Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8986346 - 03/28/17 10:52 AM I'm sick of paying MERs. Self directed RRSPs?
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
My one mutual fund took an ass kicking last year but of course that doesn't matter as the fund manager has to be paid. To be honest I'm fucking sick of it especially when I start adding up those fees year after year. I'm pretty well diversified but this account is around the 100k mark and it scares the shit out of me to think about managing it myself. This is my retirement we're talking about nothing I'm going to take lightly. I'm sure a few of you guys are in charge of.your own investments I'd really appreciate a little advice on the matter.

#8986444 - 03/28/17 11:57 AM Re: I'm sick of paying MERs. Self directed RRSPs? [Re: LNXGUY]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
Buy ETFs. Think of them exactly likely mutual funds, but they are traded on the stock market. You can buy ones that are indexed so that you don't need to actively manage the portfolio. The MERs tend to be lower than mutual funds. All you need to do is setup a brokerage account. Some of them like Questrade offer commission-free ETF trades.

Google "couch potato portfolio" to get an idea of what ETFs to buy if you want an indexed portfolio. I use it for my kids' money.

#8986458 - 03/28/17 12:05 PM Re: I'm sick of paying MERs. Self directed RRSPs? [Re: SW20_MR2]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

I've got about 25k socked away in a LIRA right now (pension roll down at work had to do something with the $$$). All invested in TD E-Series ETFs which are doing pretty good actually lol.

#8986460 - 03/28/17 12:05 PM Re: I'm sick of paying MERs. Self directed RRSPs? [Re: SW20_MR2]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada
you can always switch over to TD's e-series mutual funds

they're index funds with low MER

or pay a wee bit and go Robo with Wealth Simple

#8986471 - 03/28/17 12:10 PM Re: I'm sick of paying MERs. Self directed RRSPs? [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

I guess I've never thought of ETFs as mutual funds per say. Stupid of me I guess. The MERs are way lower for sure (0.45%) compared to the 2.4% I'm paying now.

#8986685 - 03/28/17 01:49 PM Re: I'm sick of paying MERs. Self directed RRSPs? [Re: LNXGUY]
snowman888 Offline
Jr Member

buy a bank stock, it'll pay you high dividends and the stock will increase steadily
#8986905 - 03/28/17 03:54 PM Re: I'm sick of paying MERs. Self directed RRSPs? [Re: snowman888]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Don't buy TD's E series, they are shit performance wise. Low MER, but their allocation to track market sucks compared to vanguard. I've been in TD e series for over half a decade and have left a lot of money on table even with the low commissions.

vanguard the fuck out of everything and go to bed.

#8986922 - 03/28/17 04:03 PM Re: I'm sick of paying MERs. Self directed RRSPs? [Re: Risky Business]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks Vas, I'll look into Vanguard. I'm up across the board with the E-series I've purchased, maybe I got lucky and it's time to move that $$$ around.

#8986945 - 03/28/17 04:08 PM Re: I'm sick of paying MERs. Self directed RRSPs? [Re: LNXGUY]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
yeah, vanguard is the sh!t if you're self managing.

TD has some wanna be ETFs which act like mutual funds if you're interested

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/2017/03/23/how-td-put-the-managed-in-etf-portfolios/

(higher MERs tho)

#8986984 - 03/28/17 04:28 PM Re: I'm sick of paying MERs. Self directed RRSPs? [Re: LNXGUY]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
Thanks Vas, I'll look into Vanguard. I'm up across the board with the E-series I've purchased, maybe I got lucky and it's time to move that $$$ around.

You weren't lucky, actually you were unlucky lol.

The point is that with how well the market has done over the last 6+ years, your TD e series tracking the same thing would be up 6% (as an example) a year whereas a vanguard fund tracking the same thing would be up 8%+ so you've "lost" even though you are up (so is everyone else).

#8987751 - 03/29/17 10:01 AM Re: I'm sick of paying MERs. Self directed RRSPs? [Re: Risky Business]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Hey I'm just happy to not be losing money! \:\) I'll take a closer look at Vanguard and make some decisions. I wonder how my financial advisor is going to take this? Lol

#8987897 - 03/29/17 10:59 AM Re: I'm sick of paying MERs. Self directed RRSPs? [Re: LNXGUY]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-co...-risk-1.4044702

adviser vs advisor ... \:\|

Quote:
What's in a vowel?

A common trick for misleading customers, according to Elford, is the banking industry's use of the term "financial advisor" — spelled with an "o."

He says "advisor" is an unregulated title that anyone can use, whereas the title "adviser" — spelled with an "e" — can only be used if the employee has a fiduciary responsibility to the client.

"Advisors can sell you the third, fourth, fifth or least beneficial product to you," Elford said. "They do that a great deal of the time if it makes them more commissions, or if their bank manager is telling them they need to sell more of the house-brand product."

The Ontario Securities Commission confirms that "adviser" is a legal term under securities law that describes a person or company that is registered to give advice about securities, whereas "advisor" is not.

In an email to Go Public, the Canadian Securities Administrators confirmed that it does not regulate most titles used by employees in the financial industry.

Edited by furball (03/29/17 02:17 PM)

#8988027 - 03/29/17 11:59 AM Re: I'm sick of paying MERs. Self directed RRSPs? [Re: furball]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Scary. I wouldn't trust any advice coming from the bank to be honest.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads