355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/19/10 06:36 PM
Follow-up (LASIK)

Had my eyes blasted last Thursday.
My vision directly after the surgery was blurry, but better than it used to be. Blurry in the sense of having something in your eye... not blurry like bad vision.
Then went to bed for a couple of hours and woke up seeing perfectly. No pain. Felt a little like I had a contact lens out of place... but it was very mild. I felt nothing by the end of the day.

It has been 4 days since I did it and my vision is great.
At night, I find light halos around headlights and street lamps... but nothing so bad that I'm thinking I made a mistake. I've also been told it gets a bit better.

I definitely am used to glasses though... go to get in the shower and graps at my face thinking I have to take them off... or just simply thinking I have to adjust them when there's nothing on my face (I wore glasses for 21 years.)

I can't wait for a super cold day when I can come inside from shoveling or something and not have my glasses fog up.

This was a great experience and I'm so happy I no longer have restrictions on my driver's license \:D

spd-dmn
(Post Master)
12/19/10 06:52 PM
Re: Follow-up (LASIK)

did you go to several places at first to do an assessment?

been thinking of doing some assessments myself

my eyes are only -1.50 and -1.75 (maybe -2.00) so i dunno if its worth it

Jinx
(Poster)
12/19/10 07:00 PM

so, can you actually hit a 3 now?

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
12/19/10 07:58 PM

Curious to know why the procedure would produce halos in night vision

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/19/10 08:33 PM

I was told I would experience some halo at night and that it was normal and would go away.

An article I just found had this paragraph in it:
"The vast majority of LASIK patients experience at least some temporary glare and halos during the immediate recovery. This can last for weeks and is due to corneal swelling and reorganization of the corneal architecture. Patients in the healing phase need to understand this is normal and different from the persistent variety of night vision problems."

Again, the halo is very minor and not debilitating for me.

c2k
(Post Master Supreme)
12/19/10 09:05 PM

hmm glad to hear it's positive for you. how did they do the surgery? open the flap and zap and then close the flap? or something else?

my gf really wants to get this done but afraid she'd get her eyes fucked up.

where did you go? Lasik MD?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/19/10 09:39 PM

TLC Laser Eye Centers at York Mills and Yonge.
Got LASIK done, the one with the flap.

No fuck ups for me. was -3.75 and -3.50 prior to surgery, and I'm officially 20/20. Love it \:\)

c2k
(Post Master Supreme)
12/19/10 09:42 PM

holy shit.

didnt you have astigmatism as well?

furball
(Post Master Sr)
12/19/10 09:54 PM

What happens to eyeballs with astigmatism? Does laser eye fix that shit?

I'm -2.75 both eyes, with 1 eyeball at the 'first level' of warped-ness ... (astigmatism?)

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/19/10 10:10 PM

I had astigmatism of 4 diopters. But I still qualified for the surgery.
As far as whether it's gone or not... I actually forgot to ask. I just know I'm 20/20 now, and wasn't before \:\)

When you have astigmatism, your eye balls aren't perfectly round, they are kind of parabolic. Severity of the parabolica is directly proportional to the number of diopters of one's astigmatism.

BroKe
(Post Master Sr)
12/20/10 08:22 AM

how much did that run you if you dont mind me asking.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/20/10 09:01 AM

I was originally quoted at $4790 but they said that health care got a discount. So I paid $4000.
Manulife is taking two vision care cycles to pay for it... so that's $900. That means when I get my claim, I'll have only paid $3100 for the surgery... which includes the pre-op appointments, and all the post-op (which you go back the next day, 1 week, 6 months and 1 year after the surgery.)

JEFFOS
(Post Master Supreme)
12/20/10 10:53 AM

The halos will always be worse than how they were from before surgery (mostly noticed night driving). No big deal though you won't notice it at all and they do get better.

c2k
(Post Master Supreme)
12/20/10 11:07 AM

i'd like to see a pic of what people are referring to for halos.

perhaps a reenactment?

is this accurate??

http://lasikcomplications.com/halos.htm

what about dry eyes? did they plug the tear ducts in your eyes?

JEFFOS
(Post Master Supreme)
12/20/10 11:12 AM

When you look closely you see this in all the lights:

lol.

Look at a light in the dark and squint your eyes - see how it becomes sort of a "star"? It's that very very slightly.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
12/20/10 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: 355-Si

When you have astigmatism, your eye balls aren't perfectly round, they are kind of parabolic.

well duh, all asian eyes are like that.

i kid, i kid.

Garest
(Post Master Sr)
12/20/10 11:56 AM

after a few months you'll notice your vision getting even better.

i have one more pre op appt. in the new year then im getting mine blasted at YELC

BroKe
(Post Master Sr)
12/20/10 11:58 AM

shit. i want to get mine done. my eyes aren't that bad but i just hate contacts and getting tired of glasses. 4g's not that bad for something so life changing.

TYJelly
(Post Master)
12/20/10 01:40 PM

Just past my 10th year since getting my eyes zapped. Still a solid 20/20 and was -7.00 in both eyes prior (aka-blind as fuck).

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
12/20/10 09:10 PM

isn't it true that not just anybody with bad vision can get it done?

my buddy wears glasses, went for a consultation and they told him he couldn't get it done, his eyes weren't bad enough. he has to always wear glasses, even when doing sports. kind of shitty that his eyes weren't "bad enough".

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/20/10 09:57 PM

Yeah, some people's eyes are too bad and others are too good to be operated on.

My halos are probably best matched as a happy medium between the top two pictures in the last picture in the link (and actually closer to the first than the second.)
They don't plug your tear ducts. My eyes are a little dry but there's no discomfort or itching.
I used two prescribed drops for the first 4 days and now I'm down to using one prescribed drop. In addition, I have some lubricating eye drops (Refresh Plus) that I use whenever I want, to keep the eyes moist... the moisture is what allows them to heal properly and fast. They just add to what your eyes are producing.

iamfob
(Post Master Supreme)
12/20/10 11:51 PM

so after the surgery, do you have to report to MTO that you no longer need to wear glasses and they will remove the restriction on the back of your license?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/20/10 11:55 PM

You got it

TYJelly
(Post Master)
12/21/10 09:42 AM

You have to go in and do an eye test to confirm it. At least that's what I had to do.

iamfob
(Post Master Supreme)
12/21/10 01:30 PM

i don't think my insurance thru work will cover LASIK. It would be nice if they cover some of it \:\(

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/21/10 01:47 PM

Check your work benefits outline

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
01/30/12 12:46 PM

bump for the visually impaired

I_Hate_Ricers
(Post Master Sr)
01/30/12 12:53 PM

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
01/30/12 12:58 PM

np

SW20_MR2
(Post Master Sr)
01/30/12 12:58 PM

I'm thinking about getting it done as well.

The Postman
(Post Master Sr)
01/30/12 01:05 PM

Me too lol. I'm trying to see (pun) if my work and/or the wife's benefits will cover any of it.

What's the going rate these days?

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
01/30/12 01:10 PM

I can help you out... *replaces battery in laser pointer*

4Three
(Post Master Sr)
01/30/12 02:11 PM

standard pricing seems to be about $5gs for both eyes. Yonge and Eggy for me. it was a weird experience. when they pull back that flap and everything's a blur ... ya, that was weird.

Violent Spectre
(Post Master Supreme)
01/30/12 02:51 PM

I want to get this done so bad, but there is no way I can afford 5g's. Can't even afford 5bg's.

My wife has optical coverage, but only $300....so that doesn't really help \:\(

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
01/31/12 10:05 AM

$4700 was the price quoted for me...
discounted to $4000 for EMS...
Then I used 2 vision cycles (4 years) of eye benefits worth $900 ($450/cycle)

Total out of my own pocket: $3100.
Total Air Miles on the $4000 = 266 \:D

And like 4Three said, pulling the flap over was like wtf. Everything went gray for me.

TYJelly
(Post Master)
01/31/12 10:21 AM

Originally Posted By: PosterofepicPICs
I want to get this done so bad, but there is no way I can afford 5g's. Can't even afford 5bg's.

My wife has optical coverage, but only $300....so that doesn't really help \:\(

It's worth every last penny, start saving. I only paid $2400 back in 2001 for mine. Both eyes. Not blind yet.

4Three
(Post Master Sr)
01/31/12 10:22 AM

and you can smell the burning :p

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
01/31/12 10:24 AM

and hear the popping sounds from somewhere in the room, like static charges going off.

iamfob
(Post Master Supreme)
01/31/12 03:36 PM

I got mine done last August at Bochner
Worth every penny!

Simon_the_Pieman
(Post Master Sr)
01/31/12 04:09 PM

meh i like glasses

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
01/31/12 04:10 PM

50/20 vision here bitches

spd-dmn
(Post Master)
01/31/12 04:23 PM

have any of you guys experienced reduced vision at night, or any kind halos?

or ANY other side effects whatsoever?

civiclvr
(Post Master Sr)
02/08/12 10:29 AM

My wife had it done about 7-8 years ago. No problems except for dry eyes sometimes. She still uses a drop or two in the evening, when she's tired and her eyes get dry.

I really want to do it - but, admittedly, am too chicken shit as I'm worried I will fall into that small percentile that has lasting issues. The persistent halos around lights at night (i.e. post-healing) would really bother me...

TYJelly
(Post Master)
02/08/12 10:24 PM

Negatron. No side effects here.

