355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
04/27/09 08:54 PM
A HAVE A JOB!!! *updated w/ pictures*

As some of you may know, I've been jumping through the hoops to get on with Toronto EMS. I've worked for Hamilton and a private company but Toronto is where I've wanted to be since I started going to school to be a paramedic.

Today I got a call, at 4:26pm, and was offered a full time position with the service. I finally made it. I pretty much collapsed. lol.

The process is quite drawn out. It's been 2.5 months of jumping through the hoops.
For TO, their process consists of

1) a written test (2000 applicants.) The cutoff this year was 94%.
2) Then you do scenarios... 4 of them, and skill stations with meds and defibrillation.
3) If successful in the eyes of the Supervisors doing the marking, you are called in for a lift test... 250lbs patient (dummy) up and down a flight of stairs 6 times... and working with the stretcher and whatnot.
4) If you pass that, you're offered an interview. 6 questions in 30 minutes.
5) In this time, you also need to do something called Ability Works. Which is a static lift test and heart rate test. It's retarded and annoying and you're VERY sore the next few days after finishing.
6) Then, you have to go get your medical done. 12-lead ECG, blood work and a bunch of other stuff done.
7) Then Vulnerable Sector police check...
8) then if Toronto is happy with that, you're called for a driving test.
5h45m later, you're done...
9) Reference checks provided you pass the driving test (which they don't tell you whether you pass or fail.)

And finally, today, a call to offer me a job. I'm fucking ecstatic!

Summary: written, scenarios, lift test, interview, medical, Ability Works, Vulnerable Sector check, driving test, reference checks, offer.

No more private company! See you folks on the road... haven't been in a Toronto ambulance since I was a student. \:D

GEEROME
(Post Master Sr)
04/27/09 09:01 PM
Re: A HAVE A JOB!!!

w0w.........
congrats!!!!!!!!

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
04/27/09 09:06 PM

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Alpha-Trion
(Post Master Sr)
04/27/09 09:06 PM

awesome! hard work pays off!

Venomous_1
(Post Master)
04/27/09 09:17 PM

that's some intense testing. congrats.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
04/27/09 09:23 PM

Congrats man!

Are there any re-testing requirements too, annually or otherwise?

Euphoricuck
(Post Master Supreme)
04/27/09 09:37 PM

tahts awesome. congrats! let us know when you are on the road so we can know when to crash

iamfob
(Post Master Supreme)
04/27/09 09:46 PM

congrats!

Big Tasty
(Post Master Supreme)
04/27/09 09:48 PM

Congrats, best of luck in the new job!

spd-dmn
(Post Master)
04/27/09 10:07 PM

congratulations!

(ps whats a vulnerable sector test)

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
04/27/09 10:23 PM

Wow that's NUTS. Congratulations.

TheRealCSnapper
(Post Master Supreme)
04/27/09 10:29 PM

congrats homie. i thought you've been a Toronto EMT the whole time lol

do you konw where you'll be stationed? If you're in the North West or North East area of town (forgot which one), you'll meet a Mike Wilson. He's my friend's brother!

SuPeR-MaRiO
(Post Master Sr)
04/27/09 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Alpha-Trion
awesome! hard work pays off!

4Three
(Post Master Sr)
04/27/09 10:45 PM

no B16 ambulance, no care.

good job bro. it's been a long road. where's the after party?

4Three
(Post Master Sr)
04/27/09 10:46 PM

it's the technical term for an anal probe.

Originally Posted By: spd-dmn
congratulations!

(ps whats a vulnerable sector test)

B18C1R
(Post Master Jr)
04/27/09 11:13 PM

Congrats!

hyper-s2k
(Post Master Supreme)
04/27/09 11:20 PM

Congrats. When are we going for a double veal to celebrate? Just bring the defibrillator -- we may need it after. \:D

Alexandre
(Post Master Supreme)
04/27/09 11:26 PM

Good work man, you really seem to be into what you are doing so having people like you on board is definitely an asset to EMS instead of just collecting a cheque.

That time when i pulled up to you on Jarvis with my gf, i thought you were alerady with Toronto?

Anway, congrats, well deserved. \:D

Beer is on me if i see you.

CIVIC dude
(Post Master Supreme)
04/27/09 11:55 PM

good job buddy!

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
04/27/09 11:56 PM

Vulnerable Sector is a division of the Police Check but it involves the vulnerable sector (of society.) People who will be answering to your (medical) authority... minors... that type of person. Basically, anyone who calls 911 is vulnerable to a paramedic, cop or fire fighter with regards to treatment n' stuff.

Shane: Party will be bottle service at some club/lounge, location to be named later;)
Hyper: Any time my friend \:D
Alexandre: Nope that was a private company. Uniform looks similar, but doesn't say Toronto EMS on the shoulders ;\)
CSnapper: I know the name Mike Wilson and have likely met him in the past. As a student I recall the name.
Eddie: There's two CME's (Continued Medical Education) that you do each year. It updates you on protocols, advances in medical directives, etc... and also recertification with the Base Hospital.

I've been Hamilton and a private company all this time (with the private company working out of Toronto... but not with Toronto EMS.)

Thanks guys, hope I never see you on the road ;\)

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
04/28/09 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: ek-9
no B16 ambulance, no care.

good job bro. it's been a long road. where's the after party?

Ya.....because its all about the K series!!

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
04/28/09 07:02 AM

Congrats! That does seem like a long process

Originally Posted By: Alexandre

That time when i pulled up to you on Jarvis
Picking up the street walkers

spnx
(Post Master Sr)
04/28/09 07:14 AM

Cool! Congratulations!

I'll have to PM you later and ask about the scenarios. I'm always looking for new ideas for my teaching.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
04/28/09 08:00 AM

man that is awesome. gotta love that feeling of breaking thru, congrats man! \:\)

c2k
(Post Master Supreme)
04/28/09 08:08 AM

very impressive! you ll enjoy the work and the shift they offer!

good jerb dude and ENJOY!

Raocorp
(Post Master Sr)
04/28/09 11:01 AM

congrats man....

that is a long hiring process, wow.

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
04/28/09 11:03 AM

that explains the lack of stories... LOL

so are we going to try to start the show "Medics"?

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
04/28/09 11:32 AM

conblats...that's pretty intense!

Kid Bro Sweets
(Post Master Sr)
04/28/09 11:33 AM

congrats dude!

Balhar
(Post Master Supreme)
04/28/09 12:33 PM

congrats mang

TheProfessor
(Member)
04/28/09 04:29 PM

That's awesome, congratulations.

Astroboy93
(Post Master Jr)
04/28/09 09:29 PM

Congrats dude!

I'm surprised no one commented on the title of the thread,

Quote:
A HAVE A JOB!!!

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
05/26/09 08:01 PM

Jesus... today, third day of orientation, we sat for a mandatory visit from a Human Rights activist. We all have to take it. Consider it sensitivity training for all City employees.
This shit was retarded. We're obviously not taking it that seriously though. She had us write down anonymously, "I know someone who is prejudiced against......" and you filled in the last word.

It started kosher, with your "obese people" "black people..." cause those are all things you relate to.
But eventually, as she read them out, she hit "Sodomy" "Toronto Maple Leafs" "Starbucks" and "Asian Women Drivers."
Suffice it to say, we were howling as she went and she started getting irritated and went on about how she felt we would take this exercise more seriously given our profession.
Oh fuck off. We talk our shit amongst ourselves and that's how, at least in our field, we save ourselves from circling the Burnout Drain.

This chick was such an activist she refused to read the word "deodorant" when it came up because apparently to her, it's derogatory or denotes that someone needs to be un-smellified. Wtf.

I know we have to take it cause the city mandates it, but we got a piece of work showing up to tell us about how to act in the work place.

We talk shit amongst ourselves... but with our patients we're professional and just do the job.
And I don't go calling my buddy a homo if he doesn't take it. Certain things are just common sense. Today was hilarious but man, three hours with her and we wanted to kill ourselves!

Oh and we also got the low down on TTC medical calls. The jumpers segment was awesome.
"The losers jump at the end of the platform when the train is almost stopped. They break a bunch of bones and get hauled to jail. The smart ones go to the front of the platform and jump... get smashed and knocked unconscious, then sucked under where either they're transected by the wheels, electrocuted by the third rail, or fall in-between the rails and get diced up by the projections from under the train... or all three at the same time really"

and

"those who jump in the middle get thrown back to the platform and get squeezed between the train and platform... but because the train is still moving they get torqued along until it stops... and the poor people just watch this guy spinning around into a knot at his waist... and when it all stops, he's still alive and talking and in pain because his own body serves as a tourniquet. He dies shortly after he's release from the massive acidosis and bleeding out of course."

The videos and pictures were all pretty gruesome.

hyper-s2k
(Post Master Supreme)
05/26/09 08:06 PM

^ fuck those jumpers at TTC platforms - they fuck people's commute up royally. that happened twice last month. they really need to install a shield along the platform.

if you're gonna end yourself there are plenty of ways to do it at home.

fucking attention whores.

btw - when is orientation over and the real deal begins? looking forward to more blog entries from your job. \:\)

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
05/26/09 08:22 PM

We graduate at City Hall on Thursday night, June 11... we're made available the night of June 12.

Apparently, for every 10 minutes of delay, it costs the TTC $70,000. That's intense. Most jumpers put down 69 minutes of delays, which is soooo much money! Not to mention the insanity of people who are waiting.

I can't seem to upload pictures properly but I have some I wanna show.

Balhar
(Post Master Supreme)
05/26/09 08:54 PM

what about that dude in china who got pissed off from people closing down bridges threatening to jump.
he offered to talk the guy down but pushed him off instead

Simon_the_Pieman
(Post Master Sr)
05/26/09 09:02 PM

congrats yo!

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
05/26/09 09:33 PM

toronto needs to stop being fuckin ghetto and put up nice plexi glass with sliding doors with matched train stops like other real 'modern cities' since that's what they want to be. fuck this 2013 completion date bullshit. then again they first need to repair all the ttc subway system crap too...lol falling debris in the tunnels and cracking = not good.

4Three
(Post Master Sr)
05/27/09 08:45 AM

my coworker told me about one time he was waiting for the subway when someone shouted really loud "BYE!" and when everyone turned to look, he was mid-air in the train's path. the train smacked him and survival reflexes kicked in. he scrambled to grab the chains, but was soon sucked under and my coworker always makes this slurpy, flappy sound effect to describe it. that final shout good-bye gave him everyone's full attention ... how nice.

on a side note, i had a friend who made that leap. he wasn't looking for attention. he had psychiatric issues.

jay, i hope you never have to head to one of those scenes. by protocol, don't you still have to check for a pulse or something to confirm death? ewww ...

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
05/27/09 06:49 PM

If they're transected, it's considered "obvious death" but if they for example, blink... then you kinda have to work it. That requires going under the train n' stuff. It won't be fun.

Tomorrow we have a mock disaster training prep.
We don't know what it is or where it is. We were told to go to a certain place tomorrow and we'll be assigned partners (within our orientation group) and an ambulance.
Then the whole thing commences, with actors and makeup n' stuff.
Last year it was a fake explosion at Wilson Subway station... this year, who knows.
But you show up and there's 50 people screaming... all with different injuries.
The first crew shows up and they take on the role of Incident Commander and Safety Officer... second crew that shows is the Triage officer and the Transport officer. All with different duties in coordination.

The exercise is done in conjunction with Toronto PD ETF and the Fire department. It's really really intense... with many units coming in and treating the fake patients. None of us are looking forward to it cause each patient comes with an evaluator... and you have to do it like it's real... leave and go to a "hospital"... basically somewhere with a parking lot and report and drop them off and get back in the cue to go back in.
The whole thing lasts 4 hours and you're just going back and getting more people and treating them. Getting on the radios, talking to dispatch and trying to stay calm, calling in PD to cordon off areas, Fire to do this and that. Crazy!

There's 50 people in this recruitment... 25 will be upstairs in didactic training and have no idea what's happening. Then they go do it next week... a different MCI so they won't know anything even if we tell them what we had.

Helmets, gloves, respirators, insanity, acting, screaming, makeup, I think we're all going to shit when we arrive "on scene" tomorrow.

And Friday is my operational rideout... which means I'll be on the road. I'll be out of 21 Station, which is at the back of Sunnybrook. Look out for me! \:D heheh I'm 07:00-19:00

Shane, you got an account I can send you pictures and you could post them here for me? I can't seem to get my shit to work properly.

Alexandre
(Post Master Supreme)
05/27/09 08:29 PM

Dude if you work in that area we will see each other y0..holla atcho boy.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/09/09 05:37 PM

Dude, we have to march at our graduation ceremony on Thursday. CityTV will be there covering it and it'll make the news.
We CAN'T march! hahaha.. .we can save lives, do the drug thing, the defibrillator thing, but we can't walk in a straight line. rofl.

We had Honour Guard and marching review today and well, it wasn't pretty ;\)

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
06/10/09 01:36 PM

^ sober up, it'll help :P

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
06/11/09 08:07 AM

wow, congratz on the toronto ems position! i'm on the fence right now because they offered me a higher position here in the ER that i can make a carrer out of; not sure to take that route or go back to school for the EMS. i'm sure i'll be seeing jOO soon! i'm the brown guy in triage, just come up to me and say club si pWnZ jOO or someshit..LOL

btw we have a tims in the caf. here

Alexandre
(Post Master Supreme)
06/11/09 09:12 AM

y0 today is Thursday and he is marching. I am off work the whole week studying and i am about 2 minutes away from Sunnybrook.

Flexin, if i ever come to ER can i get hook ups man? Like if i am in pain or some shit? I've had to go once at East York general and i waited 7 hours with only one person in front of me. By the time i was taken in my pain went away (thought it was appendicitis.)

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
06/11/09 09:24 AM

^for sure, i can't give you anything for the pain, but i can get you in quicker (depending on how busy we are). IIRC, you have the blue slammed SIR? i think i saw you on the road a while back around eglinton/bayview?

Alexandre
(Post Master Supreme)
06/11/09 09:36 AM

Yes, that was me that time at Laird/Eg. I am always in the area man, those are my stomping grounds. I've seen you around there before as well, you didn't see me though i was in my stock EG.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
06/11/09 10:03 AM

^haha..well now i have a stock integra (daily)! lets race..i own this areaaaa...lol jk

but come by if you need to (hopefully you don't) i'm here mon-fri 7am-3pm.

Alexandre
(Post Master Supreme)
06/11/09 10:33 AM

I will keep it mind man, maybe my gf's grandmother. She is 87 and it takes forever at East York general. Thanks \:D

If you need some sort of peasantry hook up let me know, like a ghetto tow or something along the lines of ghettoness with the idea of saving money. If you need ideas let me know! \:D

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/12/09 04:25 PM

It was truly amazing... march in behind the honour guard, so much senior staff there, we couldn't have felt more small.
Even the Chief of Toronto Fire and Police were there.
Get your name called, go up and have your picture taken with the Chief, the Major General, medical director and the City Council who is in charge of EMS.

It made CTV news at 11:)

I even got pulled aside by one of the EMS managers and he told me that a Chinese newspaper was looking to interview me. rofl. The Ming Pao. SOMEONE find today's edition!!!!

Then, just like the movie "Backdraft" we all headed to a local bar and got absolutely destroyed.
Some of us worked the next day but not til the night so we knew we could still get our drink on.
I sadly, am one of those and I still have a little bit of a headache. Haha.
My first shift is tonight, at 7pm til 7am tomorrow.

I'm assigned to North East Quadrant (Yonge and Eg for reference) Actually I just got my book on location, I'll be at station 21 (Bayview and Lawrence)
So that's all folks! Voyage is over... or just beginning if you look at it that way \:\)

I have pictures I want to post but am having trouble doing so. If anyone would be so kind as to post them for me it'd be much appreciated \:\)

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
06/12/09 04:27 PM

wow! congrats dude!

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/14/09 01:50 PM

Underage female.

"Have you been drinking?"
"No"
"Are you sure?"
"yes"
"Looks like you vomited"
"No"
"well what's this?" *pointing to vomit on her sleeve and around her mouth*
"I don't know"

a short time later

"listen, I don't care whether you drank or not, I just want to make sure you're ok... and besides, it smells. So, did you have anything to drink?"
"yes"
"did you vomit?"
"maybe"
"maybe as in yes?"
"yes"
K

Alexandre
(Post Master Supreme)
06/14/09 02:35 PM

lmao!!!! WTF, i am in the area all the time man, i will be looking into all the ambulances from now on. Good area to work in, lots of yummy mommies and rich folk. You shouldn't have to deal with downtown scum and all that other grime (i hope). Now buy a crib in the briddle path so we can party that shit up.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/14/09 02:59 PM

I'll be floating around stations for a few months as a newbie... we don't get a station assignment for a while. Just so happens that I've been out of 21 for the past two days. But I'm assigned to North East so I'll be around \:\) if you see an ambulance with an NE designation, look in and see.
I have 5 days off though... back on Friday night for four nights.

I was downtown for a little. Some chick with known liver problems was drinking her face off and passed out in a washroom. WTF. You're a winner.

Offload delay at North York General on my first shift ever. We were the 5th of 6 ambulances on offload.

Back at 21 station at about 3am. I hate these new pants (3M stripe around the leg as opposed to down the side. The Ministry of Health mandates it. We look like garbagemen. Well.. considering what we pick up sometimes... lol)

And this is the Wall of Chernobyl in the kitchen:)

Humourless
(Post Master Supreme)
06/14/09 05:41 PM

I'm seriously tempted to create a "355-Si EMS Stories" sticky. You've always had a knack for relating a tale simply and directly, and half of these are side-splitters. The other half make the skin crawl.

Either way, keep 'em coming.

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
06/15/09 12:35 AM

Congrats Jason !

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
06/15/09 07:58 AM

LOL @ the reflecting uniforms... very futuristic..

blcmagic
(Post Master Supreme)
06/15/09 08:27 AM

Whoa...congrats J!

Awesome stories too. I second the sticky thread!

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
06/15/09 08:48 AM

The sticky would be awesome.

blcmagic
(Post Master Supreme)
06/15/09 09:04 AM

Humourless, make it happen. Mel Gibson said so.

Alexandre
(Post Master Supreme)
06/15/09 10:06 AM

So did Chuck Norris...

DOOOOOO EEEEEET

Balhar
(Post Master Supreme)
06/15/09 01:28 PM

Do you know a guy named Joel Buckland?
he's EMS for Toronto too

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/15/09 01:41 PM

No I don't know the name... or do I... should I? Any idea what station or quadrant he works in?

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
06/15/09 03:00 PM

So did Chuck Norris...

DOOOOOO EEEEEET

I just got off the phone with Vin Diesel, he has asked to get the 355 thread stickied as well.

furball
(Post Master Sr)
06/15/09 04:13 PM

+1! Will read again!

Originally Posted By: 355-Si

And this is the Wall of Chernobyl in the kitchen:)

Humourless
(Post Master Supreme)
06/15/09 06:46 PM

You, sir, are a man amongst men.

Oh, and I did make the thread into a sticky. Keep those stories coming.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/15/09 10:23 PM

Wow an audience... well then I'll just have to post any retardedness I see in the city.

I'm not on til Friday night however so you won't likely be reading anything until then. I'm sure Friday will prove to have some stupidity as per usual.

Also, I'll be on the Lawrence overpass in uniform for the repatriation of our most recent fallen soldier.

PS: I forgot to mention... when we were talking to this drunk person, one of the cops said "do they have a cell phone?"
"yes..."
"k get it out and make a video... and show them tomorrow to show how much of an idiot they are right now."

I LOL'd cause they had the balls to say something I wanted to say. That cop is my hero.

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
06/16/09 08:20 AM

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
06/16/09 09:13 AM

lol win!

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
06/16/09 09:15 AM

lol@thepopo

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
06/16/09 09:17 AM

hey! that's where i go for smoke breaks! i'm sure i'll be seeing you at one point or another. and please, take the unknown unknowns somewhere else! haha weird my name is Jason too

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/17/09 04:33 PM

Today... I stood atop an overpass, holding salute as the repatriation procession became visible. Then I see the ultimate in retardedness...

As the procession is coming with all the lights on, people like myself saluting on overpasses and no one else in the entire express lane, a person driving a 90's Ford decides to slow down to 80km/h IN THE SAME LANE as the procession. WTF??? what happened to "pull over when you see lights?"

Balhar
(Post Master Supreme)
06/17/09 08:33 PM

No I don't know the name... or do I... should I? Any idea what station or quadrant he works in?

i work with his wife.. i'll ask where he works

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/20/09 06:57 AM

So last night was yet another heavy night. Like what the hell!

I must sleep now.. 1 down, 3 to go!

C J Fly
(Post Master Sr)
06/20/09 12:06 PM

Any idea if this car was involved? I was dispathced to look at it in the hot sun. I found out after that it was in a triple stabbing and a guy had his arm hacked off with a machete at the trunk. I checked the records after and it was a Tamil customer...

These are just SOME of the pics I took.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/20/09 02:15 PM

Nope that wasn't the same call... I heard about this one though!

Also what was cool was that there was a student arriving to go on a day shift with his preceptor and he ran to get the door for me when I was clearing out my shit from the ambulance. I thought to myself "man, I remember doing that!" Really gave me the sense of having made it \:\)

And I told him "naw dude, you don't have to do that" heh

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
06/20/09 06:03 PM

OMG...that car has AIDZ fo sure!

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/21/09 08:03 AM

Lady heard screaming coming from the park. screaming and moaning in pain.
Yeah you guessed it, two people fucking. rofl. I think we killed the mood when we searched the park and had 2 cop cars with us. Hahahaha... oh man, priceless.

K I sleep now.

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
06/22/09 08:48 AM

Not sure why or how they fit in their Mazda.

maybe refer to C J Fly's post?

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
06/22/09 09:25 AM

hahahaah. i heard about that drunk that came in yesterday, after you guys left, we had to restrain him again because he got all crazy. not to mension that his whole flippin family was here and they were being all drama too.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
06/22/09 09:51 AM

Damn that Mazda looks much improved now!

Crazy ass stories...people are truly retarded.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/27/09 02:55 AM

Easy day... 4 calls, only carried two. Had a 4hr break at one point where we got so restless we thought they didn't even know we were in the station. Haha.

This is what I did for an hour out of the 4:

And this was one of the calls we did... *sigh*

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
06/27/09 10:21 AM

crazy muslim story! The cops should have jihad his ass for being an idiot.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/29/09 06:05 PM

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
06/29/09 06:08 PM

I thought you guys were striking along with the garbage men as well.

Its cool that you guys aren't.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/29/09 06:33 PM

We are... but we don't strike 100%. We strike down 25% workforce. So for the past week our car count is 25% less. It just isn't safe for the public to go full strike whereas it's an inconvenience for garbage to.

The media doesn't talk much about Paramedics going on strike. Still don't know why. We have our issues that need negotiating too. But the media isn't talking about us... just the garbage, parks n' rec and daycare.
EMS is not deemed an essential service like PD and Fire so we get into jams such as this strike.

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
06/30/09 12:21 AM

I say that you demand better working conditions. That wall of microwaves is probably reducing the count of your swimmers everytime you walk by.

My guess is that you guys don't completely walk off the job so it isn't as "news worthy" as stinky ass garbage.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
06/30/09 07:48 AM

We are... but we don't strike 100%. We strike down 25% workforce. So for the past week our car count is 25% less. It just isn't safe for the public to go full strike whereas it's an inconvenience for garbage to.

The media doesn't talk much about Paramedics going on strike. Still don't know why. We have our issues that need negotiating too. But the media isn't talking about us... just the garbage, parks n' rec and daycare.
EMS is not deemed an essential service like PD and Fire so we get into jams such as this strike.

another paramedic was telling me how you guys arn't running much now?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/30/09 10:27 AM

Define running. Running with my feet or running as in "lights and sirens"?

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
06/30/09 12:23 PM

^oh lights and sirens. unless you guys are on foot now o_O

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
06/30/09 02:21 PM

Wait wait wait....more on this rectal bleeding story!

PRIDE related?

Raocorp
(Post Master Sr)
06/30/09 02:34 PM

eddie_82....you like rectal bleeds? lmao! j/k

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
06/30/09 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Raocorp

Rectal bleeding = funny.

It's like a universal law.

honda_civic
(Post Master)
07/01/09 12:06 PM

Congrats~!!

mk39920
(Post Master Jr)
07/02/09 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: eddie_82
 Originally Posted By: Raocorp

Rectal bleeding = funny.

It's like a universal law.

Let me know if you feel the same way when you get colon cancer.

kittikatsi
(Member)
07/10/09 08:06 AM

Congrats :-)

psyfer_kth
(Jr Poster)
07/10/09 02:32 PM

Congrats dude. I have major respect for paramedics b/c of past experiences. I really enjoy the stories and insights your sharing.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
07/20/09 01:57 AM

civic13
(Post Master)
07/21/09 09:43 PM

...., got a wave... we waved back. rofl

lol

I love your stories and have great respect at what you do day in and day out.

Alexandre
(Post Master Supreme)
07/21/09 10:46 PM

lol...surprised the pigs didn't give you a stunt driving charge. I guess as long as the lights are on and you aren't drunk you can do whatever \:D

Simon_the_Pieman
(Post Master Sr)
07/23/09 09:18 PM

do you work with the listener?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
07/24/09 08:13 AM

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
07/24/09 08:21 AM

thats crazy... but on meth its normal

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
07/27/09 12:06 PM

post removed

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
07/27/09 01:07 PM

crazy man...

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
08/02/09 03:09 PM

You know how much I hate Asian pop culture... so I thought this was a sarcastically appropriate picture \:\)

I'm sure if Asians in the city knew we had an ambulance with this designation they'd request it and say no to any other transporting unit!

Humourless
(Post Master Supreme)
08/02/09 08:25 PM

You are the fucking man.

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
08/03/09 02:06 PM

You know how much I hate Asian pop culture... so I thought this was a sarcastically appropriate picture \:\)

I'm sure if Asians in the city knew we had an ambulance with this designation they'd request it and say no to any other transporting unit!

OMGBBQBEEFJERKY888HI2U2!!!!!

Pretty cool story with the old lady.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
08/04/09 07:44 AM

NYGH whats up!

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
08/05/09 06:36 PM

So three nights ago, we're told we can go back to 23 station, which is on Forest Manor road right across from Fairview Mall. We'd just cleared North York General.

Decide we don't actually want to go back to the station and would rather just cruise around since it's a nice night. Wanna go grab a coffee.
So we ask them "can we take our 90 mobile in 23's area" and they say "yep!"

We're pulling up to the Timmy's just on the other side of the 404 and we get a page

Get into the drive thru and waiting to pay and then we get...

I started looking around like God was watching or something. We don't have anything in dispatch that tells us where the Tim Hortons are in the city, but obviously our dispatcher was watching our movements on GPS and knew what was in the area.... we ended up going to Johnny's after since he'd implanted the idea in our heads. heheh.

I thought it was a pretty entertaining incident during my block of nights \:\)

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
08/06/09 08:46 AM

LOL.. you got a stalker!

4Three
(Post Master Sr)
08/06/09 09:35 AM

johnny's! you've got all the tools to revive yourselves after a couple of those.

civic13
(Post Master)
08/06/09 06:17 PM

Were you able to score the "So you think you can dance" gig again?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
08/07/09 11:09 PM

No no, that was for the private company.

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
08/08/09 09:56 AM

great.. they don't even know how to turn on the headlights...

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
08/09/09 09:50 PM

Pulling a Seinfeld tonight... ended up filling so much that the limit on the card (per purchase) was reached; $100.00. Not allowed more. It was at 101 litres at that point.

And also, a picture of the 16 new Chevy Tahoes that will be used at the G8 Summit. Intense. I'm hoping to pick up a shift for this... it'll be intense to have that level of security and medical for a Summit.
The Tahoes have yet to all be decaled. Some have the "A" on the side but still need all the rest.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
08/10/09 07:14 AM

asian women and headlights.

mk39920
(Post Master Jr)
08/17/09 11:31 PM

And also, a picture of the 16 new Chevy Tahoes that will be used at the G8 Summit. Intense. I'm hoping to pick up a shift for this... it'll be intense to have that level of security and medical for a Summit.
The Tahoes have yet to all be decaled. Some have the "A" on the side but still need all the rest.

Very cool, are you guys going to be assigned to the G8 or moved up to Huntsville?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
08/18/09 02:39 AM

Assigned and moved, it will be a pay-duty. 24-hour coverage

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
08/18/09 09:09 AM

Assigned and moved, it will be a pay-duty. 24-hour coverage

24 hrs of coverage, 24 hrs of pay FTW!!! Next round of beef jerky is on you!

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
08/20/09 06:23 AM

If anyone's going to the CNE on Sunday, I will be working an overtime shift there on a gator. See you there maybe! 11am-11pm.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
08/30/09 06:54 PM

Northbound Yonge... lights and sirens to a seizure. Coming up behind a guy with everything going and nothing.
As I get closer, hit the phasers (the really fast-cycling one) and air horn him too... nothing. Partner gets on the PA "Move over to your right!"

He/she moves where? LEFT and almost into oncoming traffic (which is stopped and pulled over to their respective side.) SERIOUSLY??? *sigh*

Almost had a technical shutout today. A shutout is no calls (almost impossible in TO) and a technical shutout is you have calls but they all cancel or refuse transport, meaning you don't step into the hospital at all and no one has to do any work in the back of the ambulance... ALMOST had a TSO but some lady had to have a seizure. I know it sounds insensitive, but she was a drunk and that was just annoying. lol

4 calls... 1 transport. Not bad \:D

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
09/05/09 02:37 PM

Gloriously, I got to land the helicopter last night and load a patient who needed to go to the trauma centre cause he'd been drinking and driving his ATV and decided to go a highspeed into a tree.

Inglorsiously, I got to take care of a drunk guy who was riding his bike drunk and fell off, lacerating his lip. What a tool.

Got ass-raped last night, stupid long weekend!! \:\( We were sucked into the core and never got out til 3:30am. I was so tired by the end of shift.
Got to do a call in Hazelton Lanes retirement residence and lemme tell you, that place is SICK. Wow, it's so nice.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
09/14/09 07:10 AM

post removed

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
09/15/09 10:31 AM

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
09/15/09 11:00 AM

^was chris L ok?! \:D

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
09/15/09 12:36 PM

^LMFAO

That's the first thing I thought of.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/03/09 03:37 AM

civic13
(Post Master)
10/03/09 05:17 AM

lol...hope the cops have fun cleaning the jizz from the back seat of their cruiser.

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
10/03/09 10:19 AM

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
10/16/09 06:37 AM

LOL i wonder if that was the naked guy who came in with the cops the other day. i'm sitting at my desk, and all of a sudden a handcuffed fat middle aged dood wearing nothing but his tightey whiteies is infront of me. not a good way for me to start the morning.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
10/16/09 08:40 AM

holy shit lol

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/17/09 05:11 PM

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/09 09:01 AM

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
10/18/09 07:56 PM

I read the article 10 minutes ago, then reading your post I figured it was the same situation about 1/3 of the way through. Damn \:\(

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/712033--alcohol-suspected-in-high-speed-crash-that-killed-3

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/09 08:08 PM

No cameo of me, but I saw a news clip and it showed an ambulance pulling out of the wreckage with it's lights on, going to the hospital and I know that was me driving \:\)

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
10/19/09 07:41 AM

Jesus. i hope your ok after seeing all of that, i'm sure all of them were taken straight to sunnybrook, who the fuck goes 200km on the street? gad damn.

Alexandre
(Post Master Supreme)
10/19/09 02:16 PM

Thanks for sharing J...that made my stomach turn inside out. Thanks for doing a good job out there!

RIP to all the people who had to die in such an unforgiving way.

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/19/09 05:09 PM

Thats prety crazy. Good job, I couldn't do it.

Euphoricuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/19/09 05:13 PM

dude that has got to be so unhealthy \:\(

sucky you had to go through that, but thanks for sharing and doing great work.

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
10/19/09 05:42 PM

crazy.....

Yellowjacket
(Newbie)
10/19/09 06:34 PM

I just have to say that you did an amazing job...I have seen you go through many things during the process and i have to commend you on your efforts. I am in amazement every time you tell me about something you saw or did on the job. It truly takes a strong person to see the things that you see every day on the job. It is unfortunate that things like this need to happen in order for people to realize that its just not worth the drinking and driving. A whole family basically had to die because of one stupid person. I think that this is a situation we can all learn from.....Please don't drink and drive people, its just not worth it!

hyper-s2k
(Post Master Supreme)
10/19/09 09:41 PM

My stomach churned and my heart ached as I read your story.

Way to keep your cool and do your best at what you do every day. It is definitely one of the most (if not the most) difficult jobs out there and kudos for busting your ass out there to save lives everyday.

4Three
(Post Master Sr)
10/19/09 10:52 PM

What a damn tragedy. This one will probably stick with you for a while, J. Especially since, like it said in the paper, it was 100% preventable. If I had to deal with this (and all the other stupid things people do) first hand, day in and day out, it would make me a very angry, cynical person ... even more so.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/20/09 12:57 AM

post removed

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
10/20/09 08:19 AM

Wow. That's insane.

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
10/20/09 08:34 AM

so your friend's sister's inlaws ?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/20/09 09:24 AM

um... yeah \:\)

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
10/20/09 09:31 AM

just making sure i'm reading that correctly.

Either way.. thats crazy..

RIP

Euphoricuck
(Post Master Supreme)
10/20/09 09:59 PM

crazy is right

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/22/09 11:25 PM

Ever wondered what the inside of the CN Tower looked like?
I did a paid duty there for the stairclimb. You have to take a service elevator and crawl through a crawlspace through a porthole to the catwalk... which is a metal-grated walk that circles the outter wall of the core of the tower.
You then crawl through another porthole to the staircase, where I proceeded to sit and do nothing until it was over.
We were dispersed every 10-15 floors all the way up. Very cool. Lots of security in the base of the tower (not the public access base.)

Alpha-Trion
(Post Master Sr)
10/22/09 11:47 PM

awesome... had a few of my RBC coworkers doing the stair climb...

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
10/23/09 06:43 AM

LOL...how did those cup-o-noodles taste?

it looks pretty crazy in there.

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
10/23/09 08:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Flexin5

cup o noodles? looks like timmies soup to me.

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
10/23/09 10:29 AM

This picture almost looks like an ad for United Way for a street person.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
10/23/09 11:01 AM

Originally Posted By: phoenixrage

cup o noodles? looks like timmies soup to me.

oh i never knew you can get take out soup from timmies i'm not much of a soup kinda guy

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
10/23/09 11:08 AM

yes, you can. not a bad price for it either.. $4.20 (tax-in), for soup, donut, bun and medium coffee.

4Three
(Post Master Sr)
10/23/09 11:48 AM

j, admit it, you spit down that hole and counted the seconds before you heard the splat.

i was hoping to do the stair climb again this year as a jump start to getting back in shape, but damn me and the fam being sick on and off for the past month and a half.

any protein spills? (that's what we called barf when i worked at wonderland)

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
10/23/09 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: ek-9
j, admit it, you spit down that hole and counted the seconds before you heard the splat.

I used to do this as a kid when I was in Hong Kong. The spite never lands at the bottom. There is always a draft where it blows it to the side of the building/wall missing the intended target rather it be on someone's head of the ground.

spd-dmn
(Post Master)
11/04/09 10:40 PM

jay you are the fuckn man!!

i just read your last few entries. still can't believe you were first on scene for that finch collision. amazing that you were able to keep your composure and carry through.

it also got me wondering, is it typical for EMS to be called into court as expert or lay witnesses where the call had criminal involvement?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/05/09 10:29 PM

post removed

Alexandre
(Post Master Supreme)
11/05/09 10:34 PM

Wow, that's fucked up. Let us know if you go to court for that fucking asshole that killed the people. Let us know how it goes.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/16/09 10:15 AM

post removed

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
11/16/09 10:24 AM

soooo, was she at least hot?

dumb bitch.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
11/16/09 10:34 AM

was she persian? hahaha persian women are pureeeee dramatic!

i had to do the hogan drop test on this one patient and lol! first the arm went above her head, the next, onto her chest, then to the side...it was pretty funny.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
11/16/09 10:37 AM

you shoulda done the hogan leg drop test!

