Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8797144 - 09/22/16 11:12 AM runners that cant run much: will biking make my run faster?
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: State, Country, etc.
In a running down-cycle w/hip injury currently my run mileage will need to be greatly reduced most likely the rest of the year.

Can I continue to get 'faster' as a runner by mostly biking?

Eg swap 50 mpw biked and 25 mpw run for 100 mpw biked [w/intervals/hills] and 10 mpw run?

Trying to race father time to a sub 20 5K [if not sub 19] \:\|

I've read anecdotes of cyclists that are at/near pro level that can hop off a bike and run a 17 something 5k off of 0 mpw run

I suppose I could just PM nato... hey nato? How fast is your 5k? Is it like 17-18:00 or something or what?

other datapoint: Gwen Jorgensen has dropped an Oly qualifying 10k at the end of a tri a couple times already [<32:25], but normally races for the win only obviously so we dont see this too often. She runs approx 30 mpw lol, but considers biking her weakness so will do 200 ish there in season.

Bike more to be a faster runner? Obviously this is hobby jogger level only, I'm sure to get truly fast [<17 5k ?] you actually have to run.

http://trailrunnermag.com/component/content/article/658-maybe-it-is-about-the-bike

#8800133 - 09/25/16 09:49 AM Re: runners that cant run much: will biking make my run faster? [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
I doubt it.
You're talking about professional athletes who were born with a gift for high performance that you and I could never know. They would likely excel at any sport they decided to try.

Of course you'll be able to maintain a good amount of aerobic fitness, but I don't see you improving your times from it.

Edited by Mrs. Ironmom (09/25/16 09:53 AM)

#8800789 - 09/26/16 11:54 AM Re: runners that cant run much: will biking make my run faster? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I bike a lot, but I use it as a lower impact/longer duration cardio vs running. I don't think it would improve my running at all.

#8800798 - 09/26/16 11:59 AM Re: runners that cant run much: will biking make my run faster? [Re: Impulsive]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Replacing 15mpw of running for 50mpw of cycling won't do it.

My thought is the only way you COULD see this benefit is too add a very aggressive cycling regiment. In that case, the total cardio benefit could outweigh the loss of specific run-training. But you'd have to train harder than I think you're comfortable with.

I think there's a point where you could pick up a little extra cardo, and then once you resume running you sort of leverage that into running.

If anything your biggest weakness at 5km is not enough experience. Learning the distance/specific pain is probably a bigger limit than pure cardio.

#8800832 - 09/26/16 12:35 PM Re: runners that cant run much: will biking make my run faster? [Re: ]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: State, Country, etc.
damnit. Oh well did a bit over 100 miles this week on the bike[including a couple intervals and a nice hill climb], about ~7m run

I dont have much choice in the matter fwiw

worst case is it improves my bike split a little while I'm in "cant run" mode

The only personal anecdote I have is I 'entered' life as a runner right around a 30:00 5k ~3 years ago, with a bit of a 'biking' base [1500 miles/year maybe at most for a couple years]. I think for an otherwise sedentary person, thats a valid datapoint that biking helps running. then again, its a common entry point for people that are at least somewhat active /do more than walk a dog once a day or something

anyways this may be a pointless post/exercise as as soon as I am able, I will return to running

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads