Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#6661897 - 10/21/12 06:45 PM Outdoor Mechanic's pit/car ramp
00Formula
Unregistered

I built an outdoor car ramp at the edge of my dad's back yard as a teenager to work on cars, and it's since rotted away. He recently had the land cleared off and have them dig out the old ramp. It was made out of 4x4's, 2x12's etc. but it elevated the car about five feet off the ground. The property dropped off, so the ramp was cut into the side of the slight hill to get the elevation change needed. It was built into a hillside like this:

but with four sets of wooden posts and wooden supports like this:

I'd like to either build a new ramp to work on cars or get a lift. Sadly my garage is not tall enough to get even a low ceiling lift which requires 9'3". My garage is only about 8'6" tall. There are some other lower height lift options, but they will take up more room in the garage like a four post lift. There are some mid-lift's but they restrict all work under the car basically. Do you guys have any recommendations? I estimate I can build a wooden ramp for about $400, vs almost any lift at $1400+. With a two post lift though I could do wheels, brakes, suspension etc which would be nice.

Videos
#6662511 - 10/22/12 07:23 AM Re: Outdoor Mechanic's pit/car ramp [Re: ]
madmatt Offline
Post Master Supreme

Lift or nothing IMO. I'd you can't do all the work you'd want to, why bother building the ramp. Just use jackstands at that point.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads