Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8219635 - 05/21/15 02:59 PM minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon?
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
looking at a 26.2 mild trail run [mostly downhill, some uphill] for my first 26.2

right now I've never gone past 14-15 mile long runs. Just squeak that out to 20-21 in a gradual progression and I should be good?

http://www.pctrailruns.com/images/maps/Skyline_to_the_Sea_2014.pdf

elevation profile

thats the 50k elevation profile, 26.2 is basically the same

shooting for 5:00 or so lol, plan on walking the uphill portions, just want to finish

#8219657 - 05/21/15 03:05 PM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: stickaz_old]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Lots of training plans for a full top out around 20-22.

However, they're not trail races
Also, running downhill is harder on joints and muscles(eccentric contractions), especially at your age.

I'd say you're looking at 5:30 of suffer.

I'd say alot of times it's a good idea to run as long (time) as your race will take regardless of distance. I.e do you hate life after 5 hours of moving. how long was your last tri?

/the expert of shit he's never done.

#8219691 - 05/21/15 03:21 PM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm a 2:30-2:40 'er oly tri-er [depending on elevation profile]

dat age comment \:\|

lol

I've come a long way running downhill, I swear. plenty of 7:00-7:30 miles [actual] in my SF half. Ok there were 2. Same thing right? \:D

running for 5 hours sounds pretty miserable. I'd definitely have to work up to that level. 5 months doe...

#8219716 - 05/21/15 03:37 PM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: stickaz_old]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
Dont let the net downhill of that race give you a false sense of security.
The last half will leave that vag of yours a bloody sandy mess.

Paki: 3:36

#8219723 - 05/21/15 03:39 PM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

yea did a quick google w/past runners and people running a ~1:50 half or so are finishing around 5:20-5:30 hehe

ok 5:30 new target [in addition to simply finishing]

12m 36s /mi pace \:D

#8220462 - 05/22/15 08:54 AM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Why not give the distance (and yourself) a little respect and follow a legit marathon plan? That way you can finish the thing without destroying yourself and requiring a month of recovery...and you may actually surprise yourself with a decent time. ;\)

Personally, I think a gradual build up to 20 miles and then a slow drop back down to 15 would be a great way to get ready. (15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 18, 17, 15.)

#8220466 - 05/22/15 08:56 AM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Also...I'm planning on doing this race as well. Circle jerk at your place or Donnies? \:D

#8220575 - 05/22/15 10:11 AM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

RESPECT THE DISTANCE

/guess who turned 40 and is a cranky old man

#8220710 - 05/22/15 11:21 AM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

wewt, alright. I'm leaning towards doing this. Perhaps somebody can give me a ride back from Wadell Beach. Although I imagine I'd want to lie down there for a few hours first

sounds like i have some srs bullshit in my future this summer as far as long-slow runs to prepare for this [and hills n stuff]

#8220717 - 05/22/15 11:27 AM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta
RESPECT THE DISTANCE

/guess who turned 40 and is a cranky old man

Lol, 40 ain't that old when you can still spank guys 10 years younger than you.

Seriously though, I've just found that it's a whole lot more satisfying to finish a race where you trained adequately. You're less likely to despise running, bitch about your placing/time, have legs that won't work till weeks later.

Edited by Mrs. Ironmom (05/22/15 11:30 AM)

#8220724 - 05/22/15 11:32 AM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: zakcits
wewt, alright. I'm leaning towards doing this. Perhaps somebody can give me a ride back from Wadell Beach. Although I imagine I'd want to lie down there for a few hours first

sounds like i have some srs bullshit in my future this summer as far as long-slow runs to prepare for this [and hills n stuff]

Have Donnie get you out on the trails. I think you'll be amazed at how much more pleasant a slow pace and long runs are when you're not staring at pavement the whole time.

I'm trying to get my 59 year old dad to sign up for it as well. You guys can hang out. \:D

#8220726 - 05/22/15 11:35 AM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I just found it funny, because you had your old man rant. Then right after, you followed it up by agreeing that he had a decent plan (building up from 15 to about 20-22ish).

Every once in a while you need to fall on your face to remember not to do it.

My personal thought is stickaz will have to learn the pacing of trail running(much more variable) and the challenges. While it is much lower impact, there's ankle rollers, variable traction, off balance sections, etc. Much more of a whole body work out. (I think he does 5 miles off-trail though)
SO it's not just his first full marathon, but his first long trail run. So he's working both angles (while still trying to crack 22 on his 5km). Lot of goals...

/says the guy that's ran less this whole year than anyone else this month.

Edited by dirtyS13drifta (05/22/15 11:40 AM)

#8220728 - 05/22/15 11:37 AM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: ]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Just saw I've got 5 months to get ready for this. Think I can do it?

My goal would be to stay close enough on stickaz to knee-cap him at mile 20 and pull ahead at 3.5mph

#8220747 - 05/22/15 11:51 AM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I don't think that will be very hard, strong chance of pure walkage past mile 16 lol, I think I might try to keep Chris' dad in sight at least through mile 14 or so \:D

I'm not doing much trail running now but I've done some around pacifica and the los gatos creek trail area I finally hit once near the lexington dam already, mostly 5-8 mile jaunts on hills n stuff

#8220752 - 05/22/15 11:55 AM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta
Just saw I've got 5 months to get ready for this. Think I can do it?

My goal would be to stay close enough on stickaz to knee-cap him at mile 20 and pull ahead at 3.5mph

Hell yeah...let's turn this into a proper sausage fest!

#8220769 - 05/22/15 12:11 PM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: stickaz_old]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: zakcits
I don't think that will be very hard, strong chance of pure walkage past mile 16 lol, I think I might try to keep Chris' dad in sight at least through mile 14 or so \:D

I'm not doing much trail running now but I've done some around pacifica and the los gatos creek trail area I finally hit once near the lexington dam already, mostly 5-8 mile jaunts on hills n stuff

I've literally ran 0 miles in 5 weeks, that might be the first time that's happened in... 7-8 years?

Technically my last 1/2 was done with no runs over 10 miles, and longest trail run of 8. I was <12/week at that stage. Extrapolate that.

The more I think about it I managed a pretty respectable time. (~25% slower than road races for a race starting 1 mile up, with ~2-4k of vert, offroad, and snow).

I just tossed my running watch in my bag for the weekend, heading to the mountains.

#8220790 - 05/22/15 12:29 PM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

sweet, somehow I think I'll survive [but I'll feel a lot better once I get through a 20-22'er in training]

sounds like quite the sausage fest. Team 5:30 will start in the back \:D

somehow I think you'll survive, too \:D

#8220793 - 05/22/15 12:31 PM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: stickaz_old]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Yeah, I'd agree, I'd want at least one 20+ under my belt. Preferably at such a slow pace it's approximating the 5 hours(+) of time.

To me that's the base "long" run, something close to time of race, rather than distance.

I've got a 15 mile hike I want to do in 2 weeks, maybe I should ditch wife and just "speed hike it".

#8220840 - 05/22/15 01:02 PM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: ]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

woohooo!! this will be the 4th time i've done this race! Its actually ran in July also, so I may do that one also.

#8224564 - 05/26/15 06:31 PM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
 Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
Why not give the distance (and yourself) a little respect and follow a legit marathon plan? That way you can finish the thing without destroying yourself and requiring a month of recovery...and you may actually surprise yourself with a decent time. ;\)

Personally, I think a gradual build up to 20 miles and then a slow drop back down to 15 would be a great way to get ready. (15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 18, 17, 15.)

So much THIS.

Do a gradual buildup and hit at least 20 miles on similar terrain as your race. Then allow at least 3 full weeks to scale back the mileage prior to the race.

I still think Hal Higdon's marathon plan is rock solid. Maybe start at week 7 when you're ready:
http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51138/Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8224567 - 05/26/15 06:36 PM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

it STARTS at 30 miles/week? heh

I currently do 2-3 days swimming, 2-3 days biking, and 3 days running

best i see hitting during a peak training week is 30 [2 5's and a 20]

am I fucked? how badly?

edit: now that I actually COUNTED hal's novice 2 guide it peaks at 30-35/week

so I think I wont be fucked at all. I'm basically on a 2-year straight training block at this point [or close] of 3-a-weekers

#8225218 - 05/27/15 11:35 AM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: stickaz_old]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Throw hals guide out the window. He is training you to run on the road.
Dont worry about weekly distance and just get time on your feet.
I would say you should peak at 4+ hours on the trails, even if half of that is hiking you need to get used to being out there for a long time.

#8225354 - 05/27/15 12:59 PM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

does the mostly-flat-part of the LGCT qualify? \:\|

#8343585 - 08/27/15 01:08 PM Re: minimum long-run distance to finish first marathon? [Re: stickaz_old]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Oops got a work trip that conflicts, bummer. Oh well no 26.2 for me in 2015

Thinking the SF marathon in July now..

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads