/12 07:31 AM

must get a nice bike one day.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/12 08:19 AM

I'd rather have a nice bike than a nice watch.

/shitstorm

Huy009
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/12 08:29 AM

Bike meat?!

im down!

this is what i picked up over the summer \:\)

2 feet and a heart beat!

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/12 08:47 AM

I'd rather have a nice bike than a nice watch.

/shitstorm

Bah a real baller would have both.

4age
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/12 08:54 AM

Originally Posted By: 87ZCSi
Cycling meat?

AGREE

4age
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/12 08:56 AM

Can we turn this into a bike pRon thread?
Please post pRon of your personal collection \:D

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/12 09:03 AM

^^ You go first, I have 3 bikes right now.
1. 1996 Rocky Mountain hammer race - love the aluminum alloy frame, components are all outdated. I will probably tear it down and make it a go station commuter.
2. Specialized crosstrail expert - good riding bike for going with the family
3. Specialized Roubaix expert SL3 - just got.

4age
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/12 09:18 AM

You got a balling garage there sir.
Mine is very simple...

My race bike: Caad9, 105. Cheap + if crashed, no huge wallet pain.

My training bike (ridden daily): Cervelo T1.

Both bikes were gifts from the wife \:D

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/12 09:26 AM

I'm not sure I want to know what your T1 weighs.

4age
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/12 09:31 AM

T1 was never a light frame to begin with (as much as cervelo likes to claim it).
Infact, the frame is nearly 2kg. It's as heavy as a steel frame pretty much.

As it sits, it's 19lbs on the nose. Weighs the same as my caad.
Too heavy? PEDAL HARDER \:D

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/12 10:06 AM

Imagine if it had an actual drivetrain... and brakes on both ends!

4age
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/12 10:08 AM

Imagine if it had an actual drivetrain... and brakes on both ends!

LOL it will weigh as much as a miata.

Where's the pRon guys?!?!

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/12 10:08 AM

Cycling meat?

AGREE

http://www.forestcityvelodrome.ca/

They've got arrive-and-drive rental bikes and gear for n00bs. I've always wanted to try riding on a track.

4age
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/12 10:38 AM

Cycling meat?

AGREE

http://www.forestcityvelodrome.ca/

They've got arrive-and-drive rental bikes and gear for n00bs. I've always wanted to try riding on a track.

Indeedy. It's fun. You really feel the G forces trying to push your head down in the bends. And that 'drome is so steep -- 50 degree banks. They're also building another velodrome in sauga. More local, should you be interested in going.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/12 10:41 AM

I thought it was Milton for the Pan-Am Games?

Huy009
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/12 10:41 AM

You got a balling garage there sir.
Mine is very simple...

My race bike: Caad9, 105. Cheap + if crashed, no huge wallet pain.

My training bike (ridden daily): Cervelo T1.

Both bikes were gifts from the wife \:D

Must be effin nice!

my next up on the list will be a road bike.. humm too bad i didnt get to go to the bike show \:\(

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/12 12:07 PM

^^ Cervalo........mmmm

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/12 12:20 PM

^^ Cervalo........mmmm

Chinese knock-off?

Cervélo

You know, vélo, as in bike

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/12 12:41 PM

My old bike, currently the guest/winter bike. Bought through CSi:ON. 6" of travel, single pivot.

My principle bike. Carbon fiber, XTR drivetrain, Elixir CR brakes, tubeless tires, etc.

I like some road riding but not sure I'll ever have a road bike. I love the trails.

4age
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/12 12:45 PM

so badass! What's the first one, a blur? (wait, that doesnt go 6 inches does it?). Awesome awesome awesome.
I like trails, but gotta drive to get there. Driving to go biking seems counter intuitive to my little brain \:D

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/12 01:25 PM

so badass! What's the first one, a blur? (wait, that doesnt go 6 inches does it?). Awesome awesome awesome.
I like trails, but gotta drive to get there. Driving to go biking seems counter intuitive to my little brain \:D

1) 2008 Santa Cruz Heckler (30.5 lbs?)
2) 2011 KHS XC Team (22.5lbs IIRC?, before pedals)

I live by Rogers Centre and ride 12kms to the trail head, ride 10,15,20k on trails, ride home. It's not the fastest ride on this bike (Rocket Ron tires) but I get to the trail in about 30 mins. Depending where you are in North York you could pull that off too. I'd love to have a bike like yours to fuck around in Toronto and have thought about selling to Heckler to finance it, not THAT many guests ride it after all. I go back and forth on this a lot.

4age
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/12 02:04 PM

22lb full susser omg.
That's insane, and sounds like you have a sweet loop going on.

I used to do the don...on an old proflex 656. I used to adore that bike when I was growing up. But riding it now, you really see what a death trap it is! Oh man, talk about mega rear end flex...even going down a hill. It's so squirrely.

I like tarmac stuff more...more fun and I'm a sucker for speed. But I always look back to the MTB. That's tempting always \:D

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/12 05:03 PM

I suck at pictures, even more so at bike pron pictures

Garage Bikes

7"/7" Downhill - Replacing in the spring for something 8/8 and longer wheelbase

Park Bike - Bought it when I was about 18/19. Great bike for Rays in the winter

Fully rigid, SS 29er - Winter bike. Needs some work and a new wheelset

Kitchen Bikes

Norco Road bike - Old entry level norco. Hopefully replacing in the spring with a tarmac

Norco 26" Hardtail - My go to bike, absolutely perfect geometry. Has seen many different builds, will ride it for many more years.

Specialized 29" Hardtail - My carbon beauty. Under 20 lbs without pedals. It is a fucking rocket and stiff. Use it for weekend riding in michigan and racing. Can ride it for 4+ hours and not get the hardtail fatigue. 2x10 pwnz.

Recently sold my santa cruz superlight. Full suspension cross country bikes are lame. end of story.

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/12 05:42 PM

^^ Holy shit dude, you have a lot of bikes!

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/12 09:18 PM

Actual pic of bikes.

Kid Bro Sweets
(Post Master Sr)
10/19/12 07:15 AM

just put a deposit down on this as it had to be ordered in \:\)

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
10/19/12 07:20 AM

No comment on the photo above yours, eh?

/notthatfullofmyself-itshisoldbike

Alpha-Trion
(Post Master Sr)
10/19/12 07:32 AM

I thought it was Milton for the Pan-Am Games?

The new velodrome will be in Milton... pretty much in my backyard (Derry & Tremaine). They've already broke ground and it'll be situated where they are building the Wilfred Laurier campus.

Kid Bro Sweets
(Post Master Sr)
10/19/12 08:38 AM

No comment on the photo above yours, eh?

/notthatfullofmyself-itshisoldbike

lol my work network actually blocked your photo (and about 50% of the sites)

4age
(Post Master Sr)
10/19/12 09:19 AM

How are you liking the AMclassic wheels?
Still have the hub issues or mega flex of the old days?

civic13
(Post Master)
10/19/12 09:24 AM

Has anyone ordered stuff from Jenson USA or Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK? Thinking about purchasing a few things.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
10/19/12 09:28 AM

I ordered a complete drivetrain from Ribble in the UK, no problem. Shipping took 2-3 weeks IIRC.

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
10/19/12 09:35 AM

The wheelset has been great actually. The whole bike has been. Love it.

I'm putting in a Jensonusa order right now actually, shipping to usaddress because I gotta go get my plastidip car kit anyway. Shipping to canada sucks but I've done it many times in the past.

Big Tasty
(Post Master Supreme)
10/19/12 10:30 AM

My humble little Oryx Equipe 50. Bought in 2004 from Pedal Performance in Pickering.

fatredcircIe
(Jr Member)
10/19/12 03:19 PM

Has anyone ordered stuff from Jenson USA or Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK? Thinking about purchasing a few things.

Jenson includes shipping/brokerage like Tirerack.
CRC usually has the best prices, and largest inventory, has free shipping (with pricepoint), but hit and miss on customs fees.

fatredcircIe
(Jr Member)
10/19/12 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Kid Bro Sweets

just put a deposit down on this as it had to be ordered in \:\)

You planning on riding from the hammer to north york? \:\)

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/19/12 03:48 PM

I don't have a picture of my mountain bike, but it's a 2005 Giant XTC w/ XT groupo.

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/19/12 04:29 PM

^^ Nice wheels! Are the spokes bladed?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/20/12 08:06 AM

Yes they are.
Bladed Aluminium.
Mavic Ksyrium SL

Kid Bro Sweets
(Post Master Sr)
10/20/12 10:04 AM

Actual pic of bikes.

ah yes the silver surfer heckler, still love the anodized finish i miss it, i'd probably buy it back but i want a niner if i get another mtb

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/25/12 09:27 AM

So how are you guys dealing with flats? Did you go tubeless with a patch kit?

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
10/25/12 09:37 AM

2x spare tubes, levers, and CO2 inflator in the seat bag.

A lot of guys I rode with this year carried a spare tire too.

CAA will recover you and your bike if you can't ride home. Bring your CAA card along.

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
10/25/12 09:50 AM

I'm tubeless, and you can see my tube taped to my seat post. There are CO2 cartridges in the seat bag as well as levers, chain links, multi tool, tylenol #1, advil, zip ties, kleenex. the only reason I use CO2 is because pumps are too large for the bag and there's nowhere else on the frame to mount a pump. I usually prefer to add weight to the bike (non rotating mass) than to wear a backpack.

Good tip on CAA, I had no idea! That's awesome.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
10/25/12 02:20 PM

Just rode a quick 10k

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/25/12 02:55 PM

So how are you guys dealing with flats? Did you go tubeless with a patch kit?

carry tube, multitool and hand pump in jersey pocket.

civic13
(Post Master)
10/28/12 08:14 PM

and of course the

Wondering if Straitline flats are good? Need something grippy and don't wanna go clipless.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/28/12 08:37 PM

Wondering if Straitline flats are good? Need something grippy and don't wanna go clipless.

Flats are only as good as the shoes you wear.

Started downhilling with skater shoes (airwalks) but found I was always slipping off my studded flats. Broke down and bought some five ten downhill shoes and fuck me it was almost like riding clipless. The shoes stuck to the SAME pedals like glue, night and day difference. When I want to readjust my foot I actually need to lift it off the pedal and position it how I want, cannot just twist it into position.

edit - buy clipless for xc riding

civic13
(Post Master)
10/28/12 08:47 PM

That's good to hear as I bought a pair of five ten freeriders last week.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/28/12 08:57 PM

you should be fine. I'd say you've taken the best possible route for flat pedal riding, as long as your pedals are studded. wouldn't even worry about brand of pedals at this point, again, as long as they have studs. p.s. wear shin pads, studs smashing into the shin hurt like a mother fucker, still have scars from my teenage picnic table hopping days.

civic13
(Post Master)
10/28/12 09:01 PM

Lol, thanks for the tip. Any recommendations for the pads?

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/28/12 09:11 PM

not sure whats out there now, I wear race face for DH though it's a bit much for your use. Used to wear some nice thin lizard skins back in my "urban assault" days that saved me from even more scars.
To be honest, you probably won't need shin pads for xc style riding, not many instances of having crank/pedal slip with that style of riding. If for some reason it does happen you will look bad ass with bloody/scabbed shins

fatredcircIe
(Jr Member)
10/29/12 07:59 AM

We have DH in Ontario?!?!

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/29/12 08:03 AM

^^ probably blue mountain or one of the ski resorts

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
10/29/12 08:55 AM

I've been to blue mountain a few times, was awesome.

On a bike related note, anyone else go to Where The Trail Ends last night at TIFF Bell Lightbox? It was the Toronto Premier they had a rider and production crew there with a Q&A etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZUsc1ewgUQ

fatredcircIe
(Jr Member)
10/29/12 09:59 AM

Was a joke. When you can ride down Blue on a Hardtail, i hardly consider that a "Mountain".

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/29/12 10:49 AM

Originally Posted By: fatredcircIe

We unfortunately dont, I go out west or to the US (snowshoe or whiteface).
I will admit going to blue at least once a year though, the trails are very good just short.
I would also love to see you ride a hardtail down the blacks and especially double blacks at blue. Just because the hill isn't tall doesn't mean the DH trails aren't tough.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/29/12 10:52 AM

I've been to blue mountain a few times, was awesome.

On a bike related note, anyone else go to Where The Trail Ends last night at TIFF Bell Lightbox? It was the Toronto Premier they had a rider and production crew there with a Q&A etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZUsc1ewgUQ

I was a little disappointed in where the trail ends. Was expecting much more from a red bull video. Was not as exciting as the redbull snowboard movies. Maybe it was just because the entire movie was in the desert and got a little repetitive.

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
10/29/12 11:22 AM

I found the same thing with regards to the repetition. I could have used a little more development on who the guys actually were (I don't frequent pinkbike) and it would have been awesome to see a replay of the accident that sent the guy to the hospital, it just happened so fast.

fatredcircIe
(Jr Member)
10/29/12 11:35 AM

I will admit going to blue at least once a year though, the trails are very good just short.
I would also love to see you ride a hardtail down the blacks and especially double blacks at blue. Just because the hill isn't tall doesn't mean the DH trails aren't tough.

My friend rode his HT, I rode my Team Scalpel on the blacks at Blue mountain and and pinned it by guys with full squish rigs, gear and full face helmets. Ditto that to the O-cup trail @ Kelso. While blue is as good as we're going to get with our flat ass terrain, by no means is it technical enough to compare to most places.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/29/12 02:10 PM

My friend rode his HT, I rode my Team Scalpel on the blacks at Blue mountain and and pinned it by guys with full squish rigs, gear and full face helmets. Ditto that to the O-cup trail @ Kelso. While blue is as good as we're going to get with our flat ass terrain, by no means is it technical enough to compare to most places.

which blacks are we talking here? I'm not saying blue is a hidden gem when it comes to donwhill but there are some gnarly trails, shotglass comes to mind, that would be hell on bike with XC geometry. I could definitely make it down any of those trails on my xc bike with my seat down, and could likely do the same on other lift assisted hills, but imo it would not be enjoyable and would not be anywhere close to the speed that I could do it on on a DH rig.

If you were passing guys on your xc/hardtail on the technical blacks/doubles you're either a very good rider or they really suck \:\)

i've also done whistler twice now so I know how blue compares to a real bike park.

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
10/29/12 02:49 PM

I've done blue on my heckler and rental DH. After a day on my heckler I feel like I've been rattled and beaten to shit, in pain. On the DH bike I was in a different sort of pain, the kind you get from using your legs as a suspension and pushing a big heavy bike around. I'd not go there on my all mountain bike again, even though I could.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/29/12 04:16 PM

I've done blue on my heckler and rental DH. After a day on my heckler I feel like I've been rattled and beaten to shit, in pain. On the DH bike I was in a different sort of pain, the kind you get from using your legs as a suspension and pushing a big heavy bike around. I'd not go there on my all mountain bike again, even though I could.

The leg pain from riding the DH bike was probably all the pedaling you need to do to get to the trails, from the top of the lift. It's brutal how far you need to ride to get to the majority of the trails. You spend more time up top pedaling to the trails then you do going down the hill.

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/29/12 04:42 PM

You should have called 355-SI for you paining!

iamfob
(Post Master Supreme)
10/29/12 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Alpha-Trion
Naw, ASNG had the STi and he was cool even though he kept getting banned in OT

I always wonder what happen to him. He was a cool guy and took me for a drive in his 05 STi, that car was mad fast

fatredcircIe
(Jr Member)
10/30/12 07:38 AM

Robby - couldn't remember which blacks, it was a few years ago. I wouldn't say I'm super l33t, but definitely hold my own. When I go to whistler with a full squish, I can still pin it by people ;), though most people there seem to be just DJs on DH rigs - haha. The shore is something completely different. That's retardedly fun and it's even better because it's friggen free, so close to Van, and the people are so much more chill than anywhere I've been.

Have you been anywhere else? Thinking of going to Peru next year.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
10/30/12 03:16 PM

Robby - couldn't remember which blacks, it was a few years ago. I wouldn't say I'm super l33t, but definitely hold my own. When I go to whistler with a full squish, I can still pin it by people ;), though most people there seem to be just DJs on DH rigs - haha. The shore is something completely different. That's retardedly fun and it's even better because it's friggen free, so close to Van, and the people are so much more chill than anywhere I've been.

Have you been anywhere else? Thinking of going to Peru next year.

only whister/showshoe/whiteface for DH riding.

peru would be epic, isn't it more all mountain style riding though? I can't imagine them having many lift accessed runs.

edit - i'd love to ride the shore as well but doing that is a trip in itself otherwise i'd need to be out west for at least a month. Don't think I could head that way without having a week of riding in whistler.

civic13
(Post Master)
11/01/12 12:43 PM

What kind of attire do you guys wear during the colder days? Anything special?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/01/12 02:15 PM

On the road I wear a base layer and my Pearl Izumi Elite Thermal jacket, and Sugoi thermal tights. The thermal-wear is just lycra with a fleecy inside... the Pearl Jacket has a windproof chest piece. When the ears can't handle it, I have a Sugoi head sock.
I ride until my mountain bike gloves don't shield me anymore... which is around 0 degrees.

For mountain, it's sorta the same gear, but maybe with a hoodie.

Pearl Izumi Elite Thermal jacket (I have 2012... this is the 2013, but it's similar)
http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=45&product_id=1579017&outlet=&color_code=509

The tights
http://www.sugoi.com/can/bike/men/tights/midzero-zap-tight-3.html

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
11/01/12 02:19 PM

Depends how cold and who I'm riding with. If I know there will be lots of breaks I wear more. Normally though to 0* it's just the same stuff I'd wear at 30* but with a base layer. If it's colder than 0* then I wear full winter gear and ride with platforms. At that point I'm going out for the point of riding and being social rather than setting any personal bests.

fatredcircIe
(Jr Member)
11/01/12 02:49 PM

Fuck riding in the cold. Dick shrivels up and goes back inside.

fatredcircIe
(Jr Member)
11/01/12 02:49 PM

Yeah, there's no hill assist, but it's more AM/adventure riding.

civic13
(Post Master)
11/01/12 04:59 PM

On the road I wear a base layer and my Pearl Izumi Elite Thermal jacket, and Sugoi thermal tights. The thermal-wear is just lycra with a fleecy inside... the Pearl Jacket has a windproof chest piece. When the ears can't handle it, I have a Sugoi head sock.
I ride until my mountain bike gloves don't shield me anymore... which is around 0 degrees.

For mountain, it's sorta the same gear, but maybe with a hoodie.

Pearl Izumi Elite Thermal jacket (I have 2012... this is the 2013, but it's similar)
http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=45&product_id=1579017&outlet=&color_code=509

The tights
http://www.sugoi.com/can/bike/men/tights/midzero-zap-tight-3.html

That's a nice jacket but damn expensive

Looking to getting gore pants and a jacket but that stuff is crazy too.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/01/12 06:35 PM

I got it dirt cheap from my bike store, so nowhere NEAR that price... which is why I got it \:D

The Postman
(Post Master Sr)
11/01/12 06:57 PM

I've got a Giant MTB and I'd like to get a road bike. Living out in the country, there are tons of empty back roads to ride on.

What's a good starter bike. Nothing too crazy, under $1500 I think is a decent price.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/01/12 08:54 PM

Norco makes the Valence A1
Aluminium frame with carbon fork and 105 groupset for $1300.

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
11/01/12 09:10 PM

I was going to suggest something with an aluminum frame, Shimano 105 groupo, carbon forks for stiffness, carbon seat post

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
11/10/12 02:51 PM

Speaking of Shimano 105 brakes, I have a set for sale, $75 and they are yours

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
11/10/12 03:13 PM

no for sale posts in ontario forum. ban.

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
11/10/12 03:32 PM

^^ No mod =

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/14/12 02:13 PM

Bought the Gore Tool 3 jacket... white with black.

civic13
(Post Master)
11/15/12 10:28 AM

Bought the Gore Tool 3 jacket... white with black.

Was looking at that jacket too. Might probably get the Alp-X 2.0 SO jacket though. Where did you get yours from? I'm having a hard time finding places here that carry Gore stuff other than Silent Sports.

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
11/15/12 11:17 AM

Anyone use the mapmyride app?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/15/12 12:25 PM

Got mine at Silent Sports. I get deals there.

I use mapmyride.

civic13
(Post Master)
11/15/12 04:34 PM

Got mine at Silent Sports. I get deals there.

Damn, I might have to resort to buying it online either from the states or UK.

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
11/15/12 05:08 PM

I use Strava to log the ride, but I'd prefer an app that I could use to record a ride when I have an excellent leader, and use it to play back the route when alone. On the trails it's easy to get turned around when doing 15, 20, 30k between seeing pavement.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
11/15/12 05:28 PM

you guys are still riding? too cold for that crap.

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
11/15/12 05:56 PM

^^ I did 40km over the weekend when it was 18 degrees, but I'm not riding right now. Looking for a cheap Tacx trainer to get in shape over the winter

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/15/12 06:52 PM

Was in Durham Forest on Sunday.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
11/15/12 07:00 PM

I rode a fuck ton this year, I welcome the break, though i'm sure i'll be on the trainer come the new year.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
11/15/12 07:02 PM

And glad to see you got pretty serious into riding again Jay, when do we race? \:\)

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/15/12 08:04 PM

budget is being worked for new mountain bike... jeff, baykes and i have already decided we will do the 8hrs (at least)... and i will be doig Centurion as well.

civic13
(Post Master)
11/17/12 08:11 PM

Do you guys think the shirts you wear underneath hockey equipment can be used as a bease layer for riding?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/19/12 02:03 PM

Yeah, they work. Stuff like Under Armour I presume?

civic13
(Post Master)
11/19/12 03:50 PM

Actually it's from RBK. Something like this

http://bscstudent.buffalostate.edu/skursm59/web/inlineimpact/popups/inlineimpact19.html

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/29/12 07:54 AM

Bought a new bike

4age
(Post Master Sr)
11/29/12 08:10 AM

Nice. So good for training, though you'll find after coming off a road bike that these are so slow \:D

Is that 42x16 I see?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/29/12 08:17 AM

'tis \:\)

4age
(Post Master Sr)
11/29/12 08:39 AM

You'll enjoy it!
Lots of fun!

I end up riding my fixed more than my road these days now that I don't compete anymore. And that one is sweet--it's got fender mounts!!! Do ittt

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
11/29/12 08:45 AM

anyone going to the show next week, downtown? i see the moto. dept. here all in a rush to get prepped. got me some cheap tix, w00t. new CBR500R should be great bike, but best of all cheaaaaaaper on insruance than a 600RR. still wanna try an NC700X, pretty cool concept. tho there's also the 500F and 500X. redone cbr600rr should be decent.

though wouldn't mind seeing newer kawi ninjas <3 and what yamaha has coming not sure if the gixxer is new (or what it new last year?)

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
11/29/12 08:53 AM

^^ Future organ donor? Why you would ride in the GTA is beyond me. Way too many idiots on the road

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
11/29/12 09:04 AM

huh? i used to, don't anymore.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
11/29/12 04:29 PM

Bought a new bike

not impressed.

No mountain, no care.

Kid Bro Sweets
(Post Master Sr)
11/30/12 09:59 AM

those are too thin, try the thicker cold gear stuff.