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/22/09 09:57 PM

mk39920
(Post Master Jr)
11/23/09 01:41 PM

The Public perception of staging is tainted by the media blowing it out of proportion and manipulating the facts for cheap headlines. Fortunately for your the medias A.D.D. got distracted with hockey players getting H1N1 vaccines.

Keep up the good work. Cheers

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
11/23/09 05:45 PM

cool stories!! Hogan arm test FTW!

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/28/09 07:04 AM

"Gravity is making me cry"
ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFL!!!!

Euphoricuck
(Post Master Supreme)
11/28/09 09:22 AM

some people just dont get it and dont have much logic.

she may make a great nurse but the rest of the shit...shes out to lunch

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
11/28/09 11:05 AM

stupid nurse.

4Three
(Post Master Sr)
11/28/09 04:10 PM

should've told him that he'd be entering a special task force where you have to train with your hands tied behind your back, in a white padding, windowless room.

Chaos69
(Post Master Jr)
11/29/09 03:49 PM

Ever wondered what the inside of the CN Tower looked like?

I actually have seen the inside of the tower before... butttt have you ever scaled the sides of the building and made it to the roof? ;\)

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/02/09 06:36 PM

How it is going to a call... I'll make a better one this weekend.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/harrie.ng/code4small.MOV

civic13
(Post Master)
12/02/09 09:58 PM

lol @ making fun at the drivers...."what are u doin'??" \:D

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
12/02/09 10:24 PM

nice video....

mk39920
(Post Master Jr)
12/03/09 06:40 PM

Cool video,

Legit question, do you guys use snow tires the winters? How much is your response time affected by snow and ice?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/05/09 07:21 AM

post removed

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
12/05/09 11:57 AM

teeheee.....I guess you were in Uniform on your way home? Popo probably just saw your uniform and told you to drive safe eh?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/05/09 03:27 PM

92 in a 60. oopsie

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
12/05/09 09:50 PM

\:o LOL what did the cop say to you?

Lafora
(Post Master Sr)
12/08/09 07:46 AM

probably asking him:

"what are you doing" \:D

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
12/08/09 09:17 AM

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/08/09 09:26 AM

post removed

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/08/09 09:32 AM

Some of them have fobs... but we beat the shit out of our equipment so much that they don't survive.
Fak, I didn't know you were referring to a topic so far back! lol
For the most part, we're still employing the key-in-lock system.

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
12/08/09 09:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Azxster
 Quote:

he proceeds to run for the ambulance, which, genius that I am, I left unlocked.

Fak, I didn't know you were referring to a topic so far back! lol

now it makes sense.. LOL

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/08/09 09:51 AM

I've seen the show... and I shouldn't. lol!

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
12/08/09 09:55 AM

LOL.. I like the show, but can understand why you wouldn't want to watch it... esp the episode where one of the rigs gets hit by a bus..

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
12/08/09 01:35 PM

So drving into work one morning, ambulance is running lights and sirens down the DVP. There is some dickwad in a g37 following the ambulance as other cars clear out of the fast lane. I started following discretely about 2 cars back from about eglinton. Just as we get past Don Mills, the ambulance driver stops, and tells the G37 driver to piss off \:D He then merges into the middle lane, and the ambulance continues on its way.

I thought that if you guys were running a call, you didn't have time to stop \:D

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
01/02/10 02:55 AM

1 day... triple time... 1 call. HAHAHAHA!
Watched Armageddon, Monty Python Holy Grail... and part of Return of the Jedi, lying back on the lazy boy with a blanket on and boots off. \:D

Only call was a brown man drove into an Asian female at Ellesmere and Orton Pk. Talk about status dramaticus. faaaaak.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
01/04/10 03:48 AM

Took post downtown at the repatriation ceremony of our fallen soldiers today. It was very moving.
It's the first time since Graduation that I've had to do the full march and salute and follow the command of the honour guard. But it felt good to be there to welcome them home. Can't say that such a sight didn't move me.

On a light more annoying note, I took a girl to the hospital who had a fucking nose bleed. That's it. A teenager who was washing her face and got a nosebleed. Parents called us.
I told them they could drive her to the hospital but they kept thinking I said they could drive. I told them they wouldn't get seen faster since this isn't an emergency.
I was pissed that we were transporting someone for such an issue when the roads are shit and there are more important calls out there to do.
On top of that, as I leave their house, the Dad follows us in their vehicle!!! WTF!???

Don't call for stupid shit.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
01/04/10 08:38 AM

i have a headache and i diden't take any advil or tylenol. i'm going to call an ambulance. *facepalm*

or the other one i love to hear...

"how come it's taking so long? i'm going to go home and then call an ambulance to be seen faster!!!"

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
01/04/10 03:20 PM

they should charge these people $250 for non-emergency cases, that'll stop them from abusing the system.

mk39920
(Post Master Jr)
01/06/10 08:09 AM

they should charge these people $250 for non-emergency cases, that'll stop them from abusing the system.

I sure hope that father has to pay up... Do people automatically get billed for using EMS or is more or less a judgment call to charge them?

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
01/06/10 08:24 AM

^it's moreso a judgment call. if you call an ambulance and you don't require one, i think you are charged $250 or something like that, if it is indeed an emergency and you take one in, it's still $50. it doesn't stop people tho, normally they just complain to patient accounts and the bill is either reduced or wavied.

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
01/06/10 10:13 AM

On a light more annoying note, I took a girl to the hospital who had a fucking nose bleed.

I guess you'll be seeing her once a month when she gets her period.

Dad calls 911.....ZOMG....my daughter has been bleeding for 3 days non stop.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
01/09/10 04:22 PM

6:15am... 45 minutes before end of shift. I'm sleep at the station.
Get a call for a woman who fell asleep at the table and when she woke up, her neck was stiff so she called an ambulance.

Oh the cussing all the way to the call.
Well, back to work tonight... at 7pm \:\)

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
01/16/10 07:29 AM

87ZCSi
(Post Master Sr)
01/16/10 09:08 AM

That's pretty intense. Good for you being able to do this. So he didn't have a pulse for at least 40 minutes?

Alexandre
(Post Master Supreme)
01/16/10 10:18 AM

That's fucked, but at 89 I am sure he had a good life.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
01/16/10 03:13 PM

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
01/17/10 12:59 AM

Ooooh man. Good job for trying.

Hatorade
(Post Master Supreme)
01/21/10 08:54 AM

Wow crazy. So you did 30mins of compressions?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
01/21/10 02:56 PM

It's extremely tiring to do properly.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
01/22/10 07:29 AM

nigga you ever going to come into the hospital during the day? shit. lol

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
01/25/10 11:33 PM

Was there today... nothing. bah!

Also, how loud do you suppose this was for the people walking through this tunnel midway through on the right? rofl... must've blown their eardrums \:D
http://www3.sympatico.ca/harrie.ng/work/MVI_1276.MOV

Lafora
(Post Master Sr)
01/26/10 09:14 AM

"how'd you know where we're going?"

your colleague can't be serious \:D

rofl @ "wooo that's loud"

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
02/02/10 11:40 AM

post removed

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
02/02/10 12:01 PM

interesting.

Lafora
(Post Master Sr)
02/02/10 07:41 PM

what's a 12 lead \:D

Alexandre
(Post Master Supreme)
02/02/10 08:36 PM

toronto east general is the worst fucking hospital in toronto (after scarb centenary). Fucking scum.

Hey, is there a way to dig up the records of an ambulance ride? I really want to know what my "record" shows of when I was picked up by an ambulance from my motorcycle accident in June 2004. I am sure there will be a lot of swearing and threats to kill people. Holla y0

C_J_Fly
(Poster)
02/02/10 10:19 PM

lol

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
02/05/10 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Lafora
what's a 12 lead \:D

It's an ECG (aka; EKG)

Astroboy93
(Post Master Jr)
02/05/10 03:16 PM

toronto east general is the worst fucking hospital in toronto (after scarb centenary). Fucking scum.

this

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
02/16/10 12:42 AM

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
02/16/10 06:38 AM

de man hav chess pain yo! lol

Alpha-Trion
(Post Master Sr)
02/16/10 08:35 AM

I guess that person got checkmated one too many times...

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
03/09/10 04:50 PM

You have a nosebleed. You call an ambulance???
This world is breeding people who don't know how to problem solve and call for other people to fix things that just make no sense.

That said, you're a 71 year old lady having chest pain with a history of heart attacks... you need an ambulance for sure... and so you call an ambulance! THAT makes sense to me!

Hi I stubbed my toe, I need to call 911.

markw
(Post Master Supreme)
04/08/10 07:47 AM

You're a 58 year old man, who has a nosebleed. You call an ambulance???

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
04/08/10 08:40 AM

what if it was an uncontrollable nose bleed ?

SiRice
(Post Master Jr)
04/10/10 12:15 PM

Are you serious? I remember I was once in the hospital getting a scan and this mother was dealing with that exact problem. The nurses pretty much gave them the "what the hell do you want me to do" look. By the time I left the hospital they were still waiting but the bleeding had stopped. I wonder what they hell they were still waiting in the hospital for. Idiots.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
04/11/10 04:04 PM

Mr Fatty
(Member)
04/12/10 04:11 PM

LOL, nice

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
04/30/10 02:02 AM

post removed

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
04/30/10 07:31 AM

wow man, great story, nice to hear those ppl and you guys came through! \:\) - heard about that story on the news....ive played rugby in HS for 2-3 yrs...crazy sport and know how it feels like to be tackled by a dude 2x your size. so did the kid get hit and that's the reason he went down and got hurt this bad? or was it him just collapsing? hopefully he makes it out ok.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
05/01/10 02:59 PM

Oh yeah!

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
05/01/10 04:41 PM

You're the indian guy, right?

;\)

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
05/03/10 03:41 PM

good show bro.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
05/23/10 06:52 AM

post removed

hyper-s2k
(Post Master Supreme)
05/24/10 01:10 PM

Congrats! If any of our nation's officials / delegates ever need a shot, make sure you find the biggest, most painful needle you can give. \:D You know what they say .. a prick for a prick \:D

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
05/25/10 09:31 AM

good show bro.

SERIOUSLY!! You make Csi proud!

c2k
(Post Master Supreme)
05/25/10 10:36 AM

Originally Posted By: hyper-s2k
Congrats! If any of our nation's officials / delegates ever need a shot, make sure you find the biggest, most painful needle you can give. \:D You know what they say .. a prick for a prick \:D

bahahahaha!!!!

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/20/10 02:02 AM

Why is this worthy of an ambulance??? And why when the hospital was literally 200m away from this location??? Problem solving people! problem solving! \:\(

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/30/10 08:29 AM

News photographer snapped these of me yesterday at the Brimley overpass for the repatriation of 2 army medics \:\)

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
06/30/10 08:38 AM

you make Mao pround LOL :P

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
06/30/10 08:54 AM

Are you tethered to the roof of that ambulance?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/30/10 09:30 AM

Um... no. omg WSIB!!! lol. It was actually pretty windy and I had to stagger my feet so I wouldn't blow off and fall on to the highway below. hahaha!

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
06/30/10 09:34 AM

Um... no. omg WSIB!!! lol. It was actually pretty windy and I had to stagger my feet so I wouldn't blow off and fall on to the highway below. hahaha!
Then what's that cable between your feet?

furball
(Post Master Sr)
06/30/10 09:45 AM

So ... With pics like that, wouldn't you have people bitching that you're on the clock, sitting around doing bum-fuck all? And, being on top of the ambulance, wouldn't ur boss be like WTF insurance won't cover that? (WSIB! LOL)

Dude, did you cut an image into the side of your head like a black dude?

Quote:

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/30/10 10:21 AM

Eddie: it's not a cable, it's two antennas (one leans forward and the other leans back) so it kinda looks like a tether. Would have been cool had he got a pic as the procession was going by cause then I would have been at attention and saluting as well as holding the flag with the other hand. I think this pic was taken as the procession came into view about a km away cause you don't salute until it's basically coming up on you \:\)

Furball: I was off duty that day, but went in and took an out-of-service ambulance out to the bridge. There was more of an EMS presence than usual because it was two medics who were killed. There were several people who came in on their day off to take part in the repatriation.
I've also been on duty and been on the bridge and gotten a call and had to leave... it sucks when that happens. I don't think anyone complains about Fire, PD or EMS being on the bridges though because you're there out of respect for someone who died... it would almost be a slap to the troops to bitch about that. haha. If you're working that day, you are not out of service to do the repat... you can always get a call.
My boss might not be very impressed with me being up on the ambulance, but here's hoping he doesn't see it \:\)

And in that pic with the trauma patient, that's actually bed-head in the shape of a Thundercat! Someone pointed it out to me and I laughed. It was just the way the hair settled after I woke up that morning! lol

Yellowjacket
(Newbie)
07/13/10 07:00 PM

I like it..you look hot. lol
Nice to see the Paramedics in toronto working sooooooooo hard!. lol i know you were off duty but hey!

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
07/31/10 10:28 PM

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
08/01/10 09:09 AM

Damn, that's like a dead on hit. WTF happened?

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
08/01/10 03:45 PM

Treed!!

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
08/01/10 10:24 PM

He said he was avoiding a squirrel

hyper-s2k
(Post Master Supreme)
08/02/10 06:45 PM

it looks like he had quite an off road excursion before hitting the tree. that tree doesn't look like it was close to the road at all.

where was this?

i need to add the obligatory remark here: "that will buff right out"

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
08/03/10 01:14 AM

And I'll add with regards to the headlights... "do they fit without held on?"

c2k
(Post Master Supreme)
08/03/10 10:08 PM

News photographer snapped these of me yesterday at the Brimley overpass for the repatriation of 2 army medics \:\)

you got the fucking balls to do that. i wouldnt even blink nor consider going anything above 1.2m w/o any fall protection gear when on the 401 overpass.

daaaaamn.

all in all, awesome pics dude. i hope you have a high res pics of it and able to print it out on a huge poster machine.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
08/05/10 08:42 AM

LOL!!! look how far the headlight flew off the civic!! hahahahahahahahahh

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
09/02/10 11:50 AM

civic13
(Post Master)
09/02/10 12:19 PM

That's fuckin' funny. Curious as to what his nationality was (Russian/Romanian)?

When and what time did you arrive at the patients address as I live in the area? \:D

Astroboy93
(Post Master Jr)
09/02/10 12:32 PM

^^ Didn't know there was a greater charge is non emergency. That is great. Need the same concept for the emergency room imo.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
09/02/10 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: civic13
That's fuckin' funny. Curious as to what his nationality was (Russian/Romanian)?

When and what time did you arrive at the patients address as I live in the area? \:D

lmao, i highly doubt a Russian person would do that (act like such scum) and on top of that call an ambulance over b.s. We just drink it off (at least i do)

Hopefully no foot in mouth for me... \:D

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
09/02/10 02:07 PM

Think Balhar

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
09/02/10 02:11 PM

phew...

In all honesty though, how do the different demographics behave when they call? black/brown/asian/white/whatever? BTW, have you had encounters with Russians, how was that?

I've been in ambulance once in '04 after my bike accident and i kept asking the guy if i will be able to walk, he kept saying he doesn't know and i kept yelling at him to kill me before going to the hospital if i will be crippled. I was ridiculous.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
09/02/10 02:36 PM

baaaaahahah.

Brown and Asian people are fucking pussies.
Brown people always say they are "paining." "I have have paining over here." "it is paining over here." For fuck's sakes... it's "it hurts over here!" And they over dramatize shit like no one's business and it makes me very mad.
Sri Lankans are no better. For whatever reason, Sri Lankans also get involved in scams for insurance money in car accidents a lot. They're pretty good at it.
Chinese people are dramatic too... they make it such a fucking production and I want to stab them in their slitty eyes.
Brown and Sri Lankans could be sitting calmly having dinner and they say they're having 10 on 10 pain. Makes my head spin. Chinese people will just try not to understand you and are very much not helpful.

White people are hit or miss. They're generally better than the others. The minute you read the chief complaint and name of the caller (en route to the call) you can almost 90% of the time predict what you're getting into. abdominal pain for a 24 y/o female and the caller is Thandathandathan and I'm already going in angry. lol

I've only dealt with one Russian and he was a prick... he drove 200km/h into a van full of church goers. lol nah... I've had a few Russians and they're actually quite good. They don't whine much at all really.

Now all that being said, there have been shitty white folks, great Chinese folks and... well, I can't really speak to the Brown and Sri Lankan folks because the people I've been to have all made me want to defibrillate myself. Not to say there aren't good folks from those cultures, I know there are... but every damn time I go... it fucking sucks.

p.s: why the FUCK do brown people say paining? I went to a call an the girl said "it's paining over here" while pointing at her side. I said "oh so it hurts there?" to which she replied "yes, it's paining here" and I said "so it HURTS"... emphasizing it. I think I did that about 10 times. I don't get it. How did "pain" become a verb?

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
09/02/10 02:40 PM

LOL the WORST are the arabs. specificly the arab women who come into the ER. they are sooo damn drama, vitals check out fine, they are here for a leg cramp or some shit, start yelling like they are about to die, lye down on the ER floor infront of triage, wont respond to security or nurses, it's only when this one DR comes out and yells at the patient "GET YOUR ASS UP OFF OF THE FLOOR!!!"

should have come to NYGH :P

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
09/02/10 02:45 PM

LOL the WORST are the arabs. specificly the arab women who come into the ER. they are sooo damn drama, vitals check out fine, they are here for a leg cramp or some shit, start yelling like they are about to die, lye down on the ER floor infront of triage, wont respond to security or nurses, it's only when this one DR comes out and yells at the patient "GET YOUR ASS UP OFF OF THE FLOOR!!!"

should have come to NYGH :P

MERP: Middle Eastern Response to Pain
I forgot about those people

civiclvr
(Post Master Sr)
09/02/10 03:17 PM

Based on my wife's experiences at work at Brampton Civic Hospital, I would definitely concur on the actions of brown people. Apparently, the ER service is so terrible at that particular hospital because they will come in for anything at all. Paining in the left foot - heart attack. A little bloated from the 3-day wedding meals - heart attack. Daughter didn't get into university and is dating a non-Hindu - heart attack.

Also, they get TONS of patients who had been waiting for and just received their health card and then have a laundry list of issues that need to be dealt with all at once.

Best of all - they bring the grandparents over, wait for their health card to come in, drop them off at the hospital, and when they are finally ready to be discharged, the children don't pick them up. They dispute the diagnosis and say they need more help, rehab, treatment, surgery (hell, it's all free anyways) and LITERALLY leave them there at the hospital. They don't take them home. In some cases, I've heard it's because there's no room at home for them to come and live. It's like a publicly funded hotel at that point.

While it may seem like I'm only picking on the brown people, it's simply the experiences that my wife has told me about working in that particular area. Can't help it if it's Bramladesh.

Chinese just pretend they can't understand you - even when someone comes in who can speak Cantonese or Mandarin. Wrong dialect of course.

SW20_MR2
(Post Master Sr)
09/02/10 03:19 PM

*Dead*

I can't say I'm surprised that yellow and brown folk are the biggest pain-ers \:D . I can't stand them in day-to-day life (ie. in public, on the roads, etc), so it's natural that they'd do the same when in an "emergency".

Astroboy93
(Post Master Jr)
09/02/10 03:28 PM

I think a big difference is with old gen fobs vs. new gen fobs. Old gen fobs are more "canadian-ized" and less likely to abuse the systems for which their taxes have paid into over the last 20+ years. Whereas new gen fobs are more likely to game the system (not all of them, just seems that way).

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
09/02/10 03:47 PM

I've been on a bit over a year now... and I've gotten much better at detecting the bullshittery.
Worst part is, the calls will say the person is unconscious, which then comes in as a high priority and subsequently tiers the Fire department. It costs like $600 to send a fire truck to a call and because they're dramatizing everything, the city pays for this.
I arrived the other day for a delta unconscious and walked in to find a girl surrounded by her family, crying babies and the girl (patient) was lying on the couch looking back at us as we entered. HOW IS THAT UNCONSCIOUS!!!??
That said, we were 95% sure that it was BS because the name was Indian. Fire pulled up with us and when we walked in and saw her laying there we told them to clear.

p.s: yes, she said she was paining.
pp.s: what I also hate is... the patient goes limp when you ask them to move... even though they were able to walk to open the door for you when you arrive.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
09/02/10 04:40 PM

^exact same shit when they come into the ER. they manage to somehow get their ass there, drive, drop off, etc etc, walk from the parking lot on the other end of the hospital, walk thru the door, then all of a sudden, they can't walk, they are totaly helpless.

i can say (even being brown myself, well more like a coconut) that brown ppl and chineese ppl are the most impatient people to ever deal with. i can tell a white guy who has severe abdominal pain, or chest pain (with a ecg that checks out ofcourse) to sit in the waiting area, and they will sit and be patient.

with brown or chineese ppl, they come in with a fucking headache or some BS, and every 5mins they are in your face again asking how much longer it will take.

i have to give the award for going into the ER for BS to chineese ppl tho. they come in for the absoulte dumbest reasons possible. a mosquito bite. a cat scratch.

i think the kicker was when this china lady brought her toddler in,says he has a fever (which he did not), bundled the kid up in like 4 layers of thick clothes, when we asked if she gave the kid tylenol, she said "no, only chineese antibiotics"

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
09/03/10 08:48 AM

well more like a coconut)

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
09/21/10 09:21 PM

A patient was (and I'll let you guess the race) riding her bicycle and got struck by a car. She was wearing a helmet thankfully. She was wearing a helmet over a fucking large Tilley hat which, when you strap the helmet to your head, causes the brim to fold down and make you go from over 180 degrees peripheral vision to about 30 degrees through basically a "tube" of brim! And she thought this was ok.
I fucking lost my shit.

That is all.

Euphoricuck
(Post Master Supreme)
09/21/10 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: civiclvr
Paining in the left foot - heart attack. A little bloated from the 3-day wedding meals - heart attack. Daughter didn't get into university and is dating a non-Hindu - heart attack.

It's like a publicly funded hotel at that point.

*dead*

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
09/22/10 11:17 PM

They need to go undercover and make a huge fucking television special about this bullshit. People wonder why they can't get into a fucking emergency room? Perfect examples in this thread.

Astroboy93
(Post Master Jr)
09/23/10 09:28 AM

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
They need to go undercover and make a huge fucking television special about this bullshit. People wonder why they can't get into a fucking emergency room? Perfect examples in this thread.

No need. Just as user fees. $200 per ER visit. The skunks will GTFO to the walk in clinic instantly.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
09/23/10 10:31 AM

wow, can't believe ppl actually run to the ER for this shit - now that i hear it's mostly chinese/indian, just makes me more

Astroboy93
(Post Master Jr)
09/23/10 10:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Screamin Civic
wow, can't believe ppl actually run to the ER for this shit - now that i hear it's mostly chinese/indian, just makes me more

I think it depends on the area. Brampton will be brown ER and Markham will be yellow ER. I grew up by East General and back in the day was full of white ppl in the ER. Skunks are everywhere.

markw
(Post Master Supreme)
09/24/10 09:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
i kept yelling at him to kill me before going to the hospital if i will be crippled. I was ridiculous.

OracerO
(Post Master Sr)
10/01/10 02:15 PM

Updates?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/04/10 10:11 AM

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
10/04/10 10:18 AM

wow, just wow i can't imagine how someone must live with that decision. I am honestly speechless, fawk.

My gf's cousin gave birth on thursday, kid was ok, brought him home and he started changing colours and his mouth was dry, rushed him to a hospital in the west end and managed to get it under control. Doc's said had they waited a day he would've died. \:\(

Something to do with the mother's milk not being compatible with the kid so they didn't know wtf was going on.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/04/10 10:28 AM

Well I for one and happy to hear the good news Vas \:\) Yikes!

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
10/04/10 10:42 AM

Jesus christ man, that's brutal. I couldn't do that job, I'd end up punching the bullshitters and crying about the innocents.

You definitely get a thumbs up from me.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
10/04/10 12:13 PM

damn =S

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
10/04/10 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Astroboy93

No need. Just as user fees. $200 per ER visit. The skunks will GTFO to the walk in clinic instantly.

So the poor people with a real medical emergency won't get any treatement? Not exactly what our universal health care system was made for.

I would suggest billing the fakers instead. Once it's proven it wasn't an emergency, like the mosquito bite, the patient gets billed $200 for wasting taxpayers dollars.

They don't pay? Instant collections agency and/or cancellation of their health card.

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
10/04/10 01:11 PM

Isn't that one symptom of brain cancer?

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
10/04/10 01:34 PM

i say up the charge even more than 200.. 200 is just for the ambulance.. but if the fire truck and police come, they should get charged more.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/04/10 01:58 PM

They do.
Ambulance is $240 if deemed not required.
Fire truck is another like $500 per truck I think.
I don't think there's additional fees for cops though.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/14/10 08:14 PM

So I was going lights and sirens across Eglinton and came up on Yonge. It's rush hour with lots of cars and pedestrians.
Everyone (cars and people alike) in all directions stop and I start to proceed through... sirens still going.

A person starts walking across and keeps going as I'm blaring on the air horn and switching the the phaser.
Upon closer look, it appears she might very well have Downs Syndrome.

Was I an ass to be so aggressive?

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
10/14/10 08:16 PM

Nope, I don't know if you have a speaker, but I'd tell them to "GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY" and do a burn out.

Just A Troll
(Post Master)
10/15/10 09:40 AM

So I was going lights and sirens across Eglinton and came up on Yonge. It's rush hour with lots of cars and pedestrians.
Everyone (cars and people alike) in all directions stop and I start to proceed through... sirens still going.

A person starts walking across and keeps going as I'm blaring on the air horn and switching the the phaser.

What's a "phaser" ?

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
10/15/10 10:54 AM

Originally Posted By: J.A.C.N.

What's a "phaser" ?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/15/10 05:17 PM

There's three different siren sounds we can make. Yelp, which is a slower siren.
Wail is about double the rate of "yelp" and phaser runs at the highest cycle of them all... about 5 times a second. It sounds really urgent. I only use when it's super urgent or if someone is an idiot in front of me.
I'm sure I have the sound recorded somewhere.

civic13
(Post Master)
10/15/10 05:37 PM

is this it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxzfYcmkkXQ

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/16/10 02:16 PM

Yes, the high cycling one (at 5 seconds in.)
You can hear all three siren tones in that clip.

I miss RainX when storms like this happen and I don't put it on the ambulance! Wipers going full tilt too.

This is one of the funniest store names I've seen in TO...

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
10/17/10 06:06 PM

Should have ran the retard over and helped the gene pool.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
10/17/10 07:07 PM

y0, that new amber lamps station that they are building at pape and o'conner, you ever moss out in the bunks there?

holla, i will have the g unit bring you a hot plate son.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/18/10 11:39 AM

That is 41 Station. It used to be a gas station and was converted to an EMS station back in the day. But in the end, it was a shit hole and the city gave us budget to tear it down and build a proper station there... under construction now.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/05/10 10:11 AM

On vacation! Today til November 29th. what to do what to do...

civic13
(Post Master)
11/05/10 10:15 AM

Nice, 3wk vacation.
Go somewhere warm....Mexico and get very special treatment \:D

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
11/05/10 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: civic13
Nice, 3wk vacation.
Go somewhere warm....Mexico and get very special treatment \:D

yea.. be recruited to be a drug mule...

3 weeks.. i'd say euro trip!

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
11/05/10 12:20 PM

Road trip. The weather is still good, pack up and head south, or west, or southwest.

You can see a lot of North America in a month.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
11/05/10 08:01 PM

FFFUUUU i want my ride along!! haha

have a good one homie.

markw
(Post Master Supreme)
11/12/10 02:48 PM

This is one of the funniest store names I've seen in TO...

lol, that's the Toronto Compassion Club upstairs, they have great green.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/17/10 06:59 PM

Interesting little article/video.

Broken elbow lady didn't need an ambulance, and rightfully should have been driven; but it does show the political and medical climate of EMS (in Detroit...) However, it's still quite reflective of EMS systems everywhere, including Toronto and other regions.

http://detnews.com/article/20100916/METRO08/9160409

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
11/17/10 09:15 PM

Do you do ride alongs? I'd love to actually experience it on a busy night.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
11/18/10 08:25 AM

Speaking of hospitals, I was at the ER at East York general today at 2 am, I had to register the person that I drove and they asked me what religion they were?

I was like WTF??????????

The fvcking up healtcare system is enough motivation for me to try and be as healthy as possible, those places make me cringe.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
11/18/10 04:13 PM

^we gotta ask because of care, say for example if someone is jewish and they don't want a blood transfusion and they get one or if some other religion says that you can't get cirtin care, the hospital can be in deep legal shit.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
11/18/10 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
Do you do ride alongs? I'd love to actually experience it on a busy night.

i'm still waiting for mine! \:\)

Kluster
(Post Master Supreme)
11/19/10 01:07 PM

I got a friend who works at the emergency in a hospital in montréal. It's also an english hospital therefor they get more foreigners (compared to other hospital). They can't refuse care to people who don't have provincial health card (regardless of province) and they probably get scammed by 1/2 patient who don't have a card/insurance/will to pay. They have the choice of either paying right away or sending the bill to collection (ie: false address). Shit tons of americans go there as well. They ask for ID but still provide care if no ID is shown.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
12/10/10 08:30 PM

What's with all the removed posts???

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/24/10 08:35 AM

Note: Don't call me because you have the Flu.

Merry Christmas

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/29/10 05:46 PM

Wow... this is an impressive (and daunting) statistic:
http://paramedictv.ems1.com/media/1559-Canadian-Paramedic-Injury-Rates/

civic13
(Post Master)
12/29/10 05:56 PM

Are you part of that stat??

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/29/10 06:32 PM

Nope... but man I definitely don't wanna be either!

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
01/02/11 08:12 PM

civic13
(Post Master)
01/02/11 08:35 PM

What was the outcome?...good/bad?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
01/27/11 12:10 PM

http://www.thestar.com/news/torontocouncil/article/927271--city-needs-90-more-paramedics-chief-says

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
02/24/11 09:32 PM

I would like to know... why is it I'm going in the opposite lanes of traffic (due to jammed up traffic and an island between the two directions... so opposing traffic is the best option) and I'm running lights and sirens; and I come up to an intersection where cars are turning into me (and majority of the cars finally see me and pull over)... but when I get to the pedestrian crossing, a guy in a van makes the turn, sees me and then proceeds to give me the "what the fuck are you doing" gesture and flips me off as though I was doing something wrong?

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
02/25/11 09:46 AM

for people like that, I will agree with calling a nearby cop car to pull him over for a talking.

mk39920
(Post Master Jr)
02/25/11 09:51 AM

I would like to know... why is it I'm going in the opposite lanes of traffic (due to jammed up traffic and an island between the two directions... so opposing traffic is the best option) and I'm running lights and sirens; and I come up to an intersection where cars are turning into me (and majority of the cars finally see me and pull over)... but when I get to the pedestrian crossing, a guy in a van makes the turn, sees me and then proceeds to give me the "what the fuck are you doing" gesture and flips me off as though I was doing something wrong?

Shit like that pisses me off when I see it, I would have some serious road rage issues if ever I drove an ambulance.

I would love to see dash cams installed. Then send tickets to drivers who don't pull over or just come to a dead stop in the left lane with a firetruck behind them.

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
02/25/11 09:54 AM

need to make all those vehicles like in mad max.. then you just plow right through idiots like that.

sometimes i wish i had a tank just to run through all the retards.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
03/04/11 10:40 PM

Holy
http://www.jstudio.ca/files/bramptoncivic.mov

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
04/14/11 09:02 PM

April 13th...approx...1700hrs..possible 355-si spotting.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
04/15/11 02:44 PM

ok after a full year, i have finally spotted 355si @ work. he was eating a KFC double down. must have gotten it on the black market.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
04/18/11 12:06 PM

Rofl... after 1 year and 11 months. Flexin must have finally recently gotten a job with NYGH! :P

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
04/18/11 01:06 PM

LOL

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
04/19/11 09:02 PM

K now he's stalking me.

and i have arm paining.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
05/03/11 09:05 PM

Didn't see you around yesterday. I was in for my last of my nights.
I'm off for 13 days now and heading to Vegas with the boys on Saturday. I'll be back to work on days (7am-7pm) on May 16th.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
05/04/11 02:24 PM

what time did you come in? i wanted to ask you how UFC was. have fun in vegas! i'll see you when your back.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
05/22/11 08:58 AM

Went to a Cardiac Arrest the other day... ambulance, 2 EMS response cars and fire.
Got the guy back and in the ambulance and started driving.
I took point in one of the response cars (the SUVs) with the ambulance in front of me.
We're going WB York Mills and turning to NB Leslie to go to North York General.

While traveling York Mills, an 18-wheeler decides to make a left-hand turn across our path. We all sorta slow down but he has gauged it right. The only thing wrong with it is we're running hot on the call so in reality, just cause you can make it in a regular situation, you really shouldn't be going at this moment.
But whatever, he goes and we're moving along... until a beige Cavalier decides to turn out from that same street (right turn) and go West on York Mills with us.
We see this enough, they turn into their appropriate lane and then stop. Truthfully, people shouldn't be turning out because it's one more "potential" obstacle to consider when we're going through the intersection, but normally they stop. This guy... goes across all the lanes into the fast lane... where WE are. Both ambulance and I slam on the brakes. Both on the air horns. What a tool.

So we get to York Mills and Leslie.
There's an island and WB YM is stopped so we get on the other side of the island into oncoming traffic... I sped up ahead of the ambulance and set a block at the intersection with the response car adn the ambulance makes the right turn and goes through... I get moving again and some pedestrian chick steps on to the road and crosses an entire lane before looking up and thinking it's a bad idea since I have yet to go through...
she stops, stutters, tries to go through... stutters, fakes to go.... turns back, turns to try again and then runs off the road back to the side walk. This whole time I'm running phasers and air horn at her... and trying not to flip her the bird.

WTF is wrong with people!?!??? lol

furball
(Post Master Sr)
05/22/11 09:28 AM

Not directly related, but some of the terminology you guys use to describe/respond to calls is entertaining to the commoner ... Shit like 'EDP' .... Had me chuckling for a bit...

(Learned it from my popo buddy)

Warning, Spoiler:
Emotionally-Disturbed Person

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/12/11 04:31 PM

Playing cricket without a helmet = not a good idea.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/18/11 07:08 PM

I was at this:
http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110618/110618_Accident/20110618/?hub=CP24Home

civic13
(Post Master)
06/18/11 08:02 PM

How did the car "flip" into the express from the collector?? Last minute decision not to go express??

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/19/11 06:07 AM

Clip of me:)
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/C...=TorontoNewHome

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
06/19/11 10:35 AM

RIP.

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
06/19/11 10:39 AM

Crazy more serious accidents happen on sunny days.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
07/22/11 03:16 PM

Just wanted to put it out there, the president of the Toronto Paramedic Association will be on CFRB1010 (on the AM band) to talk about the whole merger of fire/EMS, and most importantly, getting actual info to the public about what EMS actually does (so much has been said from Fire about what THEY do... which just reinforces the "hero worship". So this is a great chance.

It's on CFRB1010 at 5pm today if you're driving home.

Thanks guys!

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
07/22/11 03:33 PM

noted.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
07/22/11 04:32 PM

Bah, he prefaced it... there'll be a debate on Monday on 1010 at 5pm.

C J Fly
(Post Master Sr)
08/18/11 09:32 PM

I just found out today that was my co-workers sister you brought to the hospital... \:\(

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
09/06/11 02:42 PM

Guy goes to get a massage at 1am, gets robbed and pistol whipped (LOLs in order) and found by EMS and police shirtless and bleeding from the top of his head.
Tells them to take him to a certain hospital because he told his WIFE that he was going there.
As it turns out, he also has a kid.

Karma's a biiiiiiiiitch! \:D

Yellowjacket
(Newbie)
09/11/11 07:03 PM

Bahahahahahahaha...what an idiot...I hope she pistol whips him..rofl

Cozmo
(Post Master Sr)
09/11/11 08:27 PM

Just wanted to put it out there, the president of the Toronto Paramedic Association will be on CFRB1010 (on the AM band) to talk about the whole merger of fire/EMS, and most importantly, getting actual info to the public about what EMS actually does (so much has been said from Fire about what THEY do... which just reinforces the "hero worship". So this is a great chance.

It's on CFRB1010 at 5pm today if you're driving home.

Thanks guys!

I dunno I think the firefighters (and police to some extent) earn that worship, with more then just "on the job" performance....I see a huge difference in the people that are in these services...I take my boy to any fire station or police station and the firemen and officers always take time, show them around, talk to them, answer questions, let them sit in a car or truck...see some fireman or officer at an event, and they'll chat with the kids show em the truck or the car...try the same thing at an ambulance station, or with EMS folks at an event, and they are one second away from spitting on you and telling you to fuck off...

I value the job you all do, and hope to god you get there quick if I ever need it, but when comes to being part of the community you service, in my experience EMS workers are arrogant douche bags with no time for anyone. So when you make it to President of the Paramedic Association, might want to trickle down some community love, would go a long way to putting you on the same perceived heroic field as Fire and Police services

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
09/11/11 10:44 PM

I agree that if you go to an EMS station you're not going to get much of the same thing as the other two.

For one, Fire fighters have the time to give tours. They don't do nearly as many calls as police and EMS so it's there as a service. Also, everyone wants to go to a fire hall and see the trucks, I know I did when I was a kid.
In addition, Fire Fighters are learned from probie school to further the cause of the profession because that's a huge part of the tradition.

As for the police, they're busier than we are but all police stations are staffed all the time so there's someone there who can at least show a cop car that is sitting outside.

The likelihood of seeing an ambulance in a station that is staffed isn't likely so you won't be getting any tours.
I've never had anyone come to my station looking to get a tour of to see an ambulance. Unfortunately Cozmo, I have to say that you really aren't going to get any tours or stickers from EMS because we're out doing calls.
Police are too... but again, their stations are staffed 24/7, while ours are only staffed with crews for the ambulance and those ambulances are always out.

I'm sorry if you may have had a bad experience with EMS if you've ever gone to a station. It's not reflective of all of us.
Again, you just said seeing fire and police at events. They have VEHICLES for those events. We don't. In a city the size of Toronto, there's only 80 ambulances for the whole place during peak hours from Monday to Friday. That's 160 paramedics. Tell me you don't see a problem with that.
We just hit 246,000 calls today, and it's only September 11th. There's still the better part of 1/3 of the year to go.
It's a busy place here... and the call numbers are getting higher because of the aging population.

But that said, the reason I posted that bit about the hero worship is because everyone thinks that medical calls can be serviced by fire fighters because Fire makes a point of saying what they're capable of doing... and EMS doesn't (we have no PR). So the layman thinks that what Fire does is what we do, so why bother having medics.
It's not about being a hero. I sure didn't do this to be anyone's hero. But it's more about the public knowing about what we do. It's not just a bed and a ride... it's not just CPR and defibrillation. There's so much more... it's a mobile ICU.

No medic became a medic to get worshipped or get hero status. In fact, they don't care. They're there to help people and nothing else. There's no stroking of the penis or extending their feathers to look pretty. It's not pretty. It's an ugly and dirty job and we want to do it... but we definitely don't need finances being pulled away for dumb reasons. Supply the appropriate money to us so we can actually take care of the people in the city.

We're the newest of the three emergency services, only about 30 years old. And in the capacity that a paramedic can work now... only really about 15 years.
This is about letting people know the extent of what we do... not about getting hero badges or anything like that. I hope you don't think that was what it was for.

EDIT: "EMS workers" as you say... that's exactly what I mean. Because the people who are blazing to a call lights and sirens in the ambulance aren't EMS workers. They're not Ambulance drivers either. They're paramedics. Just like how a firefighter isn't a "Fire worker" and the police aren't some other name. It's the trade. The trade is so diluted and this is why more needs to be done by us... to inform the public. But you said it, and I'm just pointing it out.

mk39920
(Post Master Jr)
10/06/11 07:55 PM

Guy goes to get a massage at 1am, gets robbed and pistol whipped (LOLs in order) and found by EMS and police shirtless and bleeding from the top of his head.
Tells us to take him to a certain hospital because he told his WIFE that he was going there.
As it turns out, he also has a kid.

Karma's a biiiiiiiiitch! \:D

Ummm where was he?

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
10/07/11 10:49 AM

maybe its time to spend some money to have a specific group of people to do PR?.. maybe semi-retired ppl..

free zaps from the defibulator!

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
10/20/11 10:06 PM

I worked the CN Tower stair climb tonight. From 4:30pm to 10pm.

I was stationed at the 92nd floor and when the last person went by me, I had the option of either taking the emergency elevator back down or just going all the way up.
I decided, for shits n' giggles, to see what that would be like. 52 floors with full EMS bags (somewhere in the range of a total of 45lbs. No cardiac monitor)
Omg... so painful. 9m40s to do those 52 floors. I died. hahaha.

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
10/21/11 11:15 AM

LMAO

Yellowjacket
(Newbie)
10/23/11 08:24 PM

GOOD FOR YOU!!!lol thats not a bad time though!

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/22/11 05:47 PM

Funny story from one of the guys... kinda gross!

Recently, I had a patient with chest pain. He was an older gentleman who, like most patients, was completely naked and on the third floor of his home. He had knee surgery and couldn't walk down the stairs. I commented that perhaps he should move to another floor if he can't walk, but he didn't see why as we'll be carrying him anyway. We set up the stairchair, which is used to carry people down stairs in a sitting position. One person holds the bottom and the other holds the top; meaning one person holds the chair where the patient's ankles are and the other holds the chair at the patient's shoulders. When I wrap the sheet around him, his skin crinkles and sloughs off. He has the driest skin of anyone I've ever seen. His psoriasis is so bad that there are piles of his skin collecting in the sheets. You know how in dandruff commercials, they show the dandruff accumulating on a black shirt to make it noticeable? His flaking skin would be noticeable on the Glad Garbage Man if he were standing in a field of snow.

Due to his knee surgery, he couldn't bend his knees which, for the person at the bottom, made the stair chair a less than enjoyable experience. This may be a cartoon moment and I should enlist the help of Vince, but imagine that the person holding the bottom of the stairchair has the patient's legs unbent, going past his head. So the patient's knees are basically on either side of my partner's ears. Now imagine my partner's view...

Anyway, we get him to the ambulance without incident. I'm in the back with him and he's now strapped into the stretcher. It was cold that day, so I turned on the heater. The heater in any ambulance is very powerful. It is meant to heat the ambulance up fast, and it does. There is no 'low', it is either blasting or it isn't. Actually, there is another setting, but it is more of an 'incredibly high'. So you have 'high' and 'incredibly high'. The point is that there is no low or medium.

Ok, most people have heard that you should never cut a down coat or vest in the back of the ambulance because it will, literally, fill the back with feathers. Some people don't believe it and do it anyway, A certain level 2 at 40 has a good story about a nurse cutting a jacket in hospital after he warned her not to. I've never done it. I've heard the stories, taken them as the cautionary tales that they were meant to be, and learned from them.

Unfortunately, I didn't make the connection to my situation with this current patient. As soon as I turned on the heater, the fans started blowing and stirred this man's piles of dead skin into a swirling tornado of white. I couldn't see anything as I suffered a white-out in the back of the ambulance. It was like being in a giant glass snow-globe of dandruff. I pull my shirt up over my face like I was in a cowboy movie where a dust storm suddenly hits. If it wasn't for seeing Hidalgo, I'd be dead now. I feel like the guy who dies in the grain silo at the end of Witness. Holding my breath, blinded by skin particles, I stumbled around clawing at the walls trying to find the off switch. Occasionally, my job sucks. FML.

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
11/23/11 01:51 PM

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
11/23/11 02:09 PM

Yellowjacket
(Newbie)
11/29/11 07:51 PM

LMAO

Jehson
(Poster)
11/30/11 12:41 AM

Actually, in that case, it blows...

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
11/30/11 02:48 PM

LOL was it the same partner? i gotta make fun of him when he comes in again..hahaha

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/20/11 05:58 PM

Fucking really???
"...deputy mayor Doug Holyday says the city can't afford to treat paramedics the same as police, fire or the TTC"

If I was Mayor, I would rescind the designation off TTC as essential. Wanna cut costs? stop paying the booth guy $100,000/year

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/12/19/toronto-essential-ems.html

f22b-dohc
(Post Master Supreme)
01/24/12 05:37 PM

know anything that happened today at stephanie st?

Choco 'Nuck
(Post Master Supreme)
01/25/12 12:15 PM

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1120...quest-told?bn=1

Quote:
It took 35 minutes and three 911 calls before emergency workers began rescue efforts for a man dying of a heart attack in the lobby of a downtown apartment building, a coroner’s inquest heard Tuesday.

The first two 911 calls were assigned a low priority, even though James Hearst, 59, had a history of serious heart problems, government lawyer Stefania Fericean said in her opening remarks at an inquest into Hearst’s death.

She noted that paramedics arrived earlier on the evening of June 25, 2009, but chose to stand by around the corner from his Alexander St. apartment building and wait for a police escort while a security guard and passersby tried unsuccessfully to save Hearst.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
01/28/12 01:39 PM

Unfortunately, I can't really comment on it... but I will say this, a history of heart doesn't make it a high priority call, especially when the initial info has to do with bleed from head (which a lot of times is a little cut on the forehead type of injury.)

The number of times I see "serious bleed" and show up and it has stopped is unreal.
I'm not going to back up the medics or dispatchers... I'm just addressing the middle paragraph there.

f22b-dohc
(Post Master Supreme)
02/01/12 04:37 PM

apparently we had a jumper in the building....

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
02/09/12 04:19 PM

Saw my Mom driving to work this morning... pulled up next to her and waved like an idiot and she gave me the typical Mom look... "you're an idiot..."
Then I turned the lights and sirens on and blasted her out of the way for fun. lol.

civic13
(Post Master)
02/09/12 05:18 PM

Lol \:D

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
02/29/12 08:34 AM

Almost saw some people fucking die...

Sitting first at the red light facing West, watching a Firetruck coming east. Lights and sirens and air horn blaring.
All traffic stops.
Some car (beige corolla) going north and turning westbound (directly into path of fire truck) makes the turn and my eye balls go huge. The fire truck is in the oncoming lane (the lane they're turning into) and the ground is wet and the car was turning like it was open road. It was so close I honestly thought it was gonna happen. They swerved and got out of the way but fuck... so close!!!!!

Fucking idiots.

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
02/29/12 08:36 AM

there should be a system where you can get people like that pulled over, and charged with something.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
03/01/12 07:58 PM

Head-on into a firetruck at 40km/h... gee wonder who'll win?

Yellowjacket1
(Newbie)
03/01/12 08:04 PM

im guessing the truck...it would have been something to see though...i thought for sure whoever was in that car was a goner.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
03/05/12 11:23 AM

355, did the firetruck you saw come to a stop at the red light?

This seems somewhat relevant.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1141...-red-light?bn=1

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
03/05/12 02:04 PM

if the firetruck was turning at the intersection, it definitely was not going "fast" IMO.

I remember that day, cause I went down to heartland to buy something and was wondering WTF is up with all the traffic on a sunday.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
03/06/12 11:58 AM

The firetruck wasn't even at the intersection yet.
It was ab out 30 meters from the line and was slowing down... the car made the left right into it's path at probably something like 40km/h.
The truck was close enough that everyone else at the intersection heard it and stopped. But he was still 30 meters away from where he would be required to stop.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
03/06/12 12:01 PM

Next up, I just wanna say...
How do you go to your family Doctor, because you have a fever and a cough... get prescribed medicine to fix the issue... and then go home and call 911 to take you to the hospital by ambulance!????

What is the emerg going to do? they're going to sit there and say "I don't understand why you're here... you know what the problem is and you the medicine to fix it!!!"

I want to shoot people quite often.

And finally.. how do people not know what it's like the have a fever?
"I feel so hot"
"you have a fever... and you have your blankets on which will make it worse."
"but sometimes I feel so cold"
"again... you have a fever and that's what happens to the body."

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
03/06/12 12:05 PM

Dude, share some happy stories with us some time.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
03/07/12 11:19 AM

I saved an old lady who went into respiratory arrest last night \:\)

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
03/07/12 11:28 AM

I saved an old lady who went into respiratory arrest last night \:\)
nice job.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
03/07/12 11:31 AM

Eddie, to get back to the status quo...
I went to a girl in her twenties who had a nose bleed and called 911. A NOSE BLEED

Sadly, this is the majority of calls that we do... not so happy lol

C J Fly
(Post Master Sr)
03/07/12 10:14 PM

Didn't you help deliver a baby roadside a few nights ago?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
03/21/12 05:17 PM

40 year old Female, bleeding from vagina, on her period... 911!

36, male, walked into glass of revolving door. Bump to head... AMBULANCE!!!

wtf

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
03/22/12 07:48 AM

wow - has pussification of our society really reached this idiotic level????

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
03/22/12 08:17 AM

What's the big deal? Sounds like they were having a lot of paining.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
05/07/12 03:39 PM

Recent conversation of a colleague with a fully dressed male in his early 50's who has no mobility issues and is lying in bed in a reasonably nice apartment and hasn't been feeling well for a few days:
Me- "Ok, Sir, get out of bed and we'll go to the hospital."
Patient- "Can I just go to the bathroom first?"
Me- "Of course." Patient starts grunting in bed. "Sir, what are you doing?"
Patient- "I just need to go poo before we go to the hospital." continues grunting.
Me - "You're not going poo right now are you? Go use the toilet."
Patient- camly "No, I'm okay. I'll just do it here." resumes grunting.
Me- "No. Get out of bed! Go take your clothes off"
Patient- "Really, I don't mind."
Me- "I do."
Patient- "You don't have to clean me up, I'm fine."
Me- "Well, they don't want to clean you up at the hospital either. Just use a toilet."
Patient- "I'm too tired to get to the toilet."
Me- "I'll help you."
Patient- "Its okay, I don't have to go anymore."
Me- "Yes you do, let's go to the toilet before we leave."
Patient- "Nope, the feeling is gone. Let's just go to the hospital."
Me- "For the love of all creatures great and small and in the name of all things holy, please go use a toilet before we go to the hospital."

FML

Yellowjacket1
(Newbie)
05/16/12 09:31 AM

Bahahahahahahahahaha

A2B-Lexus
(Post Master Supreme)
05/16/12 09:48 AM

shitty story.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/20/12 08:35 AM

Man comes up to ambulance while sitting at Bedford and Bloor. Knocks on window and says...
Man "hey, I have a question... I've been walking around all day today and I've been drinking lots and lots of water. I haven't done any exercise at all, but I just can't stop sweating! Why is that??"

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
06/20/12 09:07 AM

aliens

oranjizz
(Post Master)
06/20/12 01:14 PM

so do people get charged if the call is frivolous?

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/20/12 04:37 PM

It wasn't a call. We were sitting at the intersection on a standby and some guy rapped on my window and asked us that question.
And no, everyone is charged $45 for an ambulance to take them to the hospital. I think it should be more... or something should be done to curb the abuse (again, not this most recent story...)

spnx
(Post Master Sr)
06/21/12 08:19 AM

And I hate seeing the opposite.

Ambulance is run for profit by a private company out here.

I don't know how many times I've had people with life-threatening injuries - but can't afford the $500 + trip. I have to wait for them to lose consciousness. Then I phone for transport. Then they get charged anyway.

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
06/21/12 08:40 AM

don't remember if I was charged the fee when I needed an ambulance...

but IMO, it should be more.. like $150-250 for non-emergency calls.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
06/21/12 03:51 PM

It's $240 if the Dr at the EMRG deems it "not requiring an ambulance."
However, Doctors hardly ever tick that box off on their paperwork so everyone just pays the $45. I think that's BS too... gives people reason to call the ambulance for no reason without reprecussions.

ankh
(Newbie)
08/27/12 11:25 PM

congrats!

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
08/28/12 07:48 AM

wtf

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
09/19/12 08:54 AM

Who calls an ambulance for their 4 year old daughter with a bleeding nose because she's been picking it????

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
09/19/12 09:00 AM

wow.....

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
09/19/12 09:05 AM

And this was the second time they called 911... the first time, it was for the SAME THING just 3 hours before!!!

phoenixrage
(Post Master Supreme)
09/19/12 10:40 AM

these people should be billed for the time IMO.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
11/03/12 08:37 PM

We're at Mister Safety Shoes, at Kennedy Commons.
My partner has a boot slip for new boots. She's been wearing the same ones for 2 years and they're pretty beat up.

She's trying them on, and we get a call... off we go.
After the call, we come back and she continues where she left off.
Some 50 year old white man comes over and says "you know you're blocking the Fire lane..."
We're parked right in front of the store...
He then says "you're block the Fire lane... while you're shopping..."

SERIOUSLY!???

My partner's diplomatic response was "Sir, we're on duty and I'm here getting my new issue of footwear. If we get a call, we need to get to the ambulance quickly."

Personally, I wanted to say "if there's a Fire here, we'll be here anyways!"
Or... "it says Fire lane... but it's an emergency vehicle lane."

I don't know, it rubbed me the wrong way.

Veilside01
(Post Master Supreme)
11/06/12 06:35 PM

wtf

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
11/06/12 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Veilside01
wtf

She's paining.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
01/18/13 02:48 PM

GNSP:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/ar...ushi-restaurant

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
01/24/13 11:00 PM

Yeah, I heard about this.
He is in bad shape as there've been complications with surgery.

Also, I hate how our department downplays everything. "paramedics rarely get injured."
Paramedics have the highest injury rate of all the emergency services... something like 25% are injured in some way (often back.) I myself have been injured and required comp in the past.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
03/08/13 10:03 AM

Answer me this.. You hurt your hand in a car accident in front of a downtown hospital... You can walk and have no obvious injuries.
So you call 911 and ask me to take you to hospital, and I drive you 30 meters to the one you're right in front of????

4age
(Post Master Sr)
03/08/13 10:09 AM

LOL!
The underlying theme of this thread: "There is no hope for the human race"

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
03/28/13 05:49 PM

Called my first 10-2000. Means paramedic down/imminent threat.

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
03/28/13 06:22 PM

Called my first 10-2000. Means paramedic down/imminent threat.

THE DETAILS ARE OVERWHELMING, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
03/28/13 08:58 PM

Drunk psych person decided they wanted to kick the shit out of us on Queen Street in full view of the public . The entire 14 Division showed up, along wish 2 ambulances, 2 EMS response SUVs and a superintendent.
I was shaking after. Adrenaline should not jump that high that fast. Can't be healthy lol.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
03/29/13 12:53 AM

Spotted you on Queen West of Bathurst this afternoon around 6:00, heading Westbound? Riding shotgun.

C J Fly
(Post Master Sr)
04/12/13 10:19 PM

http://youtu.be/2eqk0e5J0pM

@ 3:00 \:D

just found this

Risky Business
(Post Master Supreme)
04/12/13 11:50 PM

Fuck, i had goosebumps throughout the whole thing.

Is that really Csi at 3:00???

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
04/18/13 06:38 AM

omg haha.
That image has made it into 2 youtube videos apparently.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
07/29/13 05:21 AM

What 25 year old calls 911 at 4am because he is nauseous???

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
09/02/13 07:36 PM

I would like to know...
You are nauseated. You've vomited.
You call an AMBULANCE...???
And to add to it, you live 523 meters from Scarborough Grace Hospital.
And then, when I pull up (7 minute response time) you are in your car saying you'll go yourself because I took too long.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING!???

I pointed at the hospital which was visible from where we were and said "hospital's right there."

I just don't fuckin' get society.

4Three
(Post Master Sr)
09/02/13 07:46 PM

they just wanted to check you out in your handsome uniform. seriously tho, this is why you don't get to have your meals at regular hours and why there's a feeling that there aren't enough EMS on the road ... bullshit calls.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
10/02/13 09:14 PM

^and then when someone actually needs an ambulance they have to wait...because of asshats like that.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/12/13 11:17 PM

I gave someone an early Christmas present today.

My partner booked off so I was by myself. I was hoping for a fire fighter day for the rest of shift but I got a high priority call so I went on my own.

Basically, it was a 50s man having what he described as abdominal pain.
He ended up going into a conscious V-Tach and then arrested on me. Another crew arrived to give me a hand and we shocked him back.
He said he thought he was sleeping. We said "well, you kinda were..."
Then he went into the funky rhythm again and arrested again.
We shocked a few times and did CPR...
He came back to us.

Got him in the ambulance and took off.
Turns out he's going to be fine. Makes me happy \:\)

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
12/13/13 07:50 AM

good kill...er, wait, good save! \:D

fatredcircIe
(Jr Member)
12/13/13 07:54 AM

How do you work solo? Do you get to take the ambulance solo, if so, how do you transport a high priority and tend to them at the same time? Or do you just stabilize until another crew arrives?

Euphoricuck
(Post Master Supreme)
12/13/13 08:30 AM

last time I needed(not personally) an amberlamps a solo guy showed up. He just tried assess and stabilize before others showed up.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
12/13/13 08:33 AM

I can assess and treat... just can't transport.

We have Response Cars (which are the SUVs that say "ERU" on them) and in my case, I still had my ambulance, just no partner. So I drove to the call and then did the call until a transport unit arrived.
In this case, we all got in my ambulance and went to the hospital because it was a really dynamic call.

In my case, I gave ASA, IV and morphine after determining he was having "the Big One." My ECG determined that.

Euphoricuck
(Post Master Supreme)
12/13/13 08:55 AM

I hope to never need a response car. ugh

fatredcircIe
(Jr Member)
12/13/13 09:25 AM

That's mind boggling. Dead...zap... you're alive!....dead...zap.. you're alive!

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
05/01/14 08:05 AM

"I called an ambulance because I don't want to pay for parking (at the hospital). It's expensive"

spd-dmn
(Post Master)
05/01/14 08:18 AM

^^^ person should get the full med transport bill for that kind of frivolous call

what is it, 400?

wheres your parking savings now

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
05/01/14 08:42 AM

"I called an ambulance because I don't want to pay for parking (at the hospital). It's expensive"

I didn't know you worked in Brampton now.

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
05/01/14 11:32 AM

^Bahahah.
the run is that posing for the day at the hospital maxes out at less than the ambulance... And then they still need to make their way home. So they lose.

f22b-dohc
(Post Master Supreme)
05/01/14 12:36 PM

wonder if you took the call. someone from our office had to call an ambulance (yonge and king) and was transported to st michaels LOL -

monday morning..
fainting

-that's like a 5 min walk

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
05/17/14 11:38 PM

Avicii is single handedly shutting down Toronto, York, Peel and Durham.

Euphoricuck
(Post Master Supreme)
05/18/14 12:56 PM

Those kids are idiots

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
05/19/14 12:59 AM

Everyone was affected last night. So busy. Ridiculous.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
05/19/14 02:09 AM

Ravers

355-Si
(Post Master Sr)
05/19/14 03:14 PM

"Do you want paid duty paramedics from Toronto EMS on site?"
organizers answer "no".
WTF???

LNXGUY
(Post Master Supreme)
05/19/14 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: f22b-dohc
wonder if you took the call. someone from our office had to call an ambulance (yonge and king) and was transported to st michaels LOL -

monday morning..
fainting

-that's like a 5 min walk

Someone called the ambulance because someone fainted?

fatredcircIe
(Jr Member)
06/01/14 08:01 AM

With the DVP/Gardner shutdown with the ride for heart, how do you get to downtown hospitals from uptown? Side streets, or do they still route you onto the dvp/gardner?

always wondered...