Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8552319 - 02/12/16 07:55 AM When you talk to people...
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Do you find that a small, but significant chunk of people have a hard time providing concise answers to questions as they were asked?

Don't get me wrong, how you word your question could also be the issue, but lets assume all is fine on that end. Why can't people answer simple questions with simple answers, less is more in almost every context. Why do they have to go on a tangent, why do they have to provide context when context is not needed, why are they thinking 10 steps ahead or 10 steps back and phrasing their answer as if they were asked a completely different question?

Finding myself more and more that I have to provide context/preface to every question I ask and then keep every question to a yes/no to limit the responder's ability to go on a tangent giving me irrelevant info. It's like dealing with a caged animal, the second you let them out (open ended question, or a question that's not limiting them to specific bounds) it's game over, you wasted 30 minutes of your life. God forbid you interrupted them in order to move on "oh he doesn't respect my opinion"

lettuce discuss how to solve the above.

#8552329 - 02/12/16 08:19 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Risky Business]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
Are you talking about interviewing poeple? Or are you talking about asking questions that are impossible to answer definitively.

Its like when my managing director asks me whats the risk of doing this, or leaving it as it. Impossible to give a concise answer because the the answer is always prefaced by "it depends", i.e. Context is always needed.

I hate having to manage up, giving as little information as possible because more questions that want to make me pull my hair out will follow if I elaborate too much in the answer. Is that what your staff are doing to you?

IMO, you are becoming one of those C-Suite aggregators of information who think their job is just to look at the variables and make a decision, when in truth, you aren't grasping the nuances and subtleties of the answer.

#8552335 - 02/12/16 08:23 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
I find that happens quite a bit, but it's usually with females lol /sexist

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8552408 - 02/12/16 09:53 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Hatorade]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada
LOL gimme a break.
You want to see bad? Talk to brits.
They use 20 words when it can be summed up in 3.

I side with Vas on this doe. It's not a matter of requiring someone to manage up in the communication. If you are at leadership level at any real capacity, you should have lived the life enough to be able to connect the dots without requiring a 15 minute explanation to every question.

Honestly this is solvable by demonstrating you get it, and you don't need the convo to continue. Not saying this needs to happen directly in the convo and you cut them off mid-way. But it's more how the conversation is carried and you blowing their minds on your capacity to understand the impact beyond what the dude is explaining.

XD XD XD XD

#8552500 - 02/12/16 10:46 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Hatorade]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
 Originally Posted By: Hatorade
nailllllled it.

You won't solve it. Just have to deal with it.

#8552540 - 02/12/16 11:00 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Hatorade]
The Postman Offline
A-List Member also The Man
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Hatorade

My wife is the worst. I'll ask her a question and the answer I get back typically has nothing to do with what I asked her lol.

#8552541 - 02/12/16 11:00 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Euphoricuck]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

This sums it up

#8552544 - 02/12/16 11:01 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck
Are you talking about interviewing poeple? Or are you talking about asking questions that are impossible to answer definitively.

Its like when my managing director asks me whats the risk of doing this, or leaving it as it. Impossible to give a concise answer because the the answer is always prefaced by "it depends", i.e. Context is always needed.

I hate having to manage up, giving as little information as possible because more questions that want to make me pull my hair out will follow if I elaborate too much in the answer. Is that what your staff are doing to you?

IMO, you are becoming one of those C-Suite aggregators of information who think their job is just to look at the variables and make a decision, when in truth, you aren't grasping the nuances and subtleties of the answer.

Uh yea so you seem to fit into the type I was just talking about.

You get paid a lot of money to make complex things simple for the layman. No one cares how many boxes you draw in excel to represent the network schematic, nor does anyone care why it's colour coded the way it is or if you did it on a 27" 4k Dell. Use your judgement to provide a concise solution and identify any potential risk and probability, that's it. It's widely accepted that decisions are not made with complete info or correct info so stop adding filler, just answer the question as it was asked, no justification is needed as you were put in a position where it's assumed you already understand and have accounted for incompleteness/incorrect info and their potential impact.

#8552546 - 02/12/16 11:02 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Euphoricuck]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
HAHAHA

Like Vas, I seriously despise people that go off on tangents. Like fuck, just get to the fucking point for fuck sakes!

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8552549 - 02/12/16 11:03 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Risky Business]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Depends on the question doe

#8552551 - 02/12/16 11:03 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Euphoricuck]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
This sums it up

LMAO, this explains Wayne.

#8552553 - 02/12/16 11:04 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Euphoricuck]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Depends on the question doe

No shit, if I asked for an explanation, go ahead and talk my ear off within reason. If I asked for Yes/No/Maybe, don't tell me "it depends" and proceed to re write the fucking bible.

#8552570 - 02/12/16 11:15 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Risky Business]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Risky Business

You get paid a lot of money to make complex things simple for the layman. No one cares how many boxes you draw in excel to represent the network schematic, nor does anyone care why it's colour coded the way it is or if you did it on a 27" 4k Dell. Use your judgement to provide a concise solution and identify any potential risk and probability, that's it. It's widely accepted that decisions are not made with complete info or correct info so stop adding filler, just answer the question as it was asked, no justification is needed as you were put in a position where it's assumed you already understand and have accounted for incompleteness/incorrect info and their potential impact.

C suite material right hur.....
Makes decisions with incomplete picture because won't take time to listen to the options, and sees everything in black or white, no nuances.

Typical scenario, boss looks and me and says we need to build this DC on 1 million dollar budget, not the 2 mill you came up with. What can I cut and whats the risk. The risk is your shit isn't redundant and could fail in the most spectacular way when you need it the most is the terse answer. The full answer is it depends on what fails, so you better listen so you can make the decision on what you want to cut....

Never happens that way doe, I'll cut this this and this, and you'll deal with it, I still want it to be redundant.....

I'm guessing that's how Risky wants answers......

#8552572 - 02/12/16 11:19 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Risky Business]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
In an education environment Most people take forever to get to the fucking point when they're being asked a simple question.

Blue collar environment on the other hand, I do miss being in it on a full time basis, everything was quick and simple with a little bullshitting around.

#8552573 - 02/12/16 11:20 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Risky Business

C suite material right hur.....
Makes decisions with incomplete picture because won't take time to listen to the options, and sees everything in black or white, no nuances.

Here we go.

If you think for every decision you make you will execute perfection if you took more time you are out to lunch. After a certain point the diminishing returns are exponential when trying to account for everything. That's why your job is to filter all the crap and answer based on your knowledge/experience in a way that you aren't wasting 30 minutes of someone's time.

You think a brain surgeon is working with perfect information, perfect environment, perfect patient, perfect staff? Time is always a constraint, you have to move forward. By your definition you would let the person die/bleed to death because you haven't yet explained your situation and perfectly sterilized your tools?

#8552578 - 02/12/16 11:22 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Risky Business]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

So you are comparing making business decisions to brain surgery? Again, a brain surgeon doesn't know all the variables because they aren't known. In most business situations, the variables are known, but the senior managers don't want to take the time to understand. You hired a subject matter expert, let them give you a complete picture.
#8552580 - 02/12/16 11:24 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: c2k]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: c2k

Blue collar environment on the other hand, I do miss being in it on a full time basis, everything was quick and simple with a little bullshitting around.
simple minds

#8552582 - 02/12/16 11:25 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

You're cutting into my leaving early time

#8552583 - 02/12/16 11:26 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Euphoricuck]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
 Originally Posted By: c2k

simple minds

care to elaborate further?

#8552593 - 02/12/16 11:33 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

So you are comparing making business decisions to brain surgery? Again, a brain surgeon doesn't know all the variables because they aren't known. In most business situations, the variables are known, but the senior managers don't want to take the time to understand. You hired a subject matter expert, let them give you a complete picture.

So business decisions aren't time sensitive?

I get where you are coming from, there is a time and place to discuss all details, including why you colour coded your boxes the way you did. But in the end I am of the opinion (right or wrong) if you are a highly paid professional (whatever the fuck that means) you should be able to answer complex questions in a simple format where you identify all big risks (including that of not having complete information) and give context in terms of probability of what the outcomes can be. The person making the decision is ultimately responsible for it if it doesn't work and it's on them to decide if they need to listen more next time to avoid a fuck up. But if it's working, then answer as you are asked.

#8552812 - 02/12/16 02:33 PM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Risky Business]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
frig everyone does that. people feel the need to sit down and tell me their entire medical history when all i asked for was their health card. i really don't need to know you had paining in your knee in 1992.

Edited by titty sprinkles (02/12/16 02:34 PM)

#8552948 - 02/12/16 04:37 PM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: titty sprinkles]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles
frig everyone does that. people feel the need to sit down and tell me their entire medical history when all i asked for was their health card. i really don't need to know you had paining in your knee in 1992.

#8553124 - 02/12/16 10:19 PM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Euphoricuck]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
lulz.

i can see what vas means...so true.

and +1 re. brits doing that. holy crap we have 2 in our office and dudes just go on and on, like i just nod and say ok like 15 times.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8553349 - 02/13/16 11:43 AM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Risky just needs to learn how to listen to people.

Tip from the master himself:

#8555135 - 02/15/16 02:58 PM Re: When you talk to people... [Re: Just A Troll]
fatso Offline
Post Master

Loc: Ontario
I have certain colleagues as well as customers that are like this... always take the damn scenic route to get to the same result. My theory is that it's because they have no sense of urgency. As such, each time I need to communicate with them, I speed up my speech a little. It works well for me.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads