Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3570606 - 03/17/09 01:42 PM Weird issue with 240Z (randomly dies)
Mikey_b Offline
Post Master Supreme

I had my 240Z in storage for 7 months and recently started driving it again (about 3 weeks ago). It drove great and almost started up immediately even after sitting. But about two weeks ago it randomly died while driving around. I felt kind of a hiccup in the carbs (like a flat spot) and all of a sudden the car just dies (and I have to coast it off the road). When I try to start it, the ignition works but the car stumbles (like it's misfiring) and then dies again. But I then let it sit for about 3 minutes and starts up just fine again and I can drive off. Sometimes I can drive it fine after that while other times it will just randomly die 10 minutes later.

At first I thought it was a bad fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter. But I ended driving it the next day and it drove great for 3-4 days. But then it did the same thing again. I finally realized that it's only happening at night. What's weird is that it happened the other night but when I tried to start it, there was no noise from the starter (just silence when I turned the key). This is where it gets weird...after turning my headlights off, I tried turning the key and it started up again fine.

So now instead of a fuel pump/filter, I'm thinking it could be a battery/alternator.

Any other suggestions?

Videos
#3570765 - 03/17/09 02:14 PM Re: Weird issue with 240Z (randomly dies) [Re: Mikey_b]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Check your grounds, get the battery tested, check the distibutor.

Also, did you use fuel stabilizer? Maybe you have bad gas.

#3570820 - 03/17/09 02:28 PM Re: Weird issue with 240Z (randomly dies) [Re: Impulsive]
Mikey_b Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, I'm testing my battery after work today. Yeah, I used fuel stabilizer but I'm already on my 3rd tank since then.
#3570978 - 03/17/09 03:05 PM Re: Weird issue with 240Z (randomly dies) [Re: Mikey_b]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
What do the carbs look like?

Could be your coil going out...

#3575393 - 03/18/09 09:33 PM Re: Weird issue with 240Z (randomly dies) [Re: LNXGUY]
Mikey_b Offline
Post Master Supreme

Nah, the carbs are good. Took my battery in and it's holding a charge fine. I'm going to have my alternator checked out now. If not that, I'll start checking out the fuel system. I really think it's the electrical system because it only happens at night (probably due to the heavier draw from headlights).
#3578813 - 03/19/09 09:31 PM Re: Weird issue with 240Z (randomly dies) [Re: Mikey_b]
Mikey_b Offline
Post Master Supreme

It was the alternator. I had it checked at autozone and it failed on their test bench. They had one in stock and it was mis-marked....I got one with a lifetime warranty for $35.
#3579649 - 03/20/09 04:00 AM Re: Weird issue with 240Z (randomly dies) [Re: Mikey_b]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
i was gonna say teh choke

#3580220 - 03/20/09 10:14 AM Re: Weird issue with 240Z (randomly dies) [Re: stickaz_old]
Mikey_b Offline
Post Master Supreme

The big giveaway was the fact it only happened at night....and also the time my car wouldn't even start until I turned the lights off for a second. I figured it had to be the extra electrical draw.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads