Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2259148 - 01/24/08 07:09 PM Our car is fast,but dont race it!
progressi Offline
Post Master Sr

So Subaru runs ads of it's cars rallying,they gave away SCCA licenses with WRX's then warrantys were voided. We wont go there with fragged trannies.

Mitsu claims it's clutch smoking 0-60 times from mags,and offers an RS version of it's Evos for racing (implied),then maybe denies warranty (they issued a public statement against this)when someone is seen autocrossing.

Ive heard from the dealership that there are markings on the hardware on Evos so they can void you if there is "tampering". I know of the metal tags.

GM denies Fbody owner warranty when tire rubber is found under fender.

GM denies Solstice owner warranty (temporarily) because the car came in with SCCA stickers on it (LOL).

BMW denies warranty,even for it's unibody tearing (they offer a repair for it in Europe!)when an owner autocrosses.

So check out this Mini thread,which is the worst because Mini had an ad with cones that you pop out of the mag and place on a parking lot to make your own autocross,and even ran an ad with a championship autocrosser with his victory Mini.

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/280419.aspx

So you guys still believe in warrantys? Is it fun enough to just daily drive a performance car that can never be autocrossed,dragged or run at a track?

How good is a 300HP car in traffic that can only be run (carefully) up to speed at 70. There are always ways to sneak around and goof off,but tickets,and the resultant insurance from them can be a hefty price. Not to mention the risk of actually going off the road compared to spinning at an autocross or on the track.

Videos
#2259184 - 01/24/08 07:18 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: progressi]
progressi Offline
Post Master Sr

Quote:
Surferjer:
Lotus says right in their manual that to best appreciate the car's attributes, it should be driven on a track. Yet they voided my warranty on a synchro issue for autoxing. f*ckers.

I think if you buy a car and decide to autox, you are on your own for drivetrain issues. I know I basically don't have one, and that is that. But it pisses me off when they encourage you to participate in any form of motorsports and then f*ck you over when you do. The fact that Mini has a motorsports division is encouragement to participate. How many f*cking Minis do you think you've sold for them? Probably quite a few

You can add Lotus to the list,LOL.

#2259270 - 01/24/08 07:40 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: progressi]
ResisterGo Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Buffalo NY
Wow, that's GAY. To support the guy one minute by giving him contingency and putting him in your advertisements, to yanking his warranty for ONE autocross the next minute... that's low. Not to mention the fact that he's personally owned what, 3-4 Minis?

I think if I were him, that piece of shit would be on the lawn with a For Sale sign TONIGHT, and I'd be at the Mazda dealer tomorrow picking up an RX-8 or MX-5. At least Mazda appreciates and supports their grassroots racers.

A good example is Mazdaspeed Motorsports Competition. Autocross or race 3 times a year, send the results in to them, and get parts at WELL below dealer cost. My EGR valve needs replacing. Cheapest place I could find online was selling it for around $240. I can get it through Mazdaspeed for $160, just because I happen to enjoy autocrossing. THAT'S how manufacturers should treat their most loyal group of enthusiast customers.

#2259344 - 01/24/08 07:57 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: ResisterGo]
beerslurpy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Spring Hill, FL
Autocross and track days aren't much more strenuous than spirited road driving. If an unmodified sports car manages to fail its engine or transmission just from driving fast, that is entirely on the manufacturer. A car marketed as suitable for motorsports should at least be capable of being driven hard.

Obviously it would be different if a customer wanted to do rally and then warranty the car for rock dings and damaged suspension components, but that is because even the best prepped rally cars still treat suspension parts as wear items. No one would expect a car to puke the transmission from a track day unless the engine was matched to far too weak a transmission, which would be the fault of whoever put it together like that. Which in the case of a stock car is the manufacturer.

#2259360 - 01/24/08 08:04 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: ResisterGo]
theLoon Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: MN
Well, it's exceedingly lame for manufacturers to advertise products based on their "racing pedigree" or capabilities, if they're not going to support folks involved in sanctioned racing. If manufacturers put resources into supporting grassroots racing, instead of paying lawyers to figure out how to screw their customers over, it'd probably be a wash.

That said, I also think it's idiotic for owners of warrantied vehicles to track their cars. Right, wrong or indifferent, you're still taking a huge risk. And at the end of the day, you have to pay to play. There's street cars and there's track cars. If you can't figure out the fucking difference, it's your responsibility to foot the bill when shit goes south.

#2259365 - 01/24/08 08:06 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: beerslurpy]
RiceEater T/A Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Northern VA
It depends alot on the dealer. Back when I had my ws6 I drove and it was under warranty, a speed sensor crapped out so I took it in to get serviced at the local laid back dealer who replaced it asap without a word.

Had rubber on the rear, nitrous still hooked up, racing number/e.t from the night before, and all he said was "well you know we wouldnt warranty any engine issues you could have because of the nitrous right?" I was like yea obviously.

#2259367 - 01/24/08 08:08 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: beerslurpy]
theLoon Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: MN
 Originally Posted By: beerslurpy
Autocross and track days aren't much more strenuous than spirited road driving.
I dunno about that. I think if that were true, it'd be relatively cheap and easy to get "autocross insurance" or "track day insurance".

#2259505 - 01/24/08 08:52 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: progressi]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Last I heard BMW looks for excuses not to pay for the subframe ripping on ANY of their cars, autocrossed or not. Still one of the most incredibly shady things I've ever seen a manufacturer do, between the horrendous engineering and the terrible followup in America.
#2259628 - 01/24/08 09:29 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: NOT spotch...]
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Don't think for a minute that while Mazda supports its racers very well that they won't void your warranty on that new RX-8 or Miata if you autocross it. I feel bad for the guy, but you don't buy a new car and race it (and while not wheel to wheel, autocrossing is racing) and expect to keep the warranty.

#2259980 - 01/24/08 11:11 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: skierd]
RacerXI Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Dothan, AL
I don't trust a warranty any farther than I can throw the service manager. In the world of abuse, I'd take drag racing, track days, and autocross. Oh well, I'm a 28 y/o guy so I've never even seen what a warranty looks like.

#2260104 - 01/24/08 11:56 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: RacerXI]
progressi Offline
Post Master Sr

LOL,I dont know if you guys read the whole thing,but a Lotus guy mentioned that the dealer checked the ECU and found "several launches with wheelspin",and several trips to 8500 which meant alot of "missed shifts",so they were going to deny his warranty.

Wow.

Ive seen some shady stuff on EvoM,where a kid claimed he had a defective piston just crack on his Evo,then others found posts where he was modding his car,then asking why it blew up,turned out he leaned out and cracked a ring land. Dude was making a huge stink online.

So yeah,thats one side,but some of this stuff is pretty bad. I agree with Beer,I dunno about track days,but autocross seems pretty tame.

I thought Id put a clutch in my Evo when I had it,because they are like a fuse for the newbs,but the idea that I could void the entire warranty because they found a bolt had been removed is pretty hairball.

There's a friend of a friend that had a blown STI 2.5,dealer told him the oil consumption was normal,kept giving him the runaround,finally,they found he had replaced a factory bolt on the exhaust with one from the hardware store. Black listed. He spent 10,000 after that.

#2260498 - 01/25/08 03:13 AM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: progressi]
theraven Offline
Poster

If you read the last page of that thread, it looks like it got cleared up in the end.

This particular case was messed up and I would be pissed if it happened to me, but I can't say I blame some of the companies from being such pricks. People are trying to commit fraud all the time by modding something beyond their knowledge, end up blowing something up, then de-mod it and try crawl back to the dealer for a free fix. Then companies try to crack down and end up overcompensating and piss off owners that actually weren't trying to defraud them.

I imagine it is a hard balance to strike between handing out engines/trans like candy to morons defrauding them and being pricks by denying warranties for minor mods or autox. It is made worse by the moronic dealerships and layers of managers that come into play and cause misunderstandings and poor communication.

#2260675 - 01/25/08 07:59 AM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: theraven]
FCobra94 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
 Originally Posted By: theraven
People are trying to commit fraud all the time by modding something beyond their knowledge, end up blowing something up, then de-mod it and try crawl back to the dealer for a free fix. Then companies try to crack down and end up overcompensating and piss off owners that actually weren't trying to defraud them.

Yeah, that's the problem right there. It's funny that you mentioned the moronic managers though; I cringe at the fact that I have to do my own homework and then school the people at the dealership on how to fix my car before it properly gets taken care of.

#2260717 - 01/25/08 08:23 AM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: FCobra94]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
Beerslurpy said it in another thread, and I agree - I'm much happier with my cars out of warranty. Fuck, I never did anything wrong in the SRT-4, but the few times I had it in it felt like I was guilty until proven innocent. One of the things that soured me against buying any more new Dodges.

cheers,
scott

#2260753 - 01/25/08 08:39 AM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: scootergeek]
Adam G Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Arrr-Kansas
As a matter of contract law, the manufacturers are right for denying the warranty claims.

However, this smells like some sort of viable class action lawsuit under consumer fraud law, i.e. advertising particular merits of your product and then voiding the warranty when the customer uses it accordingly.

Edited by Adam G (01/25/08 08:40 AM)

#2260816 - 01/25/08 09:08 AM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: Adam G]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
What a bunch of bullshit. "Our cars will do this, and we'll use that aspect to sell as many as we can, but if YOU do what we did to sell you the car, your warranty is void"

How the fuck can that even be legal.

#2260836 - 01/25/08 09:15 AM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: RiceEater T/A]
blueSIguy Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: NE
 Originally Posted By: RiceEater T/A
It depends alot on the dealer.

No doubt, we have GM dealer in town that has amazing service while the others get caught not rotating tires but still charging people.

Mitsu has always been a joke so no surprise there, and Subaru's while normally reliable also have poor service ratings in my area.

Look at the other ads on TV especially the "diet" ones, you don't have to be accountable for what is said in ads no matter if its a car or a pill.

Buyer Beware

#2260842 - 01/25/08 09:16 AM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: LNXGUY]
Dan Smith Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: Land of Ahs
 Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
What a bunch of bullshit. "Our cars will do this, and we'll use that aspect to sell as many as we can, but if YOU do what we did to sell you the car, your warranty is void"

How the fuck can that even be legal.

Unfortunately, Adam could probably explain to you in detail how alot of this is perfectly legal. I do believe the magnusson-moss act could have saved the Subaru guy with the different bolt in the exhaust, but maybe not. These warranty deals are like the car commercials that show Nissans doing J-turns and at the bottom of the screen the small print of course says, "Professional driver on closed course. Do not attempt on public roads."

#2262074 - 01/25/08 03:15 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: Adam G]
allan r Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: the land of cheese
 Originally Posted By: Adam G
As a matter of contract law, the manufacturers are right for denying the warranty claims.

However, this smells like some sort of viable class action lawsuit under consumer fraud law, i.e. advertising particular merits of your product and then voiding the warranty when the customer uses it accordingly.

I disagree with the second part. This is an extremely fine line to walk, both on the consumer side and the mfg side. On the one hand, the mfg builds a fun car and advertizes it as such. Ok fine.

(Not to point a finger directly at the MINI guy; that guy being sponsored should probably have had more support. But to use him as a general example): So the customer beats his gearbox to shit on the autocross course and expects a warranty claim. Warranty covers manufacturer defects in material and installation period. Alot of drivers, and you all have seen them, beat the living hell out of their cars sometimes, trying to get that extra .10th or just being a dumbass, and now the mfg has to start walking that line of defect vs abuse. You CAN race your car without abusing it but we all know so many people do it.

Eventually they get pre-emptive and deny claims just for evidence of abuse (like tire wear) or even evidence of participation. Advertizing your car implying intent for light competition use does not in any way shape or form give the customer the right to use that advertizing for justification on how he abused his gearbox/redline/etc etc and broke something. You CAN race your car without abusing it.

to bring it back to Subaru in 2001-2002, when they gave out that 1-yr SCCA membership, they were most likely jumping the gun in many cases. I had a guy tell me that the regional Subaru rep was writing down VIN's at a Milwaukee SCCA event. THAT might fall under Adam's proposed class-action suit, since people's warranties were getting voided before they even made a claim.

Its a super fine line. Both sides have their justifications but the mfg's hold the power so all we can do is protect ourselves best we can. I might just take down my track vids from youtube.

#2262276 - 01/25/08 04:10 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: allan r]
Destro909 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Lynn, MA
next time.. race without plates and cover up the VIN #'s. \:D

#2262417 - 01/25/08 05:07 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: beerslurpy]
Nealoc187 Offline
<3
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Lisle, IL formerly Kalamazoo, ...
track days aren't much more strenuous than spirited road driving

I agree with most of what you said, but this made chuckle. When I do track days and HPDEs, I'm driving a FUCKLOAD harder than I've ever driven on the street. I've never gone through a set of pads and rotors in a day on the street, nor put significant wear on a set of tires in a day on the street.

#2262556 - 01/25/08 06:13 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: Nealoc187]
danl Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Maryland USA
I think 99% of problems are owner inflicted not "racing" inflicted. Case in point my evo see's spirited driving. Hell it sees a lot of time sideways in a given commute day. I do it smartly though. I slip and slide with the clutch. I never pop the clutch or jam gears. I always get it up to temp before doing donuts in a snowy parking lot. I also change my fluids all the damm time. Where I grew up a kid has an evo 9, newer than mine less miles. His is always in the shop. It will be in the shop a lot more in the future, he had all the drivetrain fluids changed at jiffy lube.
#2262758 - 01/25/08 07:28 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: danl]
Noob4Life Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: IL, USA
 Originally Posted By: danl
I think 99% of problems are owner inflicted not "racing" inflicted. Case in point my evo see's spirited driving. Hell it sees a lot of time sideways in a given commute day. I do it smartly though. I slip and slide with the clutch. I never pop the clutch or jam gears. I always get it up to temp before doing donuts in a snowy parking lot. I also change my fluids all the damm time. Where I grew up a kid has an evo 9, newer than mine less miles. His is always in the shop. It will be in the shop a lot more in the future, he had all the drivetrain fluids changed at jiffy lube.

Speaking of fluid changes: I took it up at the ass @ $489 to get all my fluids changed at the local dealership, but I made really sure they used all the right stuff. Its just too damn cold and dirty and snowy here to get under the car. \:\(

#2262777 - 01/25/08 07:33 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: Noob4Life]
danl Offline
Post Master Supreme

$489 IS BULLSHIT. Its $70/case for 3 tx/rear flushes. $9/quart (3 quarts per tranny flush). Mobil1/OEM filter $25.
#2262778 - 01/25/08 07:33 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: danl]
progressi Offline
Post Master Sr

Ouch! Id never bring anything to Jiffy lube. I had a friend take his brand new Camaro to Jiffy lube, he left a huge oil stain all the way out of the car onto the street,drove a block when the oil light came on. They told him his car was fine,even though it drove a block without oil!

They screwed the filter on over the old gasket!

It truly does depend on the dealer,my dealership said if they put the aftermarket clutch in for me,they'd warranty it.

I had an experience like one mentioned above. My cousin brought his Evo into a dealership thanks to a weird noise (I told you about that one Dan),and I heard "as long as it's not modded" like 5 times before they even agreed to look at it. Until we totally calmed them down,they wanted labor up front to look at his warrantied,completely stock car.

I know the shop foreman at this place,and he said that all Evos have to be approved for drivetrain diagnosis after a customer got away with a free engine. He brought it in for a second motor and the factory rep found direct port nitrous taps in the manifold!

For the record,it's true (I read the whole thing later) that the Mini guy got hooked up,but imagine if someone didnt know that motorsports guy he did. They'd be done.

#2262794 - 01/25/08 07:47 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: Noob4Life]
orangegrey Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Bay Area
Eh, I have to deal with warrenty stuff every day as part of my job. It really is a fine line and a lot of stuff falls into the "grey zone". If a dealer does a warrenty job and it gets rejected by corporate then the dealer can be made to pay for the work out of pocket. If it happens often enough they'll audit the dealer, and you're suddenly talking millions of dollars. Obviously, they're going to be a little bit cautious. A stock car should be built to handle track work without blowing up (assuming no misshifts, etc.), but once you start modifying shit all bets are off.
"A racing car whose hood is adorned with great pipes, like serpents of explosive breath, a roaring car that seems to ride on grapeshot, is more beautiful than the Victory of Samothrace." - The First Futurist Manifesto (1909)

#2262815 - 01/25/08 07:57 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: danl]
Noob4Life Offline
Post Master Supreme

there like labor, and they replaced various gaskets and filters. For some reason, the fucking thermostat was $75. Does the Evo has some sort of ultra-mega-super thermostat? the service guy spotted it and got the charge reduced to a more reasonable $28 or something.

edit: this service wasn't covered under my warranty so I paid for it all out of pocket. which sucked major asshole..

Edited by Noob4Life (01/25/08 07:58 PM)

#2262821 - 01/25/08 07:59 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: danl]
progressi Offline
Post Master Sr

$489 IS BULLSHIT. Its $70/case for 3 tx/rear flushes. $9/quart (3 quarts per tranny flush). Mobil1/OEM filter $25.
Crazy thing is,alot of dealerships dont even use Diaqueen for the trannys,Dan! So you're often getting charged what noob did for off the Autozone shelf Valvoline!

#2262944 - 01/25/08 09:43 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: progressi]
danl Offline
Post Master Supreme

Why are you getting a thermostat on a new evo?
#2262963 - 01/25/08 10:03 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: danl]
Moof Offline
Mounts the residents
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadia
I called Subaru Canada this afternoon to ask them a question about CAA, warranty, and flat-bedding my car 7 hours to the closest place that CAN do the warranty work. They put me on hold for 25 minutes, then it told me that work hours were over and hung up on me.

.... according to the message, they were still open for another 3 hours.

#2263147 - 01/25/08 11:52 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: Moof]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
One sparkplug for my FXT = $44.

Testicles. That is all.

#2263421 - 01/26/08 02:35 AM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: danl]
progressi Offline
Post Master Sr

Why are you getting a thermostat on a new evo?
Mitsu prices have always been totally reasonable to me. Heck,a brand new Jatco CVT trans for our Outlander is 2k in the crate.

#2263598 - 01/26/08 09:24 AM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: progressi]
danl Offline
Post Master Supreme

Mitsu thermostats are the best quality t-stats I've ever seen. I love them and will only use them. Still why is the dealership replacing a stat on his new evo? I've never actually seen an OEM t-stat fail but I'd imagine you would have to stick around for 10 years and 150,000 miles before doing so.
#2263742 - 01/26/08 11:47 AM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: Nealoc187]
beerslurpy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Spring Hill, FL
 Originally Posted By: Nealoc187
track days aren't much more strenuous than spirited road driving

I agree with most of what you said, but this made chuckle. When I do track days and HPDEs, I'm driving a FUCKLOAD harder than I've ever driven on the street. I've never gone through a set of pads and rotors in a day on the street, nor put significant wear on a set of tires in a day on the street.

I think I should have been clearer, but this reinforces my point- your drivetrain isn't a wear item unless you are using the clutch in place of your brake pads.

edit:
I can see anyone having brake or tire issues at a track day. However, the only people who should be having drivetrain issues at a track day are people who have modified their cars and not upgraded clutch/trans/cooling/etc to compensate for the increased strain. A car, especially a car with a 50 or 100k drivetrain warranty is supposed to be able to be driven hard without breaking. All of the drivetrain parts should be engineered to take the rated power of the car for years at a time without wearing out. I can understand if the oil gets overheated or if the coolant boils over and the owner keeps driving, but especially a sports car should anticipate that this might happen and have overheat safeguards in place or at least a buzzer/CEL.

#2263785 - 01/26/08 12:09 PM Re: Our car is fast,but dont race it! [Re: danl]
Noob4Life Offline
Post Master Supreme

Mitsu thermostats are the best quality t-stats I've ever seen. I love them and will only use them. Still why is the dealership replacing a stat on his new evo? I've never actually seen an OEM t-stat fail but I'd imagine you would have to stick around for 10 years and 150,000 miles before doing so.

<--- typical uneducated consumer

I only requested the fluids to be changed, no gaskets or t-stats, but if dude came over and said "Hey gaskets and the t-stat are part of normal maintenance" I would have accepted that. Live and learn.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads