Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7888774 - 09/30/14 02:16 PM you get out of it what you put into it /shocker
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
From the 'water is wet' school of 'who woulda thought', the more mileage you put into running the faster your marathon result will be

graph of marathon finishing times from runkeeper data compared with the miles/week they log

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/runners-with-more-training-miles-finish-marathons-faster

Based on the 16-week period prior to a marathon [for those that ran one]

Quote:

We also looked at what percentage of different mileage groups had finished by certain times. Turns out, 62 percent of runners who averaged 31 to 38 miles per week ran a four-hour marathon, or faster. By contrast, only 8.5 percent of those who logged less than six miles per week were done by the four-hour mark. In fact, at any given time, whether it was the three-hour, five-hour, or six-hour mark, more runners from the higher mileage groups had finished.

*on a side note there goes any goal I would have had of finishing sub 4h, I think

**on another side note, I like data-driven studies more than anecdotes from 'fast people'

#7888793 - 09/30/14 02:25 PM Re: you get out of it what you put into it /shocker [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
That's spot on with my own performance. But there are other factors such as age, BMI, temp, speed training and related cardio conditioning. All can influence results by as much as %15.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#7888797 - 09/30/14 02:29 PM Re: you get out of it what you put into it /shocker [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

sure the data can easily be broken down further, but as I understand it this data set was normalized for everything they could control [including age]

#7888890 - 09/30/14 03:07 PM Re: you get out of it what you put into it /shocker [Re: stickaz_old]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Correlation or causation...
#7888895 - 09/30/14 03:11 PM Re: you get out of it what you put into it /shocker [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

yea, probably there's some other variable that is forcing this relationship. We must look deeper. Probably FASTER marathon runners DECIDE to run further dun-dun-dun

[unrelated second graph]

#7888908 - 09/30/14 03:19 PM Re: you get out of it what you put into it /shocker [Re: stickaz_old]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

another neat chart on WHEN do people run: [by day and by country]

#7888946 - 09/30/14 03:43 PM Re: you get out of it what you put into it /shocker [Re: stickaz_old]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I'm starting to run more in the morning, but winter puts a big fuck you on that. Often, snow is overnight and it's obviously colder in the morning.

I also find my legs, which are often tired from weights/biking/stairs, tend to tire in the morning. The other day, I did 8 miles after vacation. The last 2/3 of a mile, I had enough energy for some pretty good sprints (4x200m + jogging). On my morning 7.5m run, coming up on 6 miles, the legs feel empty.

#7889062 - 09/30/14 04:42 PM Re: you get out of it what you put into it /shocker [Re: Impulsive]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Ask pretty much any runner when they "broke through" and they'll likely say it's when they bumped their mileage up.
That's what I love about running...the direct feedback.

I wanted to qualify for Boston, so I ran faster on flat roads similar to the course. I wanted to run a hundred miles in the mountains, so I ran lots and lots of miles up in the mountains. It's magic!!!! \:D

#7889073 - 09/30/14 04:47 PM Re: you get out of it what you put into it /shocker [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

^genetically gifted

#7889233 - 09/30/14 06:15 PM Re: you get out of it what you put into it /shocker [Re: stickaz_old]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
Obviously you have to run a certain mileage to get a solid base for a marathon, but above 60 or so miles I wouldnt say improvement is directly proportional to mileage.
I am finding for myself that hammering out 2 or 3 a days just to get in mileage wasnt effective and I was breaking down.
I took it easy in september and kinda focused on getting back to basics and running with purpose. Every training run had a focus instead of just piling on miles.
Last week for example I only ran 60 miles, but I had one day of solid hill repeats, one day of mile repeats, a long run with some good elevation and 3 recovery runs.
I would say that week was as good as any 80 mile week I put together this year.

Paki: 3:36

#7889272 - 09/30/14 06:38 PM Re: you get out of it what you put into it /shocker [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

The careful reader will note the chart stops at 44

#7889559 - 09/30/14 09:09 PM Re: you get out of it what you put into it /shocker [Re: stickaz_old]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Here
I want to know who these assholes are who can go sub four hours on less than six miles per week.
#7889722 - 09/30/14 10:17 PM Re: you get out of it what you put into it /shocker [Re: Cheesegoggles]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I still think there's more going on.

Like quality of training probably matters more than quantity. Of course you need to be able to hand the distance, but 31 miles of quality runs is better than 44 miles of junk.

I mean I bet you could draw a strong correlation between years running and marathon times( to a point).

You could probably draw correlation to parents 5k time too

But in the end, I couldn't imagine running a single race that's more than double my weekly average. Sounds pretty miserable. /contemplates 50km despite saying that.

#7889853 - 09/30/14 11:12 PM Re: you get out of it what you put into it /shocker [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: zakcits
^genetically gifted

Lol, I don't have an ounce of natural ability. Im simply in love with running and work my ass off to hit my goals. Oh, and Im stubborn too. \:D

My wife is one of those that were all angry at. 3:29 at Boston on less than 30 miles a week.

#7889911 - 09/30/14 11:39 PM Re: you get out of it what you put into it /shocker [Re: Cheesegoggles]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: CheeseGoggles
I want to know who these assholes are who can go sub four hours on less than six miles per week.

Ironmom didn't your SO go like 4.something hrs at Boston this year? We were stalking I think

#7889941 - 09/30/14 11:49 PM Re: you get out of it what you put into it /shocker [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

A hair over 4, but that was on pretty much no training. I think she did one 11 mile run and was somewhere around 15 miles a week. The year before is what I was referencing...she set her PR of 3:29:30 on very minimal mileage.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads