Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#6732311 - 11/25/12 09:31 AM The learning curve of MTB is somewhat painful
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Since it's been dark when I'm leaving work now - I've only been able to put a few hours on the trails during weekend. But since I've had days off for holidays lately I've probably put 5 days in past week on trail.

holy shit do I feel wiped out - my legs look like Rhianna's face. I rested my left forearm into a bed of thorns, dug my right elbow straight into the ground, punched my chest with handlebar.

I think i'll enjoy some Ibuprofen for the next few days

Because IRC is just filled with gems like this

#6732982 - 11/25/12 07:04 PM Re: The learning curve of MTB is somewhat painful [Re: shamrok]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
The bikehandling will become more second nature with more consistent saddle time.

Funny thing is, I never really lost my bikehandling skills from when I rode a fuckton in the early-to-mid 90's. I feel pretty competent when I get out there these days.

The trails I ride are a lot of evergreen woods, so the crash landings are fairly soft. \:\)

12 miles in the woods is like 50 on the road.

still have an EM1--go figure

#6733457 - 11/26/12 05:08 AM Re: The learning curve of MTB is somewhat painful [Re: gamby]
#lodestar Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not in Kansas anymore
 Originally Posted By: g@mby

12 miles in the woods is like 50 on the road.

so crazy how biking in different terrain can create such a massively different riding experience.

I take no joy in owning you people like this anymore. Now I just feel like I'm teaching a retarded class & doing God's work."
-Napoleon complex things

#6736551 - 11/27/12 12:50 PM Re: The learning curve of MTB is somewhat painful [Re: ]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Even if it's flat, if the trails are technical enough, the constant fighting/positioning of the bike is enough to beat me up. One of the longer trails I ride is sort of rolling terrain--no massive climbs. It still kicks my ass because of the technicality of it.

After 2 hours in the woods, the finishing trail with a ton of logs to ride over borders on demoralizing.

I agree--fire roads, not so much.

#6759393 - 12/08/12 05:31 PM Re: The learning curve of MTB is somewhat painful [Re: gamby]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

I recommend anytime you guys happen to be in/around Tulsa to hit up Turkey Mountain. I love that I'm 10-15minutes away from this place.. But damn does it beat you the hell up

#6762328 - 12/10/12 04:05 PM Re: The learning curve of MTB is somewhat painful [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
 Originally Posted By: OB1

And now I'm not getting work until I ride these. This is a 9-14 mile stretch. Mostly uphill. Last couple miles is fast and hard down the pipeline.

Is that steep bro? I think I see daylight under the second guy's wheels? \:o \:o

comparo for reference: soquel demo forest in santa cruz, between teeters, logpiles, stump jumps (like this one) etc this is what I think of when I think a steep descent (if you were to climb it, stage 1 climb)

terrain profile of the route, about ~15-20% slope avg

#6762493 - 12/10/12 05:57 PM Re: The learning curve of MTB is somewhat painful [Re: stickaz_old]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

XC vs. Freeride

Apples and oranges

Gnarly and fucking crazy fuckgnar gnarly

#6762570 - 12/10/12 06:48 PM Re: The learning curve of MTB is somewhat painful [Re: gamby]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
I've always hated XC :finger:

This one is pretty hairy near me too, (steam donkey off skeggs for locals)

descending steam donkey if your nuts arent directly hanging over the rear tire you will go over the bars

that trail is FUUUUUUUU to climb out of. Down to sea level like 3 or 4 times from the top of skyline (~2500')

#6772618 - 12/15/12 04:06 PM Re: The learning curve of MTB is somewhat painful [Re: ]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

so brought some bike milk home today - excuse the front porch as I've been doing some remodeling and it turns into the quasi workbench area

2013 Speshy Carve Expert

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads