Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7149971 - 06/28/13 02:24 AM Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Quote:
Toronto’s 3,100 firefighters have been awarded a 14.26 per cent wage increase over a five-year contract.

The arbitration award, which covers the period from Jan. 1, 2010, to Dec. 31, 2014, means a first-class firefighter will earn $87,923 as of Jan. 1 this year.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/06/27/toronto_firefighters_get_big_pay_hike.html

#7150025 - 06/28/13 06:08 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Risky Business]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Loc: T.O.
IB355
#7150029 - 06/28/13 06:14 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Denis Si]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Time to work for the public service. Firefighter job FTW, work a few days on then a few off, tons of free time to do side jobs.
#7150033 - 06/28/13 06:18 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Risky Business]
SilverSiR2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Meh these guys do more than cops and get paid way less, hard for me to get angry over this really.

#7150039 - 06/28/13 06:24 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: SilverSiR2]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
I'm not mad.
#7150048 - 06/28/13 06:38 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: SilverSiR2]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: SilverSiR2
Meh these guys do more than cops and get paid way less, hard for me to get angry over this really.

That's a pretty idiotic statement.

Cops deal with their fair share of crap, probably more so than firefighters, but firefighters do have a lower life expectancy.

#7150073 - 06/28/13 07:10 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Risky Business]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
 Originally Posted By: Risky & Son

Cops deal with their fair share of crap, probably more so than firefighters, but firefighters do have a lower life expectancy.

You do know that they do more than just fighting fires right?

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#7150118 - 06/28/13 07:59 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Risky Business]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
Time to work for the public service. Firefighter job FTW, work a few days on then a few off, tons of free time to do side jobs.

my schedule is very similar to the firefighter/police/paramedic and I get 29 weeks off in the year except i dont get those redonk pay incease they get \:\(

#7150140 - 06/28/13 08:14 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: c2k]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
what the fuck.

#definitelydoingitwrong

#7150153 - 06/28/13 08:23 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Euphoricuck]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

^^ LMAO, the average firefighter now makes more than the average engineer. Thank you recession in '95 for keeping me out of the profession.
#7150166 - 06/28/13 08:27 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
I did the the math on my wage increase 14% over the next 5 years.

DAMN. that's a lotta dough, I'd be living the life, wayne-style!

#7150178 - 06/28/13 08:32 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: c2k]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, ON, Canada
My brother better be buying me a steak dinner on account of this, because firefighter.

While I agree that working 7 24hr shifts in a month would be pretty nice, it's also pretty taxing if you're mid sleep and get a call and have to be dressed and on the truck in seconds. It's like cold starting your body and mashing the gas.

And anytime stuff like this goes to arbitration, you know someone gonna get paid.

#7150184 - 06/28/13 08:35 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: 4Three]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 4Three
it's also pretty taxing if you're mid sleep and get a call and have to be dressed and on the truck in seconds. It's like cold starting your body and mashing the gas.

oh poor baby.
gtfo

*in car on my way to sign up*

#7150203 - 06/28/13 08:41 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Euphoricuck]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada
not that i've had any experiences with a fire fighter, but anyone who's job description starts with, "go into a burning building to help others" deserves all the money they earn.

desk jockeys (myself included) do NOT deserve the pay we get lol

#7150214 - 06/28/13 08:47 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Hatorade]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Hatorade

You do know that they do more than just fighting fires right?

#7150217 - 06/28/13 08:48 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

how many fires are there in your hood a month?

I think they respond more to accidents etc than actual fires.

*not downplaying what they should be paid..good on the union, but every single one of these jobs is over hyped*

#7150218 - 06/28/13 08:48 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: 4Three]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
My brother better be buying me a steak dinner on account of this, because firefighter.

While I agree that working 7 24hr shifts in a month would be pretty nice, it's also pretty taxing if you're mid sleep and get a call and have to be dressed and on the truck in seconds. It's like cold starting your body and mashing the gas.

And anytime stuff like this goes to arbitration, you know someone gonna get paid.

One of my good buddies is a Captain.. I'd love to get paid to sleep, lol.

#7150246 - 06/28/13 08:56 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: LNXGUY]
Kid Bro Sweets Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA
just under 3% a year increase is ok for them, just take it out of the police force budget,

"Without this thinking you would see, you would see numbers that you wouldn't believe in reverse."

#7150268 - 06/28/13 09:12 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Euphoricuck]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
it's also pretty taxing if you're mid sleep and get a call and have to be dressed and on the truck in seconds. It's like cold starting your body and mashing the gas.

oh poor baby.
gtfo

*in car on my way to sign up*

sometimes, on a rare occassion, you're not a fucking know-it-all idiot. this isn't one of those times. you're going to argue that being woken up mid sleep isn't bad for you? mm'kay ...

#7150295 - 06/28/13 09:26 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: 4Three]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

ya Im crying for them.

Happens every shift too... err no.

say it happens 75% of the time(hypothetical situation for the slow people) on your 7 shifts...so 4-5 times a month you get woken up mid sleep(and I doubt its even that high). Even if it was every shift... omg the huge manatee. Anyone with a kid is getting way less sleep and has that happen to them way more than that. (blah blah about waking up for a kid isnt the same as going to a call. thats not my point)

gimme a break. Thats not on the radar of tough things to deal with for the job.

nice to bring it to a personal attack though you little bitch.

#7150509 - 06/28/13 10:47 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Euphoricuck]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

i'm sorry that calling you out is considered a personal attack. my bad.

if you're a firefighter, i'll gladly concede. but unless you are, or your sibling is a firefighter, i don't think you can speak to this on equal footing. altho i'm sure you read something somewhere online that that gives you all the info and first hand accounts. sorry, we should all bow down to your supreme knowledge on everything.

all i'm saying is that getting woken up mid sleep is bad for the body and you seem to be disputing that. read my original comment again. and when you do become a parent, let me know how fun it is waking up in the middle of the night to a crying baby and having to function like you're not drugged up. talk to people suffering from sleep apnea and ask them how their heart feels waking up constantly in the night. I'm sure it's lots of fun.

ya, it's not very frequent, but it does happen. just like dealing with fires isn't an every-shift occurrence, but you blowing it off as nothing is like saying, 'oh cops only get shot at once every couple of years. no biggie.'

please, telling me to GTFO ... put your money where you mouth is. go sign up.

#7150560 - 06/28/13 11:06 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: 4Three]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

That wasnt calling me out. That was a personal attack against me which had nothing to do with the topic at hand...

and theres just no possible way I know any fire fighters (or police officers for that matter). Its an impossibility in todays world. In fact I dont know any real people.

my mother also has sleep apnea(though not sure what sleep apnea has to do with anything right now)...but really my name is watson and I only "experience" things online and pwn people when they let me out on jeopardy.

Im saying getting woken up mid sleep is part of their job, and it doesnt even happen that often. A parent has to deal with that specific thing in much greater capacity. Its hardly a tough part of their(fire fighters)job. Many things would rank higher as being difficult in that profession. If the getting up in the middle of the night is overly hard for you(which it can be for some) than maybe you need to look into a different line of work.

And cops dont even get shot at every couple of yrs...not in this province. where do you think we live?

If anything being a police officer in a remote town in the north is way more dangerous by comparison to the country club city.

and stats support that. In fact both police and fire barely make the top 10 of most dangerous jobs in this country. Ive always pointed that out. Construction is way more dangerous so are things like working in manufacturing or even being a truck driver. Its over hyped. This isnt dc where cops get paid 30k and dont know if they will come home after a shift.

its glorified to the nth degree.

I should sign up for it. Id get a raise to start, with guaranteed raises moving foward. You think I couldnt hack it or something?

Im not a 80 lbs china man.
My buddy(among others) has been with hamilton police services for yrs now. Easily paid for a new frs and is enjoying the work so far(I cant afford an frs). I personally dont want to be a police officer because I dont want to be running around giving people a hard time over bullshit traffic violations. And having a family with shift work is always difficult.

But fire... its a very attractive job for a multitude of reasons. That doesnt mean it doesnt come with its challenges..what job doesnt? Even slinging fries at the drive through has difficulties.

Fire is more first responders (even before paramedics) than actual "fire" fighters.

fires on the whole are a rare occurrence.

#7150564 - 06/28/13 11:09 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: 4Three]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Firefighters are chillin 90% of the time. Good on them for getting that job (hard to get in most places) and good for them to get a raise.

As for the comment of desks vs firefighters - 1 gets paid for manual labour and potential risk and one gets paid for their brains. Totally different.

#7150569 - 06/28/13 11:10 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: JEFFOS]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: JEFFOS69
Firefighters are chillin 90% of the time.

You obviously dont know people in real life.

Im with you though. Im not against all unions(they have their place) and good on people for getting in there.

#7150616 - 06/28/13 11:49 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Euphoricuck]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

That doesnt mean it doesnt come with its challenges..what job doesnt?

that's all i wanted to hear.

whatever the reason for people choosing a career in emergency/armed services, they're still putting our lives ahead of theirs. all of them deserve some recognition/respect.

#7150674 - 06/28/13 12:35 PM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
A2B-Lexus Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Raptors Land
 Originally Posted By: c_snapper
not that i've had any experiences with a fire fighter, but anyone who's job description starts with, "go into a burning building to help others" deserves all the money they earn.

Agreed

Originally Posted By: c_snapper

desk jockeys (myself included) do NOT deserve the pay we get lol

Speak for yourself....lol \:D Gimme mo $$$.

#7150782 - 06/28/13 01:23 PM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: 4Three]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

That doesnt mean it doesnt come with its challenges..what job doesnt?

that's all i wanted to hear.

whatever the reason for people choosing a career in emergency/armed services, they're still putting our lives ahead of theirs. all of them deserve some recognition/respect.

I agree, but I dont think their life is more valued than ours, nor is it as dangerous job as the media portrays, especially in this country. United state is a different bag.
I do think they(and pretty much anyone) should be going for as much money as they can errrrrrr get as much as they are comfortable with. Obviously theres more to life than money, but thats a different topic.

#7151081 - 06/28/13 03:29 PM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Euphoricuck]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Blame it on the teachers and cut their pay, I am going to protest at Dundas square tomorrow. See you all there.
#7151234 - 06/28/13 04:37 PM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Risky Business]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
maybe we just need to start more fires to make them work for it?

we can start with police stations and schools...

#7151297 - 06/28/13 05:07 PM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

#7153892 - 07/01/13 08:32 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Euphoricuck]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/worl...rticle12901938/

19 firefighters, when was the last time 19 cops died at once in North America. Overpaid donut eaters

#7154849 - 07/01/13 05:33 PM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
That's less then 3% a year, big deal, lol.

#7155625 - 07/02/13 02:24 AM Re: Toronto firefighters land big pay hike in arbitrated contrac [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
355-Si Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
That's a totally different classification of fire fighters though. Urban vs forest fire guys. Way more risk involved with the forestry departments.
Urban departments don't have nearly as much risk.
7% of Toronto Fire's calls are fire related... Basically 100% of these forest guys' calls are fires.
Whereas out of that 7% it takes from false alarms to blazes and ending in between... The 100% for forestry is anything from brush to insanity.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads