Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7125293 - 06/13/13 01:57 PM Wooden fences
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Loc: You Know
Wife and I are thinking about getting a wooden fence installed in the backyard to replace the ugly builders chain link and for more privacy.

I heard of asking the surrounding neighbours about chipping in to reduce the cost but my wife came up with other questions like:
1. Do the neighbours have a say in what company to choose? Of course they would like the cheapest.
2. What about deign? Do they have a say in that too?
3. If one or all opt out and later on they remove their portion of the fence then essentially they didn't pay for that portion and my land had been reduced. Can I do anything about it?

Any other problems that can come up?

Anyone have connections to a good fence company?

tia

#7125343 - 06/13/13 02:22 PM Re: Wooden fences [Re: civic13]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
google ontario fence act

it'l tell you all the guidelines and the law/rights for you to have a fence.

#7126556 - 06/14/13 05:37 AM Re: Wooden fences [Re: c2k]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Loc: You Know
Thanks.

Anyone that has had a bad/good experience with one or more of their neighbors about installing a fence?

#7126751 - 06/14/13 08:59 AM Re: Wooden fences [Re: civic13]
fatso Offline
Post Master

Loc: Ontario
My parents went thru this about a decade ago. The back portion of the fence was already up before we had moved in however the left and right sides were completely unfenced. We spoke to our neighbors on both sides - while one was in for the fence and shared the cost, the other neighbor didn't care for it as they were going to be moving out within a year or two and refused to chip in. Parents ended up paying for one side entirely and half of the other. No issues since then that I'm aware of.
#7126810 - 06/14/13 09:27 AM Re: Wooden fences [Re: fatso]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
A friend of mine had an issue with his neighbour regarding fencing. My fiend wanted a more expensive wood plank and they other guy wanted a cheaper version. They decided to do a solid fence on both sides so both would get what they want without affecting the other. Not sure what compromise they did on the frame and post but it worked out for them.

In my townhouse row, the fences are starting to be replaced and from what I've seen so far, the person initiating the new fence has paid the cost for the joining fence. This has created a mishmash of styles in the back that I don't think looks good but you can't really force your neighbour to chip in if they don't think it's needed. I replaced my back fence as it had a serious lean going on but the sides are still original.

#7127412 - 06/14/13 01:02 PM Re: Wooden fences [Re: Big Tasty]
The Postman Offline
A-List Member also The Man
Post Master Sr

My old townhome I shared the cost of one fence and got stuck alone with the other. One neighbour asked me if I wanted to split the cost of the fence, so I said sure as long as it wasnt done half-assed. Fence turned out great and since it was their idea and they hired the guy, I only had to pay for my half of the materials and no labour. Got a legit receipt and everything.

Other side was a different story. I approached my neighbour and told her I was putting a fence up and it would be great if she split the cost of the materials. I was going to have the same guy do it, so I showed her the receipt with what her cost would be (same as my half from the other side). She said "nope, not interested". Fence went up anyway and we just used the cruddy boards on her side.

About a week later she pulls the same thing with her neighbour on the otherside and wouldn't share the cost. She basically got a fully fenced yard for free. Now you can somehow make your neighbours share the cost, but I think its only the cost of a basic chainlink type deal. I couldnt be bothered.

In my new place, my 2 neighbours are both from old school Italian famailies and both have told me their dad/uncle/cousin/brother/etc will help build a fence so it prob wont cost much lol.

#7153811 - 07/01/13 07:17 AM Re: Wooden fences [Re: civic13]
kadmilrampton Offline

Loc: 152 V Laura St, Jacksonville, ...
 Originally Posted By: civic13
Wife and I are thinking about getting a wooden fence installed in the backyard to replace the ugly builders chain link and for more privacy.

I heard of asking the surrounding neighbours about chipping in to reduce the cost but my wife came up with other questions like:
1. Do the neighbours have a say in what company to choose? Of course they would like the cheapest.
2. What about deign? Do they have a say in that too?
3. If one or all opt out and later on they remove their portion of the fence then essentially they didn't pay for that portion and my land had been reduced. Can I do anything about it?

Any other problems that can come up?

Anyone have connections to a good fence company?

tia

I wish I could help you with any fence company but currently I'm not having any kind of contact but yes I can suggest you something that would definitely help you while building your fence, before going for fencing just make sure of some steps like
1.Determine Spacing for Fence Posts
2.Prepare Holes and Posts
3.Set Posts
4.Attach Rails to Fence Posts
5.Install Fence Boards

As these steps helped me while I was making my outdoor fence and it look like this this,,Lastly I hope that my suggestion would help you at least a bit!!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads