Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#266196 - 05/19/06 09:49 PM Dos and Donts of Manual Transmissions
gl_itch Offline

Loc: CA
Ok, so Ive had my SI for about a week now. This is the car I learned to drive stick on. I thought I was doing well, I mastered it in about a day and Ive had no problems, havent stalled since the day I bought it, I believe I know how to shift properly and all that. But today, when getting off the freeway, i was downshifting to 3rd, and it wouldnt go...it was stuck in neutral... I figured oh maybe my clutch isnt all the way in or something, stepped on it again...still no go. I got a bit nervous, and I waited then tried it again and got it into 3rd finally... I began to give it gas and my clutch started shaking! I knew something was wrong, the second I got off the freeway I couldnt accellerate, it was as if I was in neutral, only I knew I was in 3rd. I tried all gears, and figured well I better put my hazard lights on. So I stopeed, and just my luck a cop pulls up behind me. I stop, he comes to my window and asks whats wrong, I had no clue ha. So I turn the car off, try again...cant even get the car to accelerate. He says he thinks I burned out my clutch, so my friend in the passenger pushes me to the nearest parking lot. I waited 2 hours for a tow truck and got it to a shop. So Im carless for the weekend now, which Im not worried about.

What I am worried about is this..what could I have done to cause this? I dont want it to happen again on my next clutch. Heres basically how I drive, please correct me:

I often ride the clutch at stop lights/signs/any stops at all, should I not? Should I not hold the clutch in at all when stopped and only the breaks? But wont that kill the engine? I read somewhere that I shouldnt. Could that have caused anything? When I downshift approaching a stoplight/sign should I ever ride the clutch? Or should I let it decellerate itself as I downshift. Also, when downshifting say from 3rd, should I go from 3rd, to 2nd, to 1st to stop? Or should I go from 3rd to ride the clutch to 1st (at a slow speed, 20mph >), to stop? Any dos and donts of the clutch would be MUCH appreciated. I dont want to have to replace the clutch again in such a short time. Thank you in advanced!

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#266197 - 05/19/06 11:01 PM Re: Dos and Donts of Manual Transmissions
Anonymous
Unregistered

1. Don't shift into first until you stop.
2. Don't ride the clutch at all. If you have the clutch barely rubbing the flywheel, it will burn. That halfway on the clutch shit just won't cut it, the clutch doesn't like it, nor do the sychros.
3. If the car is in neutral, you can take your foot off the clutch all you like.
4. When you get the car back, trade it for something with a slushbox so none of us get behind your ass when you are repeatedly stalling redlight after redlight.

#266198 - 05/20/06 12:07 AM Re: Dos and Donts of Manual Transmissions
gl_itch Offline

Thanks! I read up on the clutch and how it works and Im a bit more aware of what can damage it and what wont, although I have a feeling my clutch may have been ready to go when I bought it and I just made it worse, quicker, since I learned on it. But, we all must learn some how...right? Unfortunately the way I learned, cost me a shop bill.

Also, like I said I havent stalled since day 1, so you dont have to worry bout 'bein behind my ass'...Im not gonna roll into anyone either. (i pray to god i dont). And no way would I trade this car, Im loving it .

#266199 - 05/20/06 12:58 PM Re: Dos and Donts of Manual Transmissions
jellydoughnutt Offline
Post Master Sr

how much did the replacment clutch run you?

"hell do you mean it has potential? WHERE you born stupid or something?"-Nooky04

#266200 - 05/20/06 10:29 PM Re: Dos and Donts of Manual Transmissions
gl_itch Offline

Well including the labor its costing me $750. I pick it up Monday. Supposedly the clutch looked worn, the seller claimed he replaced it at 77k =/, im at 82k. Ehhh. And they said it was low on transmission fluid.
#266201 - 05/21/06 12:43 PM Re: Dos and Donts of Manual Transmissions
Steve8910 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Murrieta, CA
Pretty much what david said, you never want to downshift into 1st, if your just sitting a a light and are going to be there for a lil put it in neutral and take your foot off the clutch, dont just push the clutch in and roll to a stop its better to put it in neutral if your going to do that, pretty much if you dont need the clutch engaged dont engage it just leave it in neutral... right?
b16a w/ CP 9:1 Pistons & Eagle Rods [] RLD FAB Custom Ramhorn & 3" Downpipe[] Blockguard [] JDM LSD [] T3/T4 .60/.63 Trim Garrett [] Spearco Intercooler [] Hondata S300 [] RC 550cc [] HKS SSQV BOV [] Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump [] Greddy Profec B Spec II [] Greddy Auto Timer [] Custom 2.5" Intercooler Piping [] 3" Custom Exhaust [] Skunk2 Pro Camber Kit and Springs [] Skunk2 Duel bend short shifter [] 12" Slim Fan []

#266202 - 06/15/06 04:32 PM Re: Dos and Donts of Manual Transmissions
SIpimpin13 Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Illinois, United States
4. When you get the car back, trade it for something with a slushbox so none of us get behind your ass when you are repeatedly stalling redlight after redlight.

wahahaha, good stuff right there
"At a stoplight, green means go, yellow means slow down, and red means stop. For a banana it's just the opposite. Green means hold on, yellow means go right ahead, and red means, dude, where the fuck did you get that banana at?" -Mitch Hedberg, God of Comedians

#266203 - 06/17/06 01:23 AM Re: Dos and Donts of Manual Transmissions
#lodestar Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not in Kansas anymore
umm......i dont mean to be a dick

did you not notice the terrible burning smell? If you are really burning your clutch out you should be able to smell it. It smells different the burning rubber by the way.

some people have some good points. If you are down shifting when you are slowing down to a stop that is going to put more wear and tear on your clutch because it has to deal with disapating power instead of applying it to the tranny. When you get your car back, dont go driving on hills! If you do have to drive on hills then learn how to start your car from a stop on a hill. "Clutch rolling", when you balance the clutch and gas so the car doesnt move but doesnt fall back, adds more wear on the car.

I take no joy in owning you people like this anymore. Now I just feel like I'm teaching a retarded class & doing God's work."
-Napoleon complex things

#266204 - 06/20/06 08:05 AM Re: Dos and Donts of Manual Transmissions
Bo Mook Administrator Offline
The Mooks of Haztard
Post Master Supreme

Loc: county
do use it
don't eat it

#266205 - 06/21/06 08:15 PM Re: Dos and Donts of Manual Transmissions
dohcvtecguy Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tampa,Fl mofrappy's
wahahaha, good stuff right there

#266206 - 06/25/06 08:15 PM Re: Dos and Donts of Manual Transmissions
Si GUY99 Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: On A Whole New Level
Quote:

umm......i dont mean to be a dick

did you not notice the terrible burning smell? If you are really burning your clutch out you should be able to smell it. It smells different the burning rubber by the way.

some people have some good points. If you are down shifting when you are slowing down to a stop that is going to put more wear and tear on your clutch because it has to deal with disapating power instead of applying it to the tranny. When you get your car back, dont go driving on hills! If you do have to drive on hills then learn how to start your car from a stop on a hill. "Clutch rolling", when you balance the clutch and gas so the car doesnt move but doesnt fall back, adds more wear on the car.

Uhh why wouldn't you downshift coming up to a stopsign?? either the clutch is gonna take the abuse or the brakes are. and you'll stop quicker by downshifting thans just braking. I just ticked 130xxx and been blown for the last yr on stock clutch driving like that

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bo Mook, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads