jodyjr1980
(Newbie)
04/06/07 05:28 AM
Using NOS w/ Out shortning engine life dramaticlly?

What is the biggest shot that someone can use regularly w/out shortning the life of their engine, by a whole lot?

For Instance, Is there a formula that is good as a, "general rule of thumb", mabey like 25HP for every stock 100HP your engine has or is there some other way to calculate the highest "recomended" or "engine safe" shot?

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appereciated, Please also explain why your numbers are safe, or how you came up with your answer, or were the information comes from. Thanks!!!

ScottStaypuff
(Post Master Supreme)
04/06/07 05:44 PM
Re: Using NOS w/ Out shortning engine life dramaticlly?

On a stock engine most nitrous manufacturers recommend no more than 25hp per cylinder. A 75hp shot on a four cylinder is way safe. Just ask around about the "other" things your car may need, colder plugs, maybe a high volume fuel pump, etc.

For the record I did a 100 shot on my Neon with lots of bolt ons and cams and was fine for over two years. I used a progressive controller though.

TeamFreshstyles
(Poster)
04/17/07 10:10 PM
Re: Using NOS w/ Out shortning engine life dramaticlly

If you tune the car properly, you can run a big shot on a 4cyl. there isnt a set equation I know of. But I do know that its recommended not to run more than a 75 shot on 4cyls that are not set up for boost, 150shot on a V6, and V8+s are pretty much open game but even they have a limit. But remember, these are for stock internals

civicflnum1
(Newbie)
04/22/07 08:53 PM

You cant go by how high of a shot. It doesnt work that way. Its hard to say how long it will last but look at it this way. a 100shot could last as long as a 200 shot with a progressive controller. When the nitrous is engaged it creates a lot of cylinder pressure and that is what usually causes an engine to fail. With a progressive controller it ramps the nitrous in so there isnt such a large "hit". Even though you are running twice the amount of nitrous it could be just as safe.

If you want to use just a nitrous kit and dont want to use a progressive controller or any thing then start off with a 50 or 75 shot. But run colder plugs, a better fuel pump, go with a wet kit, and use a WOT switch and a window switch.

Just check the plugs....they will tell you everything.

Hope that helps.

BTW i am not saying use a 200 shot if you have a progressive controller i was just using it as an example.

Trent

del_slo
(Post Master Sr)
06/14/07 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: civicflnum1
You cant go by how high of a shot. It doesnt work that way. Its hard to say how long it will last but look at it this way. a 100shot could last as long as a 200 shot with a progressive controller. When the nitrous is engaged it creates a lot of cylinder pressure and that is what usually causes an engine to fail. With a progressive controller it ramps the nitrous in so there isnt such a large "hit". Even though you are running twice the amount of nitrous it could be just as safe.

If you want to use just a nitrous kit and dont want to use a progressive controller or any thing then start off with a 50 or 75 shot. But run colder plugs, a better fuel pump, go with a wet kit, and use a WOT switch and a window switch.

Just check the plugs....they will tell you everything.

Hope that helps.

BTW i am not saying use a 200 shot if you have a progressive controller i was just using it as an example.

Trent

this guy knows what he is talkin about.... 4 cylinders also make more vibrations than other motors with more cylinders (common sense)...and an N20 motor usually pops right when u engage the nitrous from the "shock" of that extra 75 or so extra ft. lbs..... decrease the shock = less wear

TechLs1
(Newbie)
07/04/08 07:33 PM

50hp/cylinder is a good enough gain for me. thanks for the info guys, i have been wondering about this for a while.

SPDRSR1
(Post Master Jr)
07/09/08 10:22 AM

I think the highest I ran on my 00 Si was 175...but I had titanium internals, colder plugs, cams, and the most important...fuel pump and fuel press. safety switch. Do it right before you run juice and you can run as much as you want

del_slo
(Post Master Sr)
07/09/08 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: SPDRSR1
I think the highest I ran on my 00 Si was 175...but I had titanium internals, colder plugs, cams, and the most important...fuel pump and fuel press. safety switch. Do it right before you run juice and you can run as much as you want

Titanium internals???