SW20_MR2
(Post Master Sr)
11/02/12 02:25 PM

I'm sitting at Bochner right now waiting to get my eyes done. Can't wait to get rid of my glasses. Woot!

oranjizz
(Post Master)
11/02/12 02:34 PM

i know this is an old thread but being -4.25 sucks as most places charge upwards of 5K which my health benefits wont cover

SW20_MR2
(Post Master Sr)
11/02/12 02:49 PM

Yeah. My prescription is 450 and the original cost is $5400. You can try to get 10% off by bringing another person to the consultation and asking for a group deal (don't have to commit at same time). Also for the follow up check ups, you can choose to do them with your own eye doctor. If you do, the laser place will pay your doctor a fee to do so. You can try asking your doctor to lower his fee if you know them well. My aunt works at my eye doctors office and I managed to get the total fee down to $4200.

iamfob
(Post Master Supreme)
11/02/12 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: spd-dmn
have any of you guys experienced reduced vision at night, or any kind halos?

or ANY other side effects whatsoever?

Not reduce vision at night but I do see halos around traffic lights or street lights. But I had it too before LASIK and it wasn't bad that I can't see shit.

iamfob
(Post Master Supreme)
11/02/12 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: SW20_MR2
I'm sitting at Bochner right now waiting to get my eyes done. Can't wait to get rid of my glasses. Woot!

Good luck man. Bouchner took care of me and I am a happy customer

SW20_MR2
(Post Master Sr)
11/03/12 06:02 AM

Everything went smooth. The people there were very friendly and walk you thru everything step by step. I'm seeing halos right now but that's to be expected for now since my eyesight is still adjusting. Things should get better over the next few days.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/03/12 08:38 PM

Congrats! Welcome to good vision!

iamfob
(Post Master Supreme)
11/04/12 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: 355-Si
Congrats! Welcome to good vision!

I_Hate_Ricers
(Post Master Sr)
11/04/12 05:12 AM

Congrats Kev. Had mine done in March. Wondered why I didn't do it sooner

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
11/04/12 02:45 PM

$5k????

Damn yo!!!!

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/04/12 04:37 PM

worth it... even if my eyes went back to shit tomorrow.

SW20_MR2
(Post Master Sr)
11/04/12 07:51 PM

Yep, worth every penny. I haven't been able to wear contacts for the past few years cause they just started to feel uncomfortable for some reason. I'm so sick of glasses. They fall off, fog up, get wet in the rain, etc.

Balhar
(Post Master Supreme)
11/04/12 08:49 PM

my brother just got his done in india.
he was there for a wedding, decided to go get his eyes zapped. we know tons of people that have had it done in india.

prices range greatly over there too, my brother was basically blind as a bat with a good amount of astigmatism.

now he's 20/20, been about a week and he's loving it so far

iamfob
(Post Master Supreme)
11/05/12 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Hatorade
$5k????

Damn yo!!!!

dude that's the going rate. The $498 per eye is pure bullshit and no one qualify for that price unless your prescription is -0.25 or -0.50

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/05/12 05:21 AM

^and if that were the case, you wouldn't qualify as a candidate

c2k
(Post Master Supreme)
11/05/12 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Balhar
my brother just got his done in india.
he was there for a wedding, decided to go get his eyes zapped. we know tons of people that have had it done in india.

prices range greatly over there too, my brother was basically blind as a bat with a good amount of astigmatism.

now he's 20/20, been about a week and he's loving it so far

and how much did that cost him? curious to compare $$ canada v india

Balhar
(Post Master Supreme)
11/05/12 09:25 AM

I think 1500 both eyes. Was not the cheapest but seemed better than some others.
He met a guy there who had made the trip specially from Australia to get his done from this guy

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
11/05/12 09:36 AM

^^ Did he buy a Focus with the difference

Big Tasty
(Post Master Supreme)
11/05/12 09:45 AM

Had PRK done around 1992 or 1994, still close to 20/20 to this day. If I didn't stare at a monitor for 9ish hours a day I would be that much better.

SW20_MR2
(Post Master Sr)
11/05/12 11:02 AM

Everything still so far so good. My next day checkup said everything was as expected. My left eye is still very red - it looks like I've been smoking up. LOL. Vision is as clear as when I had glasses, but I'm seeing starbursts at night. Hopefully they'll clear up in a few weeks.

snowman888
(Jr Member)
11/05/12 01:43 PM

any headaches? all that messing with the eyes I'd think would cause migraines or such

SW20_MR2
(Post Master Sr)
11/05/12 02:15 PM

I've had a few headaches, but I dunno if they're related to the LASIK. I've always gotten lots of headaches in general though even before.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/05/12 03:49 PM

i didn't have headaches...