2000CheetahStud
(Post Master Supreme)
11/30/04 08:17 PM
Idea that probably wont work but Im asking anyways...

Could I put a 99-00 Si Front Rotor/Caliper in the BACK? Just a little upgrade... Lemme know. How hard would it be? Worth it? How much would it cost?

Thanks,
Matt

kato7997
(Sr Member)
12/01/04 08:47 AM
Re: Idea that probably wont work but Im asking anyways...

Well assuming you could...I would hope you plan to upgrade the fronts...that would totally throw off your brake bias...

2000CheetahStud
(Post Master Supreme)
12/01/04 10:06 AM

Hmmph... bah, just an idea anyways.

Thanks,
matt

KDoGx504
(Post Master Sr)
12/01/04 12:25 PM

never thought of it that way...LoL

i went with an integra rear disc..

Solscud007
(Poster)
12/01/04 12:53 PM

No i dont think ti would work. I too was thinking of having vented rotors in teh back. I think you just wouldnt need it

Bjorn
(Post Master Sr)
12/01/04 08:07 PM

depends on how far the caliper has to be from the spindle (rotor diameter), the rotor offset, thickness, etc. - I don't know the thicknesses offhand, but I'd imagine you can't use the stock rear caliper, which means custom work, which is a bitch.

btw - you do know that rotor diameter itself doesn't add brake torque, but the distance the CALIPER is placed from the spindle does?

Runnin@Redline Jr
(Post Master Sr)
12/01/04 10:06 PM

Quote:

btw - you do know that rotor diameter itself doesn't add brake torque, but the distance the CALIPER is placed from the spindle does?

true, but a larger force closer (better calipers, pads, brake pressure) to the center is just the same as less further away.

2000CheetahStud
(Post Master Supreme)
12/02/04 08:18 AM

Whoa...this is gettin too advanced for me. Haha. Ill let you all go on though...

matt

H0n6aC1v1cS1
(Jr Member)
12/02/04 03:24 PM

Quote:

So the further the calipers are from the center of the rotors, the more braking power you get?

Runnin@Redline Jr
(Post Master Sr)
12/02/04 03:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So the further the calipers are from the center of the rotors, the more braking power you get?

assuming everything else stays constant, yes

but like many things, once you start messing around, more things change

Bjorn
(Post Master Sr)
12/02/04 04:16 PM

Quote:

yes - just like using a 1/2" breaker bar vs. a 1/4" ratchet, longer handle=more torque. The rotor, in theory, only has to be as big as the area that the pad sweeps. Redline also brings up an interesting point - bigger caliper + smaller rotor = smaller caliper + big rotor - you could, with very careful selection (and countless hours and $), use a bigger caliper and smaller rotor to keep the same unpnsprung weight, but have a lower moment of inertia - of course all the math involved and the serious pain in the ass factor rules this out

maybe go to a junkyard w/ some verniers and check out different cars' brakes and see what you could make fit