Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3985990 - 08/14/09 01:46 AM Which were the best/most reliable 90's diesel trucks?
fellfrosch7 Offline
Post Master

Loc: Las Vegas
I've been kinda looking at late 90's SUVs/trucks in the $5k range recently for god knows what reason. Something big would be good, with 3rd row seat maybe.

Which models were considered the best? Ford, Chevy, Dodge? MPG's? Chip/cheap upgrades? I'd like to stick with Chevy if possible, unless they're complete crap.

Or I might just keep the Astro cargo van, I just did a whole bunch of maintenance work on it and it's pretty much as good as a thousand dollar beater is gonna get.

Videos
#3985997 - 08/14/09 01:53 AM Re: Which were the best/most reliable 90's diesel trucks? [Re: fellfrosch7]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Cummins!

#3986001 - 08/14/09 01:57 AM Re: Which were the best/most reliable 90's diesel trucks? [Re: NOT spotch...]
fellfrosch7 Offline
Post Master

Loc: Las Vegas
OK, this thread's title should read "Duramax vs Powerstroke vs Cummins".

#3986545 - 08/14/09 09:56 AM Re: Which were the best/most reliable 90's diesel trucks? [Re: fellfrosch7]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I'd try to find something that doesn't sound like a bag of hammers in a dryer, but is still reliable. Cummins are the most annoying things on the road next to Harleys.

#3986681 - 08/14/09 10:24 AM Re: Which were the best/most reliable 90's diesel trucks? [Re: Impulsive]
SEANSE-R Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: West MI
Powerstroke and cummins are both noisy as hell. The duramax is noisy but to me less irritating. You can actually go through a drive through with out shutting it off.
#3986693 - 08/14/09 10:26 AM Re: Which were the best/most reliable 90's diesel trucks? [Re: Impulsive]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Well, technically, as a late 90's deal, you wouldn't be looking at a duramax...just the awful, underpowered, not very efficient...but very simple and reliable GM 6.5 diesel. It more or less goes without saying to avoid anything with this engine at all cost.

Really, when it comes to either the 12V cummins, 24v cummins, the 7.3 powerstroke, and the early duramax engines, you can't go wrong. Engines themselves are all very rock solid and reliable...duramax might get a slight edge in mpg, but the cummins were pretty good to depending if it's in a 2wd vs 4wd, and if you've got 3.54's vs 4.10's (being so efficient making torque, I'd only look for the 4.10's if I was looking to tow over 10,000lbs). The 7.3 isn't a world beater in fuel efficiency; it has a good edge in non-towing, and of course, blows away gasoline engines towing fuel efficiency.

All are simple to work on...but a big inline six is always the easiest.

The transmissions are all strong units, each being able to take moderate modifications of the engines before you begin to reach the breaking point. Of course, each trans needs good/correct service, especially the much maligned dodge trans.

Looks is your preference. I'd always really like the dodge and fords...both look tough just sitting there. During that era, the Dodge is the oldest of the three (unless you really do look at late 90's GM trucks, which again, with HD trucks, there is no reason...they were a relative non-player in the HD truck segment).

Myself personally, if I had the time and money, I'd probably look for the real old style dodge ram (89-93) with a cummins, extended cab, manual trans, and 4WD. The trucks were relatively light and configured as such, could pull down as much as mid 20's with conservative driving. Find a clean one (they'll still get 5-8G clean!), go through with tires/brakes/etc/etc to make like new again and enjoy.
1989 Shelby CSX (#500/500)
The most powerful production minivan money can buy.

#3987721 - 08/14/09 02:04 PM Re: Which were the best/most reliable 90's diesel trucks? [Re: UglyValiant]
NHRATA01 Offline
Post Master

Loc: New York
Yeah Ugly beat me but I'd say avoid the GM trucks with the 6.5, and hurts me to say that being a GM fanboy, but the Powerstroke and the Cummins are both superior. Always been leery of Chrysler transmissions though.

#3987733 - 08/14/09 02:06 PM Re: Which were the best/most reliable 90's diesel trucks? [Re: NHRATA01]
NHRATA01 Offline
Post Master

Loc: New York
Also FWIW I'm pretty sure you're looking at the old style GM trucks ('88-00) if you go diesel. The GMT800s came out in '99 I believe for the 1/2 ton, but the 3/4 and 1 tonners didn't start until '00 or '01 I believe. Which means thats when the Duramax finally appeared.

#3990542 - 08/15/09 11:17 PM Re: Which were the best/most reliable 90's diesel trucks? [Re: NHRATA01]
GOTXQSS Offline
Poster

Loc: Vegas
What a perfect vehicle choice to ad to your collection.. Lets see a diesel truck.. You don't tow, don't do mexican yardwork, need to carry anything but rims which thebeater van works great at already..

What's the point? New family vehicle?lol

"Id rather be cummin then strokin"

RIP "The Balls Challenge"

#3991187 - 08/16/09 02:14 PM Re: Which were the best/most reliable 90's diesel trucks? [Re: UglyValiant]
Quad4_driver Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: B.C. Canada
 Originally Posted By: UglyValiant
Well, technically, as a late 90's deal, you wouldn't be looking at a duramax...just the awful, underpowered, not very efficient...but very simple and reliable GM 6.5 diesel. It more or less goes without saying to avoid anything with this engine at all cost.

Really, when it comes to either the 12V cummins, 24v cummins, the 7.3 powerstroke, and the early duramax engines, you can't go wrong. Engines themselves are all very rock solid and reliable...duramax might get a slight edge in mpg, but the cummins were pretty good to depending if it's in a 2wd vs 4wd, and if you've got 3.54's vs 4.10's (being so efficient making torque, I'd only look for the 4.10's if I was looking to tow over 10,000lbs). The 7.3 isn't a world beater in fuel efficiency; it has a good edge in non-towing, and of course, blows away gasoline engines towing fuel efficiency.

All are simple to work on...but a big inline six is always the easiest.

The transmissions are all strong units, each being able to take moderate modifications of the engines before you begin to reach the breaking point. Of course, each trans needs good/correct service, especially the much maligned dodge trans.

Looks is your preference. I'd always really like the dodge and fords...both look tough just sitting there. During that era, the Dodge is the oldest of the three (unless you really do look at late 90's GM trucks, which again, with HD trucks, there is no reason...they were a relative non-player in the HD truck segment).

Myself personally, if I had the time and money, I'd probably look for the real old style dodge ram (89-93) with a cummins, extended cab, manual trans, and 4WD. The trucks were relatively light and configured as such, could pull down as much as mid 20's with conservative driving. Find a clean one (they'll still get 5-8G clean!), go through with tires/brakes/etc/etc to make like new again and enjoy.

I wouldn't call the 6.5L reliable. They are pretty bad on injection pumps, and the heads like to warp.

#3991237 - 08/16/09 02:40 PM Re: Which were the best/most reliable 90's diesel trucks? [Re: Quad4_driver]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
good thread. Ive been eyeing these for the last little bit

#3991448 - 08/16/09 04:27 PM Re: Which were the best/most reliable 90's diesel trucks? [Re: NHRATA01]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: NHRATA01
Yeah Ugly beat me but I'd say avoid the GM trucks with the 6.5, and hurts me to say that being a GM fanboy, but the Powerstroke and the Cummins are both superior. Always been leery of Chrysler transmissions though.

All I have is anecdotal, but the overdrive in my dad's 1991 cummins didn't go out until it had over 300k miles, and that thing was constantly used for hauling towing for about 13~ years up until that point. The transmissions in the newer ones seem stronger... the early 200x one he's driving now drives like new and I *think* he's pushing 200k on it.

#3991509 - 08/16/09 05:09 PM Re: Which were the best/most reliable 90's diesel trucks? [Re: NOT spotch...]
Scargoes Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: High Dessert
I'd have to say Cummins. Yeah diesels are loud at idle, so what. The 02 Ram 3500 I used to drive pulled hard to 3400rpm and was smooth as silk off idle.

My friends 04 Common rail CTD gets awesome milage. We towed his racecar two sets of tires and an 800lb tool box from Whittier to Las Vegas and averaged 20mpg round trip with the cruise set between 60-65mph. He bought the truck with a 5" exhaust and has a Smarty tuner set in tow mode.

#3992224 - 08/16/09 10:36 PM Re: Which were the best/most reliable 90's diesel trucks? [Re: Quad4_driver]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
 Originally Posted By: Quad4_driver

I wouldn't call the 6.5L reliable. They are pretty bad on injection pumps, and the heads like to warp.
I'm basing it off it's fairly reliable track record in the military...of which I'm not aware of any head warping issues.

IIRC, the military hummer's do use a different injection pump; for the light duty GM trucks, there is a fairly permanent fix for issues related to the injection pump failures. Again, not aware of any persistent issues in the military Humvee's related to injection pumps, though I could be wrong.
1989 Shelby CSX (#500/500)
The most powerful production minivan money can buy.

#8877158 - 12/10/16 09:03 PM Re: Which were the best/most reliable 90's diesel trucks? [Re: UglyValiant]
00Formula
Unregistered

The only experience I have with 90's diesels is a friend had a 3/4 ton Ford. It had a ton of miles but was very reliable until he totaled it. He used it to tow when he had a mowing business.
#8877294 - 12/11/16 02:20 AM Re: Which were the best/most reliable 90's diesel trucks? [Re: ]
SE-RKilla Offline
Poster

Loc: 10 cars in front of an SE-R
Sure wasn't any Nissan diesel.
A: Nice taillights!

#8978802 - 03/20/17 09:57 PM Re: Which were the best/most reliable 90's diesel trucks? [Re: SE-RKilla]
ypMs Offline
Jr Poster

nike air max running shoes
christian louboutin outlet
Air Max 90
Adidas Shoes Discount Marketplace
Nike Air Jordan 11
scarpe hogan outlet
ugg clearance
Adidas Originals Superstar
Oakley Sunglasses Cheap
Kobe Shoes Nike
Nike Shoes Discount Marketplace
cheap uggs
Air Max Pas Cher
Original Ugg Boots
canada goose jackets on sale
nike mercurial soccer cleats
chaussure Nike homme
zapatillas running
Doudoune Moncler Femme Pas Cher
Jordan Sneakers For Sale
toms sale
Pandora Store Sale
Adidas Originals Stan Smith
Canada Goose Outlet
new yeezy shoes
ugg store
Ray Ban Sunglasses Online
moncler jacket sale
Ray ban sale online
Nike Air Sneakers
Nike Shoes Sale Store
Michael Kors
nike schuhe günstig
The official UGG
fitflops sale uk
Canada Goose Outlet
adidas outlet
Nike Zapatos
Michael Kors Handbags Discount
pandora outlet store
air force one pas cher
Nike Online Store
adidas store
Nike Air Women
goedkope nike air max
Coach Bags On Sale
Air Nike
Air Max Sneakers
Adidas Neo Discount Sale
converse store
Hugo Boss Sale
Pandora Store
zapatillas nike baratas
Nike Shox Cheap
Ray-Ban Official Discounted Site
new jordan releases
UGG BOOTS FOR WOMEN
Boost Yeezy Sale On Line
uggs outlet
nike jordan shoes
zapatilla adidas
ADIDAS NMD SALE ON LINE
religion store
Discount Air Max
pandora jewelry store
nfl store
huarache sneakers
longchamp bags on sale
Negozi Pandora
Nike Roshe Run Sale
nike joggesko
Boutique Ugg
moncler outlet
TOMS SHOES OUTLET
nike air
abercrombie and fitch store
Jordan Shoes Air
nike shoes
Doudoune Moncler Pas Cher
zapatos de futbol nike
chaussure basket homme
Canada goose dam
Nike Air Huarache For Sale
billige nike sko
Chaussure Nike Air Max Pas Cher
Nike Soccer Cleats Boots
Moncler Sale
Uggs Pas Cher Soldes
Michael Kors Outlet
Nike Air Max Goedkoop
botas de futbol
Pandora Official Website
louboutin heels
Ugg boots Sale
Yeezy Black
Hogan Outlet
cheap nike air max
Nike Factory Store
new pandora charms
Cheap Michael Kors
Vans Black Sneakers
Jordan Schoenen
Soccer Boots Outlet nike
prada outlet
canada goose jacket outlet
Nike Air Pas Cher
Scarpe Air Max
nike air jordan pas cher
nike sportschuhe
hogan scontate
Air Max Kopen
Air Jordan Retro Sale
Air max dam
Air max levně
Timberland Outlet
cheap uggs for women
newest lebron shoes
ugg factory outlet
Descuentos Nike
Yeezy Boost Sale Online
Nike Air Max Cheap
Pandora Store
Nike Shox discount Sale
nike sb stefan janoski
Ugg Pas Cher En France
nike sneakers
Ugg Outlet Online Store
Stone Island Outlet
Moncler Jackets Discount Marketplace
Moncler Outlet Online
scarpe nike
Doudoune Moncler Site Officiel
Nike Air Damen
womens nike air max
Air Max Femme
Boty Nike Air
Adidas Superstar
Bottes Ugg Femme Pas Cher
Yeezy Shoes Discount Marketplace
Adidas Superstar Sale Online
Moncler Outlet Store
Ugg Pas Cher Femme
nike tn pas cher
pandora beads
Nike Air 90
chaussures nike pas cher
Canada Goose Womens Coats
reebok running shoes
retro jordans for cheap
günstige nike schuhe
Yeezy Men
official NHL jerseys
Nike Store
Toms Outlet Online
uggs for women
vans shoe store
Nike Pas Cher Femme
Jordan Store
toms shoes outlet
coach factory outlet online
Uggs For Cheap

ypMs 2017.3.21

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads