Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#6855469 - 01/24/13 10:15 PM C25K?
hoe Offline
Poster

Loc: Kansas!
I am trying to get in shape, lose weight, and be able to run a 5k with my sister. I just had a baby 6 months ago and I am super out of shape. I just started the couch to 5k program like 2 weeks ago but I don't seem to be making any progress on running. I have been running 5-6 times a week, but am still struggling a lot harder than I feel I should be. I used to be huge into sports and even then I was never able to run. Do any of you guys have any tips or advice to give me to maybe help me a little? I know, it's pathetic!
#6855503 - 01/24/13 10:34 PM Re: C25K? [Re: hoe]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Slow down. Most people run to fast because they think they're still teenagers.
Take breaks.
Don't beat yourself up. It's always harder at first. Focus on running smoothly and "lightly". Don't beat yourself up. You've got your whole life to get faster, better. Just know it is adding up. Focus on moving forward rather than "jogging" or running, just try lightly propel yourself forward.

Btw, 5-6 times a week seems like a lot. Is this part of the program? I've never ran 6 times a week.
/the slowest 1/2 marathon runner here.

#6855519 - 01/24/13 10:40 PM Re: C25K? [Re: ]
hoe Offline
Poster

No the program is 3 times a week but I'm doing it more because I want to lose weight too.
#6855532 - 01/24/13 10:45 PM Re: C25K? [Re: hoe]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

This is just my opinion, but I'd cool it with that. Running is hard on the body and it takes time to recover.

If you must do more cardio, do it low/no impact. Maybe walk hills, get your HR up but keeps you from beating up those new muscles and joints.

I'll say this, quality over quantity. Get yourself used to running before trying to blast off every spare pound. Once you're used to running then you can run harder/faster/further. That's where the gains show up.

If I tried to run 5-6 days a week after a break I'd probably just feel like shit for a few weeks and quit. So I ramp up, once I get up above 10 miles a week I can start doing a decent pace again and I naturally lose weight.

I know a lot of rookies come out of the gate fast and burn out. Running is harder than it looks. Getting the first few miles down is often the hardest part(until those last few, those suck too).

#6855638 - 01/24/13 11:40 PM Re: C25K? [Re: ]
hoe Offline
Poster

Thanks so much. I think you're right and I am going to slow down a little bit. I have some awful shin splints right now... Ugh they are painful.
#6855656 - 01/24/13 11:52 PM Re: C25K? [Re: hoe]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Ice those puppies, have an alieve.
do some toe taps.
Stretch your calves before each run

Take a breather.
But get back to it soon enough. Let you muscles have 48 hours to heal. They'll still hurt after that , but you can get back to it.

Especially if you've got shit splints. They can be persistent.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads