#6846139 - 01/20/13 10:22 PM The Appetite Workout via NY Times
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
 Quote:
JANUARY 17, 2013, 2:31 PM
The Appetite Workout

By GRETCHEN REYNOLDS
Every January, many people start working out, hoping to lose weight. But as studies attest, exercise often produces little or no weight loss - and even weight gain - and resolutions are soon abandoned. But new science suggests that if you stick with the right kind of exercise, you may change how your body interacts with food. It's more than a matter of burning calories; exercise also affects hormones.

A 2012 study from the University of Wyoming looked at a group of women who either ran or walked and, on alternate days, sat quietly for an hour. After the running, walking or sitting, researchers drew blood to test for the levels of certain hormones and then directed the women to a room with a buffet. Human appetite is complicated, driven by signals from the brain, gut, fat cells, glands, genes and psyche. But certain appetite-related hormones, in particular ghrelin, which stimulates hunger, are known to be instrumental in determining how much we consume.

Studies have shown that exercise typically increases the production of ghrelin. Workouts make you hungry. In the Wyoming study, when the women ran, their ghrelin levels spiked, which should have meant they would attack the buffet with gusto. But they didn't. In fact, after running they consumed several hundred fewer calories than they burned.

Their restraint, the researchers said, was due to a concomitant increase in other hormones that initiate satiety. These hormones, only recently discovered and still not well understood, tell the body that it has taken in enough fuel; it can stop eating. The augmented levels of the satiety hormones, the authors write, "muted" the message from ghrelin. Sitting and, notably, walking did not change the blood levels of the women's satiety hormones, and the walkers overate, consuming more calories at the buffet than they had burned.

A related study published in December looked at the effects of moderate exercise, the equivalent of brisk jogging. It found that after 12 weeks, formerly sedentary, overweight men and women began recognizing, without consciously knowing it, that they should not overeat.

Researchers gave volunteers doctored milkshakes. Some contained maltodextrin, a flavorless sweetener that packed 600 calories into the drinks. The others, without maltodextrin, had 246 calories. Before beginning the exercise program, the volunteers ate more at a buffet lunch and throughout the rest of the day after drinking the high-calorie shake than when they were given the lower-calorie version. Their appetite regulation was out of whack.

But after three months of exercise, the volunteers consumed fewer calories throughout the day when they had the high-calorie shake than the lower-calorie one. Exercise "improves the body's ability to judge the amount of calories consumed and to adjust for that afterward," says Catia Martins, a professor at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim, who led the study.

But not all exercise. Running, it would seem, better hones the body's satiety mechanisms than walking. And longevity counts. You need to stick with the program for several months, Martins says, to truly fine-tune appetite control.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/17/the-appetite-workout/?ref=magazine

I know, I know; a calorie is a calorie and calories in vs calories out. Regardless, fascinating stuff IMO. I wonder how long it'll be before we start seeing hormone therapy for weight loss targeted at this satiety mechanism.

I suspect our satiety signals work rather well while eating real food, with or without the running. Our bodies aren't built to eat processed, nutrient poor food products; our internal systems are calibrated for real food. Eat junk and things get out of whack, eat real foods and the systems work as they evolved to.

CN: exercise, specifically running, improves the body's ability judge satiety and adjust future consumption accordingly through recently discovered hormones

#6846251 - 01/21/13 01:05 AM Re: The Appetite Workout via NY Times [Re: 2000SiRacer]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
I'm getting ready to go to bed, so I'll have to read that a couple more times tomorrow to absorb what's going on there...

still have an EM1--go figure

#6848047 - 01/21/13 07:24 PM Re: The Appetite Workout via NY Times [Re: 2000SiRacer]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: 2000SiRacer

CN: exercise, specifically running, improves the body's ability judge satiety and adjust future consumption accordingly through recently discovered hormones

I've always notice that running increases my appetite when I go up miles and it naturally decreases naturally while ramping down.

#6848052 - 01/21/13 07:29 PM Re: The Appetite Workout via NY Times [Re: ]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Quote:
.Sitting and, notably, walking did not change the blood levels of the women's satiety hormones, and the walkers overate, consuming more calories at the buffet than they had burned.

I've long thought that too leisurely of activity isn't really helping. If your not getting your HR up and sweating, I don't think it helps. This goes along with some of the benefits of Interval training for everyone as well(within reason).
I suspect part of it is simply that higher intensity workouts are fuelled more by sugars, so you body craves them. Slower workouts tend to be fuelled more fats, so your body craves those(and their extra density).

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads