Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7814244 - 08/11/14 02:09 PM how bad is 'bonking' in your workout?
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
is it always bad? is it sometimes good? teach you anything? should you try to hit it once in a while to find your limit(s)?

example: yesterday, I bonked around mile 7 of a 10 mile jog in the afternoon heat heh, probably a hydration issue.

I believe I learned I need to drink more from the water fountain(s) at mile 3 and 5 on that route ;\)

I just cruised through the park with the water fountain at mile 5 thinking 'no problem, I'm sure there will be another soon....' heh no

Biking I almost never bonk [I guess I dont try hard enough?], and swimming I avoid 'the bonk' like my life depends on it [I'm just a sprinter, my goal in life there is to work the anaerobic stuff hard, and the aerobic stuff not much at all]

thoughts on bonking? always bad? sometimes good?

#7814246 - 08/11/14 02:10 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: stickaz_old]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I thought a bonk was a low carb/blood sugar thing.

cramps are different.

#7814265 - 08/11/14 02:17 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

no cramp, just too burnt to continue running

my understanding of a bonk [for example] in biking is that you pushed it too hard/too quick/arent hydrated enough/arent taking in enough nutrition/need to hop off the bike and cry in the bushes for a solid 15 minutes. thats a bonk

#7814276 - 08/11/14 02:22 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: stickaz_old]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
After googling WTF Bonking was, it happens to me a lot but I guess depends on the exact definition. Now, when I hit the wall, I can still continue, it's just a noticeable shift from ok to struggling. Walking more often or a slower pace and definite hating life isn't uncommmon.

I can't remember a time where I've physically not been able to continue, but then almost all my cardio is 90 minutes or less.

When I do my 10-11k run with 2000 stairs, the first 1800 stairs are in a set (I'll run 180-190 stairs up and down 10 times with half of them being double stairs). I then run about 500m and there is another set of stairs and I can barely make it up those last ones (I climb them like an old man).

I mostly notice after about mile 5-6 during a morning run - legs just get achey and tired. I did a 40k bike yesterday and the wind shifted to a strong head wind (after fighting the wind for most of the ride already) and the last 10k became hell.

So perhaps not true bonking (why do I feel like this term should be in the pot thread?)

#7814292 - 08/11/14 02:28 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: Impulsive]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitting_the_wall

Oh Wiki!

#7814567 - 08/11/14 05:00 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
It doesn't seem to happen to me very often any more, but I can remember specific workouts earlier in my training where it was literally like hitting a wall. Seriously, where the body just says "I'm fucking done till you put some food in me."

Now that I think about it, it was almost always on the bike....and almost never running. A couple times at the end of 60 or 80 mile rides. A little due to lack of fueling....mostly because of boredom.
I never bonked at my 50 mile/9 hour run a few months ago...probably because well stocked aid stations.

Nothing wrong with training up to that point (and over) just so your body knows what it feels like.

#7814757 - 08/11/14 06:42 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: stickaz_old]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
Did it once 40 miles or so into a ride. Didn't eat enough before/during and didn't have any food left on me or any nearby place to buy more. It sucked.

I get lightheaded and headachey and that makes me lose all will to continue on. I tend to be pretty well-prepared doe.

still have an EM1--go figure

#7814775 - 08/11/14 06:50 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: gamby]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
I think if you've trained your body to burn any fuel available, it won't happen like that.

I mean, I regularly run 12 miles or more during some marathon soccer sessions and have never hit the wall, even when on super low calories and fasting that day.

Now, if you're only running off of your glycogen stores and they run out, and you aren't used to it, it's going to affect you much more.

#7814842 - 08/11/14 07:36 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: Silock]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

There's a reason people hit "the wall" at mile 20 of a marathon. That's usually about 3 hours in and the glycogen stores dry up. Good reading here:

http://www.marathonandbeyond.com/choices/latta.htm

"
“Hitting The Wall is basically about running out of energy,” says Dave Martin, Ph.D., Emeritus Regent’s Professor of Health Sciences at Georgia State University in Atlanta—chemical energy, that is, stored in the form of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) and obtained from the breakdown, or metabolism, of energy-containing fuel. The runner’s primary fuel sources are carbohydrates (in the form of blood glucose and glycogen, a polymer of glucose stored in the muscles and liver) and fats (free fatty acids in the bloodstream and muscle triglycerides, molecules containing three fatty acids).

Fats might seem to be the logical first choice of fuel for endurance events; not only are they the most concentrated form of food energy, but even the thinnest runners have enough body fat to get them through 600 miles. Alas, it’s not quite that simple. Fatty acid metabolism requires plentiful circulating oxygen, a precious commodity when you’re running at marathon race pace. Carbohydrate metabolism, on the other hand, requires less oxygen. In fact, cells can derive energy from carbohydrates either aerobically (in the presence of oxygen) or anaerobically (in the absence of oxygen).

If you start your marathon at a reasonable pace for you, your fuel consumption ratio will be about 75 percent carbohydrates to 25 percent fatty acids, according to Martin. During the race, as carbohydrate supplies begin to dwindle, that ratio changes as your body begins to rely more heavily on fatty acids.

What does all of this have to do with hitting The Wall? Let’s start with the pace. It’s common, in the excitement of the moment, to start out at a pace that’s too fast for you. Big mistake. Your heart cannot pump enough blood to ensure a steady supply of oxygen to the muscles. At this point, your muscles have no choice but to burn glucose in the absence of oxygen. The anaerobic metabolism of glucose, as it’s called, is inefficient, yielding only about 1/18 as much energy (in the form of ATP) as aerobic metabolism. To make matters worse, among the by-products of the anaerobic metabolism of glucose are lactic acid and hydrogen ions. As these waste products continue to accumulate in the blood and tissue, they will not only make your muscles feel as though they are on fire, but they can also inactivate the enzymes that govern glucose metabolism. You’re toast.

Even if you’re racing at a reasonable pace and you’ve done a good job of carboloading in the days before the marathon, you still have only about 2,000 calories worth of glycogen stored in the muscles and liver; that’s about enough to get you to—surprise!—mile 20. If you manage to deplete your glycogen reserves, say hello to The Wall. As mentioned before, burning fatty acids requires plentiful oxygen, so as fatty acid metabolism increases, your heart must work harder to pump more oxygen-carrying blood to the muscles. It may be difficult or impossible to maintain your pace, especially if you’ve lost enough water through sweat to become even slightly dehydrated (this causes your blood to become thicker and therefore harder to pump). In addition, fatty acid metabolism itself requires glucose; as someone once said, “Fat is burned in a carbohydrate oven.”

#7814885 - 08/11/14 08:04 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: Silock]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Silock

Now, if you're only running off of your glycogen stores and they run out, and you aren't used to it, it's going to affect you much more.

That sounds like me. \:\)

I do a Clif Bar every hour and I'm good.

#7814989 - 08/11/14 09:11 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: gamby]
It's Art Offline
Bitch of the Deer
Post Master Supreme

Why can't people talk like normal people?

WTF is bonking?

#7815027 - 08/11/14 09:43 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: It's Art]
It's Art Offline
Bitch of the Deer
Post Master Supreme

I did tweak my shoulder yesterday doing something stupid. I was putting some clothes in the dryer and started benching 275ish without warming up at all, nothing happened but on the car ride to my parents to go swimming I noticed my shoulder hurt and today it hurts too. I think I bonked it.
#7815080 - 08/11/14 10:19 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
 Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
In addition, fatty acid metabolism itself requires glucose; as someone once said, “Fat is burned in a carbohydrate oven.”

Except this isn't exactly the whole story. Your body can produce glucose through means other than carbohydrate digestion -- gluconeogenesis being the main mechanism.

Didn't some low-carb guy win an ultra-marathon recently? Of course, performance is highly individualized (some people do well on low-carb, others absolutely cannot), but if you can tolerate it and do well on it, adopting a low-carb strategy seems like a surefire way to avoid "bonking."

#7815105 - 08/11/14 10:52 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: Silock]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, people can adapt to anything... That article is geared towards the average Joe marathoner out there for 4 hours or so.

I rarely eat anything on my runs other than those that are 3+ hours in the mountains...mostly because I don't want to get loopy when I'm up in the high country far from help or where the risks are potentially dangerous.

My key to finally qualifying for Boston was to make sure I took in fuel (and salt tabs) during the race. I knew I could cover the distance without anything, but that fuel made to difference between hitting the wall at 22 miles and limping in for a 3:20, and having a super solid race at hitting my goal of 3:08.

#7815116 - 08/11/14 11:07 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: It's Art]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Artiott Ness
I did tweak my shoulder yesterday doing something stupid. I was putting some clothes in the dryer and started benching 275ish without warming up at all, nothing happened but on the car ride to my parents to go swimming I noticed my shoulder hurt and today it hurts too. I think I bonked it.

Lol, funny. It's just a term used in endurance activities to describe the point where your body runs out of energy, usually due to lack of proper fueling before of during.
As in: "Man, I should have put that extra gel in my pocket before heading out on that 5 hour ride, cause I bonked big time!"

#7815137 - 08/11/14 11:54 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: It's Art]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Artiott Ness
Why can't people talk like normal people?

WTF is bonking?

Running/cycling jargon for "running out of gas". It's the point of depletion. Some people lock up, some throw up, some pass out, some just have to sit down. Depends on the degree of depletion and the specific person.

I once saw a chick on an MS150 sitting on a curb of a rest stop crying because she hit the wall so hard. I heard her tell the EMT she hadn't eaten anything all day (and that was around 50 miles in, IIRC). She wasn't well-versed in the art of fueling.

Too much and you want to shit yourself, too little and you bonk.

Whoops--treed

Edited by g@mby (08/11/14 11:55 PM)

#7815331 - 08/12/14 08:30 AM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
It's Art Offline
Bitch of the Deer
Post Master Supreme

Quote:
It's just a term used in endurance activities to describe the point where your body runs out of energy
I was able to deduce that from the context clues.

I'm totally just making fun of the OP here.

#7815692 - 08/12/14 10:52 AM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: It's Art]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

How's that working out for you by demonstrating your ignorance/lack of wit again?

#7815727 - 08/12/14 11:02 AM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: stickaz_old]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
I've only truly bonked once, ive felt like shit and been beat to shit plenty of times but I wouldnt call them bonks.
The only time I really bonked I ended up laying down on the side of the trail about 27 miles into a 50k and fell asleep for about 20 minutes. I literally could not walk another step, I remember looking at this little hill about 10 yards in front of me and thinking that there was no way I could ever make it to that hill.
I had been sick the week before and I just pushed to hard in the first half of the race and didnt take in nearly enough calories.
I did end up getting back up and running the last 4 miles to finish the race.

Paki: 3:36

#7815814 - 08/12/14 11:35 AM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
On the last marathon I hit the wall hard at mile 16. Combination of heat and a very aggressive pace. I think it's OK to flirt with the limits as long as we know what to do when we experience it.

For me... I took in extra water/fuel and eased through the rest of the race at a comfortable pace. It was a good lesson in what I could do with better training/technique.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#7815905 - 08/12/14 12:03 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: Design]
LeBron!=GOAT Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Sarasota, FL

[civicstyle] lol you guys, it feels good when we hug in the club

#7815912 - 08/12/14 12:05 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: LeBron!=GOAT]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Lol , Full House.

#7815915 - 08/12/14 12:06 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#7815963 - 08/12/14 12:23 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: Design]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I feel like dehydration isn't anything to fuck with, same with sodium issues.

Low glycogen/blood sugar, i.e Bonking, that's superficial suffering. Like it doesn't "hurt" you, but may make you miserable.

Either way, it's done, so learn a lesson, bring some food/water, or go slower(less carbs, more fat burned, and generally less perspiration/respiration losses).

and lol, "wtf is a bonking" do you even endurance bro? Bonk's been a term since like the early 90s at least

#7816209 - 08/12/14 02:04 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: ]
It's Art Offline
Bitch of the Deer
Post Master Supreme

No I don't even endurance.
#7816434 - 08/12/14 04:05 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: It's Art]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I don't put dehydration in the same category as bonking. Like you said...you fuck with hydration and you can die. Not enough food and you just don't feel like doing anything other than taking a nap.

#7817666 - 08/13/14 12:45 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
regularly. not good at all.

and how the hell does no one know what bonking/hitting the wall is?

am I on a crossfit sight or someething?

#7817822 - 08/13/14 02:04 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: Euphoricuck]
The Mighty BellRacer Offline
Despises overt racism
Post Master Supreme

Loc: DFW
i've bonked out pretty good on one of the first long bike rides i did. it freaking sucked.
#7817835 - 08/13/14 02:15 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: The Mighty BellRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Totally forgot I had this shirt:

#7819728 - 08/14/14 04:27 PM Re: how bad is 'bonking' in your workout? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: 18th green
I thought it said "boinking"...
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads