Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8577281 - 03/04/16 08:17 AM Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

yea...about that

I am in about $2.5K with my home gym now, final touches were a new flat screen, chromecast, and dedicated laptop (mostly for my cycling). I have been working out in it on and off for 8 months and basically had a mini melt down. I just said "fuck it" I need a change of scenery, maybe it has something to do with the winter blues or stress from work, I don't know. I felt like a caged animal, it's possible that the space I have is only about 150-200 sq. ft.

I will keep the equipment as I think it will be useful down the road for supplemental lifting when I don't have time for the gym.

Back story to this home gym, my part of the city is severely underserviced when it comes to gyms. The closest goodlife to me is 5 minutes away in a mall parking lot where finding parking is about 10 minutes and then you wait for free weights, that lasted about a month until I quit and started buying equipment. Recently a warehouse/garage type joint opened up even closer to me in an industrial area, a fellow csier goes there, checked with him and it seems to be the total opposite of goodlife, no wallies, 24/7 access, no chit chat, just straight lift and gtfo.

Signed up last night, went in today at 7am and it was just myself and the cleaner Love the red walls

#8577288 - 03/04/16 08:20 AM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: Risky Business]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

#8577569 - 03/04/16 11:34 AM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: ]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Not bad. I don't think I could routinely visit a gym as it's just too time consuming, though when on the road for work (almost never now), I like it because there are no time constraints.

We had plans to get a gym at work, but they economy cut that short for the next 1-2 years at least. I'd love to do a 45 minute lunch workout. I could combine that with running/biking to work, that would cut a lot of time off my day.

#8577578 - 03/04/16 11:41 AM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: Impulsive]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Impulsive
Not bad. I don't think I could routinely visit a gym as it's just too time consuming, though when on the road for work (almost never now), I like it because there are no time constraints.

We had plans to get a gym at work, but they economy cut that short for the next 1-2 years at least. I'd love to do a 45 minute lunch workout. I could combine that with running/biking to work, that would cut a lot of time off my day.

My gyms pretty much has to be within 5 minutes of work for me to get the use.
Luckily there's on here at work

#8578382 - 03/04/16 11:33 PM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: ]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
My gym is 5 minutes from me. But it's small as fuck, and if I don't go late at night, I'm forever waiting on the rack or a bench to open up.
#8578511 - 03/05/16 10:24 AM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: Impulsive]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Wasted time was the biggest issue I had and you can't beat that with a home gym.

With careful planning and a gym that's on your regular route to work you are maybe adding 5/minutes per work out above and beyond working out at home (net/net time), but you are getting a much better work out (in my situation anyway, "gains" at gym > "gains" at home gym).

Adam7, it's $39/month.

#8578523 - 03/05/16 11:05 AM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: Risky Business]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
My home gym is small, about 13x13 room, just has ironmaster dumbells, bench, pullup bar, pretty much the basics. I would never trade it for a gym membership, so much wasted time driving back and forth, socializing, waiting for machines, etc.
#8579027 - 03/06/16 12:22 AM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: ]
schtickaz.ai Online   content
Post Master Supreme

Loc: State, Country, etc.
if this makes you guys feel any better I pay $100/mo for the Y and I basically only swim or do pullups lol. My SO had to join too [part of the $100] but I think she almost goes 2x a month now. Usually zero. It's a 10 minute walk from home tho

#8579112 - 03/06/16 08:12 AM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

#8579199 - 03/06/16 11:55 AM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: stickaz_duex
if this makes you guys feel any better I pay $100/mo for the Y and I basically only swim or do pullups lol. My SO had to join too [part of the $100] but I think she almost goes 2x a month now. Usually zero. It's a 10 minute walk from home tho

That's pricey to creep on young swimmer girls.

#8579990 - 03/07/16 11:37 AM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: Impulsive]
Post Master Supreme

That's pricey to creep on young swimmer girls.

really? I'd say it's the cheapest/safest way

#8580781 - 03/08/16 07:48 AM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: schtickaz.ai]
wolfsburg2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

I built a pretty solid home gym a few years ago and immediately hated workign out at home. I'm a big box gym guy now and forever.

#8580863 - 03/08/16 09:17 AM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: ]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Some people seem to have to go somewhere to workout. I do not. I can listen to the radio, put the TV to whatever I want, play with the dogs in between sets, put the fan right on me, minor dinner prep etc.

The only thing I really miss are the cable excercises (rows, pull downs) and my dip station is awkward, so I really don't bother.

My parents are downsizing, so I'll probably add either a treadmill or eliptical (or both) to my gym.

Now, in a perfect world, I think I'd go to the gym by my work - maybe a 4-5 minute drive and pound out a 30-40 minute weight session during lunch. But I don't want a membership to do that.

#8580872 - 03/08/16 09:22 AM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: ]
wolfsburg2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Adam7
Why?

I had all these plans to build a home gym then we put the house on the market so that got cancelled. Then we took it off the market but I'm still holding off because we will likely sell within the year anyway.

For me it's a lot of things. I go to the gym at different times that all fit in my life. On the way home from work, alter at night after family stuff is over (t-ball, softball, basketball etc), on weekends in the early morning or afternoon) and once in a while at Oh dark.

I like having a range of equipment and enough weights. I don't mean to sound douchey but it's very pricey to buy big DB. I had a set up to 80lbs and that is just not enough. I like having a million cardio options. I like the availability of classes. I like having dip stations, power towers, a full cable rack (3 at my gym). I liek having an ab station, ab machines etc.

Check my home gym thread and you will see a pretty complete home gym set-up. It wasn't close to enough to satisfy me.

And after all that stuff, if that wasn't reason enough, when the gym is at home I am too close to it to really kill it. I have a hard time getting out to the "gym" and staying there. When I am in the big box gym I am there until I am done. I can lose track of time. At home that's not possible.

Also for any reasonably well put together and thorough gym set up you will just about never make your money back. It's just cheaper to pay $30 a month forever than drop thousands upon thousands of dollars to take up space in your house.

#8581676 - 03/08/16 07:46 PM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: wolfsburg2]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

A couple of days in, starting to remember why i hate the fucking gym. Made the mistake of going after work. I am too old to be around all these fucks.

TIL, OP is an idiot.

#8581933 - 03/09/16 07:25 AM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: ]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

One guy was facetiming his online "coach", two other douches were grunting while making content for their vlog. This shit was ridiculous, maybe it's the norm at gyms, I don't know. I am never going back between 6pm-9pm, like EVER.
#8581978 - 03/09/16 08:10 AM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: Risky Business]
98V-TeC Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Denver, CO
I've seen it all. The closest gyms to my work are in fucking MIDTOWN MANHATTAN. Monday-Weds after work...fucking nightmare. You just have to alter your workouts around the idiots.

I love going on the weekends so the nearest branch to me is awesome for that. Saturday/Sunday mornings = dead

I'd love to have a job one day with a discount for Equinox. Those gyms are glorious.

The only thing I'd really love about a home gym is a rack for squats/deads. Everywhere I go, they never have enough stations.

#8582016 - 03/09/16 08:39 AM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: 98V-TeC]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'd even consider a gym for lunch hour or the odd day off, but it seems like they all want a membership - fuck that.

#8582312 - 03/09/16 12:15 PM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: Risky Business]
wolfsburg2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
One guy was facetiming his online "coach", two other douches were grunting while making content for their vlog. This shit was ridiculous, maybe it's the norm at gyms, I don't know. I am never going back between 6pm-9pm, like EVER.

I've never seen that ever and I've been a member of a lot of gyms in a lot of places.

#8582314 - 03/09/16 12:16 PM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: Impulsive]
wolfsburg2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'd even consider a gym for lunch hour or the odd day off, but it seems like they all want a membership - fuck that.

Do you travel for work? I love hitting random gyms on guest passes, even for a small fee when traveling. a lot of hotels will have reciprocal privileges with local gyms too.

#8582376 - 03/09/16 01:00 PM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: wolfsburg2]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Very rarely do I travel. I do like to hit gyms then as well.

The local city run rec centres are pretty good, but busy and nothing really that close to me.

#8582407 - 03/09/16 01:20 PM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: wolfsburg2]
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: wolfsburg2

Do you travel for work? I love hitting random gyms on guest passes, even for a small fee when traveling. a lot of hotels will have reciprocal privileges with local gyms too.

#8582416 - 03/09/16 01:27 PM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: schtickaz.ai]
wolfsburg2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: wolfsburg2

Does this shirt make me look fat? No but your face does.

#8583483 - 03/10/16 11:52 AM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: Risky Business]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
I <3 my gym

Although only having six treadmills can be a bit of a drag

PS how much does everyone pay for gym memberships?

#8583489 - 03/10/16 11:53 AM Re: Finished building my home gym so I signed up for a gym [Re: Risky Business]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business
A couple of days in, starting to remember why i hate the fucking gym. Made the mistake of going after work. I am too old to be around all these fucks.

TIL, OP is an idiot.

Sorry but that's a great update

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads